See Germans Go Insane Over PS4 Launch

Pages 1 2 NEXT

See Germans Go Insane Over PS4 Launch

My German retail friends: maybe putting the PS4s up at the top of the stairs was a bad idea.

They say it sounds better in French, but the German narrator of this Media Markt PS4 launch video is oddly soothing. It's like the beginning of a Brothers Grimm story, just before the cannibal witches show up and start baking children. The PS4 launched slightly later in Europe than in North America, and as you can see the PS4 has one or two fans desperate to get their hands on the latest gear.

Kudos to the silver-haired grandfather who managed to get to the escalator at about 1.24; it was beginning to look like that point in the nature video where the gazelle meets the lions for the last time. Speaking as someone who worked in retail, given the choice I'm not sure I'd have put my PS4 supply at the top of any stairs. It just seems like a decision tinged with potential tragedy.

Media Markt is one of the largest electronic goods retail chains in Europe, and is the second largest in the world, after Best Buy. It has as its slogan Ich bin doch nicht blöd, which translates as I am not stupid. No, definitely not; manic, possibly, but not stupid, no sir!

Source: Majin Dub YouTube

It's like watching a horde of zombies in Left 4 Dead! If I saw that coming at me from under the doors as a staff member I think I'd be cracking out the Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit just in case.

We Germans are crazy for PS4 - thats for sure...

It looks fake to be perfectly honest.

Adam Jensen:
It looks fake to be perfectly honest.

It wasn't the only mediamarkt which got raided:
http://imgur.com/a/5tWDK

Some people seem to overvalue the Ps 4 a little bit here

Rather sad to be honest. It's like watching a pack of wolves descend on an injured animal.

What the fuck.
Like, you have the ps4 and then what?
Hope you enjoy a very mediocre killzone I guess??

It's like people clawing through masses to get an apple computer or the newest version of the i-phone day 1 except that you can actually do something with those right away.
Just, why?

loa:
What the fuck.

eBay? They are selling them for up to 700€ there.

It's a bit like going 'First!' on a comments thread. Afterwards don't you feel a little embarrassed to wonder why it mattered?

And of course the irony is that the early adopters are much more likely to end up with faulty goods and lengthy waits for firmware updates.

Still, I guess without them the rest of us wouldn't get new things at all.

Entitled:
Stupid greedy Americans and their Black Fridays.

Please, for the sake of my dwindling faith in humanity, tell me you were being ironic or something, as this was very clearly in Germany.

Mein Gott! This is preposterous, you know it's not like ps4 won't available next month or something. You can still buy it when the next shipment arrives :P

Flatfrog:

And of course the irony is that the early adopters are much more likely to end up with faulty goods and lengthy waits for firmware updates.

This is always the secret battle in my head. Buying a console earlier is almost always a mistake (except with US PS3's). It's at it's most expensive, with the least games, an uncertain future and most likely to break down.

...but the more people who do it the better it is for the people who don't =D And someone's got to buy one first right? :P

Should have had some guys up on a podium doing a live death-metal performance. This would have made a perfect music video.

I think it's safe to say that after this EU launch, Sony will beat out the 1 million units mark that Xbox got in 24hrs.

BrotherRool:

Flatfrog:

This is always the secret battle in my head. Buying a console earlier is almost always a mistake (except with US PS3's). It's at it's most expensive, with the least games, an uncertain future and most likely to break down.

...but the more people who do it the better it is for the people who don't =D And someone's got to buy one first right? :P

It sounds like a relative of the Prisoner's Dilemma. If there isn't already a name for it, I dub it the Sucker's Dilemma:

1) Being an early adopter makes you a sucker because you get a bad deal
2) The more suckers there are, the better it is for late adopters, because it encourages investment in the product

I guess the building of 'buzz', as well as pre-order deals etc are all ways for publishers and console developers to overcome this logic.

He says: "Just a normal november the 29th in the year 2013. Adults are at work, children in the school and the old are feeding ducks. But some, just wanna do something different today."

And in the end: "As you can see, just a normal november the 29th in the year 2013."

Just to clarify, Media Markt and Saturn are both retailers and belong to the same group. Probably you mean that they together are the largest electronic retailer in europe. They try to establish a competition against each other but are the same. So they wanna fool the customers that they had choice where to buy.

Obviously the next generation consoles are mainly created for America and Microsoft would have had little benefit from making sure all their glorious TV-Features work in Europe.

idarkphoenixi:
Should have had some guys up on a podium doing a live death-metal performance. This would have made a perfect music video.

I think it's safe to say that after this EU launch, Sony will beat out the 1 million units mark that Xbox got in 24hrs.

screaming about how capitalism and marketting turns people into animals that will devour each other?

VanQ:
It's like watching a horde of zombies in Left 4 Dead! If I saw that coming at me from under the doors as a staff member I think I'd be cracking out the Zombie Apocalypse Survival Kit just in case.

The metaphor really hit at 2:30 when Killswitch Engage starts playing. When a new console launches, what better soundtrack is there than one that was used for Resident Evil?

Such idiots... though that looks exactly like those black friday videos. I guess it is just human nature -.-

Well wouldn't be the first time we've seen Germans go apeshit over something tawdry and with questionable value. David Hasselhoff springs to mind. ...... as does the Reichstag. ....*SLAPS SELF* NO!! Bad Psychobabble!!

Someone told them it contained an AI chip with a program of a digital David Hasselhoff.

Psychobabble:
Well wouldn't be the first time we've seen Germans go apeshit over something tawdry and with questionable value. David Hasselhoff springs to mind. ...... as does the Reichstag. ....*SLAPS SELF* NO!! Bad Psychobabble!!

Pinky, you were pondering what I was pondering!

james.sponge:
Mein Gott! This is preposterous, you know it's not like ps4 won't available next month or something. You can still buy it when the next shipment arrives :P

Actually these shipments are getting sold out left, right, and center. I don't know how it's like in the rest of Europe, but in Holland anyone who hasn't preordered a PS4 will have to likely wait till february.

who the fuck buys his stuff in media markt?

balberoy:

Just to clarify, Media Markt and Saturn are both retailers and belong to the same group. Probably you mean that they together are the largest electronic retailer in europe. They try to establish a competition against each other but are the same. So they wanna fool the customers that they had choice where to buy.

exactly.

still people buy into that "greed is good" and "i am not stupid" slogans both of them infuse to their audience.

FalloutJack:
Someone told them it contained an AI chip with a program of a digital David Hasselhoff.
!

just NEIN!

he played a vital part in getting the berlin wall down...

FalloutJack:

Psychobabble:

Pinky, you were pondering what I was pondering!

What is it with Germans and David Hasselhoff. Wait, let me rephrase that: What is it with Americans thinking germans love David Hasselhoff?
I am German, yet i don't love David Hasselhoff. I haven't met any Germans that proclaimed there love for David Hasselhoff and i don't know any people that have met Germans that proclaimed their love for David Hasselhoff.
(Just to be save: I don't hate him either, i just don't care about him).

Honestly, David Hasselhoff boils down to the one time when he sang in fornt of the Berlin Wall, "I've been looking for Freedom". He made himself a symbol that way. I don't like his music or his acting. But that is why he is/was very famous in germany.

I wonder, why not order it online? Is there a problem with waiting a few days or a week? Don't these people have any dignity? Like wild animals. This behavior disgusts me.

Ultra consumerism at it's very finest, people are now willing to trample each other for divine the privilege of stuffing corporations with money... I would call it insane but that requires some form of concious thought, no this shit has gone well beyond prehistoric.

loa:
What the fuck.
Hope you enjoy a very mediocre killzone I guess??

It's like people clawing through masses to get an apple computer or the newest version of the i-phone day 1 except that you can actually do something with those right away.
Just, why?

I have to be honest, I think it would be fun if you go there and treat the whole thing like a game/race. The goal of the game would be to arrive as early as possible and then race to the PS4 and then see who rush towards the register as fast as possible. Once your at the cash register though, you just leave and don't buy anything, hahaha.

It's like Black Fiday except for a single item and people are standing to the side laughing instead of worrying about being crushed.

Helmholtz Watson:
I have to be honest, I think it would be fun if you go there and treat the whole thing like a game/race. The goal of the game would be to arrive as early as possible and then race to the PS4 and then see who rush towards the register as fast as possible. Once your at the cash register though, you just leave and don't buy anything, hahaha.

And after that you hand the PS4 to the person who looks the most injured. "You have not suffered for naught, my child." Bonus points if you're dressed as a priest.

I see I'm not the only one who thought of zombies >.<
Of course not, I don't think any comparison would be more fitting. They're consume zombies :p

VanQ:

Gold star you pretty much described the situation perfectly.

Although I'm kind of sad to see some posters taking this funny video seriously. Clearly those people don't give two craps about others opinions on the ps4, they just want to play it. lol

kailus13:

And after that you hand the PS4 to the person who looks the most injured. "You have not suffered for naught, my child." Bonus points if you're dressed as a priest.

Just make sure that you have somehow behind you with an iPod-speaker playing something like this....

Is that an example of a good dubstep remix or a bad one? I honestly can't tell.

Also I would have just put the boxes on a rolling cart and pushed it out the door.

Casual Shinji:

james.sponge:

Actually these shipments are getting sold out left, right, and center. I don't know how it's like in the rest of Europe, but in Holland anyone who hasn't preordered a PS4 will have to likely wait till february.

How about buying it in France (Germany seems to be out of the question at the moment :) )? Most of European countries are in EU so it should be tax free and all - still paying for shipping sucks :/.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here