Microsoft Confirms PS4 Will Work Through Xbox One HDMI Port

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft Confirms PS4 Will Work Through Xbox One HDMI Port

Xbox One vs PS4

Microsoft says that yes, you can plug a PlayStation 4 into the Xbox One's HDMI port, but it would really rather you didn't.

Speaking at the Tokyo Game Show last week, Albert Penello, the senior director of product management and planning for the Xbox, declined to directly answer the question of whether the Xbox One would support a video feed from a PlayStation 4 through its HDMI port - but he did say later on, while talking about the console's ability to "snap" applications to the side of the screen, that "any application can be snapped to a game... this could be the live TV feed, so if you wanted to be playing Ryse and Killzone at the same time, you could snap that."

Killzone, of course, is a PlayStation-exclusive franchise, so that seemed to be that, and in a follow-up post on NeoGAF Penello confirmed that the Xbox One will in fact pass a PS4 signal through its HDMI port - but added that he doesn't think it's a good idea.

"I'll get back with a more detailed story, but long story short it won't be a great experience, and I indicated as much in the interview which wasn't included. HDMI latency is fine for video feeds, but not great interactive," he wrote. "Its also funny to me that this was basically a quick question I was asked after a UI demo, which I answered, but its written like I made a big deal about it..."

Does that sound reasonable? I'm asking honestly, because I don't know - it strikes me as a bit of a dubious proposition, but my experience in such things is limited to passing a TRS-80 through a VCR back in the day. We'll find out the moment both consoles are available, because you just know that as soon as it can be done, it will be done, but in the meantime, what do you think?

Sources: NeoGAF, GameSpot

So he states that HDMI latency 'wouldn't be great for interactive' yet is a part of a company claiming that shunting graphical processing serverside 'with the power of the cloud' is a-ok?

Right.

I think I'm going to try this as soon as I get hold of both consoles.

Just for laughs.

This kinda sounds incestuous... can we plug a Xbone into an XBone into another Xbone and so on?

rofltehcat:
This kinda sounds incestuous... can we plug a Xbone into an XBone into another Xbone and so on?

That's some "inhuman centipede" action you've got going there.

Andy Chalk:

"Its also funny to me that this was basically a quick question I was asked after a UI demo, which I answered, but its written like I made a big deal about it..."

Albert Penello just doesn't understand PR. It doesn't matter if he makes a big deal out of his comments or not. What matters is if the media and potential customers make a big deal out of it. Of course, not understanding the importance of PR, a top-ranking MS exec once again blows off public scrutiny.

rofltehcat:

Or what if you plug an XB1 into itself?!? O.O!

Of course I can see why saying yes to such a thing makes it look like he's encouraging people to buy a PS4. But he must realize they must first buy the Xbox One to perform such a maneuver. As the competition they are unable to say anything good about their opponent even offhandedly (I'm surprised that's a word). I doubt any name calling or bad mouthing will change anyone's mind at this point. Similar to the presidential election at least 80% of people have made up their minds and know what they're going to buy. Still if someone wants to purchase both, I say more power to them.

Now all we need to be able to do is run a WiiU feed through the back of the PS4 while it's connected to the Xbone and the summoning ritual will be complete.

Ah ha! So if you want to hook your PS4 up to an HDMI recorder, you can get around mean ol' Sony not wanting you to by running it through an Xbox180 first.

Alternatively, use this feature to produce videos of yourself pulling up the 180 dashboard while playing Killzone 4 to convince your more gullible friends that you have the 180 version of the game.

So let me get this straight.. their HDMI port is going to be laggy, and even though they've essentially opened up all sorts of "snap" features they're telling us it's a bad feature?

This reminds me of the days when you'd have a cable running from the wall into an NES brick, a Genesis brick, an SNES brick, a VCR brick and ending with the VCR cord's connection to the TV. Glad Microsoft is feeling nostalgic.

Ed130:
So he states that HDMI latency 'wouldn't be great for interactive' yet is a part of a company claiming that shunting graphical processing serverside 'with the power of the cloud' is a-ok?

Right.

stabnex:
So let me get this straight.. their HDMI port is going to be laggy, and even though they've essentially opened up all sorts of "snap" features they're telling us it's a bad feature?

+1 on both of these. However, It astounds me how much M$ is making a big deal out of the XBONE as this "Media Hub."

A proper response to this question would have been "why not just plug it into your TV?" However, if he'd done this, it would undermine M$'s whole business strategy of selling us our own televisions.

Just...there's just so many things I want to say...how do I even articulate?

Or I could just... y'know, have them plugged into separate HDMI ports on the back of my TV, and use the input selection.

MinionJoe:

Andy Chalk:

"Its also funny to me that this was basically a quick question I was asked after a UI demo, which I answered, but its written like I made a big deal about it..."

Albert Penello just doesn't understand PR. It doesn't matter if he makes a big deal out of his comments or not. What matters is if the media and potential customers make a big deal out of it. Of course, not understanding the importance of PR, a top-ranking MS exec once again blows off public scrutiny.

rofltehcat:

XBONECEPTION.

BWOOOOONG.

tangoprime:
Or I could just... y'know, have them plugged into separate HDMI ports on the back of my TV, and use the input selection.

Doing it that way will render all those 'amazing' TV features the Xbone has unavailable to you, which is pretty much the only thing it has over the PS4 right now.

That and exclusives.

Ed130:

tangoprime:

Doing it that way will render all those 'amazing' TV features the Xbone has unavailable to you, which is pretty much the only thing it has over the PS4 right now.

That and exclusives.

Oh god, how will I say what I want to watch to my TV, have the Xbox think it's something completely different and take me to something I don't want to watch now? I'll have to go back to using reliable buttons!

ToastiestZombie:

Ed130:

tangoprime:

That and exclusives.

Oh god, how will I say what I want to watch to my TV, have the Xbox think it's something completely different and take me to something I don't want to watch now? I'll have to go back to using reliable buttons!

Hence the 'amazing' terminology. The stupidest thing about all this is that anyone who uses an internal decoder (which is fairly sizeable portion outside of America) won't be able to use those features anyway.

How come nobody asked this yet?
Is it possible to short-circuit a console through it's HDMI port?
(Or at least the video output circuit, but you understand my point here).
Other than that (not following the Xbox One updates) what more enhancements could it possibly bring to have an already HDMI capable device run through another and not just snap it directly to the TV?

g3ko:
How come nobody asked this yet?
Is it possible to short-circuit a console through it's HDMI port?

That'd be both hilarious and sad and I believe it is 100% in Microsoft's capacity to ship consoles that blow out when people (inevitably) do this.

captcha: good job

...So....By getting both consoles and hooking them up like this, I can play PS4 games on X-Bone?
/Might have misunderstood something.

Diablo1099:
...So....By getting both consoles and hooking them up like this, I can play PS4 games on X-Bone?
/Might have misunderstood something.

Yes, but it'll have a delay because the Xbone needs to process the image and sound signals first. At least this is how I understand it.
This way you can use the Xbone's multi tasking functionality (quickly switch to TV, Skype, whatever) and then switch back to the PS4's game stream. You could even play a game on the Xbone and then quickly switch to an already running game on the PS4, then switch back quickly to the Xbone game...

In theory it is interesting but in the end you can just hook up the PS4 to the TV via another HDMI port and switch between Xbone and PS4 via the TV's source selection. So it isn't really useful, it is just one consequence from the Xbone's "box to plug all other boxes into" design.

rofltehcat:
Yes, but it'll have a delay because the Xbone needs to process the image and sound signals first. At least this is how I understand it.
This way you can use the Xbone's multi tasking functionality (quickly switch to TV, Skype, whatever) and then switch back to the PS4's game stream. You could even play a game on the Xbone and then quickly switch to an already running game on the PS4, then switch back quickly to the Xbone game...

In theory it is interesting but in the end you can just hook up the PS4 to the TV via another HDMI port and switch between Xbone and PS4 via the TV's source selection. So it isn't really useful, it is just one consequence from the Xbone's "box to plug all other boxes into" design.

Mmmm, How much Delay? We talking several whole seconds or more Online Game Lag?

Still, something for the back of the box Blurb: "Plug in your PS4 for the Ultimate Gaming Experience!"

XBone! So great, you have to plug in a different console to get games to play!

Other than that, I'm really not sure what this is about, short of replicating in modern form those old coaxial grey boxes that the NES and SNES and whatnot all had.

Diablo1099:

Whole seconds seems unlikely. Probably just a few milliseconds; probably quite a bit less than typical online game lag, actually. But lag is cumulative, and some games are very lag unfriendly (many fighting games and, rather ironically, FPS's).

Pyrian:

Diablo1099:

Whole seconds seems unlikely. Probably just a few milliseconds; probably quite a bit less than typical online game lag, actually. But lag is cumulative, and some games are very lag unfriendly (many fighting games and, rather ironically, FPS's).

Still, provided you can take the Lag, it is a functional feature for the most part, right?

Edit: Typo fixed.

Diablo1099:
Still, provided you can take the Lag, it is a functional feature for the most part, right?

I expect so. And if you're passing through non-interactive video - movies, TV, etc. - the lag will not be noticeable.

Or, y'know, you could plug them into separate ports in your TV and use the TV's PiP.

....WAIT.....waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitWAIT!

I remember hooking my nes through a cable box connector, the VCR and into my TV..... and didn't get lag.

ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT WE HAVE GONE BACKWARDS TECHNOLOGICALLY!?

Question: If I say, "Xbone, play games", will it turn on the PS4?

Pyrian:

Diablo1099:

I expect so. And if you're passing through non-interactive video - movies, TV, etc. - the lag will not be noticeable.

Or, y'know, you could plug them into separate ports in your TV and use the TV's PiP.

I know, just trying to understand this "Feature".
Cheers.

rofltehcat:

When an Xbone and a PS4 love each other very much, the daddy PS4 passes his information into the Mummy Xbone's HDMI port, Mummy Xbone then collects all this information and after enough time to process it, it exits through the live TV feed, and that's how a Wii U is made!

Hero in a half shell:

rofltehcat:

When an Xbone and a PS4 love each other very much, the daddy PS4 passes his information into the Mummy Xbone's HDMI port, Mummy Xbone then collects all this information and after enough time to process it, it exits through the live TV feed, and that's how a Wii U is made!

Oh god I'm wheezing on the floor.

No wonder the Wii U is doing poorly.

AAAH My technologically retarded brain! It's melting!!! MELTING!!!
Seriously though, seeing this on the sideboard got my interest, but I can't understand a word that's being said. Can someone please explain it in simple English for me please?

MinionJoe:

Xbox Infinity? It'd be like typing 'google' into google, the whole universe would collapse in on itself.

SilverLion:
AAAH My technologically retarded brain! It's melting!!! MELTING!!!
Seriously though, seeing this on the sideboard got my interest, but I can't understand a word that's being said. Can someone please explain it in simple English for me please?

In plain English:
You can play your playstation through your xbone and if your evil you can convince your less than intelligent friends that your xbone is special and can play PS4 games...... hmmmm.....

Fappy:
This reminds me of the days when you'd have a cable running from the wall into an NES brick, a Genesis brick, an SNES brick, a VCR brick and ending with the VCR cord's connection to the TV. Glad Microsoft is feeling nostalgic.

I too know of this kind of roundabout way to connect the gaming system to the TV.

Also, :D now I guess we know why the X-Box One looks so much like a VCR!

This reminds me of how you could swap the power cords out on Xbox's and PS2's.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here