Microsoft Corporate VP Says Xbox One Can Reshape Marketing

Pages PREV 1 2

lacktheknack:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.820366-Xbox-One-Designed-With-Advertising-in-Mind

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.830193-Xbox-One-Is-Not-Designed-With-Advertising-In-Mind-Microsoft-Says

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.830418-Microsoft-Corporate-VP-Says-Xbox-One-Can-Reshape-Marketing

Please make up your mind, Microsoft. I don't know which reason I should be mad at you for anymore.

I wanted to link the same threads and I found it extremely funny.

Microsoft have always intended to do advertising through the Xbone dashboard so this is nothing new.

In the speech, Mehdi hinted at the possibility of Xbox One user data being made available for market research. Trade publication Advertising Age published a report based on the speech over the weekend. The report said Mehdi's speech addressed possibilities in increasing consumer expectations for production values in advertising due to Xbox imaging technology. Examples included gamification of advertising and consolidating attention that is currently spread out among several technologies (games, TV, and internet). Mehdi said the Xbox One could help in understanding a consumer in the "360 degrees of their life."

My life contains 360 degrees of Fuck You!

I'm honestly not that angry as I don't plan on getting an X1 but I don't care for the idea of taking advertising to the extreme in general.

--------------

I propose a new rule Microsoft, every time you make a public statement, you must read and understand the previous 30 days of public statements. Upon doing so, if your new info counters previous info, explain your reasons why that is.

This, at least, might make their statements mesh a bit better.

Wow even more reasons not to buy this thing with kinect, heck Im still not buying it period, and nothing microsoft is saying is helping me change my mind, maybe if they dropped Xbox Live gold, and then sold the kinect seperately I might pick one up a few years from now

But seriously nothing that microsoft is saying is changing my mind, in fact its making me more angry at them

And now, they put themselves again a position to make me say i won't buy it... Wow Microsoft really can,t handle how to sell your console much?

roseofbattle:
In the speech, Mehdi hinted at the possibility of Xbox One user data being made available for market research.

Did I read this right? Isn't that what a lot of potential consumers are afraid of?

Am I the only one here who likes having advertisements that are targeted to me? If I'm going to see an ad, I don't want to see one about christian singles, (unless it's in a hilariously unchristian page) I would much rather have an ad about something that I care about. When something I care about comes to my attention because of an ad, I actually like the fact that I saw it.

That said, I also hate being lied to. I don't want to be told a barefaced lie, nor do I want to be tracked. My parents installed a DNS block and I didn't realize that I was being tracked until some sites I found blocked by hand. The blocked sites weren't even vulgar, but knowing that my parents had access to my browsing information did make me extremely uncomfortable, I had to stop going to sites that I think they would find strange. Which for them probably meant mission fucking accomplished.

If this were collected to make "better" ads for me, and then I start getting MonsterDildoCompany ads, then once again I am back to ignoring every ad I see, including ones that I might find interesting. Not to mention that if I had MonsterDildoCompany ads when I was playing games, then I would never show my friends anything that might contain an ad at some point because I really don't want to explain that. If we can't turn off tracking while we browse things that we don't want to be tracked or analyzed and a misclick or derange peruse through the dark side of the webcomic index might make the advertisers think i'm a connoisseur of novelty items, then i'm back to the situation where my parents put me years ago, a place that feels oppressed, cramped and frusturating.

TL;DR:
I like targeted advertising, as long as it's actually targeted to things that I care about, not MonsterDildos and in no way attached to me as a person.
I hate tracking when it can either be attached to me as a person, and especially when I can't turn it off.
I am okay with tracking that does not affect my real life in any way other than finding advertisements that make me actually want to give them money.

I can't help but wonder if anyone is in charge of their PR and marketing departments. I swear to God that they can't stay on message for anything. Is there even a message at this point? I mean, besides "Give us your money, you whores". Because there doesn't seem to be a message that they are trying to get across.

Unless, they want me to think that I can't believe anything they say. Every week seems to go: Microsoft says things. Mere days later, they contradict themselves. A few days later, they contradict the contradiction. So on and so forth.

Not like I was buying their console, anyway. This just helps me confirm that I made the right decision.

Pseudoboss:
Am I the only one here who likes having advertisements that are targeted to me? If I'm going to see an ad, I don't want to see one about christian singles, (unless it's in a hilariously unchristian page) I would much rather have an ad about something that I care about. When something I care about comes to my attention because of an ad, I actually like the fact that I saw it.

That said, I also hate being lied to. I don't want to be told a barefaced lie, nor do I want to be tracked. My parents installed a DNS block and I didn't realize that I was being tracked until some sites I found blocked by hand. The blocked sites weren't even vulgar, but knowing that my parents had access to my browsing information did make me extremely uncomfortable, I had to stop going to sites that I think they would find strange. Which for them probably meant mission fucking accomplished.

If this were collected to make "better" ads for me, and then I start getting MonsterDildoCompany ads, then once again I am back to ignoring every ad I see, including ones that I might find interesting. Not to mention that if I had MonsterDildoCompany ads when I was playing games, then I would never show my friends anything that might contain an ad at some point because I really don't want to explain that. If we can't turn off tracking while we browse things that we don't want to be tracked or analyzed and a misclick or derange peruse through the dark side of the webcomic index might make the advertisers think i'm a connoisseur of novelty items, then i'm back to the situation where my parents put me years ago, a place that feels oppressed, cramped and frusturating.

TL;DR:
I like targeted advertising, as long as it's actually targeted to things that I care about, not MonsterDildos and in no way attached to me as a person.
I hate tracking when it can either be attached to me as a person, and especially when I can't turn it off.
I am okay with tracking that does not affect my real life in any way other than finding advertisements that make me actually want to give them money.

Except one problem or factor that you are missing. It's a two way street. Sure an internet browser will store cookies and will help market ads towards you. But we are talking consoles here. There isn't going to be any cookies. So in other words personalized marketing isn't really going to happen unless it is built into the infrastructure. Not to mention the fact that the people wanting to buy said ad space will actually would want to buy said ad space. What if said monsterdildos(lol) bought up all the adspace? You really don't get much of a choice because microsoft would care more about finding companies that are willing to buy it over your personal preference.

Is it fucking focused on advertising or not?! Quit going back and fourth and pick one already!

Verlander:
Wasn't going to buy one, so no biggie. Haven't been keeping up though, do you need an X Box Live account to play? I know they dropped the compulsory online check in.

As for Kinect always on... no thanks. Tempted to buy a PS4 to make a statement, but I can't go back to PS Controllers.

Well aparently DS4 feels better than previous, however thats subjective. I would point out that you could always get a xbox shaped controller and plug it into the PS4, since PS3 and 4 both support any USB controller. Unlike M$ Sony doesn't lock out the universal standard.

Come on. We all know what the XB-One is truly about.

so many reasons to not get one of these .... it amazes me people are actually lining up to get spied on, I'd figured the general public was smarter then this after the NSA thing, sadly no

I imagine that the people they hire for their PR department have a double-headed coin that they flip before making any decision. They just haven't realized that the coin has two heads...

I really wish Microsoft would get their heads out of the 'Cloud', and join the 'analog' world so they can see what people with functioning brains actually want

lacktheknack:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.820366-Xbox-One-Designed-With-Advertising-in-Mind

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.830193-Xbox-One-Is-Not-Designed-With-Advertising-In-Mind-Microsoft-Says

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.830418-Microsoft-Corporate-VP-Says-Xbox-One-Can-Reshape-Marketing

Please make up your mind, Microsoft. I don't know which reason I should be mad at you for anymore.

This is exactly what came to mind. After reading each link (I think I had already in the past) I'm more confused as to what to believe. In any case it's just not something people want. Even if they allowed the owner to opp in for such a thing, I doubt anyone will unless there's some benefit.

"Hey", said Microsoft. "It's the consumer. He's a young guy. He rides a scooter, he listens to the Stereophonics. Let's see how far I can push him."

I just saw a commercial where Microsoft was criticizing Google's GMAIL for doing the exact same thing (if not similar).

"Don't get scroogled!"

I get that Microsoft is a large corporation but still... hypocrisy hypocrisy

I don't mind getting scroogled since gmail provides great services. I'd rather not get xboned.

It's like Microsoft told us to sit and spin.

*Primes shotgun*

Well, here we go again!

"Oh Crap."

MrHide-Patten:
So far Sony' s marketing stratergy of just letting Microsoft dig their own grave is working well for them. Xbox One step forward, two steps back.

You've got to feel sorry for they guys in the PS4 marketing department, they spent all this time on their marketing strategy and planning lots of stuff. And then someone in charge says "We aren't doing that any more, here's our new line 'It isn't the Xbox One'".

You know, more advertising is exactly what I want out of a device. Bravo microsoft, you hit this one out of the park. I would finish this post, but I have to throw my computer out the window because I'll I need from here on out is the x bone baby.

Advertise

spartandude:

MrHide-Patten:
So far Sony' s marketing stratergy of just letting Microsoft dig their own grave is working well for them. Xbox One step forward, two steps back.

You've got to feel sorry for they guys in the PS4 marketing department, they spent all this time on their marketing strategy and planning lots of stuff. And then someone in charge says "We aren't doing that any more, here's our new line 'It isn't the Xbox One'".

"But boss! We did lots of hard work and we have even snarkier comments to make!"

"Not necessary! Save it for next year! Happy hour starts now!"

"KAMPAI!!"

I think they'll be fine.

Lightknight:
Ads about products you actually care about that would be valuable to know about.

If i actually care about them chances are i already know them and don't need ads.

I frankly think that this thoroughly outlines just how unworthy of trust MS can be considered to be. Buy this thing and a few months down the road there will be firmware patches that add "features" like locking games to accounts and needing always online access to internet. You know, the very shit they said they would not do. Sony set that precedent a few years ago when they firmwared out the ability to run Linux. No reason whatsoever why MS would do the same.

Buy a PS4 or Wii. Save up for a PC. Anything but give these lying asshats your money. If they survive to the next generation, whenever that is maybe they can get another kick at the can. If those consumer eating assholes at Sony can admit error maybe losing a billion or so in profit can do the same for MS or at least get them out of the game.

this isnt just a case of targeted marketing. getting the comercials for products you want. its specifically getting the data to manipulate you even more than they currently do. hell next time you go to the supermarket look at a product on the shelf. every aspect of that from the shape to the colour, to the photos even to the placement of the shelf are designed purely to manipulate you in to buying

saintdane05:
Come on. We all know what the XB-One is truly about.

first off..i made it about 40 seconds in and had to stop it so i could go vomit.

ot: microsoft has reached that much sought after position in much of its intended audience (i think...gamers right?) where all they need to do is put out a consistent message and people will be comfortable. It doesnt matter what it is their audience craves some kind, any kind of consistency: we WILL be spying on you and selling your information to 3rd world dictators; hitler was right; bacon is delicious.

lapan:

Lightknight:
Ads about products you actually care about that would be valuable to know about.

If i actually care about them chances are i already know them and don't need ads.

The way they see it, maybe you don't.

I'm somewhat conflicted. I mean, if I'm going to see an ad I would like it to be crafted towards my interest. Games, non-phone tech, camping, etc. What I get is all kinds of cars that I'd never buy because I know which car I'll likely be buying for the rest of my life. Or feminine product, or medicine I'll never need unless a doctor tells me so, or so many other things that are wasting my time.

Sure, I may already know about computers or games, but I don't mind seeing ads about them. So catering to your interests would be good.

But the conflict comes in with how they figure out what my interests are. I'd much rather just fill out a survey than have them actively watch me and listen to me.

Dammit Microsoft, how can you still shoot yourself in the foot when you have no legs left?!

Valderis:
Dammit Microsoft, how can you still shoot yourself in the foot when you have no legs left?!

By this time, I figured the entire body was a mess, so now they're up to Rocket Propelled Chainsaws to the face.

Lightknight:

lapan:

Lightknight:

The way they see it, maybe you don't.

I'm somewhat conflicted. I mean, if I'm going to see an ad I would like it to be crafted towards my interest. Games, non-phone tech, camping, etc. What I get is all kinds of cars that I'd never buy because I know which car I'll likely be buying for the rest of my life. Or feminine product, or medicine I'll never need unless a doctor tells me so, or so many other things that are wasting my time.

Sure, I may already know about computers or games, but I don't mind seeing ads about them. So catering to your interests would be good.

But the conflict comes in with how they figure out what my interests are. I'd much rather just fill out a survey than have them actively watch me and listen to me.

No, the conflict is why you are getting ads on a $500 console in the first place. Any consideration beyond that just hands Microsoft a victory.

WeepingAngels:
No, the conflict is why you are getting ads on a $500 console in the first place. Any consideration beyond that just hands Microsoft a victory.

Heh, that is another issue and yes, I quite agree with you here. The 360 dashboard compared to the ps3 dashboard is a joke. 360 is entirely cluttered and oddly arranged with trailers and ads that play without your permission (though volume only kicks in if you hover over it and some don't play until you do that).

The ps3 has simply divided sections with ads of their own games/products if you hover over the store like you'd actually expect. It's why I vastly prefer my ps3 as a media machine.

My comment is that IF I'm going to see ads, I would prefer they be tailored to me. I'm ok to fill out a questionnaire but the idea of them monitoring me is insane.

Lightknight:

WeepingAngels:

Heh, that is another issue and yes, I quite agree with you here. The 360 dashboard compared to the ps3 dashboard is a joke. 360 is entirely cluttered and oddly arranged with trailers and ads that play without your permission (though volume only kicks in if you hover over it and some don't play until you do that).

The ps3 has simply divided sections with ads of their own games/products if you hover over the store like you'd actually expect. It's why I vastly prefer my ps3 as a media machine.

My comment is that IF I'm going to see ads, I would prefer they be tailored to me. I'm ok to fill out a questionnaire but the idea of them monitoring me is insane.

The few ads the PS3 has are still too many for my tastes. Nintendo is still ad free though.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here