Behold "WildCat": Four Legs of Galloping Mechanical Terror

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Behold "WildCat": Four Legs of Galloping Mechanical Terror

When the robots rise against us, this is the machine that will run you down.

When the day comes that machines turn against humanity - and they will - the lucky ones will go quickly, consumed without warning in nuclear fire. Those few who survive will spend their remaining days looking over their shoulders and listening for the sound of the WildCat, a four-legged robot foolishly being developed by Boston Dynamics, with funding from DARPA.

WildCat is still in development and yet already it can outrun you, and displays alarming maneuverability, too. The simple act of rising to its feet just screams of menace and malice; now imagine it with a minigun and shoulder-mounted tasers, facial recognition technology and absolutely zero interest in Isaac Asimov. This is the way the world ends, people: Not with a bang or a whimper, but with a buzz, a metallic hoofbeat and the melancholic knowledge that we brought it all upon ourselves.

Source: YouTube

Something about these things just terrifies me. Maybe its some human instinct bullshit.i

That thing Buzzes so loud they should name it Lightyear instead.

I like its adorable little bounding motions as it circles at the start. Makes me imagine it running someone down and circling the body like a good doggie.

Another mechanical terror. At least we'll hear them coming when they turn on us. Of course it'll also be the last thing we hear.

I wondered why it was moving backwards, until I counted the joints. :P

Looks like it's not so good at making sharp turns. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

How heavy is that thing? It isn't big but I bet it has quite some mass. Maybe pump it up a bit, put armor plating on it and then commence crashing through (thin) walls, glass fronts and doors.

Its still in development, how do we know these guys aren't capable of making a stealthier version that works against our ever increasing unawareness of our surroundings, like a real wildcat? Scary.

Make a bigger version that can carry people, I wanna ride it!

A killer robot kitty! D'awwww

It looks like a robotic Houndeye from Half-Life:

I feel like these things will be outfitted with a net-launcher or something to capture the escaping humans and drag them back to the circuit board mines.

Was that autonomous or radio-controlled?

GrinningCat:
Looks like it's not so good at making sharp turns. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

Doesn't look a though it can self right ether, it has turtle weakness.

DVS BSTrD:
That thing Buzzes so loud they should name it Lightyear instead.

boooooooo*throws tomato's*

Angelous Wang:

GrinningCat:

There's hope for the future. We can overcome the robots. We might sustain losses, but we will survive.

Good god, I can only imagine the terror of the completed model. Probably going to look like a robot panther with a camera and Metal Storm cannons for a head.

whenever i see this thing in every successive generation, it keeps reminding me more and more of the search and destroy dogs from fahrenheit 451

Getting awfully close to MGS Gekko territory here...

I found the starting moment hilarious, as it rears itself up off the ground in a very intimidating fashion, slowly lifting it's weight, legs spread and ready to lunge...

Then it instantly brings its legs together and starts this quirky hop before taking off.

Also, I couldn't be the only one who thought it was going backwards at first.

Wow, this is the first version I've seen do a proper gallop.

Quite frankly I'm not looking forward to weaponized armored robo-dogs/horses.

Don't try to run; you'll just die tired.

In all seriousness, though, I find it kind of cute. Like a giant, robotic puppy.

kind of amazing seeing robotics taking off like this finally. i could see a future descendent of this thing tracking across country quite easiely.. it also reminds me of the robot AMEE from the 2000 movie red planet and that thing murdered alot of people

And so we take another step closer to making the Hunters from Half-Life a reality.

I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

wombat_of_war:
it also reminds me of the robot AMEE from the 2000 movie red planet and that thing murdered alot of people

There's a lesson in that, don't set murderous robots loose for no reason. That isn't very smart.

Andy Chalk:
This is the way the world ends, people: Not with a bang or a whimper, but with a buzz, a metallic hoofbeat and the melancholic knowledge that we brought it all upon ourselves.

having studied robotics, I feel quite safe knowing it will run out of fuel long before it reaches me, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with any affixed weaponry and has zero ability to navigate hills.

what you should be afraid of is good o'l fashioned c-uav spec drones those things really are man-killers, and have fantastic range.

GrinningCat:

Angelous Wang:

GrinningCat:

There's hope for the future. We can overcome the robots. We might sustain losses, but we will survive.

Hate to rain on your parade, but if it's anything like BigDog, it'll be very hard to tip over:

And that clip is 4 years old, plenty of time for them to iron out the kinks...

Oh my god! That is the cutest thing I have seen in a long time. I love the bouncing when it gets started.

So its like an updated version of bigdog I guess. These things would be cool for marines to use if they could make them quieter somehow. That noise output is fucking ridiculous for a battle situation.

For some reason I keep visualizing the walkers from Gyo. :S

Kwil:
Was that autonomous or radio-controlled?

If I had to guess, it was either radio-controlled or had a set of pre-installed instructions. that isn't what is on display here, though. We are looking at a land based robot that can run faster than a human on flat terrain. The fact that it can even do that is amazing.

I won't fear it until they mount a LMG on its back.

Wait, they actually improved it compared to the last design???

Great I can easily see "who's laughing now" when that thing start to hunt down people that it if their next improved is to make it silence and deadly!

It's only a matter of time until mecha horses are a thing, trust me.

Starik20X6:
Snippy~

Ok, that was quite possibly the cutest thing to me and I have no idea why.
Maybe it was the fact it reminded me of a mechanical baby deer but god damn all I know is that was cute.

good god, it looks like those pigs/boars/whatever from stalker. this is NOT good.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here