Xbox One Is Not Designed With Advertising In Mind, Microsoft Says

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Xbox One Kinect

Microsoft Director of Product Planning Albert Penello says the company has better things to do than turn the Xbox One Kinect into an interactive targeted advertising machine.

There was a bit of a stink earlier this year when the word went out that the Xbox One, powered by vastly improved Kinect technology, was designed "with advertising in mind." It was a vague statement but it carried extra weight because of Microsoft's work on "NUads," a type of interactive advertising designed for the original Kinect that was first unveiled in 2011. And regardless of the specifics, nobody likes advertising, right?

But in response to questions about NUads on NeoGAF, Penello described them as "simply interactive advertising done on the platform," and said that concerns about Microsoft's plans for ads on the Xbox One are overblown. "What I think you're asking about is an interview done earlier in the year where someone was talking about how some of the new Xbox One Kinect features *could* be used in advertising - since we can see expressions, engagement, etc. and how that might be used to target advertising. This is the point that seems to draw some controversy," he wrote.

"First - nobody is working on that. We have a lot more interesting and pressing things to dedicate time towards. It was an interview done speculatively, and I'm not aware of any active work in this space," he continued. "Second - if something like that ever happened, you can be sure it wouldn't happen without the user having control over it. Period."

Penello noted that Microsoft could add some "cool features" if it enabled things like cloud-based facial recognition data storage but said that for "privacy reasons," that information never leaves the console; as well, the system stops the Skype video stream whenever the app isn't in focus, so it's impossible to have it going in the background, intentionally or otherwise.

"I'll say this - we take a lot of heat around stuff we've done and I can roll with it. Some of it is deserved," he wrote. "But preventing Kinect from being used inappropriately is something the team takes very seriously."

Source: NeoGAF

Andy Chalk:

Yeah, Bullshit.

You create a "ubiquitous" platform that everyone has and/or uses, and use it to sell advertising. TV, internet, Google, Public transport, etc etc etc. Their "All in one" machine is meant to be an advertising platform, fullstop. Else there wouldn't be 5-6 tiles dedicated to ads on the current xbox.

This coming from the console, that if memory serves, might give achievements for watching commercials? Yea, I'm calling BS, MS.

You plaster the dashboard with ad space, you use the Kinect 2 to spy on people so you know what to advertise to them, and then you say it's not built with ads in mind?! What the... just what?

In another startling announcement Micro$oft says they really do not care about money at all. Oh wait this is the real world, never mind.

I am thinking SteamOs and PS4 are going to bury this turd rather quickly.

I'm sure the 360 wasn't built with ads in mind either but that doesn't stop my tv from looking like a 1990s geocities website every time I turn it on.

The Hungry Samurai:
I'm sure the 360 wasn't built with ads in mind either but that doesn't stop my tv from looking like a 1990s geocities website every time I turn it on.

Don't log on.

Equivalent scenario, three 6 foot tall bodybuilders run up to you in a dark alley, the three of them surround you. Suddenly they grab each other's hands to form a circle around you and start spinning uncontrollably while chanting "we aren't mugging you". They walk away nonchalantly and you realize they haven't, after all, mugged you

Do you trust the 3 men?

My 360 home screen is already covered in ads, there's no way their 180 design didn't have that in mind. I dunno why he would even make a public statement to the contrary.

And next they will say that the Xbone is not designed with TV in mind and everything they said about TV was just speculative. Although I do fully believe that MS have better things to do than turn the Kinect into an advertising tool, they have their hands full trying to reduce the impact of the inevitable trainwreck that the Xbone launch will be.

How does the kinect 2 spy on you? Whats it gonna do, scan your face then sends you adverts for spot cream. lol.

Adverts on consoles dont bother me, they are in their own little area out the way, i just ignore them. People moaned about adverts on the 360 dashboard and i was never on the dashboard for more than 5 seconds. Its not like they will have adverts popping up mid game that pause your game until you close them.

Now, if your going to moan about adverts that are annoying, then unskippable trailers on dvds are so much worse in comparison.

It was an interview done speculatively

What utter balls.

The interview wasn't speculative. "With advertising in mind" isn't a summary or a suggestion, it's a direct quote from a Microsoft 'Xbox Live Advertising Developer' about what the Xbox Live UI would be.

It's not speculative if he's telling you the exact ethos behind the thing he is designing right at that point, and it cannot be retroactively changed because the Xbox Live UI has already been created and it was done so with that purpose.

At most you can claim to have backtracked once again on a previous policy, but you cannot claim that it somehow didn't happen that way when we have direct confirmation from an employee about what his focus was at the time he was designing it.

The first thing I see when my 360 is fully booted up is an ad. If the Xbone is not designed for advertising, then that is not the best precedent.

Yes, yes indeed.

CriticalMiss:
And next they will say that the Xbone is not designed with TV in mind and everything they said about TV was just speculative. Although I do fully believe that MS have better things to do than turn the Kinect into an advertising tool, they have their hands full trying to reduce the impact of the inevitable trainwreck that the Xbone launch will be.

From what i gather, the TV aspect is you plugging your cable box into your XB1 and using that to control it. Although it will still have certain specific channels on XB1 like that sport one. But then i would only use the console to play games anyway so for me its a non issue. Like people moan that they add Facebook to the 360 - just dont use it.

But as we know from all gamers. They all do a 180 on their opinions. XB1 will sell loads of consoles. Same as L4D2 sold loads of games, though everyone moaned and declared a boycott. At the moment i own an 360. But neither PS4 or XB1 interest me at the moment, there is no real wow factor - just seems more of the same with nicer graphics. So will wait till more interesting games get released in a year or two. Though may get a PS3 instead due to the cheap back catalog. :-)

Of course not, that would mean they actually used their minds when they designed it :P

Really? I would like to believe you, but the thing is you have directly contradicted yourself here.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125523-Xbox-One-Designed-With-Advertising-in-Mind

Uhm... I don't believe them and to be honest I don't know what is worse: Having a (expensive) machine designed to expose us to ads whenever possible? Or having a (expensive) machine with lots of ads tacked on in inconvenient places?

SonOfVoorhees:
But as we know from all gamers. They all do a 180 on their opinions. XB1 will sell loads of consoles. Same as L4D2 sold loads of games, though everyone moaned and declared a boycott.

I'm not sure the two are really all that equivalent. A console is much more expensive than a single game so a lot of people who are 'boycotting' the Xbone really won't get one, obviously a few people will buy one regardless of their grumbling but certainly not as many as those who get the games they are boycotting.

CriticalMiss:

SonOfVoorhees:
But as we know from all gamers. They all do a 180 on their opinions. XB1 will sell loads of consoles. Same as L4D2 sold loads of games, though everyone moaned and declared a boycott.

I'm not sure the two are really all that equivalent. A console is much more expensive than a single game so a lot of people who are 'boycotting' the Xbone really won't get one, obviously a few people will buy one regardless of their grumbling but certainly not as many as those who get the games they are boycotting.

Or the PS3, people moaning its expensive and they didnt want to pay extra just because it has a blueray drive. Gamers grumble, they moaned when MS had DRM and non 2nd hand sales, then they still moan that MS reversed it. They will moan regardless (an i admit i moaned about the XB1 when it was unveiled as well) but still people will buy one at some point if it has the games they want to play. An those that boycott may just wait till price decreases or until we get those unboxing and playing vids where we will see first hand whether its a good console or not.

But then i guess a lot of people are more effected by the XB1 issues than i am. Though even i wont get a next gen console as neither of them interest me right now.

There is a reason people are already calling it the AdBox.

So it has ads? You mean like every other media platform out there? Shocking.

If the ads are as bad as they currently are, then they're almost as bad as television and internet ads (at least they don't get in the way of starting your game up) when you have your TV or PC muted (and don't get me started on those video ads that don't automute their sound).

And for those people who say "but we paid for this," no, hardware in this industry is almost always sold at a loss, and every dime they get through other means is money you don't have to pay both on the front end and higher subscription fees (if required at all). For all those ads, I can still boot up my XBox and start a game with my television off (unless it's attached via the HDMI cable) and autostart disabled. 99% of the time, my "cursor" doesn't even move to the right.

Now put your complaints in perspective and calm the fuck down.

Who do you think you are fooling MS?, have you seriously turned on your freaking 360 lately?.

The Gentleman:

And for those people who say "but we paid for this," no, hardware in this industry is almost always sold at a loss, and every dime they get through other means is money you don't have to pay both on the front end and higher subscription fees (if required at all). For all those ads, I can still boot up my XBox and start a game with my television off (unless it's attached via the HDMI cable) and autostart disabled. 99% of the time, my "cursor" doesn't even move to the right.

Except Microsoft have already come out and said that they won't be selling the One at a loss and may even make a very small profit on each unit. We are getting much higher game prices next gen (in the UK) and many people will also be paying the super high subscription cost for Gold, but we will still also have to have the dashboard smothered in ads. Thanks, but no thanks - I think I will wait and see what the PS4 does on this front and then decide whether I want any of the consoles or not.

Just like how you gave users control over the hundreds of Ad's plastered on the Home tab of the 360 dashboard? I'm sorry, Microsoft. I've stuck by you but this... I'll believe it when I see it.

Hero in a half shell:

What utter balls.

The interview wasn't speculative. "With advertising in mind" isn't a summary or a suggestion, it's a direct quote from a Microsoft 'Xbox Live Advertising Developer' about what the Xbox Live UI would be.

It's not speculative if he's telling you the exact ethos behind the thing he is designing right at that point, and it cannot be retroactively changed because the Xbox Live UI has already been created and it was done so with that purpose.

At most you can claim to have backtracked once again on a previous policy, but you cannot claim that it somehow didn't happen that way when we have direct confirmation from an employee about what his focus was at the time he was designing it.

And ninja'd.
Microsoft are lying through their teeth.

Lying about an issue in a way that's pretty meaningless.
"Oh it's not designed with ads in mind." is not the same as "It won't have ads." or even "It won't have as many ads as the 360 UI."

There's nothing definitive about what they're saying so they can spin their "intentions" (or design) any way they want.
We already have strong evidence of (the 360's ad-clogged UI) what Microsoft intends to do in practice. Until they say something definitive, expect at least as many ads as the 360.

I have no idea what they hoped to accomplish with this interview.

synobal:
There is a reason people are already calling it the AdBox.

First time I've ever heard the term. But if the shoe fits..

The Gentleman:

Good advice. I shall try to draw rational comparisons to past, personal events...

My local newspaper has a website. For years, it had free public access using an ad-based revenue model. Then suddenly, they said ads weren't making enough money so they switched to a subcription-based service. A few people signed up ($8 a month for a local newspaper) and discovered that, while the paper was now charging people for access, it was still showing the advertisements that "weren't making any money".

Personally, I won't pay for a subscription-based service if it simultaneously draws ad-based revenue. Mostly, this is because the market has accepted either free-service with ads, or paid-service without. A lot of people seemed to agree with me as the newpaper's online service is defunct.

Now that I've calmed the fuck down and taken everything in perspective, I can definitively say I will not be buying an XB1 for the same reason I have not paid for X-Box Live Gold access.

So thanks! You've been helpful! :)

Hero in a half shell:

What utter balls.

Ya, I'm pretty sure that interview was meant to get investors excited about the One. I highly doubt that they're going to backtrack on a massive form of revenue. So I'm not sure what this blatant lying is supposed to achieve. Quell the fears of potential customers? Any potential customers of the One who are paying attention to this already know what they're getting into since they most likely have an Xbox 360 with Xbox Live, a paid service that puts priority of advertising over accessibility.

Germanicus:

The Gentleman:

Except Microsoft have already come out and said that they won't be selling the One at a loss and may even make a very small profit on each unit.

Unless that includes support costs (network maintenance, OS development, customer service, community services, etc.), I'm skeptical (alternatively, the ad platform may be what's pushing that into the black). MS has a duty to shareholders too (and they can get sued over fucking them over), so you're not going to come out right and say "hey, we're not making a dime in profit over this product we're selling."

We are getting much higher game prices next gen (in the UK) and many people will also be paying the super high subscription cost for Gold, but we will still also have to have the dashboard smothered in ads. Thanks, but no thanks - I think I will wait and see what the PS4 does on this front and then decide whether I want any of the consoles or not.

Until I actually see a product at retail 6 months in (or 1 month if it's a game), I'm going to hold back on judging the prices. Prices have the tendency to fluctuate on the first run (see: Apple products), so I always wait until about 1 year in to any hardware cycle before I start looking, so that they get the kinks out, and there's often a upgraded version available (I still use my original 360 elite and only recent had concerns about hitting its 120GB HD capacity). Unless XBox One is truly awful (and those dealbreaker features have since been removed), I will probably buy one sometime next November and a PS4 the year after.

MinionJoe:

The Gentleman:

Good advice. I shall try to draw rational comparisons to past, personal events...

My local newspaper has a website. For years, it had free public access using an ad-based revenue model. Then suddenly, they said ads weren't making enough money so they switched to a subcription-based service. A few people signed up ($8 a month for a local newspaper) and discovered that, while the paper was now charging people for access, it was still showing the advertisements that "weren't making any money".

They weren't. Assuming you're in the US (where the ad/subscription model was the cornerstone of journalism since WWII), readership has collapsed as more consumers drifted to high-traffic sites like Buzzfeed or Politico, partisan sites like Red State or Think Progress, or supplemented sites like CNN or ESPN (i.e. the website is not the main moneymaker). Many newspaper sites, such as the Washington Post or NYTimes, were loosing readership even before the paywall models started as delivery subscriptions tumbled, particularly after the 2008 economic crash and people started jettisoning any costs that were unnecessary (I can get the same news from X or Y. X costs money, Y doesn't. Why should I pay X if I can get news for free from Y?).

In other words, journalism is in a very different situation than gaming. Gaming does not make its money on traffic like advertising. Instead, the majority of costs are recouped through sales and licencing (and the alternative to that is illegal; AKA piracy). Journalism's problem lied in that they could no longer recoup its costs (i.e. journalists) because its competitors were effectively offering the same content for free. Gaming does not have that problem.

Personally, I won't pay for a subscription-based service if it simultaneousl draws ad-based revenue. Mostly, this is because the market has accepted either free-service with ads, or paid-service without. A lot of people seemed to agree with me as the newpaper's online service is defunct.

Again, when your competition is offering the same (or substantially similar) content for free, then why would anyone prefer your product?

As a side note, I do pay for a subscription to a digital newspaper that also has ads, mainly for the content I can't get elsewhere. And that's how a good subscription system works: you sell content that you can't get elsewhere for cheaper/free. If you're just reposting Reuters/AP stories alongside a bit of local news, then your paper is going to fail in the long run because other sites will give that content away for free. The catch is that you have to balance your fee to insure the highest retention while covering your costs.

Now that I've calmed the fuck down and taken everything in perspective, I can definitively say I will not be buying an XB1 for the same reason I have not paid for X-Box Live Gold access.

So thanks! You've been helpful! :)

And I have a subscription. And I've enjoyed that extra content and being able to play games online. Plus, I've recouped the losses of the subscription through free/sale prices that are offered to subscribers. In the end, I walk away spending less and getting more. Call it the "Mileage Card" effect: you pay a little and maintain enough activity, you can walk away with a profit.

"I'll say this - we take a lot of heat around stuff we've done and I can roll with it. Some of it is deserved," he wrote. "But preventing Kinect from being used inappropriately is something the team takes very seriously."

Well, that's a start. Its something I'd take with more sincerity if he didn't spew bullshit at the same time.

Andy Chalk:

That's okay, because it wasn't designed with consumers in mind, either.

Several months ago Microsoft talked up how the Kinect could be used to specifically match people with advertisements they might give a crap about. Indeed, it was also said that if too many people were gathered around a Kinect it would stop whatever game the Xbone80 is playing to advertise the Hell out of people until somebody paid up.

Microsoft just needs to stick to their guns already. They've admitted that their long-term goals for the Xbone80 haven't changed a bit so it would be in their best interest to just say they're keeping all of the originally intended. It'll piss people off now but I guarantee less people will be pissed off if they go back to their original plan now as opposed to switching the console into an Orwellian nightmare machine in 1 to 3 years.

SonOfVoorhees:
How does the kinect 2 spy on you? Whats it gonna do, scan your face then sends you adverts for spot cream. lol.

Everything with a camera spies on you, the Kinect 2 is worse because of reasons.

*insert pessimism, hate, lack of reading comprehension statements, blind anti-corporation rage, conspiracy theory about kinect spying, alternating love for sony/valve, top it off with more cynicism and hipster rant* I just wanted to fit in...

OT: Well, again I really don't care. The dashboard experience doesn't matter a hill of beans to me since I'm not playing the dashboard, I'll be playing the games if they're worth a damn. I don't care what system/platform/whatever, good games are good games and I'll end up having all the next-gen systems at some point. Why? Because I make decisions based on library not what may or may not be on the dashboard. I drive every day and see a lot of in my face marketing and ignore it, see it between shows on TV or in ad breaks on HuluPlus. I hardly ever look at the 360 dashboard anyway so unless they decide to interrupt my gameplay with ads, which would be VERY stupid and while Microsoft blunders every now and again they aren't dumb enough to do that, I will probably play on XB1 at some point in time.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here