Xbox One Launch Games' Install Sizes Revealed

The sizes vary greatly from 246 MB to 43 GB.

Xbox One comes with 500 GB available on the hard drive, but that space will fill up fast for anyone who plans on playing a lot of games. Every Xbox One videogame has a mandatory install regardless of whether it is a physical or digital copy. Thanks to one Target consumer receiving his Xbox One early, Twitter user Moonlightswami revealed Call of Duty: Ghosts is 39 GB to install. More users posted to NeoGAF the install sizes for other Xbox One games and noted discs install automatically when inserted and some games are playable during installation. Call of Duty: Ghosts was available to play after installation reached 51%.

NeoGAF users compiled a list of installation sizes:

• Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - 20 GB
  • Battlefield 4 - 33 GB
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts - 39 GB
  • Dead Rising 3 - 19 GB
  • FIFA 14 - 8 GB
  • Fighter Within - 9.2 GB
  • Forza Motorsport 5 - 31 GB
  • Just Dance 2014 - 22 GB
  • Killer Instinct - 3.4 GB
  • LocoCycle - 13 GB
  • Madden NFL 25 - 12 GB
  • NBA 2K14 - 43 GB
  • NBA Live 14 - 9 GB
  • Powerstar Golf - 3.9 GB
  • Ryse: Son of Rome - 34 GB
  • Skylanders: Swap Force - 15 GB
  • Xbox Fitness - 246 MB
  • Zoo Tycoon - 2.6 GB
  • Zumba World Party - 24 GB

That adds up to a total of about 341 GB. Xbox One does not support external storage at launch, but Microsoft will support external storage connected via the USB 3.0 port in the future. The PS4 also has mandatory installations.

Source: Twitter, NeoGAF via X-One Magazine

I don't mind mandatory installs, but if games are consistently gonna be this big, we damn well need bigger hard drives than 500GB. Just watch, next year we'll see model refreshes with 1TB.

P.S. Thanks

Sooo... Does anybody else see how consoles are becoming more and more like PCs?

Just, you know, without any of the bonuses.

Okay call me crazy, but WHAT THE HADES is with the massive difference in file sizes from the console to the PC games? I never get those huge install files when I install games but my god. I mean even the source engine itself is still the largest file for video games because it is just that damn bulky. But at least it supports like what 5 games?

SILENTrampancy:
Sooo... Does anybody else see how consoles are becoming more and more like PCs?

Just, you know, without any of the bonuses.

My thoughts exactly. Why don't they just go back to the carts? No more installs, no more hard drives. Win, win!

how is NBA 43 gigs??!?! its a fucking sports game. how are any of these installs SO BIG???

See it wouldn't be as bad, if the Xbox One had a changeable HDD like how the PS4 does. I mean I remember reading that they won't be supporting external USB HDDs at launch, which makes no sense since there are game installs required to play the games. I mean hell I can see this backfiring badly, as even Nintendo made sure to support external HDDs at launch.

SpcyhknBC:

My thoughts exactly. Why don't they just go back to the carts? No more installs, no more hard drives. Win, win!

Carts can't hold nearly as much as how the Bluray discs of today can. Plus, the whole loading time issue that was non-existent with carts is becoming obsolete since the newer games have loading times now since the sizes of the games on carts has increased.

Currently, a dual-layered Bluray disc that PS3 games use and what the PS4 and Xbox One will use can hold up to a maximum 50 GB, and the Wii U's Optical Disc can hold up to 25 GB and is single layered (there aren't any dual layered ones yet and it is a modified Bluray disc by Panasonic). Not to mention that the 300 GB Bluray disc is possibly going to be hitting a more commercial release in the next couple of years since I remember reading that it was finally coming out of prototype development, and they've found ways to produce them cheaper.

If we were to go based on say the 3DS cartridges they can only hold a maximum of 1.8 GBs total, with the old DS cards holding up to a maximum of 512 MB.
R4 cards can hold much more, but also keep in mind that they are illegal to sell in most countries, and can't hold anywhere near the size of discs.

Finally, discs are cheaper to print and write to when compared to cards so companies get more bang for their buck when it comes to using discs instead of cards.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe the bulk of data that was taken up on Blu-ray discs was not so much for 1080p video, but rather high-fidelity, uncompressed sound. I wonder if that's the reason for these huge install sizes.

I suspect the huge installs have something to do with the games originally expecting the disc to not be present during game play.

That is to say, this is a legacy of Microsoft's attempt at DRM - these games with massive installs were designed to run off the hard drive.

Well you dont need to keep every game you buy installed on your hard drive. Just install games your playing and those your intend to play later, everything else delete off it to save space. Thats just common sense. This is what i call a classic 1st world problem as its a non issue.

That's Blu-Ray for ya. While some of the install sizes seem much larger than I'd expect them to be, I'm not terribly surprised. I'm very conservative with my hard drive storage space. Hell, I still have 200 out of the 250gigs free on my 360 because I'm stingy.

Neronium:

SpcyhknBC:

Carts can't hold nearly as much as how the Bluray discs of today can. Plus, the whole loading time issue that was non-existent with carts is becoming obsolete since the newer games have loading times now since the sizes of the games on carts has increased.

Currently, a dual-layered Bluray disc that PS3 games use and what the PS4 and Xbox One will use can hold up to a maximum 50 GB, and the Wii U's Optical Disc can hold up to 25 GB and is single layered (there aren't any dual layered ones yet and it is a modified Bluray disc by Panasonic). Not to mention that the 300 GB Bluray disc is possibly going to be hitting a more commercial release in the next couple of years since I remember reading that it was finally coming out of prototype development, and they've found ways to produce them cheaper.

If we were to go based on say the 3DS cartridges they can only hold a maximum of 1.8 GBs total, with the old DS cards holding up to a maximum of 512 MB.
R4 cards can hold much more, but also keep in mind that they are illegal to sell in most countries, and can't hold anywhere near the size of discs.

Finally, discs are cheaper to print and write to when compared to cards so companies get more bang for their buck when it comes to using discs instead of cards.

It really has nothing to do with how much a cartridge can hold because the technology is there. It the cost per storage. A blu-ray roughly around 4 cents per gigabyte vs a cartridge about 10x that at 35-40 cents per gigabyte.

Yeah my plan to get a 2tb drive was a good one. what's that Microsoft, your system only supports your brand of HDD and there's none that size? Lucky I'm getting the PS4, a much better system.

On a 500Gb non-swappable HDD. What a disaster.

captcha: run away!

Good advice!

At least you can upgrade the PS4 HDD. Hell, you can even put in an SSD if you're feeling adventurous.

RicoADF:
Yeah my plan to get a 2tb drive was a good one. what's that Microsoft, your system only supports your brand of HDD and there's none that size? Lucky I'm getting the PS4, a much better system.

Adam Jensen:
On a 500Gb non-swappable HDD. What a disaster.

captcha: run away!

Good advice!

At least you can upgrade the PS4 HDD. Hell, you can even put in an SSD if you're feeling adventurous.

The article just said that all the games together add up to about 341 GB. So even if you got ALL OF THE GAMES and installed them, you'd still have 159 GB's left.

And they're going to add support for external HDD's later anyway. Not to mention any future XOne console revisions.

RicoADF:

How much was that? I'm toying with the idea, but don't have a lot of free money to spend right now. Wondering how easy replacing it will be, though.

Saltyk:

RicoADF:

How much was that? I'm toying with the idea, but don't have a lot of free money to spend right now. Wondering how easy replacing it will be, though.

I haven't got one yet as PS4 hasn't been released yet, just looked and I can't find any 2TB 2.5" HDD. A 1TB WD will set you back approx $100AUD. I'll need to keep looking.
PS3 was easy to replace and I hear PS4 is no different.

roseofbattle:

The sizes vary greatly from 246 MB to 43 GB.

Xbox One coes with 500 GB available on the hard drive, but that space will fill up fast for anyone who plans on playing a lot of games. Every Xbox One videogame has a mandatory install regardless of whether it is a physical or digital copy. Thanks to one Target consumer receiving his Xbox One early, Twitter user Moonlightswami revealed Call of Duty: Ghosts is 39 GB to install. More users posted to NeoGAF the install sizes for other Xbox One games and noted discs install automatically when inserted and some games are playable during installation. Call of Duty: Ghosts was available to play after installation reached 51%.

NeoGAF users compiled a list of installation sizes:

• Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag - 20 GB
  • Battlefield 4 - 33 GB
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts - 39 GB
  • Dead Rising 3 - 19 GB
  • FIFA 14 - 8 GB
  • Fighter Within - 9.2 GB
  • Forza Motorsport 5 - 31 GB
  • Just Dance 2014 - 22 GB
  • Killer Instinct - 3.4 GB
  • LocoCycle - 13 GB
  • Madden NFL 25 - 12 GB
  • NBA 2K14 - 43 GB
  • NBA Live 14 - 9 GB
  • Powerstar Golf - 3.9 GB
  • Ryse: Son of Rome - 34 GB
  • Skylanders: Swap Force - 15 GB
  • Xbox Fitness - 246 MB
  • Zoo Tycoon - 2.6 GB
  • Zumba World Party - 24 GB

That adds up to a total of about 341 GB. Xbox One does not support external storage at launch, but Microsoft will support external storage connected via the USB 3.0 port in the future. The PS4 also has mandatory installations.

Source: Twitter, NeoGAF via X-One Magazine

One thing really sticks out there.

Assassin's creed 4 - 20 GB
Just Dance 2014 - 22 GB

Why does just dance 2014 take up 2 more gigs of space than assassin's creed 4? Are they adding new clothing physics or super detailed braids? What?

Arnoxthe1:

The article just said that all the games together add up to about 341 GB. So even if you got ALL OF THE GAMES and installed them, you'd still have 159 GB's left.

And they're going to add support for external HDD's later anyway. Not to mention any future XOne console revisions.

I know it says 500GB, but most HDD take a portion of that space for themselves. So maybe 475-485ish? Xbox One's storage isn't removable, but I thought they allow external storage. OR am I thinking something else?

That's 19 games for about 341GB, it will most likely take me a few years to get 19 games and by the time I get anywhere near the 500GB I will be able to delete some of the stored games. This really doesn't seem like it is that much of an issue unless you're super rich and can afford to buy $100 games every month or so.

i call complete bull on this list. COD: Ghosts is a bit over 24 GB on PC, so unless they think it will have 50% more content on Xbox:ON version they can forget it. unless their storage method is actaulyl THAT badly optimized, which would mean the studio was taken over by crazy monkeys and it probably wont work anyway.

FizzyIzze:
If memory serves me correctly, I believe the bulk of data that was taken up on Blu-ray discs was not so much for 1080p video, but rather high-fidelity, uncompressed sound. I wonder if that's the reason for these huge install sizes.

while sound in games have been rusing in size taken, especialyl since when you have to put 100 hours of soundtrack and voiceovers you do need a lot of space, it is not that huge. AC3, which is a lossless audio that retains CD quality audio would take up to 1 GB in a 2 hour movie, so thats 1/25th of single layer Blur-Ray size. In fact, The more comrpessed you go the more sound takes in relation as you can only compress sound so much till it becomes too bad to be worth it (Remmeber MP3 64 kb, yeah), but you can lower video resolution, compress it, vary its bitrate to not refresh parts of frames that aren't moving (like a long dialogue will ahve a lot of background thats not moving - dont need no data there, just code "Repeat", actually that is the method projectors used to handle huge video streams before HDMI was invented, since in slides you only need to change ever so often, so you can jut send command to "dont change anything" instead of sending whole new frame).
so the higher quality you go the less audiotrack will take, and audio while you can blow it up with huge bitrates and frequencies, the result will only be that 99.9% speakers cant do that anyway and those that do - most humans cant even hear that. so thats pointless. you can however increase video quality, less compression (the DVD MPEG is really terrible sometimes, i still love dvds though), higher resolution, higher framerate, higher bitrate, and thing is, people will actually be able to tell the difference much more easily.

Tenmar:
Okay call me crazy, but WHAT THE HADES is with the massive difference in file sizes from the console to the PC games? I never get those huge install files when I install games but my god. I mean even the source engine itself is still the largest file for video games because it is just that damn bulky. But at least it supports like what 5 games?

The hades are in that these nubmers are wrong. just like the minimum requirements are often wrong. remmeber those require 8 GB of space when the game actually takes 3 games? that stuff.
As for whats actually in the game - high resolution textures are HUGE size wise and so is good quality audio. especially of the game has like 100 hours of variuos voice overs background music ect.

Vie:
I suspect the huge installs have something to do with the games originally expecting the disc to not be present during game play.

That is to say, this is a legacy of Microsoft's attempt at DRM - these games with massive installs were designed to run off the hard drive.

On PC you dont need the disc to play either, and yet it takes at least 50% less space.

Baldr:

It really has nothing to do with how much a cartridge can hold because the technology is there. It the cost per storage. A blu-ray roughly around 4 cents per gigabyte vs a cartridge about 10x that at 35-40 cents per gigabyte.

Blueray, 4 cents per gygabite? best case scenario, duallayer br at 50 gb, thats 2 dollars for a disc. an empty single layer (25 gb) blueray disc at store costs 5-7 dollars. thats 24 cents per gigabite.

Saltyk:

I bought a 2 TB external drive this spring from a local importer. It cost me bellow 200 dollars, and so far it has worked flawlessly.

Arawn:
I know it says 500GB, but most HDD take a portion of that space for themselves. So maybe 475-485ish? Xbox One's storage isn't removable, but I thought they allow external storage. OR am I thinking something else?

technically, HDDs structure does take portion of itself for themselves. however that portion is in megabites. tens of megabytes. you wont see the loss. the difference you see is because of the counting differences. manufacturers count 1000 MB = 1 GB (and so on). Microsoft, sony, and pretty much everyone else counts 1024 MB = 1 GB. and same goes for MB to KB, KB to B and so on, so in the end your left with something like 480.000 MB = 470 GB, and thus you see 30 GB missing. Strnagely enough, USB Stick manufacturers are the only electronics i know that manufacture stuff counting in 1024 format and thus you wont see missing stuff.

SirDeadly:
That's 19 games for about 341GB, it will most likely take me a few years to get 19 games and by the time I get anywhere near the 500GB I will be able to delete some of the stored games. This really doesn't seem like it is that much of an issue unless you're super rich and can afford to buy $100 games every month or so.

lets say in 6 years there will be a bunch of games for 20 dollars each (used probably) that you can easily fill the HDD with much cheaper. problem starts.

Oooooof! Well, I guess that means I am going to have to make sure I FINISH the game, IE all achievements and such so I can clean it out of my hard drive, or I might wind up in trouble. Obviously with the new consoles going this route, gamers will have to figure a work around, but it is a mite aggravating. I mean, seeing as I have played HUNDREDS of games on the 360, so I guess I better start managing my space better.

Strazdas:

Baldr:

Blueray, 4 cents per gygabite? best case scenario, duallayer br at 50 gb, thats 2 dollars for a disc. an empty single layer (25 gb) blueray disc at store costs 5-7 dollars. thats 24 cents per gigabite.

We are talking about manufacturing costs, not consumer costs, 4 cents is a little on the high end.

Baldr:

Strazdas:

Baldr:

We are talking about manufacturing costs, not consumer costs, 4 cents is a little on the high end.

Fair enough, i guess they have 600% markup there when selling those to consumers then.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here