Watch Dogs Revised PC Specs Are Even More Demanding

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Watch Dogs Revised PC Specs Are Even More Demanding

watch dogs

You'll now need a minimum of 6 GB of RAM to run Watch Dogs.

Earlier in the month, some minimum and recommended PC specs for Ubisoft's upcoming hack-and-shoot: Watch Dogs, were released via its Uplay digital distribution service. They were surprisingly high, much to the delight of PC enthusiasts, and the disdain of gamers on a budget. The specs were pulled from the Uplay store shortly afterward, and Watch Dogs technical director Sebastien Viard Tweeted that these weren't the real specs, and to expect something a little lower.

Now, some revised specs have been put up on the Uplay service, and contrary to Viard's assurance, they are actually higher than the previously released ones. You'll now need a minimum of 6 GB of RAM (up from 4GB) just to run the game, and the Quad Q6600 example processor posted earlier has been replaced with the much beefier Quad Q8400.

The recommended specs have remained more or less the same, and the game will still require a 64 bit version of Windows to run. Check out the full specs below:

MINIMUM

Supported OS: Windows Vista SP2 64bit, Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8 64bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: 1024 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 (see supported list)
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
This product supports 64-bit operating systems ONLY

RECOMMENDED

Processor: Core i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz
RAM: 8 GB
Video Card: 2048 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 or higher (see supported list)
Sound Card: Surround Sound 5.1 capable sound card
Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series;
AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series
Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

Soruce: Uplay Client via Video Gamer

Well, I ace the recommended settings so sweet!

I wonder how much its going to take to download though...

I have 16 gig of ram. I'm sweet :D

whooah beefy my old rig only just meets minimum for processor and GPU and needs 2 GB more of ram
my current rig on the other hand meets it
will be good to finally give it a work out maybe i should give it a bit of over clocking it is water cooled after all

Thank goodness I am getting this on console. Don't have to worry about minimum specs and so on. (Specs I would not have been able to fulfill on my budget)

Also, didn't Viard just blatantly lie?

I still don't get how this game can run on a GTX460 BUT the new Call of Duty needs a 780 on recommended settings.

definitely time for me to upgrade.. which thanks to consoles ive been able to put off quite easiely for the last 4 years

I have it preordered for PS4 but with specs like that I must admit a PC copy looks appealing. Haven't had a game even come close to my system specs yet. Eh it'd probably be a bad port, will wait and get a pc copy cheap later on.

I'm starting to get the impression they are jacking up the PC requirements in order to force people to buy the console versions instead.

I call bullshit - just the same as that COD Ghosts story, this is a game that's also to run on current-gen consoles.

god damn it.

ANOTHER game with more than 1 GB VRAM requirement. ROME II being the first.

I guess its time to retire my ancient 6850. I may end up going with a nvidia 670 or 760 since I heard their cards obliterate AMD cards.

Teoes:
I call bullshit - just the same as that COD Ghosts story, this is a game that's also to run on current-gen consoles.

Watchdogs on current gen looks like PS2 level ass.

The PS4 is much higher spec, and the PC even more so.

The only way to go is up, because the true versions are next gen versions. The current gen is cut down garbage.

Allowing lower compressed textures isn't some magic feat, its now commonplace. Because models don't mean as much as they used to, its now textures. Lower compression means more detail.

And that's why RAM and VRAM are so high, higher grade textures and more people.

There is a reason GTA V has dead streets.

My poor 4GB RAM, I cannot even run it on minimum specs. Not that I particularly want the game mind, but it is definitely time to start considering an upgrade or a new computer. The next generation is out of my reach otherwise, it's only going to get higher.

Ultratwinkie:
god damn it.

I guess its time to retire my ancient 6850. I may end up going with a nvidia 670 or 760 since I heard their cards obliterate AMD cards.

Which is rather funny because Shogun 2 looks a bit better than Rome II.

I have no idea where all the requirments on that damn game go.

008Zulu:
I'm starting to get the impression they are jacking up the PC requirements in order to force people to buy the console versions instead.

The problem is, Nvidia paid them to increase the requirements.

Remember, COD is still using a heavily modified Quake 3 engine.

Desert Punk:

Ultratwinkie:
god damn it.

Which is rather funny because Shogun 2 looks a bit better than Rome II.

I have no idea where all the requirments on that damn game go.

Turns out the textures don't really show because they use a distance kind of thing, even though they are there.

Shogun II keeps textures clean regardless of where you really are.

Rome II muddles them farther out you go, especially on terrain. Problem with that was that it had higher draw for less graphics, unless you stick your nose into the thick of the battle when you should be commanding.

Its heavily noticeable in the teutoberg forest benchmark when your computer is forced to load full resolution textures in under a second when its transitions from far away to right up close. The new system craps over everything.

Too much to ask all cards to load. It should already be loaded before the battle even begins.

At this rate nvidia needs 3GB of Vram. I am surprised none of their cards support 3GB, they go straight to 4GB.

Rome II gobbles up ram and its new "anyone can run this" system screwed over people with actual computers instead of toasters by making graphics "procedural" and overly complicated. Which means their specs were false because their new system put a heavy tax on everyone's machine.

Hell, the settings menu is worthless because you don't tell the game what your computer can handle. The game tells you what you can handle.

The game disregards all your settings and puts forth its own depending on what specific scenario the programmers set.

Basically ROME II is this regardless of what settings you use:

Sweet zombie jesus. I don't meet the recommended specs, that's something I haven't had happen in a long time. I knew my system wasn't aging when I couldn't play The Witcher 2 on ultra or whatever it was without framerate issues but daaaaaaaaaamn. I only have 8 gigs of RAM, now I'll have to grab a new motherboard, newer and bigger RAM, may as well grab a new processor and video card while I'm at it too.... christ that'll be nice and expensive

I'm guessing that it's one of those games that kind of require a demo. Maybe I'm just a little bit crazy.

Legion:
My poor 4GB RAM, I cannot even run it on minimum specs. Not that I particularly want the game mind, but it is definitely time to start considering an upgrade or a new computer. The next generation is out of my reach otherwise, it's only going to get higher.

Same here, thank god most of what I play these days is indie stuff anyway T_T

Eeeeeep!

...Hello, Newegg? Um, can I suggest you schedule a really good deal on RAM to coincide with mid-to-late November? Trust me, you'll make it up on volume.

Better step up on my new tower.

Specs are finally going up, lets hope that devs and publishers don't get lazy with the PC versions.

I have to say, this is good news and I'm really starting to warm to Ubi again. A troubled relationship but they seem to be seriously set on giving the PC a good experience. Not a fan of uPlay, but on the basis that it isn't origin, i can live with it. I have a beast of a PC so even on max I'm quite sure this won't make it break a sweat. So tired of games being held back by such pathetic tech requirements. Ubisoft, more like this!

Now if only they hadn't changed the voice of Sam Fisher in Blacklist :-(

InterrogationBear:
snip

Wow, look at all those features I don't care about. Keep trying Nvidia, maybe someday you will actually have something I want.

OT: jumping jebuz on a pogo stick those requirements are insane. And here I was being silly and thinking I could spend my Christmas money on something besides playing PC spec catch-up for once. Sigh, at this rate I'm gonna need to crossfire my HD7950 (which is problematic seeing as the exact card I have is discontinued) and upgrade to 16 GB of RAM. And possibly a 2TB hard drive with game installs getting increasingly massive. PC gaming y u cost so much?

I have that sinking feeling that these specs are addressing lazy optimisation rather than a spectacular port.

Lies. This is one of the first official "next-gen" games. So they either want the PC gamers to buy consoles or better PC hardware. No way those are minimum requirements.

WELP. My PC be fucked. It's been going good for 5-6 years now with no upgrades and I was thinking it was time to upgrade the GFX and CPU and RAM but then I thought that chances are the MOBO won't work with entirely new stuff due to old chipsets and the I would have to get a new PSU anyway.

Basically I have to get a new comp entirely

Revolutionary:
I have that sinking feeling that these specs are addressing lazy optimisation rather than a spectacular port.

I'm with you on that one. These Gen 8 PC ports seem to be badly optimised, bloated messes.

Then again:

InterrogationBear:
The problem is, Nvidia paid them to increase the requirements.

Remember, COD is still using a heavily modified Quake 3 engine.

It is kinda funny how much more reasonable BF4's requirements are compared to these. You know, the game optimised for AMD. Not that I'm implying anything with that statement ¬_¬

The best way is to just wait until it is out and wait for performance reports.
If those are the real requirements, they are artificially kept high for dubious reasons. If it runs on a 360 and a Wii U, it should run well on any PC currently able to play games also on those systems. If not, then they are using shady (shader?) practices to either boost console/hardware sales or to avoid optimizing the game, in which case they'd deserve to fall on their snouts.

I certainly won't get a new PC until the new console gen is well established. If I'd get one now, I'd have to either upgrade and then still get a new PC during that console gen or I'd have to upgrade near the end of that gen.

Yea i got this covered. Might need 2 4gig RAM sticks more but thats just if i REALLY want to be on the safe side.

Now the more important thing is; Does it need Uplay, or is just getting it on steam enough.

KevinHe92:
I still don't get how this game can run on a GTX460 BUT the new Call of Duty needs a 780 on recommended settings.

Isn't the minimum graphics card for COD:DOG more like a GTX 550Ti?

rofltehcat:
The best way is to just wait until it is out and wait for performance reports.
If those are the real requirements, they are artificially kept high for dubious reasons. If it runs on a 360 and a Wii U, it should run well on any PC currently able to play games also on those systems. If not, then they are using shady (shader?) practices to either boost console/hardware sales or to avoid optimizing the game, in which case they'd deserve to fall on their snouts.

I certainly won't get a new PC until the new console gen is well established. If I'd get one now, I'd have to either upgrade and then still get a new PC during that console gen or I'd have to upgrade near the end of that gen.

That's on the assumption that the last-gen console builds will be the basis for the PC build. It's far more likely that they're creating a high-mesh, high-res, shaderrific version for the next-gen consoles, and that's the build getting ported to PC.

Legion:

Or, buy 8GB RAM for like $80. Problem solved.

Aside from my i5-3330 I seem to hit the recommended specs.

what is going on with these specs recently?

the games are gonna run on PS3, PS4, 360 and Xbone, why we needing super beefy rigs to hit recommended settings.

the APU's are only 1.6ghz on the PS4/Xbone! what are the graphics card specs, anyone know?

Well, so much for 'future proofing', less than a year old and I'm already down to minimum rec. Admittedly, I did build on a budget and I did build it at the tail end of a console generation so I suppose I only have myself to blame.

The only thing I'm hitting on the recommended specs is RAM. My i5-3570 and GTX650 should be enough to at least play it, but obviously I won't be anywhere near up on a decent level of visuals. Still, if I come across a spare £150, I guess I could update to a 2048MB VRAM card pretty easily. But that processor requirement... damn, I definitely don't have the money for an i7, let alone the new mobo, cooling and power I'd probably have to source. I also really don't want to have to reinstall the OS, or any of the other menial tasks required of upping the mobo.

Guess I'm hoping on a demo for this to check whether the performance hit will be tolerable, or if I'll just leave it another year till I get a PS4.

You don't have anything in your game to have that high requirements, Ubisoft. And I won't buy console to play Watchdogs (that's what you want me to do with your awful PC port optimisation) either. I'll just ignore you. Well done. EA is proud.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.