Mighty No. 9's First In-Game Footage

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mighty No. 9's First In-Game Footage

Mighty No. 9 will run on Epic's Unreal 3 engine.

When legendary game designer and Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune revealed his Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter, you guys threw money at him so fast he had to add more stretch goals. To prove just how serious Inafune and his team are, developer Comcept USA has produced a 13 second "super-short, super-rough engine test Inti Creates made in just seven days to see if [the Unreal engine] would be viable for Mighty No. 9".

Nonetheless, the demo does look pretty neat. It looks like Concept has gone for a "2.5D" feel, utilizing 3D models in a 2D space, not unlike Shadow Complex. The team does, however, stress that "The game will not necessarily look like this video, move like this video, or act like this video -- this is a completely rough test only, made in literally one week, using all placeholder assets and animation."

Comcept says that the decision to use the Unreal engine is ultimately the best one, as it means "our team can spend less time worrying about technical mumbo-jumbo, and more time focused on things that really matter to a game like this -- like the feel of the controls, the style of a character's animation, the atmosphere of a level, the balance of Beck's transformations -- the important stuff!"

There's still one day left in the Kickstarter campaign, so if you want to see this game hit its next-gen and 3DS/Vita stretch goals now is the time to contribute! If not, the only platforms that Mighty No. 9 will see initial release on are PC, Mac, Linux, Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS3. The team currently has a rough "November 2014" release date for the game.

Source: Kickstarter

Wow...That actually looks really good! O_O
So this is what Mega Man would look like if Capcom didn't keep him 8-Bit? Cool!

Geez, capcom are behind the curve of their own property. I'm glade the Original MM creator got his chance to do this, i'll be glad to buy this :)

Hmm, that demo shows promise. Glad I put $20 in to the kickstarter project.
Now I got a long time to decide, PC or PS3 version?...

Well, it looks like mega man, and it looks good. Wish we got some sound though.

Also, nice new face there, Steven. =w= b

Looks good for just a rough build done in a week, I can't wait for this thing to be released so I can support it since I was unable to give to the kickstarter.

Darren716:
Looks good for just a rough build done in a week, I can't wait for this thing to be released so I can support it since I was unable to give to the kickstarter.

Well as of my posting there are still 21 hours to go... I've never done a KS before I hope things work out well for this one.

This just in: the next gen stretch goal has been reached! The game will now be available on the Xbox One and PS4! Now lets hit that portable stretch goal!

Good and all, but I somehow hoped they'd go for a more cell-shaded, comicky style for this game (considering its spiritual ancestor). This looks a bit too... shiny. But this is obviously all placeholder-stuff, anyway, so who knows what it'll actually look like when it's done, even if they don't go for a comicky style.

I don't have the funds to help kickstart this wonderful game but I will buy it day 1 if it holds true. :)

I might pick this game up on Steam, though I hope they release a demo.

You see this, Capcom? Fans are not only willing to pay good money for a Mega Man game, they're even more willing to give even more money for it to not be made by you! If that isn't the final straw that gets them to take a second look at how they're doing these days, I have no idea what will.

Oh look, another indie 2/2.5D game.

Just... too many.

So far it looks good, glad to see something similar to Mega Man with some aded flavor show up, totally worth the donation. Best of luck to Inafune and his team.

Take notes Capcom. Title it "Our downfall".

Mighty No9 has just broken the 3.3 million barrier meaning that it will also release on the two next gen consoles.

Arnoxthe1:
Oh look, another indie 2/2.5D game.

Just... too many.

I know right? I mean what is next? Another 3D Triple A title? I want my smell-o-vision people.

OT: This feels a bit bitter sweet. It is like getting what you always wanted (a new gen megaman game on home consoles) but not at the same time (not actually a megaman game). Oh well I can't really complain. I mean we all know what happened to Megamanin the hands of Capcom. His only new game at the moment is a Japan excusive IOS game with 20 dollar production value.

Sad times indeed but not too sad.

Last day to back it has arrived, they've smashed through the next gen consoles, one more stetch goal for the Vita/3DS and it's coming to every console under the sun. Just looking at the test makes me glad I haven't gorged myself on 2D platformer games recently, by the time the development stage has ended I'll be real thirsty for a game like this.

I'm happy this game is getting made. I was backing it on day one and I was crossing my fingers that they'd even make 900k and now look at this. Insanity.

I wonder if we'll hear of another Kickstarter in a year or so: Might No. 9: Legends.
It would be only proper, just to kick Capcom in the teeth for not making MML3.

bafrali:
I know right? I mean what is next? Another 3D Triple A title? I want my smell-o-vision people.

OK. So just because something is 3D, it automatically needs to be triple-A? Are you serious?

Arnoxthe1:

bafrali:

OK. So just because something is 3D, it automatically needs to be triple-A? Are you serious?

I think you missed the point a bit. Reason why indie games uses 2.5 D is because it is easier to animate, cheaper and mod friendly since indie games often live or die with their community support on PC. You may not like the reality but so few indie studio has the budget to make a full blown 3D game or 2D games with lovely hand-drawn backgrounds (see. Rayman Legends which is one of the few examples this gen). So when someone complains about the 2.5D without thinking the rationale behind it, they sound like a bit of a dick to those who do.

Oh and it is clearly explained in the descripition that this is a very rough build and subject to change. So I suggest waiting before dismissing the game. You know, open mind and stuff.

bafrali:

Arnoxthe1:

bafrali:

I think you missed the point a bit. Reason why indie games uses 2.5 D is because it is easier to animate, cheaper and mod friendly. You may not like the reality them but so little indie studio has the budget to make a full blown 3D game or 2D games with lovely hand-drawn backgrounds (see. Rayman Legends). So when someone complains about the 2.5D without thinking the rationale behind it, they sound like a bit of a dick to those who do.

Oh and it is clearly explained in the descripition that this is a very rough build and subject to change. So I suggest waiting before dismissing the game. You know, open mind and stuff.

I think you missed the point even more. He didn't complain about the game's graphics or perspective. He's complaining that 2.5D sidescrolles somehow became the norm for indie games. How many recent titles were like that? I can tell you a few , shovel knight and rogue legacy comes to mind. Why do people think that the only game you can make as an indie developer is a generic 2.5d platformer with one lame gimmick that distinguishes it from the rest.

Also, bringing up another thing you said: "You may not like the reality them but so little indie studio has the budget to make a full blown 3D game or 2D games with lovely hand-drawn backgrounds (see. Rayman Legends). So when someone complains about the 2.5D without thinking the rationale behind it, they sound like a bit of a dick to those who do. "

People who say that sound like even bigger dicks. Have you ever heard of Dungeon Defenders? It's an indie game also made on the unreal engine by about 10 people, with no kickstarter or anything. Yet it has an interesting mechanic and very vibrant and colorful graphics, not to mention fully 3D. So please don't assume that you know how indie studios work or what they are capable of.

Arnoxthe1:

bafrali:
-partial snip-

I think you missed the point a bit. Reason why indie games uses 2.5 D is because it is easier to animate, cheaper and mod friendly since indie games often live or die with their community support on PC. You may not like the reality but so few indie studio has the budget to make a full blown 3D game or 2D games with lovely hand-drawn backgrounds (see. Rayman Legends which is one of the few examples this gen). So when someone complains about the 2.5D without thinking the rationale behind it, they sound like a bit of a dick to those who do.

Not to mention that in all but name, this is a Mega Man game and it has the potential to be the game that the fans have been baying for, for years. Mega Man. Traditional (nay, old-school) side-scrolling platform shooter. Writing it off with a roll of the eyes and a "Oh look, another indie 2/2.5D game" seems a bit of a foolish thing to do.

Not to mention they seem to have a seriously impressive amount of veteran talent on-board.

In other news, they look to only be about $50k off the 3DS/Vita stretch goal with 14 hours left. I think that one's a safe bet.

Victim of Progress:
snip

I never said these were the only games indies could or should make. I said people had reasons for doing so other than creative banktruptcy. So you have found an exception to my generalization. Good for you and good for the team who could afford such a thing. But dismissing an entire game from 10 seconds of footage (which is an extremely early build BTW) just because of the perspective sounds entirely dickish to me.

It is freaking Megaman. Of course it was going to be a platformer. What you are suggesting is like inviting Metallica to to play and then saying "Sorry but we have had metal songs for a week now. Can you play some Jazz?)

That looks damn good for a game that's only been in production for a week. Also usually sidescroller sprites don't translate well to 3d animations, but this looks actually pretty true to form. Glad I backed it.

bafrali:

Victim of Progress:
snip

I never said these were the only games indies could or should make. I said people had reasons for doing so other than creative banktruptcy. So you have found an exception to my generalization. Good for you and good for the team who could afford such a thing. But dismissing an entire game from 10 seconds of footage (which is an extremely early build BTW) just because of the perspective sounds entirely dickish to me.

It is freaking Megaman. Of course it was going to be a platformer. What you are suggesting is like inviting Metallica to to play and then saying "Sorry but we have had metal songs for a week now. Can you play some Jazz?)

You never said that they were the only games you can make, but you sure put a huge emphasis that it's a majority amongst indie games. Also, from what I can gather lack of creative bankruptcy is the main reason of the abundance of 2.5d sidescrollers. You can easily make a non-graphic intensive game and yet make it stand out among others, like Paper's Please. But most people go the easy route for the opportunistic buck. Also, he did not dismiss the game, he merely pointed out the overabundance of games in that genre, and not a single word was said about the quality of the gameplay footage.

Also, just because it's megaman, doesn't mean it automatically has to be a platformer. Have you ever played the battlenetwork series, or even that atrocious megaman 64 game. Yes it wasn't great but it had a different genre. Not to mention that unreleased megaman X FPS. He could've easily gone any genre he wanted, yet he went with the easiest path

Victim of Progress:
snip

So you can gather emphasis from my comment yet you fail to gather it from the one that is basically "bleh another 2D game?" I don't think I need to point out whic one of us was more subtle.

By the easiest path, you mean the most familiar path? Gee what do say to that Valve? Your award winning and bestselling games means nothing now. All you do is FPS man.

Listen I am sure it is not news to you but there is this thing called specialization. People generally get better at something longer they do it. Guess who was at the helm of the majority of the Megaman games which were primarily platformer games. And now guess what people expected and paid money for?

Look if you have grievances about the industry, please take it somewhere else. This is the occasion where we celebrate the long-desired revival of a classic series and the last thing this thread needs is the compleletely baffling argument about changing the genre. It is like gathering money from people to build an apartment and then changing it into a lighthouse to fulfill your arbitrary artistic desires.

I don't mind they are using the Unreal 3 Engine for the game, as Unreal Tournament 3 showed that the engine is capable of the correct aesthetics. The industry does need more game engines to help diversify the feel of the games out there, though. I recall last generation going into the licensed game engine direction, resulting in a ton of games that looked and felt the same.

Vita/3DS stretch goal reached; new stretch goals added: optional retro-style chiptune soundtrack/FX and an online race battle mode, at $3.8m and $4m respectively.

ARGH! Do I want this on PC, where I can appreciate the pretty pikchurs on my monitor, or on 3DS where it may feel more at home? Someone tell me!

Glad I'm backing this one.

Ha! Who got the last laugh now? I'm referring to those who were against the kickstarter. Seriously we probably would of gotten like that as an Megaman game if Capcom were smart.

bafrali:

OK, I will give you that I might have spoken a little out of line there. This is by the Mega Man creator and he wanted to make a spiritual successor to it.

Nevertheless, I also stand by most of what I said. My problem with the huge pile of indie 2/2.5D games is not with graphics. It's all about the gameplay. 3D offers a lot more general freedom in gameplay that 2D cannot offer. 2D can only go so far.

Just to prove that that graphics don't matter to me, like anyone, I love games like Minecraft and Payday. All of which are hardly graphics intensive by any stretch, especially the former. I like those kinds of games because they offer superior gameplay over their 2D indie counterparts and because they deliver something that is very unique.

Now, do they take more time to make? Definitely. Are they worth it? In my opinion, YES. A thousand times YES.

Arnoxthe1:
snip

Soooo? Seriously what are you trying to prove here? That you prefer 3D games over 2D games? Well we are glad to hear your opinion about it however irrevelant it may be in this thread. Maybe you want us to know that this game has lost you as a customer. What is your point here other than to redundantly say "this game does not appeal to me". Look for something else, fund other projects or play those superior games of yours and leave the small fries to us please. Thanks in advance

Hmm,seems preety neat.Never played Megaman,but hey,everyones gotta start somewhere.
Hope it doesent disapoint!

That's a pretty neato demo, I wonder what the other console versions are going to look like.

bafrali:

Soooo? Seriously what are you trying to prove here? That you prefer 3D games over 2D games? Well we are glad to hear your opinion about it however irrevelant it may be in this thread. Maybe you want us to know that this game has lost you as a customer. What is your point here other than to redundantly say "this game does not appeal to me". Look for something else, fund other projects or play those superior games of yours and leave the small fries to us please. Thanks in advance

Oh, so you want to play like that...

So what's YOUR point here? That you like the game? So does everyone else. They didn't need to hear that you like this game. What is your point here other than to redundantly say "this game appeals to me"?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.