Humble Store Opens With 24-Hour Debut Sale

Humble Store Opens With 24-Hour Debut Sale

The new Humble Store is offering a debut sale with games including Don't Starve, Gunpoint, Orcs Must Die 2 and The Swapper at 50 to 75 percent off.

First there was the Humble Bundle, and it was good. Then came the Humble Weekly Sale, and it was pretty cool too. Now it's time for the next step in the Humble evolution: The Humble Store, where games go on sale and proceeds go to charity.

The Humble Store functions kind of like the regular Humble Bundle, but there are a few key differences. For one thing, you can buy the games individually, so if you only want, say, Euro Truck Simulator 2, you only buy Euro Truck Simulator 2. The money is also divided up at a fixed rate, with 75 percent going to the developers, 15 percent to the Humble guys and ten percent to charity, shared equally among the American Red Cross, Child's Play, the EFF, World Land Trust and Charity: Water. It will also have a lot more games on offer than you'd see in a standard bundle.

The current sale is valid until 2 pm EST on November 12, and yes, that's tomorrow - sales will be updated every 24 hours. All games in the current lineup are available on Steam and several also have DRM-free and Linux options as well. There are even a couple of Mac versions in there.

The observant among you may feel an urge to point out that the Humble Store has actually been around for awhile now as a way for indie developers to hawk their wares, but this is a full-on digital storefront along the lines of Steam or GOG. That means more indie developers, more games and more sales in one highly visible place - and that's a good thing for everyone.

Source: The Humble Store

So it's like a Steam sale but every day? Cripes...

I'm not a fan of not being able to choose which charity the money goes towards, plus I'd rather give more than 10%. So kind of a mixed bag for me.

CriticalMiss:

I'm not a fan of not being able to choose which charity the money goes towards, plus I'd rather give more than 10%. So kind of a mixed bag for me.

Please look at the maths again, but I concur. I would prefer to divvy up the charity percentages myself and give 25% to the devs and storefront.
Edit: NVM it is I who needs to check my figures. I still agree that more should go to the charitys. I guess I'll just hang out for the bundles.

Kind of feels like they sold out but I suppose having the 10% go to charity rather than 0 is still something.

octafish:
Please look at the maths again, but I concur. I would prefer to divvy up the charity percentages myself and give 25% to the devs and storefront.
Edit: NVM it is I who needs to check my figures. I still agree that more should go to the charitys. I guess I'll just hang out for the bundles.

It's not just the percentage either, it's being split between five charities rather than the usual two, so each one is getting less. I wouldn't mind the 10% as much if you got to choose which charity it goes to or splitting it between a couple of your choice.

I'd prefer a split of 50% devs, 25% charity and 25% Humble (if they insist on taking that much). Usually I go 50/50 between the devs and the charities so I suppose they wanted to ensure people didn't do that any more.

The point is i think that this is a net good. As someone mentioned, 10% is better than 0 and the devs and Humble do need a something to deal with this. Can you imagine what Humble's server fees must be like? Doing what they do isn't volunteer work for those people, it isn't a weekend project, this is their 9-to-5.

That said. i see titles that i like and I'll go for it.

I got my mitts on Rogue Legacy. I really like the functionality of the Humble site, so this is something I support fully. Can't wait to have my Kickstarter games popping up on the Humble store too.

!!!BUYER BEWARE!!!
==================
I would like to give a warning about this store.

It doesn't tell you if you can actually access the games you buy through the Humble Store.

This is a HUGE problem if you are one of those anti-DRM, anti-Steam bastards like myself.

I've just bought both Orcs must die 2 and Natural Selection 2 but I can't play them at all, I can't even download them, I can't do a damn thing because these games aren't actually available. You NEED a steam account and download/play them with Steam.

I don't have nor want anything to do with Steam, so I wasted my money with this shit.

The real problem is with the Humble Store not telling me about this at all. Steam is never once mentioned as a requirement to download/play these game. I've looked beforehand because I'm always afraid of this kind of bullshit and now it finally happened.

---
Currently I have no idea if I can even get my money back, the Humble Store is flooded with emails at the moment and it'll be days before I get a response. What is worse is that this store doesn't seem to provide any information on the purchases you've made, what I mean is that other online stores always have a page where you can look at the ID info and such of the orders you've bought with them. The Humble Store doesn't have this, so its only through other sites like paypal that I figured out my order ID which I apparently need when talking with the Humble Store guys.

Right now its kind of a fucking mess.
==================
!!!BUYER BEWARE!!!

Valderis:
not knowing if a game is actually DRM-free or not snippage

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Bottom of the page, as well as whenever you hover your mouse over one of the titles. Each game has a list of different icons: Don't Starve, for example, has a Steam icon, a "DRM FREE" icon, an Apple icon, what I think is a Windows icon, and a Linux icon. Prison Architect and Rogue Legacy both have the same icons. Euro Truck Simulator only has the Steam, Windows, and Linux icons.

I wish they wouldn't give any to the Red Cross, they embezzle an insane amount of money.

BartyMae:

Valderis:
not knowing if a game is actually DRM-free or not snippage

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Bottom of the page, as well as whenever you hover your mouse over one of the titles. Each game has a list of different icons: Don't Starve, for example, has a Steam icon, a "DRM FREE" icon, an Apple icon, what I think is a Windows icon, and a Linux icon. Prison Architect and Rogue Legacy both have the same icons. Euro Truck Simulator only has the Steam, Windows, and Linux icons.

Nope, that's not the same. Those Icons are only there to show you on what platform they can be played.

All the games there have a steam icon, that's because you can unlock them on your steam account if you want to, but that doesn't mean that they will force you to. Just because a game doesn't have a DRM-free icon doesn't mean that it MUST be unlocked via steam, it just means that it has some form of DRM in it, which could just be that you have to enter in a key during installation or on your first start-up.

Another problem is that its not stated anywhere what these icons actually mean. And that these icons don't have the same meaning in all sections of their site.

Valderis:

Snip

Just pointing out, at the bottom of the page with the list of currently available items there are icons next to each one, indicating whether or not they are DRM free. Don't hold Humble accountable that you didn't look up whether your stringent anti-Steam principles matched with the games you wanted to get.

EDIT: In fact with me glancing even closer, when hovering over the game, it shows the icons of what platforms they are suitable/require, and when clicked, they have it in the window that pops up of the game. Three entire instances of whether a game is Windows/Mac/Linux or DRM-Free or Steam or whatever.

OT: This is pretty awesome, and I'm tempted by a fair few. Never hurts to have more things going on sale and getting promotion, but I do wish I could choose what charity. I'm British, I have no desire to have my money go to the American Red Cross, instead of say the EFF or Child's Play.

SilverStrike:

Just pointing out, at the bottom of the page with the list of currently available items there are icons next to each one, indicating whether or not they are DRM free. Don't hold Humble accountable that you didn't look up whether your stringent anti-Steam principles matched with the games you wanted to get.

EDIT: In fact with me glancing even closer, when hovering over the game, it shows the icons of what platforms they are suitable/require, and when clicked, they have it in the window that pops up of the game. Three entire instances of whether a game is Windows/Mac/Linux or DRM-Free or Steam or whatever.

OT: This is pretty awesome, and I'm tempted by a fair few. Never hurts to have more things going on sale and getting promotion, but I do wish I could choose what charity. I'm British, I have no desire to have my money go to the American Red Cross, instead of say the EFF or Child's Play.

It's not just about DRM, its about forcing the use of Steam without a warning.

The Steam icon is there because you can unlock these games in your steam library as well, it doesn't mean you are forced to use steam.

It never warns you when it does force you to use steam, that is the main problem.

Valderis:
Snip

I'd have thought it'd be common sense that games without a DRM Free icon would not be DRM free. So, I disagree. A game without that Icon, that does have a Steam Icon, MUST be unlocked via Steam. You're just being a derp.

And as for what the icons are, it's kind of really obvious. There are only five icons. Steam, DRM FREE, Windows Mac and Linux.

For example, you're not gonna play Orcs Must Die 2 without playing it on Steam. As it has a Steam Icon, and a Windows Icon. Preeetty clear.

EDIT: So essentially what you want is a big ol' neon sign going YOU NEED STEAM FOR THIS. Alongside the icons denoting that that is the case.

SilverStrike:

I'd have thought it'd be common sense that games without a DRM Free icon would not be DRM free. So, I disagree. A game without that Icon, that does have a Steam Icon, MUST be unlocked via Steam. You're just being a derp.

And as for what the icons are, it's kind of really obvious. There are only five icons. Steam, DRM FREE, Windows Mac and Linux.

For example, you're not gonna play Orcs Must Die 2 without playing it on Steam. As it has a Steam Icon, and a Windows Icon. Preeetty clear.

EDIT: So essentially what you want is a big ol' neon sign going YOU NEED STEAM FOR THIS. Alongside the icons denoting that that is the case.

You are just plain wrong. There are more kinds of DRM then steam. A steam icon only means you can unlock it on steam, not that you must unlock it there.

It's never shown that you MUST have steam, its not there in the requirements list for the games.

What is shown is that it is available on windows separate from steam. So it would logically follow that you would be able to play it without needing steam.

Valderis:

SilverStrike:

You are just plain wrong. There are more kinds of DRM then steam. A steam icon only means you can unlock it on steam, not that you must unlock it there.

It's never shown that you MUST have steam, its not there in the requirements list for the games.

What is shown is that it is available on windows separate from steam. So it would logically follow that you would be able to play it without needing steam.

If you were just casually looking at a game or two, I could see it from your point of view...but as soon as you see the "DRM FREE" icon, I think it's pretty clear that when there's only ONE platform icon, that's the only platform it can be unlocked on. Same logic as them only including the Windows icon for some of them - it doesn't mean that it CAN be played on Windows alongside other operating systems, but rather that it MUST be played on Windows, (unless there's another icon which denotes that it can also be played on said OS that it is representing).

Valderis:

SilverStrike:

A lot of the games have a sign on them that says "DRM-Free!", and if you've been using the HIB for any length of time or even just moused over more than a couple of the games, you should have noticed this.

Yes, there are more kinds of DRM than Steam, but you're essentially complaining because none of the games have a massive "Warning: No DRM" sign on them, when there are a plethora of games with a "No DRM happy times" icons. No offense, but cut the crap and don't act like it's being directly misleading.

And your logic is off. How the icons clearly work is "You MUST play this game on this OS/service, unless there is another conflicting one next to it in which case you have the option of playing it on that instead." Hence, Steam vs No DRM, and Windows vs Macs vs Linux. Last time I checked, you can't play a game using Steam (Or no DRM) without an OS.

BartyMae:

If you were just casually looking at a game or two, I could see it from your point of view...but as soon as you see the "DRM FREE" icon, I think it's pretty clear that when there's only ONE platform icon, that's the only platform it can be unlocked on. Same logic as them only including the Windows icon for some of them - it doesn't mean that it CAN be played on Windows alongside other operating systems, but rather that it MUST be played on Windows, (unless there's another icon which denotes that it can also be played on said OS that it is representing).

I don't know how many more times I have to tell people that just because it has a Steam Icon and no DRM-FREE icon doesn't mean that the DRM is steam related.

You know what's funny, I just discovered that the DRM-FREE icon is bullshit. I'm trying out "Don't Starve" which has a DRM-FREE icon and guess what? It's asking for a code in order to update the game. Fan-fucking-tastic!! It's asking for a code but I was never given one nor was I told about this shit when I bought the game.

It's just getting better and better.

Valderis:

BartyMae:

I don't know how many more times I have to tell people that just because it has a Steam Icon and no DRM-FREE icon doesn't mean that the DRM is steam related.

Except it actually does. I mean, that is literally what it means. It may not be clear, and you may have been confused by it, but that is literally what it means.

Valderis:

BartyMae:

You know what's funny, I just discovered that the DRM-FREE icon is bullshit. I'm trying out "Don't Starve" which has a DRM-FREE icon and guess what? It's asking for a code in order to update the game. Fan-fucking-tastic!! It's asking for a code but I was never given one nor was I told about this shit when I bought the game.

It's just getting better and better.

Your other complaints are rather tedious, as it's painfully obvious what is only available via Steam; as others have said.

I have to agree though, that your new situation with Don't Starve is rather shitty. What code is it asking you for?

I think that the percentages are very fair. The vast majority goes to the people who spent the time and money to actually make the game. This makes it easier to get new games to put on the site, and makes it so the indie devs can keep eating. 15% for the Humble guys isn't bad. They host the DRM free copies if I'm not mistaken, which is a decent chunk of bandwidth. And they obviously want to get paid too, since this is basically becoming a sales platform. 10% to charity is still a good amount. It's not huge, but it's not insignificant either. As the front page mentions, they've raised over $72k for charities already.

That said, I do think you should be able to spread your donations out however you want. There's no real reason not to as far as I can tell.

The main thing to keep in mind though is that, while a part of the Humble 'brand,' this is not the Humble Bundles. This is a storefront, which makes things change.

Bug MuIdoon:

Your other complaints are rather tedious, as it's painfully obvious what is only available via Steam; as others have said.

I have to agree though, that your new situation with Don't Starve is rather shitty. What code is it asking you for?

It asks for a code to update the game, that's all it says. No mention of this anywhere in the Humble Store.

It gets even better when you google about it and you get answers like "just start the game and within the menu's you'll find the code", which is just retarded beyond words and also not true, or perhaps it is true and thats just another version, I don't know. But there are other answers (official ones from the developers site) that say you have to get the code through steam, great, its DRM-FREE but you are still required to use steam to update it. Marvelous.

I'm a little bit concerned that this will mean less exciting Humble Bundles in the future. Why sell whole packs of games for ridiculously low prices as dictated by the buyer when you can still offer those games for still very good discounts and make more money?

Valderis:

I've just bought both Orcs must die 2 and Natural Selection 2 but I can't play them at all, I can't even download them, I can't do a damn thing because these games aren't actually available. You NEED a steam account and download/play them with Steam.

I don't have nor want anything to do with Steam, so I wasted my money with this shit.

really? all humble bundles i ever bought have explicitly, multiple times told me that they are available via steam only. in fact, they are the reason i decided to give steam a second chance. That sounds like a huge thing to miss.

CriticalMiss:

octafish:

It's not just the percentage either, it's being split between five charities rather than the usual two, so each one is getting less. I wouldn't mind the 10% as much if you got to choose which charity it goes to or splitting it between a couple of your choice.

I'd prefer a split of 50% devs, 25% charity and 25% Humble (if they insist on taking that much). Usually I go 50/50 between the devs and the charities so I suppose they wanted to ensure people didn't do that any more.

I competely agree. i usually would leave 0.5 dollar to humble, give something like 25% for devs and then give everything else to EFF if possible. I like to pick what charities i want to support.

Valderis:

Nope, that's not the same. Those Icons are only there to show you on what platform they can be played.

All the games there have a steam icon, that's because you can unlock them on your steam account if you want to, but that doesn't mean that they will force you to. Just because a game doesn't have a DRM-free icon doesn't mean that it MUST be unlocked via steam, it just means that it has some form of DRM in it, which could just be that you have to enter in a key during installation or on your first start-up.

Another problem is that its not stated anywhere what these icons actually mean. And that these icons don't have the same meaning in all sections of their site.

Nope, there are more icons that platforms. There is a drm free icon. self explanatory. there is steam icon - means the game goes via steam. if there is no other icon but steam icon, its obvious that this game is only available through steam.

Valderis:

The Steam icon mean that steam is an option. DRM free icon means that no DRM is an option. if a game has only steam icon, that means thats the only option.

Snacuum:
I'm a little bit concerned that this will mean less exciting Humble Bundles in the future. Why sell whole packs of games for ridiculously low prices as dictated by the buyer when you can still offer those games for still very good discounts and make more money?

True this is concerminig, but lets be honest they already were almost gifting us games unless you specifically chose to donate 100 dollars, in which case you can afford this model as well. You know what they say about gifted horses...

I'm going to agree with Valderis here. There have previously been games in Humble Bundles that allow you to install on windows without steam but still with DRM. They should have a "steam only" note on them.

As was said above, it does worry me that this will mean less bundles and less exciting things in the bundles that do exist. Bundles have been awesome at discovering new games so far.

EDIT: Come to think of it I'm sure on previous bundles they have had "only available on steam" notes below certain games.

CriticalMiss:

They are still doing the humble bundles.
The store is just another option on top of that.

If you know of other trusted sites that do the same thing as this regularly I'd love to hear it. humblebundle has gradually become my favorite gaming service over GoG/Steam and Origin. If there are other places that do this sort of charity drive with great gaming bargins I'm all for it.

Valderis:
!!!BUYER BEWARE!!!
==================
I would like to give a warning about this store.

It doesn't tell you if you can actually access the games you buy through the Humble Store.

This is a HUGE problem if you are one of those anti-DRM, anti-Steam bastards like myself.

The real problem is with the Humble Store not telling me about this at all. Steam is never once mentioned as a requirement to download/play these game. I've looked beforehand because I'm always afraid of this kind of bullshit and now it finally happened.

---
Currently I have no idea if I can even get my money back, the Humble Store is flooded with emails at the moment and it'll be days before I get a response. What is worse is that this store doesn't seem to provide any information on the purchases you've made, what I mean is that other online stores always have a page where you can look at the ID info and such of the orders you've bought with them. The Humble Store doesn't have this, so its only through other sites like paypal that I figured out my order ID which I apparently need when talking with the Humble Store guys.

Right now its kind of a fucking mess.
==================
!!!BUYER BEWARE!!!

The humble bundle has been a steam centerpiece for years.

How could you not know? In fact, the policy change with the steam account was common knowledge and passed around for weeks. The humble bundle is synonymous with steam and has been up front with it for the longest time.

Valderis:

Just out of curiosity: If you already refuse to use Steam on the basis that it's DRM (which is what I got from your posts, so apologies in advance if that's not it), why buy games with any form of DRM at all?

GodzillaGuy92:
Just out of curiosity: If you already refuse to use Steam on the basis that it's DRM (which is what I got from your posts, so apologies in advance if that's not it), why buy games with any form of DRM at all?

Generally I don't buy any game that comes with any DRM. But every once in a while there's an exception because its either not clear what you're getting, or they outright lie about it, or its just plain cheap enough and you're willing to put up with it for once. But yeah, generally I don't buy anything with DRM, which means I don't have a lot of options, which is why shit like this pisses me off so much, its was one of the sites that regularly offered DRM-FREE content. This new store on their site doesn't do a good enough job of telling you what you are buying, this isn't just limited to DRM and Steam stuff, it's also not clear on other requirements for the games such as certain software requirements for Linux games. It's something that they have done successfully in the other parts of their site (like the Humble Bundles) where this kind of information can be found.

Ultratwinkie:

How could you not know? In fact, the policy change with the steam account was common knowledge and passed around for weeks. The humble bundle is synonymous with steam and has been up front with it for the longest time.

I own many Humble Bundles and not a single one of them forces the use of Steam.

The games in the bundles simply allow you to add them to your Steam account by use of a key, if you want to. It's never a requirement.

That's the difference, thats what that Steam icon means.

The recent change in policy regarding Steam only affects how the key's you get with your Humble Bundle games are redeemed. That's all.

Can you at least provide a link with information on this policy change you speak of?

Valderis:

Ultratwinkie:

I own many Humble Bundles and not a single one of them forces the use of Steam.

The games in the bundles simply allow you to add them to your Steam account by use of a key, if you want to. It's never a requirement.

That's the difference, thats what that Steam icon means.

The recent change in policy regarding Steam only affects how the key's you get with your Humble Bundle games are redeemed. That's all.

Can you at least provide a link with information on this policy change you speak of?

At 5:27.

No more keys. They are cracking down on scammers and opportunists by tying it to the account. These people are also the reason they are going to only get closer to steam. Too many scammers.

Humble Bundle has been close to steam for the longest time, and only gets closer.

Ultratwinkie:

No more keys. They are cracking down on scammers and opportunists by tying it to the account. These people are also the reason they are going to only get closer to steam. Too many scammers.

Humble Bundle has been close to steam for the longest time, and only gets closer.

Like I said, it just changes how the keys you would normally get are used, nothing more.

This shows no sign of steam being a requirement to play the games you bought in the Humble Bundle/Store. Which is currently the case for some of the games in the store, but they don't tell you this up front.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here