NCAA Sues EA For Settling With Football Players

NCAA Sues EA For Settling With Football Players

NCAA Football 14

The NCAA attempts to pin the blame on EA for the collegiate licensing lawsuit.

The long-running legal battles between college athletes and various licensees came to a partial close a few months back. EA and the Collegiate Licensing Company reached an agreement with a group of student athletes regarding the use of their likeness, while the NCAA stood its ground. But eventually it gave in and everyone gathered for a group hug. Just kidding! Instead, the NCAA is throwing a flag on the field and suing both EA and the CLC and attempting to stop the settlement from taking place.

According to the lawsuit filing, the NCAA claims that EA didn't have liability insurance sufficient to handle "pending third-party claims, including for attorneys' fees that the NCAA has already incurred in defending against those claims." Such technicality would be a violation of its contract. Thus, it's suing the CLC for not insuring that EA met this contractual obligation before completing the deal.

As a result, the NCAA is proposing that the settlement should be halted and EA required to cover the NCAA for any future video game related liability. Meanwhile, the CLC says that it's simply "caught in the middle of a dispute between NCAA and EA which should not involve us."

For those just tuning in, our story starts years ago when a group of college athletes decided they wanted in on all the money organizations like the NCAA made off their exploits. One thing lead to another and eventually EA announced that it was putting future iterations of NCAA Football on hold until things could be sorted out. I have a feeling "just when you thought it was over..." will become the catchphrase of this whole debacle.

Source: USA Today

So is it safe to call this a clusterfuck now?

Jesus...

Seriously, the NCAA seems to be reaching a Bond villain level of evil.

Student athletes finally begin fighting back against the system that makes millions of dollars off of the hard work, sacrifice, and risk that they put themselves through and somehow it's EA's fault that these kids finally decided that enough was enough?

Unless I'm just plain misunderstanding what's going on (NCAA sues EA because EA has the audacity to settle with this alumni student athlete group), this is one messed up move by the NCAA...

it seem like defending ea isn't a bad thing that will get people on your case this time

Could the college athletes band together and file a class action lawsuit against the NCAA or something?

Also, as a non-American, who and/or what are the NCAA?

Makes a guy wish he had four arms - this is a double double facepalm moment.

Neta:
Could the college athletes band together and file a class action lawsuit against the NCAA or something?

National Collegiate Athletic Association. Basically, the NFL/NBA/NHL for College sports, except all together. There are 3 divisions, with the 1st being top tier and the 3 being low tier in terms of competitiveness. These guys basically have college athletes on a leash.

Neta:

Just pulling it out of my ass as a Canadian and going with "National Collegial Atheltics Association" That or "Non-Criminal Asshatery Association"

OT: The South Park episode really gave me quite a laugh, painting everyone as the bad guy(Which at the time they were.) But for once, I actually find myself rooting for EA on this one...I think I have the taste of brimstone in my mouth now. Oh, hey, here comes the apocalypse, right on schedule.

I'd have to side entirely with the students and alumni on this one. The main reason companies are able to get away with situations like these is because of a messed up legal system and a deranged notion that everyone in every sector must "pay their dues" in some obscure way that usually means "Legal Slavery"

Neta:

That's actually what caused this whole thing in the first place!

In other words, they want a cut on the deal.

Can we just say everyone was the asshole here and let it be?

Although technically it is illegal for college players to get paid for playing or to accept paid endorsements... So while the NCAA are scumbags for getting all the money they and EA technically did nothing wrong because the NCAA holds all the rights and money grubbing authority. Just sayin.

Oh, those wacky EA executives! Let's see what sort of trouble they get into now!

Reed Spacer:
Makes a guy wish he had four arms - this is a double double facepalm moment.

How's this?

Reed Spacer:
So is it safe to call this a clusterfuck now?

Ironically, it's less like college sports and more like pro wrestling now. Any minute, THQ is going to make a surprise return and hit the NCAA with a steel chair.

tippy2k2:
Jesus...

We at SPECTRE seriously disagree with your statement as we are nowhere near as evil as the NCAA. For starters, we pay our employees handsome salary and benefits packages to insure their loyalty, including health insurance for our US employees, long-term care insurance, and universal death benefits for those injured on the job due to interference of saboteurs. We value our employees and only engage in discipline when normal reflection and analysis of failures appears insufficient. Comparisons to the NCAA are completely unwarranted and are a slander to our good name and corporate image.

The NCAA is a non-profit, it doesn't have the money in the bank to settle or lose these lawsuit without seriously hurting its funded programs. People are going to lose their scholarships, non-profit sports are going to lose funding, it just going to be a bigger mess.

The Gentleman:

tippy2k2:
Jesus...

We at SPECTRE seriously disagree with your statement as we are nowhere near as evil as the NCAA. For starters, we pay our employees handsome salary and benefits packages to insure their loyalty, including health insurance for our US employees, long-term care insurance, and universal death benefits for those injured on the job due to interference of saboteurs. We value our employees and only engage in discipline when normal reflection and analysis of failures appears insufficient. Comparisons to the NCAA are completely unwarranted and are a slander to our good name and corporate image.

I apologize to all the good people at SPECTRE. After reading this information, I realize that I am being far too harsh on your organization. Even if you wish to take over the world by any means necessary, you put much more pride in your work and pay your people (well...the ones that survive the laser shark tank of course) reasonable wages to live off of.

Also, you win at the internet for your comment. Been a while since I've had someone get me to chuckle out loud from a forum post. Good show!

Baldr:
The NCAA is a non-profit, it doesn't have the money in the bank to settle or lose these lawsuit without seriously hurting its funded programs. People are going to lose their scholarships, non-profit sports are going to lose funding, it just going to be a bigger mess.

This is partly true. The NCAA as an entity exists as a sort of collective bargaining tool for College Athletics. It sets rules and standards that unify different conferences for the single purpose of improving revenue for it's member institutions. So while it is non-profit, it applies it's leverage to create profit for it's member institutions through collective bargaining. NCAA should not be equated to something like the American Red Cross or other non-profits that really are about something else.

The fact is that a star player's jersey, for example AJ Green when he was at UGA, was selling for $60 - $80. The brisk sales of that jersey were based on his outstanding athletic performance. He never sees a dime of that because the NCAA acts as the central owner of all school apparel rights. In the mean time, he sells one of his jerseys to somebody and gets a suspension for violating NCAA rules. See why people pile on the NCAA?

It's odd that EA doesn't seem to be the bad guy here, but we are talking about American sports organizations. Having access to money always makes people dicks and sports-ball is no exception.

Meanwhile, everyone else in the world doesn't care.

just when I think FIFA has finally grabbed hold of the tile of "Most Corrupt Sporting Organization" for their dealings in Qatar, the NCAA comes out once again to dick around college athletes in an attempt to maintain the crumbling facade of "amateur athletics" that hasn't existed since the 1920s in major colleges. Just pay the damn kids already, they're the only ones not making money off themselves.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.