Pledge Your Allegiance to Guild Wars 2 and Win a Free Copy of the Game

Pledge Your Allegiance to Guild Wars 2 and Win a Free Copy of the Game

If you're willing to recite an ominous oath on camera, you could win a copy of Guild Wars 2.

The folks at NCSoft and ArenaNet are really getting into the holiday spirit. Right now, the companies are giving away 5000 copies of Guild Wars 2, but you must be willing to pledge your allegiance to the world of Tyria.

To enter, contestants will need to create a video of themselves reciting the following oath:

I, [name], renounce [adjective] games and pledge my allegiance to Guild Wars 2. I likewise declare my freedom from [adjective] subscription fees! That I turn my back forever on [noun] which is/are totally [adjective]. That I will take up arms to defend the [noun] and crush evil with my [noun]. I take this oath to Guild Wars 2 freely, without [noun] because I am [adjective].

It all sounds very official, but I get the feeling that it won't hold up in court. Though, I'm not a lawyer who specializes in MMO law.

For those of you might not be comfortable with the oath, NCSoft has slashed the price on the Deluxe and Heroic editions of Guild Wars 2 (40% off). But the sale and the contest will both end on December 3rd at 11:59 PST. So, either way, you don't have a lot of time.

Source: The Great MMO Migration

Guild Wars 2 is, what? 20 bucks now? If I was interested in an MMO I think I'd keep my dignity and just pony up a couple Jacksons.

As much as I loved the original series ... I immediately bought Guild Wars 2.
Yet for some reason I did not play it that much.

It was probably due to a mix of large patches and Australia's shitty internet. :/

yeah .. no .. it's not 'bad' but it's not exactly held my attention very well, now, Warframe on the other hand ...

So this is like a Mad Libs thing? I demand that one of the nouns be "kumquat"!

Not sure who'd go for it, though. Odds are, if you had any interest in GW2, you'd have the game by now.

Didn't this site already report on this?

This same thing was reported back on the 27th.

Was it necessary to report it twice? O_o

This was a game I really really wanted for months. Then I got it as a gift, installed it, played it for about 15 minutes, really enjoyed myself, and never touched it again because I started playing Final Fantasy Tactics for like the 100th time.

eh, unless they GUARANTEE that prize, i doubt it'll mean much

This is a good game. I love that I can just kind of engage it when I want to and never feel far behind. It's kind of the perfect MMO for RPG fans like myself who don't have many hours in a day to devote to gaming, but don't necessarily like to spend all of their free gaming time on various battlefields or heeding various calls to duty.

I already took part in the Great MMO Migration. I migrated the hell away from GW2 as soon as I reached level cap and had nothing to do but grind for prettier dresses, which was fun until I got all the pretty dresses in a few weeks.

If they could have made that more Mad-Libs this could have been funnier, but in all honesty why would I pledge myself to a game I've never played. Strangely enough I would take it seriously, I do that with pledges and promises, so this whole thing becomes very awkward.

VanQ:
I already took part in the Great MMO Migration. I migrated the hell away from GW2 as soon as I reached level cap and had nothing to do but grind for prettier dresses, which was fun until I got all the pretty dresses in a few weeks.

Meaning no offense, but a person that races through a MMO to either get into the grind cycle or just as bad, hit the level caps, is like a child that chews hard candy rather than sucks hard candy; it just seems to miss the point. Far be it for me to tell anyone how to enjoy a game, but I feel like this is how people get burned out. That's what i liked about the first Guild Wars, not about grinding really, the low level cap and the way you could set your builds made it more about planning, play, and skills than better gear and leveling. For some reason that last part of what I wrote feels redundant.

Icehearted:
If they could have made that more Mad-Libs this could have been funnier, but in all honesty why would I pledge myself to a game I've never played. Strangely enough I would take it seriously, I do that with pledges and promises, so this whole thing becomes very awkward.

VanQ:

Meaning no offense, but a person that races through a MMO to either get into the grind cycle or just as bad, hit the level caps, is like a child that chews hard candy rather than sucks hard candy; it just seems to miss the point. Far be it for me to tell anyone how to enjoy a game, but I feel like this is how people get burned out. That's what i liked about the first Guild Wars, not about grinding really, the low level cap and the way you could set your builds made it more about planning, play, and skills than better gear and leveling. For some reason that last part of what I wrote feels redundant.

No offense taken, but some gamers just like to game hard and fast. There's no more validity in the claim that racing through content is missing than point than claiming that taking your time is missing the point. Different playstyles appeal to different people. I like to see lots of content and stay ahead of the curve.

I don't mean to derail this into a GW2 bashing thread, I see the appeal the game has for some people, so I'll spoiler the rest of my post. I decided to spoiler it after having typed it out already, since I feel like it would be a waste to just delete it all now.

I don't mean to bash the game, I don't think GW2 is bad. It's just not my kinda game.

You could win a copy of the game if you do a commercial for them... key word "could".

So why bother

That's my "glass half empty" remark for the night.

VanQ:

Icehearted:

VanQ:

No offense taken, but some gamers just like to game hard and fast. There's no more validity in the claim that racing through content is missing than point than claiming that taking your time is missing the point. Different playstyles appeal to different people. I like to see lots of content and stay ahead of the curve.

I don't mean to derail this into a GW2 bashing thread, I see the appeal the game has for some people, so I'll spoiler the rest of my post. I decided to spoiler it after having typed it out already, since I feel like it would be a waste to just delete it all now.

I don't mean to bash the game, I don't think GW2 is bad. It's just not my kinda game.

I'm siding with IceHearted here, or at least I don't think you've made a strong enough case for yourself, VanQ.

You capped your ele, but what builds did you use? Where was WvW or PvP[1] in your evaluation? What OTHER professions did you use? You apparently haven't licked the candy, or savored the flavor.

To shove words in your mouth make an amendment, you've played hard and fast in WoW style through Guild Wars 2. All of your achievements are efforts a WoW player makes to get to raids (which is just another grind for epic gear; I'm missing your disconnect here). Funny thing about that, you had a methodology to follow and ran into a dead end because of it, instead of reading the intentions of the game.

But this is all assuming that you like or even played WoW in the first place. Rather, I think this is the general mindset of people looking for an 'MMORPG' (or at least, the base who will bring in the coin). Guild Wars 2 seems to be facing a case of 'WoW-tinted eyeglass syndrome', and it's a bit of a shame for it, too. Especially when the people who have lost interest don't even realize it.

Then again, case in point here; ArenaNet continues to market towards them, so...-shrug-?

[1] Arguably the basis of Guild Wars games, though it's currently understandable if you've ignored them

Ipsen:

I'm siding with IceHearted here, or at least I don't think you've made a strong enough case for yourself, VanQ.

You capped your ele, but what builds did you use? Where was WvW or PvP in your evaluation? What OTHER professions did you use? You apparently haven't licked the candy, or savored the flavor.

To shove words in your mouth make an amendment, you've played hard and fast in WoW style through Guild Wars 2. All of your achievements are efforts a WoW player makes to get to raids (which is just another grind for epic gear; I'm missing your disconnect here). Funny thing about that, you had a methodology to follow and ran into a dead end because of it, instead of reading the intentions of the game.

But this is all assuming that you like or even played WoW in the first place. Rather, I think this is the general mindset of people looking for an 'MMORPG' (or at least, the base who will bring in the coin). Guild Wars 2 seems to be facing a case of 'WoW-tinted eyeglass syndrome', and it's a bit of a shame for it, too. Especially when the people who have lost interest don't even realize it.

Then again, case in point here; ArenaNet continues to market towards them, so...-shrug-?

Well, I guess since you asked.

I hope I've made enough of a case now. Man this post ended up long. Maybe I should practice to be a reviewer, I can get quite wordy with my posts. Just don't get me started on the barren waste of potential that was the cash/gem shop. I checked for week after week and nothing of value ever dropped in there, if they ever bothered to add something at all. Don't make a cash shop if you don't intend to populate it, damn it!

Nurb:
You could win a copy of the game if you do a commercial for them... key word "could".

So why bother

That's my "glass half empty" remark for the night.

Because most people will think the same way, meaning there will be less than 5000 entries and you're a shoe in!

VanQ:

Well, I guess since you asked.

I hope I've made enough of a case now. Man this post ended up long. Maybe I should practice to be a reviewer, I can get quite wordy with my posts. Just don't get me started on the barren waste of potential that was the cash/gem shop. I checked for week after week and nothing of value ever dropped in there, if they ever bothered to add something at all. Don't make a cash shop if you don't intend to populate it, damn it!

Case made.

As for myself, I can't consider myself versed in MMORPG's, but I am familiar with their playstyles, my first being (and continue to to this day) Nexus: The Kingdom of the Winds, which was released in NA around the time UO came out. Most likely personal, but after Nexus, I had no need for such deliberately slow PvE progression through questing and mob grinding, or skill organization through hotkey binding; all of which extends to WoW, which only perpetuated this style for years to come.

Then came Guild Wars, which was a PVP-centered game with light MMORPG elements. The people were there (and you needed them; just try to solo without a specialized build!) but the level cap was low, the story was light, and there were limits on skills; you had to build your utility from 8 skill slots. Such tight game design had me playing for 6+ years.

I still believe Guild Wars 2 has these elements, but it's floundering with them. Level cap may be 80, but besides the fact that the cap is hardly necessary for most challenges, or PvP/WvW, it only amounts to fluff; it's simply a progression meter. I also don't mind the PvE focus, but it's never been Anet's strong point. PvP needs serious work, since (I'll claim) it forms the backbone of their games. But I believe the pieces are still there; even just a UI update or objectives for small groups (which would tie in GW1's spirit) would be a huge step in the right direction.

Really, I think time is a factor in all of this, as well. I'm not sure when in it's lifetime you considered WoW to be as excellent as you do, or if the expansions had anything to do with that assesment, but the fact is, as large a game as it is, it took 2 years for the first established expansion and large-scale adjustment to arrive for WoW. Guild Wars 2 is late at this point for precedence (1 year between its expansions for GW1), but I have faith that those will come in time, too.

Guild Wars tends to need its expansions too; if Prophecies' buggy start said anything, it's that there are a TON of improvements in later installments.

PS: 'Guild Wars' is a term from the lore of the game, but long story short (and awfully butchered), it involves various cities/states warring against each other, some falling apart, then coming together to fight a common cause. That notion extends to Guild Wars 2 a bit through the various races.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here