PlayStation Network Struggles After European PlayStation 4 Launch

PlayStation Network Struggles After European PlayStation 4 Launch

PSN Outage - Main

The PlayStation 4's European launch is causing network issues all over the world.

The PlayStation 4 landed on European shores today, which means that the PlayStation Network is undergoing some serious gridlock. Unfortunately, this is translating into connection issues and network outages all over the world.

Sony has confirmed the problem on its Knowledge Center, but we're not quite sure when to expect a solution. "Due to high volume on PSN," the message reads, "some users may experience network latency. We are aware of the issue and working to resolve it as quickly as possible. We are sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience."

Yesterday, Sony's European Blog Manager, Fred Dutton, announced that the developer would be temporarily disabling some PSN features in order to streamline data transmission during the launch. "We want to make sure that your online experience is positive," he said. "To help ensure that this happens, we have made the decision to switch off a couple of features for European customers on day one. These features will then be switched back on a few days later, once the intensity of launch day calms down."

Sadly, PlayStation owners are still experiencing problems. However, once the majority of Europe's newly minted PlayStation 4 owners have downloaded the day-one patch, things should calm down. For the record, though, the PlayStation Network will probably be fairly unreliable throughout the holidays.

Source: PlayStation Knowledge Center

And... this is why Sony set up a staggered release schedule. NA two weeks ago, EU now, SE Asia in December, and Japan finally in February.

This should pretty much be expected every time a launch happens, especially the one in Japan.

I couldn't sign into PSN for a while, but I managed to get the 1.51 update without a hitch. I expected and now it seems ok, a little slow but ok.

What I'm interested in seeing is sales stats compared to the Xbone - I'm not a fanboy or anything but even I know that MS have been completely steamrolled - and to see how well the PS4 has fared with the European release today.

Really? Not had a problem all day, its been running pretty well for me. Even with the sustained 20 hours this machines been on........I fear it may melt soon :S

Heh well as long it improves no one can really moan, tbh sony were always going to have a bit of a bumpy ride with it now pushing online more so thna ever and also being the bigger selling gaming box this time around.

And didn't I know it. Trying to use psn was a complete mare this morning trying to set up the new system. Not surprised in the slightest though. The midnight launch I went to was insane.

AndrewC:
What I'm interested in seeing is sales stats compared to the Xbone - I'm not a fanboy or anything but even I know that MS have been completely steamrolled - and to see how well the PS4 has fared with the European release today.

That kind of goes without saying considering that the One hasnt launched in as many EU regions as the PS4 has.

What would be better to see is how the sales compare in regions where both consoles launched. For example, the UK.

So this probably bodes well for their sales targets? Any bets on another million in 24 hours?

CriticalMiss:
So this probably bodes well for their sales targets? Any bets on another million in 24 hours?

I think it's probably a little less than a million units. I'm guessing somewhere between 600,000 and 750,000 to be quite honest. Although if it were another million in 24 hours then that'd be extremely impressive still.

CriticalMiss:

Well, I live in Holland, and apparently every shipment from now to febuary is sold out.

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.

It's probably gonna be a long ass time before I can finally get my hands on one.

CriticalMiss:

Utterly sold out in Denmark and they are getting ripped off the shelves in Germany.

Like many people here I'm actually more curious about sales numbers...

Not entirely sure why. I'm not a fanboy or anything, its just interesting to see numbers and business and stuff I guess. xD

Simalacrum:

Not entirely sure why. I'm not a fanboy or anything, its just interesting to see numbers and business and stuff I guess. xD

Personally I think that the amount of units that these consoles, mainly the Xbox One and PS4, are selling in such a short time is very indicative that the global economy actually has improved a lot when compared to how it was back in 2006-2007. Well at least that's what I think at least.

I have to say, I'm disappointed Sony didn't improve their servers even when charging for PS+ now. Maybe they really didn't expect that many units sold, but still.

I think everybody expected that there would be issues close to launch - hopefully they won't be around too long though even if I am probably only going to get a ps4 a few years down the line.

Casual Shinji:
Well, I live in Holland, and apparently every shipment from now to febuary is sold out.

So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised.

It's probably gonna be a long ass time before I can finally get my hands on one.

Well there are large parts of Europe such as the Netherlands where Sony essentially has no competition what with the Xbone not launching in most of it, so I am not surprised it is selling well either. I think it will be more interesting to see what the sales are like in the UK since we were pretty much the only country in Europe who really brought a lot of Xboxes compared to the ps3 last gen. If it turns out that the PS4 is vastly outselling the Xbone over here in the UK I think it will be a good indicator of how things are panning out.

I got my PS4 on México's launch this 29th and all is great with the console :D been on PSN all day and luckily zero problems, update 1.51 installed fairly quickly, Resogun +/- but Contrast (2342 MB) and Warframe (4192 MB) are kinda slowish, they are the heaviest tho'... so far I could see in stores, almost everywhere (Sam's and Waltmart have some stock) the PS4 console is sold out (also the camera) with waiting list for two weeks or so...

Just cancelled my GT6 order, simple reason, I refuse to give Sony a single penny of cash. If I am forced to us PSN to do even the most basic fundamental operations online, if I am forced to use PSN even though the game I am playing has fuck all to do with Sony and the servers are being hosted by someone else then Sony should ensure that PSN works, plain and simple.

I didn't buy a PS4 because despite the launch title line up looking like total and utter wank I have no interest in jumping through the a typical week one hoops of mega corporation not providing the infrastructure to back up user demand. So the fact that my PS3 has been having issues over the last few days trying to log on to PSN has pissed me off no end. I am actually amazed by the fact that Sony have the cheek to expect people using PS4s to actually PAY for this joke of a service (and it is a joke, has always been a joke and will more than likely always will be a joke.)

To round it off, Sony's info page asks for us to be patient, well sorry Sony but FUCK and YOU, if I am forced to use your joke of a service to play on line then the bare minimum you should do is make sure that people can log in and stay fucking logged in. I just hope Sony are patient cause they are going to have one hell of a long wait before they see any of my cash in the future.

They should've released the console with a special "Bunduru" to compensate.

I would of thought this would be expected...with the amount of people logging in and using PSN it's obviously going to have some problems.

Hopefully it will be sorted by the time mine arrives! xD

Laughing Man:
Sony should ensure that PSN works, plain and simple.

Why? You want services,no, you demand services, and then claim you shouldnt pay for them.

Neronium:

Simalacrum:

Personally I think that the amount of units that these consoles, mainly the Xbox One and PS4, are selling in such a short time is very indicative that the global economy actually has improved a lot when compared to how it was back in 2006-2007. Well at least that's what I think at least.

Althouh i do think its improving, people tend to buy these things with their hart instead their head.
People sometimes have strange prioreties when it comes about money.

But this also shows the expertise of both companys.
MS, is a software developer and hase a sold network, but has a bulky console(agian with the power brick) with some hardware issues . (in the past any way)
Sony, is an elecronics manufacteure and hase a small(er) console with less issues, but PSN hase had its problems in the past.(and pressent)

Now i think of it, just like last-gen realy.

Why? You want services,no, you demand services, and then claim you shouldnt pay for them.

No actually I don't want ANY of the services that Sony offers, I have no interest in keeping track of my friends stats, I have no interest in knowing how many hours and what achievements I have gained. I want to start my game, log in to the server provided by the game company and then register with THEIR service to play THEIR game. For example Rockstar's GTA, Rockstar's server using Rockstar's Social Club yet Sony FORCE me to log in to PSN, their tracking service, before I can do ANYTHING online.

So NO I don't demand their service, I never asked for their service, they are forcing it on me and if I am forced to use it to access the internet, which by the way I already pay my ISP to do, then they better make sure that they provide the service.

Really? I didn't notice, too busy TLoU...
Apparently I found out about the PSN outage in 2011 5 months after it was fixed...
And all that time I never noticed, I was too busy playing Infamous, Uncharted 2 and Crack in Time during the outage...
So singleplayer FTW.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here