Sony Releases "Ultimate FAQ" for PS4, No Support for External Hard Drives

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Releases "Ultimate FAQ" for PS4, No Support for External Hard Drives

PS4 with DualShock 4

Sony's "Ultimate FAQ" answers many lingering questions leading up to the PS4's launch, but some of the answers are not what people hoped for.

Sony posted the beginning of its long "Ultimate FAQ" to its PlayStation blog, answering questions about the contents of the PS4 at launch, hard drive specifications, hardware performance, what the console will and will not support, and much more. Sony will continue to update the FAQ leading up to launch and will answer any necessary questions post-launch. Launching Nov. 15 in the US and Canada, the PS4 will not support external hard drives, media servers, and DLNA support for streaming videos from a home PC.

PS4 owners can replace the PS4's 500GB hard drive, a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive, as long as it complies with the PS4's standards for hard drives, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB. However, the PS4 will not support external hard drives, so owners will have to swap out and replace the existing hard drive for additional storage.

Unlike the PS3, the PS4 will not support media servers or DLNA functionality, which allows users to stream media from a PC. With the PS3, users can access their PC's media from the PS3's XMB.

The FAQ also noted PS4 and PS3 users can play together cross-platform, stating the functionality is "technically possible." No games support this functionality yet, but developers can choose to support PS4 and PS3 cross-platform.

While the PS4 has a button on the DualShock 4 dedicated to sharing, the PS4 does not allow sharing to YouTube. When using the share button, users' videos can be shared via Facebook or streamed on Ustream or Twitch. Certain in-game areas may not allow recording as decided by the developer. The PS4 automatically records gameplay at a maximum of 15 minutes at a time, but it will not be shared or take up space on the hard drive until the share button is pressed. There is no time restriction for livestreams instituted by Sony, but the post notes some services may have time restrictions.

Upon launch, the PS4 requires a system update in which users must connect to the internet. However, PS4 owners can request a Blu-ray activation disc if they cannot connect to the internet on their PS4 or simply don't want to connect to the internet. Those interested should contact SCEA Consumer Services for a disc. The update can also be installed via a USB drive.

Source: PlayStation Blog

That sucks, but seeing as the games are not installed onto the harddrive I suppose that makes up for it somewhat.

I can live without the external drive, since we can put our own inside the machine, but no MP3! Wa...eh? That's a little, well, stupid if you ask me. So no background music for racers or the like, hoping this is patched in at some point. Because I'm not signing up to Sony's music service...

Hmmm, swings and roundabouts. Not really fussed, the exHHD is a bit annoying but liveable for the first few years.... Might change like the MP3. The cross ps3/ps4 play is very interesting, shame the divs haven't taken that up. Take assassins creed black flag that's out. How sweet would that be playing with a friend who doesn't want to upgrade.

This sounds a little bit restrictive. Can we expect lawsuits whenever anyone tries to mess with your hardware sony?

The "We have't forgotten the shit you pulled on GeoHot" community of hackers releases statement on forthcoming Custom Firmware for PS4.

Hilights:

PS4 owners can replace the PS4's 500GB hard drive, a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive, with an adaptor available from cheap chinese manufactures on eBay which will let you connect it to external drives.

Unlike the PS3, the PS4 will not support media servers or DLNA functionality, which allows users to stream media from a PC. With the PS3, users can access their PC's media from the PS3's XMB. Unless you have custom firmware. Which is why Sony may pull a 180 on this nonsense.

While the PS4 has a button on the DualShock 4 dedicated to sharing, the PS4 does not allow sharing to YouTube; an option will be available to remap this so it becomes a button dedicated to sharing on YouTube.

Additionally: Linux. All the linux. And that means Steam on PS4. And that means using the PS4 as just a Steambox when you're tired of massive pointless weekly security updates.

Welcome to the future, please ignore the deja vu.

Hm, I don't really mind the lack of that sharing software, mainly due to a quote I do like from one of my favorite YouTube reviewers, Stuart Ashen:

... However, if you're uploading unedited footage directly to the Internet for other people to see, you don't really deserve to have a video camera, or the ability to breathe.

All this makes me appreciate how well designed the PS3 and 360 actually are. I can't even play MP3s?! That is a ridiculous move.

Alot to digest. I actually went to the blog to see it all for myself. None the less I'm sure there will be some happy and others upset with the info. Regardless seems reasonable to some extent. And I'm even more certain those against PS4 will use this ammo well. Still looking forward to the complete release:

When does PS4 come out in different countries and regions?

North America: November 15th, 2013 (Canada and the United States)
Europe: November 29th, 2013. (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia , Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom)
Latin America: November 29th, 2013 (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Peru)
Japan: February 22nd, 2014
Asia regions: The middle of December 2013
Other regions: TBA

Perhaps when everyone has the PS4 we might see some patches and fixes to the issues people might have.

God damn it, I hate when these companies don't let us use standard HDD's for storage. All they want is for us to buy their pre approved hardware so that they get a cut of the revenue.

The rest of it I don't really care about.

CardinalPiggles:
God damn it, I hate when these companies don't let us use standard HDD's for storage. All they want is for us to buy their pre approved hardware so that they get a cut of the revenue.

The rest of it I don't really care about.

Erm... the PS4 does support a standard [third party] HDD.

To me, "the rest of it" is what provides the primary motivation to cancel my pre-order.

So. No external harddrives (although the internal one can be replaced, so that's something), no media streaming and the share functionality is so limited I think it's better to not use it at all (share directly to FB?, no thanks).

I hope these can be fixed, because compared to what the PS3 can already do, it's quite limited, to say the least.

CAPTCHA: Less is more. Shut yo face captcha.

And yet it still looks better than the Xbone. Not being able to upload stuff to Youtube is odd though, I know they have a partnership thing going on with Twitch but think of how many people watch lets plays and gameplay stuff on Youtube. They're ignoring a lot of people who could be watching game footage and potentially buying their stuff in the future. Although I guess LPers won't be using the built in recording feature and rely on something better anyway, then they can upload it where they please an not have to stitch together 15 minute chunks of gameplay.

But... I like my DLNA server! I worked very hard to build that thing. [sigh] I suppose I'll just have to turn my console off and switch to my PC when I want to access my Plex or XBMC DLNA servers.

Also... wait, no external HDDs allowed? So, how does that update from USB work?

no external hard disk, no media server, man that sucks. And the more information they release about the video capture stuff the less i understand why anyone would want to use it.

at this point i could very easily jump ship to xbox the two consoles are very similar and without backwards compatibility there's no reason to stick with PlayStation, it is still cheaper though

Upon launch, the PS4 requires a system update in which users must connect to the internet.

Again, it's not required. I realize it's quibbling because most people will want it, and a lot of the internet functionality won't work without it and you can't play movies without it. But being able to get your game console home, put a game in it, turn it on, and play the game should be the minimum acceptable standard for any console. Even the Wii U managed that.

Nothing here bothers me at all except, maybe, the no sharing to Youtube functionality. Then again, I really don't know if I'd use it anyway and I would be sort of surprised if it didn't pop up at some point later on.

So maybe I missed it when I looked through it, but this means I can use a standard PC hard drive, right? Does this include Solid State Drives? And can I play videos and movies from a flash drive like I can with the PS3?

Aside from the lack of MP3 (Seriously, what the fuck is the point of Mp3 playing? You likely have 5 things that can do that in the room your playing the PS4 in, and switching the music in games just means you change the intended part of the games soundtrack for something less fitting) the only problem here is no external hard drive. But hey, 500 gb. That is all you really need since you don't lose games by deleting them off the hard drive.

Is it generally assumed that 5400 rpm is the fastest drive the system will accept, like the ps3?

I'm rather disappointed in having games being cached to the hard drive: makes me wonder why I should even bother owning a console in the first place. Although they aren't entirely specific as to how far the caching of the game discs go (is it the entire disc? Couldn't tell), if it takes the entire disc onto the hard drive then it isn't much more than a PC without a monitor. Why wouldn't I stick with Steam, grab a PS4 controller, and play all my games -- with better graphics -- there than on the PS4 or even the Xbox One? That's what really separated out the console and the PC for me: PCs required a lot more space and consoles had a (relatively) short install and update period.

Probably just a step in the new all digital generation. Sigh, I'm not ready for my console to do that! :/

As for MP3s, CDs, and media servers...meh. Kinda care about the media server but not enough to make a fuss about it. Curious about external storage though.

So the sharing button doesn't allow me to take pics and videos for myself to keep on my HD?
Disappointing.

The share button is without a doubt the most atrophied feature ever implemented on any console. It's too restrictive to be of any use to LPers or anyone else who produces content for the web; essentially it's just a glorified form of advertising via Facebook, one that puts Sony on the level of Zynga by encouraging you to spam your friends about your achievements that no one cares about.

Glad they're doing this before the console's actually released rather than potentially leaving nasty shocks for people who pre ordered. That said I did think there was more disappointing news than exciting news here.

Pros:

Cons:

Sufficit to say I'll not be getting the first iteration of the PS4. Some of the issues are forgivable but some of them just seem so basic and easily fixed that it's actually quite irritating to see them present in what should be cutting edge technology.

oldtaku:

Upon launch, the PS4 requires a system update in which users must connect to the internet.

Again, it's not required. I realize it's quibbling because most people will want it, and a lot of the internet functionality won't work without it and you can't play movies without it. But being able to get your game console home, put a game in it, turn it on, and play the game should be the minimum acceptable standard for any console. Even the Wii U managed that.

Yes because paying $400 hundred dollars for the BARE BASICS of being able to put "disc in game unit" and have it play......is what we should be grateful for. Absolutely, we should all bow down and give thanks to our Sony Overloards for the this privilege.

And Nintendo DID do that......20 years ago, at the price of a hundred bucks. So, what's Sony's excuse?

Why do you mean, it can't share videos on YouTube? That's just utterly bizarre to me, considering it's the main video sharing website out there and a key usage for Let's Players.

The cross-platform gaming sounds good though.

funkzillabot:

oldtaku:

Yes because paying $400 hundred dollars for the BARE BASICS of being able to put "disc in game unit" and have it play......is what we should be grateful for. Absolutely, we should all bow down and give thanks to our Sony Overloards for the this privilege.

And Nintendo DID do that......20 years ago, at the price of a hundred bucks. So, what's Sony's excuse?

Don't you know, Sony is apparently the second coming of Christ to the gaming community

What possible reason could they have to not include DLNA streaming? It's not that critical an issue for me to have as I have other boxen that support it I can connect to my TV (heh, including the PS3), but it seems rather weird not to include support for it at all.

Arawn:
Europe: November 29th, 2013. (Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia , Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom)

I have a suddent urge to start assaulting Sony PR hacks with an atlas.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:
(Seriously, what the fuck is the point of Mp3 playing? You likely have 5 things that can do that in the room your playing the PS4 in, and switching the music in games just means you change the intended part of the games soundtrack for something less fitting)

Are you telling me you have 5 different sets of speakers in your media room? Because having one set of speakers and 5 input devices isn't going to help you listen to MP3's while your PS4 is the one using the speakers...

And what about those with surround sound systems? Even if there is an additional pair of small speakers in the room, don't you think those people would much rather have the music AND the game come out of the expensive surround system?

Or what, you're going to wear headphones for music while playing a game on speakers?

Maybe, just maybe, people are right to expect an 8-core, 8GB of RAM, 400$ (especially if you're paying 400 Euros (550$) or 350 Pounds (562$)) piece of kit to be able to do at least as much as a PC from 12 years ago, or indeed, as much as the previous consoles.

But then I hate the consoles, so this is all very entertaining to me!

funkzillabot:

oldtaku:

Woah, you're really making a mountain out of a molehill, aren't you?

Yeah, you're paying $400 bucks for "bare basics". Are you paying extra for anything in the patch? No?

I think people can handle "only" being able to play games on it until the patch downloads or until the internet comes back on. Yeah, I think it's crappy too, yes I agree it's pretty pathetic how simple things such as DVD playback needs a patch, but it's not a big deal, or even a permanent issue.

I mean, come on, "we should all bow down and give thanks to our Sony Overlords"? Oh boo hoo, you need to wait a while before you can use your PS4 to watch Iron Man 3 and find something else to do with your time... Like using it to play games. I'm sure it's going to ruin the entire PS4 experience for you (yes, I used that PR phrase).

And no, I'm not a PS4 fanboy and I have very little intention of getting one.

Can the Playstation 4 play PS1, PS2 *and* PS3 games?

Neta:

There's this little bit in the blog.

Can I play my PS3 games on my PS4 system?

No, PS4 does not feature backward compatibility for PS3, PS2, or PSone games.

On top of not having any killer apps for launch, it's going to be -completely- incompatible with all previous generations. Fuck this shit.

Captcha: press into service

Neta:

PS1, quite possibly, as it's done solely through emulation of the software. PS2 is trickier because of the emotion engine chip, which was phased out in later versions of the PS3, although some clever custom firmware modders have gotten them to run on non-backwards compatible PS3's by converting them into PS2 classics, much like you could convert PS1 titles to be played on PSP. PS3 on PS4 just isn't possible, due to the structure of the cell architecture, and PS4 running a x86 architecture.

EDIT: I stand corrected on the PSone bit. But really, the only way you're playing previous generations of games on PS4, is by purchasing downloadable classics from the PSN, or streaming if that option is available.

funkzillabot:
Yes because paying $400 hundred dollars for the BARE BASICS of being able to put "disc in game unit" and have it play......is what we should be grateful for.

That's just the sad state of things now. I know it's pathetic and I weep for both the Wii U and the PS 4 shipping with nothing working but this, but then the XB1 doesn't even manage that level of functionality out of the box.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.