Your Xbox One Can Be A Dev Kit, Microsoft Says Please Don't Do It

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Your Xbox One Can Be A Dev Kit, Microsoft Says Please Don't Do It

Keep your hands to yourself, unless you have a Sandbox ID, says Microsoft.

Once upon a time, it was said that every Xbox One could be a dev kit, and lo, this turned out to be true. But, says Microsoft, there's a catch. If you fiddle around in there without Microsoft's express permission, you could end up with a damaged console.

The revelation comes courtesy of a YouTube tutorial video from GameTuts' Corbman, who's followed up with a second show with more information. Even Corbman doesn't recommend going forward without the Sandbox ID, which is Microsoft's way of letting you into its world. Without that ID, you risk putting your machine into a boot loop.

"There are many concerns such as privacy, security, stability etc.," said an unnamed Xbox One developer on Reddit, "that need to be sorted out before we can allow anyone and everyone to simply sideload an app onto their box." Microsoft itself has since weighed in with an official statement, advising its customers not to change their new consoles' settings.

"Changing the settings in this menu is only intended for developers for Xbox One, and this alone does not turn the console into a development kit," says Microsoft. "We strongly advise consumers against changing these settings as it could result in their Xbox One becoming unusable. Customers who have put their consoles into this developer setting can revert by restoring factory defaults under Settings / System, select Restore Factory Defaults."

Source: Eurogamer

That's an interesting development. I'll be interested to see what the more creative types can do with this. Maybe they can find a way to get rid of all the bullshit on the Xbox One's dashboard (If it's anything like the 360's dash, I assume it's got more ads and product placement than NASCAR), or the "Kinect is always watching" stuff.

"There are many concerns such as privacy, security, stability etc. that need to be sorted out before we can allow anyone and everyone to simply sideload an app onto their box."

And the chances that Microsoft will address those concerns? As like to zero as to make no nevermind.

Yet another feature that Microsoft failed to deliver. Like working Kinect controls.

Okay, so I guess the question becomes, how expensive is/hard to get is a Sandbox ID? If it's just a buck or two, or even a free download, I don't see too much harm.

Nooners:
Okay, so I guess the question becomes, how expensive is/hard to get is a Sandbox ID? If it's just a buck or two, or even a free download, I don't see too much harm.

Did some quick searching. It doesn't help that most every Microsoft product seems to include a "sandbox" feature or mode.

Anyway, from here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Developers/faq

Q: I am a student and want to learn on a dev kit, how or where do I get one?
A: We currently do not offer dev kits to students or Universities. Dev kits licenses are only offered to professional game development companies that have passed our rigorous qualification process.

I'm sure those options will just vanish in one of the next updates. This sounds just to be too good for people aiming to mod consoles to play pirated games on and/or hobbyists aiming to jailbreak it for tinkering.

MinionJoe:

Nooners:

Did some quick searching. It doesn't help that most every Microsoft product seems to include a "sandbox" feature or mode.

Anyway, from here:

A: We currently do not offer dev kits to students or Universities. Dev kits licenses are only offered to professional game development companies that have passed our rigorous qualification process.

I figured their concern was much less for customers derping around and bricking their systems, and more about securing that proprietary platform they just spent billions developing.

Doesn't bother me either way. I'm never getting one unless professional obligation dictates it (extremely unlikely)
*shrugs*

Atmos Duality:

I figured their concern was much less for customers derping around and bricking their systems, and more about securing that proprietary platform they just spent billions developing.

And that's fair. What isn't fair is marketing said billion-dollar device as being capable of becoming a dev kit when they've no intention of allowing it to be so.

MinionJoe:

Atmos Duality:

And that's fair. What isn't fair is marketing said billion-dollar device as being capable of becoming a dev kit when they've no intention of allowing it to be so.

Pretty much this. They were basically making the whole dev kit thing sound like a huge boon to hobbyists and indies. Turns out it isn't even remotely the case. How many times does Microsoft need to lie and screw over customers before we see it reflected in the sales?

Karloff:
There are many concerns such as privacy

What, why is privacy a concern?
Does this turn on hyper NSA mode or are they still investigating how to best monitor people who do it?
Also this may turn into another "other os" incident and we all know how well that went down for sony.

MinionJoe:

I never contested that, but was just confirming my suspicions.
As for flip-flop advertising, Sony removed Other OS from the PS3 even after advertising it as a feature and they got away with it scot free. (the US Air Force tried, and well, Sony still got their wish)

At this point, I don't trust the console manufacturers to not muck around with the platform to suit their needs; even when it goes against what they initially advertised. At least until someone legally challenges them over it and wins, but I don't see that as being terribly likely.

That's pretty much how consoles work. Even developers with real devkits have to ask Sony and Microsoft from time to time to give them more access to the console, to give them shortcuts and tricks on how to use it to its fullest potential. Game developers don't just figure it out on their own.

DON"T DO IT!. We were planning on selling you more expensive boxes to use as dev kits.

Atmos Duality:

As for flip-flop advertising, Sony removed Other OS from the PS3 even after advertising it as a feature and they got away with it scot free.

And the people that did hack/mod their PS3 got sued by Sony. Don't think because I'm ragging on Microsoft that I give Sony a free pass. ;)

Sony is just as guilty on going back on their word as Microsoft. Even more so since I've not heard of Microsoft suing X-Box owners for making mods to their legally-owned systems. At worst, Microsoft will most likely tell attempted XB1 jailbreakers that they've invalidated their warranty and will need to purchase a new system if it bricks.

Sorry but does that mean xbone is much more modding friendly than ps4? How did that happen?

MinionJoe:

Atmos Duality:

As for flip-flop advertising, Sony removed Other OS from the PS3 even after advertising it as a feature and they got away with it scot free.

And the people that did hack/mod their PS3 got sued by Sony. Don't think because I'm ragging on Microsoft that I give Sony a free pass. ;)

Sony is just as guilty on going back on their word as Microsoft. Even more so since I've not heard of Microsoft suing X-Box owners for making mods to their legally-owned systems. At worst, Microsoft will most likely tell attempted XB1 jailbreakers that they've invalidated their warranty and will need to purchase a new system if it bricks.

Microsoft bans from Xbox Live all kinds of modded consoles... Still better than Sony...
I think im not gonna buy a console this gen until the dust settles... ill check the Steam Box (which is not a console anyway), but besides that i dont trust Sony or MS anymore

james.sponge:
Sorry but does that mean xbone is much more modding friendly than ps4? How did that happen?

Elias Islas Rodriguez:

Microsoft bans from Xbox Live all kinds of modded consoles... Still better than Sony...

Well, revocation of service is a bit better than having legal action taken against you. :)

Definitely waiting to see how the dust settles on all this too. Beyond the (presumably limited) hardware problems with both consoles, both are also reportedly having issues with online services. Can't say any of the currently available games appeal much to me either.

Mcoffey:
That's an interesting development. I'll be interested to see what the more creative types can do with this. Maybe they can find a way to get rid of all the bullshit on the Xbox One's dashboard (If it's anything like the 360's dash, I assume it's got more ads and product placement than NASCAR), or the "Kinect is always watching" stuff.

If Kinect bothers you just unplug it. It's not recording anything unless you tell it to though.

This isn't even a development really, Microsoft has said for a long time that every Xbox One would be a devkit eventually. All this says is that the feature is available right now in an unstable form.

You can't even use a devkit to modify the system OS (which you would need to do to remove adspace or change Kinect's behavior). You could make a whole OS yourself of course, but it's not like developer mode will just let you install it. I'm sure there's someone hard at work getting their console to run "Linux Won" or whatever, but they would have been doing that anyway.

You should try to be more informed in general.

Eldritch Warlord:

Mcoffey:

If Kinect bothers you just unplug it. It's not recording anything unless you tell it to though.

This isn't even a development really, Microsoft has said for a long time that every Xbox One would be a devkit eventually. All this says is that the feature is available right now in an unstable form.

You can't even use a devkit to modify the system OS (which you would need to do to remove adspace or change Kinect's behavior). You could make a whole OS yourself of course, but it's not like developer mode will just let you install it. I'm sure there's someone hard at work getting their console to run "Linux Won" or whatever, but they would have been doing that anyway.

You should try to be more informed in general.

That is a much better UI than the 360s, thanks for showing me and thanks for sneaking in that smug condescension at the last minute! I was worried you were just going to be helpful and not rude, but you managed to defy expectations and pull it off! Good job, you!

"This is a dev kit?"

"Yes...?"

"Imma change it."

"Don't you do it."

"Imma do it!"

"Don't you do it!"

*Fixes bullshit dashboard*

I can see nothing but good things from this.

Elias Islas Rodriguez:
I think im not gonna buy a console this gen until the dust settles... ill check the Steam Box (which is not a console anyway), but besides that i dont trust Sony or MS anymore

If memory serves me right, Sony only ever sued a handful of people, they never went after the casual modders that were stupid enough to go online with their modded console. Even when people go online with their modded consoles they get a notification email asking them to remove unauthorized software from their console before they ban their account or hardware.

This is why i hate 'closed platforms'. If you read your TOS it essentially says that Microsoft still owns your console, everything you put on your console and all your games. This means that if you want to use it like "a supercomputer" (as they advertised *rolls eyes*) you simply won't be able to.

It's our Xbox and your not allowed in without permission!

I'll take an open platform thank you very much. There aren't even any user advantages of having a closed platform anymore :S

MinionJoe:

Nooners:

Anyway, from here:

While that is true, it's only true for now. If you look a bit more, you'll find this:

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/Developers/id:
Our longer term plan is that anyone with a retail Xbox One will be able to develop, publish, and sell their game on Xbox Live.

Also, just from the OP, it seems very clear anyway that they are working on getting every Xbox to be an open dev kit.

Arnoxthe1:

While that is true, it's only true for now. If you look a bit more, you'll find this:

http://www.xbox.com/en-us/Developers/id:
Our longer term plan is that anyone with a retail Xbox One will be able to develop, publish, and sell their game on Xbox Live.

That's a good find! Thanks!

It all depends on what they mean by "longer term", I guess.

As of right now, they're still using the application process (application available at the link) and sending out non-retail dev kits.

Doesn't seem to be any fees involved though.

What I'm really excited for though is the inevitable stream of awesome user-made apps that we'll have. No more of the restricted Xbox player. Hello, VLC.

Just add it to the list of features that micro$oft promised but never delivered on because "Oh its their yeah but you kind of need our permission to use it"

It seems like every announcement micro$oft makes, the more I'm glad I passed on an Xbox One

I feel like Microsoft shouldn't have to tell people not to mess with the Dev options unless they know what they're doing i.e have devkit privileges.
That's just basic common sense.

james.sponge:

not unless you are a professional game developer who passes Microsofts rigorous selection process.

Even then, you are buying a license.

Now, had Microsoft had just said "Screw it, let people see what they can do with this technology", they might of won points.

Instead they said "Hey, your Xbone can become a dev kit, let's see what you can do with this technology!*"

*offer only applies to actual game developers that we choose, fuck you consumers, it's still our console, we tell you what you can and cant do with it

When I see the title thread, it is like putting a sign up saying 'Wet Paint - Do Not Touch". There are going to be so many marks on this freshly painted wall

How about fuck you, Microsoft, people can do what they want with their own property.

This is why i will never buy a console or an apple device,

Nurb:
How about fuck you, Microsoft, people can do what they want with their own property.

We need better laws to stop corporations from doing shit like this.

I remember an article on here about how Microsoft was being fined for not offering more internet browser options on a fresh install of Windows 7, because it was forcing a monopoly on consumers.

Shouldn't there be a law that states that you can not force some one to use a particular OS with a piece of hardware?

Nurb:

This is more like "The paint is wet, don't touch it or else you'll mess up the fence and it'll be a pain to repaint it."

bluegate:

Elias Islas Rodriguez:

If memory serves me right, Sony only ever sued a handful of people, they never went after the casual modders that were stupid enough to go online with their modded console. Even when people go online with their modded consoles they get a notification email asking them to remove unauthorized software from their console before they ban their account or hardware.

the problem is that there courts mad enough following laws mad enough to actually rule in Sonys favor. If i buy a console i can mod it whatever way i see fit.

Arnoxthe1:
What I'm really excited for though is the inevitable stream of awesome user-made apps that we'll have. No more of the restricted Xbox player. Hello, VLC.

And the lawsuits that will follow.

Nurb:

except that multiple court cases prove that no, in fact, you cant do what you want with your property.

gabycms:
Shouldn't there be a law that states that you can not force some one to use a particular OS with a piece of hardware?

There should. but apples loss of control mania alone is enough to make them buy enough politicians to ensure this will never happen. The windows 7 thing is Europe only too.

Evil Smurf:

Nurb:

This is more like "The paint is wet, don't touch it or else you'll mess up the fence and it'll be a pain to repaint it."

More like we sold you this fence but the paint is wet so you wont be able to use it until we decide you can.

Mcoffey:
That's an interesting development.

Pun intended?

MinionJoe:

And the chances that Microsoft will address those concerns? As like to zero as to make no nevermind.

Hell, what are the odds they addressed those for licensed users?

Yet another feature that Microsoft failed to deliver. Like working Kinect controls.

Or almost any advertised feature of the Bone at launch.

gabycms:

I remember an article on here about how Microsoft was being fined for not offering more internet browser potions on a fresh install of Windows 7, because it was forcing a monopoly on consumers.

I'm not picking on you or anything (typos happen), but now I can't shake this image of browsers as potions one might consumer to access the web through sorcery.

You already used the term "monopoly" so I'm assuming you know Microsoft is no stranger to antitrust law.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.