River City Ransom Sequel Needs $19,000 in Four Days

River City Ransom Sequel Needs $19,000 in Four Days

An officially licensed sequel to the classic NES game still needs several thousand in funding before its Oct. 9 closing date on Kickstarter.

Canadian developer Conatus Creative has a dream, and that dream is an official sequel to beloved NES game River City Ransom. While they have the license, as well as input from Double Dragon director and "grandfather of the beat 'em up genre" Yoshihisa Kishimoto, the team is still a few grand short of their goal, with only four days to go on their Kickstarter page. Conatus needs to raise $180,000 in Canadian dollars by Oct. 9, or the project will need to come to a premature end. As of this writing, they have a little over $161,000, so if you're a fan of the brawler genre now is the time to start giving.

As described in the video above, the game, River City Ransom: Underground, features similar 8-bit style graphics and RPG mechanics to the original as well as co-op play. Also lending his talent to the project is Rich "Disasterpeace" Vreeland, the composer for FEZ. A pledge of $15 in Canadian dollars, which breaks down to $14.58 American, is enough to get a digital copy of the game for Windows once it releases, should the project's funding goal be reached.

Source: Kickstarter

I would totally contribute, if it were for a new Super Dodge Ball game.

P.S. Thanks

Covarr:
I would totally contribute, if it were for a new Super Dodge Ball game.

P.S. Thanks

They'd make a Super Dodgeball sequel if is this game got funded. I think it says that they plan to straight up revive the Kunio Kun series if this game gets funded.

I love beat'em up type games as well as the Kunio Kun series; but I'd rather see a more up to date version. They could use cell shading to keep the artwork playful, yet have so much more that you can't have in an 8-bit world.

I don't think I've ever been more stressed out over a Kickstarter. I so badly want to see Conatus succeed and get my hands on a sequel to RCR, I've already upped my pledge once.

yeah, the last version of river city ransom was one player only, which made all the added features that much more painful when you can't share them

godspeed you barfers

Rituro:
I don't think I've ever been more stressed out over a Kickstarter. I so badly want to see Conatus succeed and get my hands on a sequel to RCR, I've already upped my pledge once.

As an Armikrog backer, I know that feeling all too well. I had all but given up hope when the project was nearly $300,000 short of the goal with less than a week remaining.

Don't despair, though! There's always a chance that the fans will rally with a last-minute surge of funds. That's exactly what happened with Armikrog. Not only did it meet the funding goal in the span of a few days, but it also reached its stretch goal!

It seems like I should support this but I still don't like the idea of buying things that don't yet exist.

SecondPrize:
It seems like I should support this but I still don't like the idea of buying things that don't yet exist.

You're not "buying" anything; you're investing, and there are rewards for it.

BrainWalker:

SecondPrize:

Investments have returns on them. These things are just pre-preorders with a variety of collectors editions to choose from.

SecondPrize:

BrainWalker:

SecondPrize:

Investments have returns on them. These things are just pre-preorders with a variety of collectors editions to choose from.

Not necessarily. Just because a Kickstarter is successfully funded doesn't mean that the team behind it will successfully complete a product. Anyone who's ever spent time on the stock market will tell you that you don't always get a return on an investment. Hence the phrase "cut your losses."

BrainWalker:

SecondPrize:

BrainWalker:

Not necessarily. Just because a Kickstarter is successfully funded doesn't mean that the team behind it will successfully complete a product. Anyone who's ever spent time on the stock market will tell you that you don't always get a return on an investment. Hence the phrase "cut your losses."

Okay then, investments have the possibility of returns in the form of financial gain. Kickstarter projects do not.

River City Ransom is one of my favorite games from childhood. Played through it several times, often in co-op. Had pages of notes for save games and which food gave the best stats.

So excited they made their funding. :D

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here