Blockbuster UK Will Not Honor PS4 or Xbox One Preorders

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blockbuster UK Will Not Honor PS4 or Xbox One Preorders

Blockbuster UK struggles economically once again and will not be able to fulfill PlayStation 4 and Xbox One preorders.

In a series of announcements and replies on social media, Blockbuster UK announced it will not honor preorders for next-gen consoles PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The company has applied for protection while it seeks a buyer after reentering administration, BBC reports. Private equity firm Gordon Brothers bought Blockbuster UK earlier this year after the company entered administration in January, but it had to close 164 stores in the process. Blockbuster UK will refund all validated preorders.

To claim a full refund, write to Blockbuster UK at Harefield Place, The Drive, Uxbridge, UB10 8AQ. Include your name, the branch you placed an order, the order number, and a copy of the receipt. Earlier on Twitter the company advised customers to go in-person to stores, but it now asks customers not to visit stores about refunds for console preorders. Staff members were not informed before news broke about the company's reentry to administration. Despite news outlets reporting Gordon Brothers' statement that Blockbuster UK will enter administration, Blockbuster UK said on Twitter, "To avoid confusion, we're NOT in administration, we've applied for protection, whilst we seek a buyer. All stores remain open as normal."

Gordon Brothers had "striven to turn around the historically loss-making company by restructuring the business, investing significantly in strategic marketing activities and negotiating with the landlords of its retail outlets," it stated. "The company also tried to develop a new digital platform but was unable to broker a licensing deal with Blockbuster UK's parent company in the US."

Trading and renting will resume as normal, Blockbuster UK announced on its Facebook page. While there is no way to cancel Blockbuster subscriptions online, those who wish to do so can contact [email protected]. At this point, it is too late to preorder a PS4 or an Xbox One at other stores.

Source: BBC via CVG

I'm sure the three people that picked Blockbuster as their pre-order supplier will be very disappointed. :(

This company still exists in my country?

I'm surprised.

Preordering is a fool's game anyway. Wait for reviews, see what the public says, maybe get a deal a little while later. It only technically makes sense when supporting an indie or a small project, in this case it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

More than that I'm surprised to see Blockbuster. I really thought they were already gone by now.

MinionJoe:
I'm sure the three people that picked Blockbuster as their pre-order supplier will be very disappointed. :(

They will be if the place goes bust and they haven't already gotten a refund, which unless this gets reported in the non-gaming news will probably happen.

I guessed the disasters that last generations launch consoles were would have taught people to wait for the second or third revison before spending hundreds of bucks. Most launch 360's died within nine months to two years and the 40 and 60 GB PS3's didn't last much longer...

Icehearted:
Preordering is a fool's game anyway.

Pre-ordering like this is a fools game, why anyone would stump up cash ahead of delivery like this I will never know. I pre-ordered mine in August and will get it launch day and I won't have to pay until the day they dispatch it, if it turns out to be a PoS I can have 14 days to send it back and get a refund too. I get to review it myself, don't have to pay upfront and won't even have to leave the house.

Why would you preorder from a chain under bankruptcy protection?

I feel for the people impacted, but it wasn't a smart move on their part.

SkarKrow:

I'm surprised.

I'm suprised too. I haven't seen a Blockbuster on the highstreet for months. I'm equally suprised that people would preorder consoles there.

Icehearted:
Preordering is a fool's game anyway. Wait for reviews, see what the public says, maybe get a deal a little while later. It only technically makes sense when supporting an indie or a small project, in this case it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Preordering makes sense when it's a physical thing that is likely to quickly sell out, such as a PS4. If you didn't preorder one, you probably won't be playing on a PS4 this christmas.

First time must have been the Bush Administration. You wanna get business back? LEARN HOW TO USE THE INTERNET!

CriticalMiss:

SkarKrow:

I'm surprised.

I'm suprised too. I haven't seen a Blockbuster on the highstreet for months. I'm equally suprised that people would preorder consoles there.

Months? Man I haven't seen one for about 5 years now. I thought they went under years ago. I thought games retailk in this country was essentially dead and owned by amazon and supermarkets using them as loss leaders whilst Game struggles to survive in the face of it's own irrelevancy as it's casuals walk away and the more enthusiastic hobbyists purchase online or use digital distribution...

I'm gonna go into one and ask if it's real.

I have a Blockbuster about 2 mins walk from my house. :-) That place cant compete with Lovefilm and they cost a fortune for rentals. I really thought they would do well now Lovefilm no longer do game rentals. Such a shame as i went to that store when they had their grand opening party. Was awesome.

While I feel sorry for the people affected by this, I must say it wasn't a wise move to pre-order it from Blockbuster in the first place.

Hell, I was surprised when the story popped up because I was sure Blockbuster was already dead.

As one of the five people who prefers to shop brick and mortar for both games and movies it makes me sad to see a titan like blockbuster doing so badly. We already lost all our Hollywood Videos, so now for rental its either redbox and its terrible selection and availability or Netflix and its terrible price and pathetic streaming selection. If I'm looking to buy its a bit easier but if GameStop ever goes out of business I think I'm done with gaming, seeing as I loath digital distribution and trust Amazon and Ebay about as far as I can throw their servers.

Icehearted:

More than that I'm surprised to see Blockbuster. I really thought they were already gone by now.

Do you have an opinion that isn't parroted from Jim Sterling?

If you didn't preorder a system, you likely won't be playing it for a good long time. Some people really want the system at launch. I'm not one of them, but I see why people would preorder it.

OT: The thing that bugs me about this is how many hoops you have to jump through to get your money returned. Sounds like a "tough luck, screw you" scene waiting to happen.

Blockbuster is just a badly run business. I'm surprised they lasted this long. I'm amazed that they've struggled to get to grips with the internet but those are the breaks, and also why Netflix have kicked them into touch.

I always loved the idea of Netflix and when they came to the U.K, I didn't hesitate in signing up for it. I have no problem paying for stuff so long as the price is within reason. Blockbuster by contrast are local to me but I hardly ever venture in there.

Funny thing is the Netflix founders pitched their content streaming concept to the Blockbuster board years ago, and hilariously the Blockbuster board laughed at them. Look who's laughing now. Those are the breaks in business, where its easy to be king one moment and pauper the next.

Why would you give money to a company for a product that's not even available yet, of a quality you cannot possibly know, for the promise of one day being able to access it? Why not just bend all the way over and let Sony and Microsoft go all the way, sheesh. Fanboys ans girls, blind sheep that jump to the tune of branding and advertising. It's beyond sad, it's depressing.

CriticalMiss:

SkarKrow:

I'm surprised.

its the only place in my town that sells games, but funnily enough its cheaper for me to get a bus to the next town over where they have a Game and buy from there. Heck they were selling Pokemon X for £45 pounds in my town.

Chaosritter:
I guessed the disasters that last generations launch consoles were would have taught people to wait for the second or third revison before spending hundreds of bucks. Most launch 360's died within nine months to two years and the 40 and 60 GB PS3's didn't last much longer...

The PS3 release was a disaster? News to me (I mean system health wise, not getting into games). Most of what I hear are people complaining that they can't find 1st gen PS3s since they had backwards compatibility.

The 360 was horrible at about 30-50% failure rates to be sure, but the Wii and PS3 were much better.

I thought Blockbuster was long dead and gone!

I have no idea who would use Blockbuster to pre-order a games console over ANY of the supermarkets, GAME, Argos or whatever else is available. I'm actually surprised Blockbuster is still around, even more so that they attempted to do console pre-orders.

NiPah:
The PS3 release was a disaster? News to me (I mean system health wise, not getting into games). Most of what I hear are people complaining that they can't find 1st gen PS3s since they had backwards compatibility.

The 360 was horrible at about 30-50% failure rates to be sure, but the Wii and PS3 were much better.

It was actually 90%, and while the PS3's weren't nearly as bad, many of the release consoles died after less than two years. The early PS3's had the same overheating problems as the early 360's, only the YLoD didn't get as much medial attention as the RRoD has.

The amount of pre-order hate up in this thread is a little ridiculous. There's a vast difference between pre-ordering software and pre-ordering hardware. In the case of software, of course you don't know much until the reviews come out. There's hours and hours of content that needs to be played to get a good handle on it and software itself can be very subjective. Of course you should be more tentative when pre-ordering software, but when it comes to hardware that are in direct competition with each other, you have many tools at your disposal to know if you want a system or not.

Hardware companies have to face competition more directly than Battlefield vs. Call of Duty. They have to completely sell you on their product, so they'll lay it all down on the line. There's a lot of information out there floating about the PS4 and Xbox One. It's easy to get your hands on information regarding hardware products because of this, especially considering the amount of media attention on both systems at the moment.

But no, it's "totes cool and edgy" to hate on people and call them "sheep and fanboys" simply for wanting something on day one that they were going to buy anyways, but at least wanted to ensure that they could get it.

And I'm not even getting either console, as I'll happily stick with my PC. I just dislike the people who've got to hate on others simply for wanting something enough to want to get it the first day it comes out, or even just hating on others for liking something at all. You're not cool and edgy. You're just pretentious.

OT: I'm mostly surprised that Blockbuster still exists. I thought they were beaten back ages ago.

SkarKrow:

I'm surprised.

The fact that Blockbuster still exists at all surprises me! If I knew you people had them I would have tried moving over there. I would have failed but I still would have tried...that was my all-time favorite work-place...

Chaosritter:

NiPah:

It was actually 90%, and while the PS3's weren't nearly as bad, many of the release consoles died after less than two years. The early PS3's had the same overheating problems as the early 360's, only the YLoD didn't get as much medial attention as the RRoD has.

90%!? Bullshit. The first edition 360s had about a 33-50% failure rate. I've seen tons of people who still have working ones, and I've seen people play the first edition 360 for 20 hours straight and not break them.

I have a Blockbuster in my town, they are pretty cool about rentals, they will write off pretty much any overdue fees if you ask nicely and bend over backwards to let you rent more for less. Being that nice i cant imagine they turn a massive profit...

That said, i preorderd my PS4 from Amazon largely because i didnt have to pay for the privledge

Is it bad that while everyone is getting up and arms about the PS4 and Xbone releases, I'm finally going to go around this holiday season and pick myself up a PS3. Also if I can get my hands on one, a PS3 controller that is shaped like a 360 controller (all the advantages of the 360, with all the D-pad and stick placement of the PS3, bliss), and buy a metric ton of exclusives while everyone is orgasming over the PS4.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:
90%!? Bullshit. The first edition 360s had about a 33-50% failure rate. I've seen tons of people who still have working ones, and I've seen people play the first edition 360 for 20 hours straight and not break them.

Yeah...

Looked it up again, turned out those weren't official statistics. Look around, you'll find the argument with the 90% failure rate on 2005 models pretty easily.

Nico4:
Ouch...

You might want to quickly add content to this post mate..

I was convinced Blockbuster went bust ages again? All closed down near me? Maybe London...? Anyway, if you used a credit card now worries just call 'em up and use that lovely section 75 Consumer Act protection they've been lobbying and failing to get removed for years! If you used a debit card... well...

J Tyran:

Icehearted:
Preordering is a fool's game anyway.

Pre-ordering like this is a fools game, why anyone would stump up cash ahead of delivery like this I will never know. I pre-ordered mine in August and will get it launch day and I won't have to pay until the day they dispatch it, if it turns out to be a PoS I can have 14 days to send it back and get a refund too. I get to review it myself, don't have to pay upfront and won't even have to leave the house.

If you've got the money and need or want it ASAP, more power to ya! Even better if you've got a saucy return slip you can use, or flip it elsewhere as people do. I and most of the folks I know can't afford to be Day 1 enthusiasts, I didn't even have a PlayStation 3 until just over two years ago, and that was a sale that brought it down to $200, no tax.

I'm the kind of guy where even if I could afford to I probably wouldn't buy a rainbow array of Ferrari's, one for each day of the week. If you can and do, who am I to judge?

Icehearted:
Preordering is a fool's game anyway. Wait for reviews, see what the public says, maybe get a deal a little while later. It only technically makes sense when supporting an indie or a small project, in this case it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

This is a console, not a game, therefore this rule doesn't apply in the same way.

I mean, I don't buy consoles day 1 either, but it's quite obvious that a juggernaut console like these are likely to have many games in the long future.

On topic; yeah, I'm actually shocked Blockbuster are still going. Rentals in the UK are fucking ridiculous.

Here in Japan, the average titles costs just 0.40p-0.80p to rent for 1 week. 1 WEEK!!!!

Rainbow_Dashtruction:
Is it bad that while everyone is getting up and arms about the PS4 and Xbone releases, I'm finally going to go around this holiday season and pick myself up a PS3. Also if I can get my hands on one, a PS3 controller that is shaped like a 360 controller (all the advantages of the 360, with all the D-pad and stick placement of the PS3, bliss), and buy a metric ton of exclusives while everyone is orgasming over the PS4.

Not bad at all, however, I'm not certain the PS3 will likely drop price for a significant while. I guess there might be an influx of 2nd hand PS3s that might drive the prices down, but I think game stores know there are others like your goodself looking to pick up the console when the PS4 is the new in-thing.

Come to think of it, I still need to get a PS3 too...

Terramax:

Icehearted:
Preordering is a fool's game anyway. Wait for reviews, see what the public says, maybe get a deal a little while later. It only technically makes sense when supporting an indie or a small project, in this case it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

This is a console, not a game, therefore this rule doesn't apply in the same way.

I mean, I don't buy consoles day 1 either, but it's quite obvious that a juggernaut console like these are likely to have many games in the long future.

On topic; yeah, I'm actually shocked Blockbuster are still going. Rentals in the UK are fucking ridiculous.

Here in Japan, the average titles costs just 0.40p-0.80p to rent for 1 week. 1 WEEK!!!!

Your contextual argument is a fair one, and again I say that if you can afford to be a Day1 enthusiast, then why not I guess. Game and console preorders are different though, you're right about that, but then this sort of thing, even legitimized further by supporting the developer, didn't exactly work out well for Ouya supporters.

Then again, who really needs one of these right away? I think iPad 3 owners might point out the folly of jumping in first. Hell, even I have a launch Xbox 360, and those damned things were "fixed" and "remodeled" more times then I can count, further justifying the "wait and see" mentality.

People seem to forget how these things have a way of breaking down somewhere between the end of the honeymoon period and the time just before and after the warranty is dead. It's up to the buyer to ask if it's worth the risks.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here