Update: Telltale's Teasing Us With Walking Dead Season 2 Trailer

Update: Telltale's Teasing Us With Walking Dead Season 2 Trailer

Probable Christa sighting, and a whole lot more.

Telltale's The Walking Dead Season Two is so close we can almost taste it, and the developer's been teasing the world with Clementine-themed Vine shorts. But that's not all it's teasing us with: there's a big announcement due later on, and if you don't want to miss it, better start paying attention aroundabout 12pm PST, or 3pm Eastern Standard.

Yeah, I know, the suspense, killing me, and so forth. We know Clementine's the main character this time around, we know that Omid's going to show up, but beyond that, it's all one big zombie-infested mystery. What's that house in the Vine shot? Does it really have electricity? Why's Clem splattered with gore?

Aaaarrrrghllllll ...

This one's due on Steam December 17th, Xbox December 18th, and an unknown date for other platforms.

Source: Telltale Twitter

Update: Trailer added!

Clem, being horrifically traumatised by all the deaths she has seen including that big one at the end of season one (spoilers), turns into a serial killer and you play the game hunting down the remaining survivors, winning their trust with her cute charms and then brutally murdering them one by one? Could explain why she's spattered with gore...

Looking forward to this one immensely. I'm really interested to see how the 400 days group fits into all this. Will they just be bit players in Clementine's story or are they going to be the new main characters? I can't see those people taking orders from Clem like the old group did with Lee.

Also, anyone else just not get Vine? It just seems like a shittier youtube. At first I thought it was just Twitter for cameras, but where twitter is in-the-moment thoughts, you still have to dig out your camera phone, frame, film, edit, and post a video. And youtube can still do all of that. I don't get it.

JoJo:
Clem, being horrifically traumatised by all the deaths she has seen including that big one at the end of season one (spoilers), turns into a serial killer and you play the game hunting down the remaining survivors, winning their trust with her cute charms and then brutally murdering them one by one? Could explain why she's spattered with gore...

An overly elaborate explanation with a humourous twist to a situation with a benign answer - I like you. Just don't wander outside the realms of fiction with this talent, or else the reptilians will devour your brain!

Mcoffey:
Looking forward to this one immensely. I'm really interested to see how the 400 days group fits into all this. Will they just be bit players in Clementine's story or are they going to be the new main characters? I can't see those people taking orders from Clem like the old group did with Lee.

Well Episode 2 takes place three months after the outbreak, and while its uncertain to be sure how long (at least through in game means), Episode 3 seems to only take place a few weeks after Episode 2. Episode 3, 4, and 5 take place over the course of three to five days. So going off of all of that, it seems that the end of Episode 5 is about four months into the outbreak, somewhere around 90 - 120 days. Give it the benefit of the doubt and make it five months, its still roughly an entire year between the end of Episode 5 and the conclusion of 400 Days.

My guess - we'll either see them, or at least signs of them, in each episode, and to see all of them, this season will be stretch along that time of what 400 Days was (259 Days, so eight months), or everything will be happening well over a year after the end of Episode 5. I'm leaning towards the latter, since Clem does look older.

There's a guy who looks identical to Kenny at 0:38 in the trailer.

ERMERGERD I AM SO EXCITED! The feels! The feels will be too much! I don't think I can survive this alone! Quick! Someone hold me!

T^T

Aw man, I'm having flashbacks to the final episode of the previous season because of that one clip they used.

Dem feels man. ;.;

Totally excited for this though, the time to get on the feel train is nigh!

So, people I'm sure I spotted include:

Also, in the shots of Season 1, the ones that are from Episode 3, 4, and 5, she's clearly not wearing the hoodie from the stationwagon, so has that become canonical? More pressing, does that mean a lot of major choices were decided as to whether *this* happened or *that* happened without regard to a player save import? Because thats probably the worst decision they could've made going into Season 2, and it'd certainly create an enormous disconnect. For example, when I played, I:

-Stole from the abandoned stationwagon
-Saved Carley (admittedly they did show either of them, so who knows about that)
-Cut off Lee's arm (in which I was part of a minority of 25%)
-Abandoned Lilly
-Tried to save Larry
-Killed the stranger
-Had Clem shoot Lee

Just to name a few major ones off the top of my head. Those are minor decisions, those are huge decisions, and it'd be jarring for me to see any of them different from what I chose. I mean, I know you can't account for everything, but there's going to be some major disconnect inbound when people go "Wait, I didn't cut off Lee's arm? Why does he have an arm?!", "I had Clem leave Lee, why did she shoot him in my version?" and so on. TTG obviously made the trailer to hide as many of these decisions as possible, just so that the trailer jives with everybody as much as possible, but now I'm left questioning what decisions they made about the game. This isn't a minor quibble, its like if some of the most major decisions in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 got screwed up in import. Whether its significant or not is one thing, and if they never reveal things like who the killed The Stranger, thats fine, but if they show who killed The Stranger, and it was different from who did it in your playthrough, thats really going to take a huge bite out of the experience.

-_-

I wouldn't be so worried about this if TTG just answered my damn tweets to as whether or not they have a save import.

Insane Guy of DOOM:

Additionally:

Honestly though, I doubt it, thats just a tinfoil hat theory. Lets face it, that would be the second most unrealistic thing in the TTG TWD franchise so far, with only, well, the very existence of zombies ahead of it in terms of being "unrealistic".

MarsAtlas:
Snip

From what they have said I am fairly certain if you have a save file from your play through it can load that and your choices will be the ones that you chose on your play though. I may be wrong, but thats how I understood it. Guess we will know for sure next week haha.

Winthrop:

MarsAtlas:
Snip

From what they have said I am fairly certain if you have a save file from your play through it can load that and your choices will be the ones that you chose on your play though. I may be wrong, but thats how I understood it. Guess we will know for sure next week haha.

That would be awesome if it were like that, and they actually have the save imports work this time XD

Insane Guy of DOOM:

I thought so too, went back and paused. I googled images of Kenny... it might be. Red hat, bit of stubble, flared hair.

... Not sure if I'm a sad person for doing that. Kinda hope he doesn't show in Episode 1, though. Unless he's batshit crazy.

Oh Mylanta, Telltale has resorted to reusing dead characters. This must somehow be part of a sinister plan to screw over us poor consumers.

I mean, I clearly saw Kenny get forced off screen while being suspiciously unharmed, he's 100% dead. No doubt about it.

IndomitableSam:
I thought so too, went back and paused. I googled images of Kenny... it might be. Red hat, bit of stubble, flared hair.

... Not sure if I'm a sad person for doing that.

Kinda hope he doesn't show in Episode 1, though. Unless he's batshit crazy.

TTG didn't say which episode, just that he'd make an appearance in Season 2. Hell, they didn't even say that he'd be alive, so who knows. Could be alive, could be walker, or a corpse, or a memory from the Season 1. I'm hoping the latter, and that they use it to actually show a scene with Clem and without Lee.

Hands off mai Clementine >:0

MarsAtlas:
*snip*

First off, you likely should have that list with what you did in the first game as spoilers. Most of it is pretty harmless. But the last one is a major thing, and you never know when someone who hasn't played it might stumble on your comment.

Second, I doubt that the decisions being brought over will be much of an issue. Mostly because most of the decisions didn't really change anything in game. I played through it a second time with a friend, who made quite a few different decisions than I did. And he didn't really have anything different happen. They honestly did an excellent job of making your choices seem important without them actually effecting anything.

Other than some character-model changes and some bits of dialogue, I don't think it'll be a lot more work for Telltale. But I might be wrong about that. They might do it different in season two. We'll just have to see.

I'm just honestly kind of worried that this won't be as good as season one was. Clem was a big reason season one had the emotional punch is did. You didn't control her, but it felt like your decisions changed who she was as a character. You saw her develop. The way they're trying their hardest to push everything being about her, and the fact you now control her in the game, makes me worry she's going to be less interesting as a character. You don't mold her with your decisions anymore. You just make the decisions for her, just like you did Lee.

Insane Guy of DOOM:

I thought it was rather dubious that they shy'd away from showing Kenny ACTUALLY die, and then proceeding to give you speculative options when you debrief with Christa.

Take a look here:

After Lee tells Christa "he wasnt a bad guy", the top left does that notice thing and says that "They will remember that."

In fact, why would they shy away from showing his death scene in BOTH INSTANCES that he "dies"? It's just too convenient.

All of this plus the trailer heavily hints that they're bringing Kenny back for some people. None of this is even tin-foil hat far fetched speculation. I mean, the set up just seems too convenient, especially given the fact that they did not really shy away from confirming any other character's fate adamantly.

Also, of course they're going to say he's dead at the stats page at the end of Season 1. They're just lying so it's not spoiled. lol..

Kapol:

I'm just honestly kind of worried that this won't be as good as season one was. Clem was a big reason season one had the emotional punch is did. You didn't control her, but it felt like your decisions changed who she was as a character. You saw her develop. The way they're trying their hardest to push everything being about her, and the fact you now control her in the game, makes me worry she's going to be less interesting as a character. You don't mold her with your decisions anymore. You just make the decisions for her, just like you did Lee.

With Lee, they already had his character written out to end as it did I'm more than willing to bet. So while it's true your decisions molded Clementine, while only making them for Lee, that's simply how it worked. Besides, in a sense, there's no molding to be done because ignoring his character's backstory, you were free to choose how he acted. You don't mold your own character, you change how others perceive him.

The issue here, I see, is going from shifting how Clementine views the world as her own character, to using Clementine as a vehicle for the player. It's a shift in perspective that will be the trickiest thing to handle for them, because unlike Lee you already see her personality developing throughout the games. She's her own character, variable as it might be, and now she's becoming the player.

The trick here will be to tie in the decisions from the first season, in order to affect any choices within the second. If she doesn't use a gun at all, and was never trained with one, perhaps some point in season two she'll have to make a choice involving a gun, and that inexperience can lead to a death or incident or what have you. Or, as another example, if she was to receive the sweater/shirt/whatever in season 1, she may be more willing to steal/take what is needed or the like.

I'm also betting that Telltale is hoping that players will treat this as a continuation, and not just a new game entirely. The way you acted in the first season should be carried over into the second, as Lee's attitude would tend to match her own.

Unlike most Bioware games, especially the Mass Effect trilogy, there isn't some arbitrary good/evil mechanic within the game. And also unlike the Mass Effect trilogy specifically, it doesn't punish you again and again for ever deciding to take the "Renegade" routes throughout the game.

Sseth:
Also, of course they're going to say he's dead at the stats page at the end of Season 1. They're just lying so it's not spoiled. lol..

It never said that he "died", it was something similar to "Kenny was lost to the horde". They used a word like "lost", maybe even that word itself, which could both mean "killed", and "hopelessly separated".

And TTG did confirm that Kenny would make an appearance in Season 2. I'm just hoping they didn't make him Houdini out of either of those situations, because thats the most uncanny thing to happen in Season 1 behind the existence of zombies.

cursedseishi:

The issue here, I see, is going from shifting how Clementine views the world as her own character, to using Clementine as a vehicle for the player. It's a shift in perspective that will be the trickiest thing to handle for them, because unlike Lee you already see her personality developing throughout the games. She's her own character, variable as it might be, and now she's becoming the player.

That was my point. The fact that she was such a huge part of what made the first game great is going to be tried pretty hard when the player actually gets control of her. If there's some way for Telltale to have 'personalized' speech options for how Lee taught her, that'd be cool. But I doubt it'll even go that far.

The trick here will be to tie in the decisions from the first season, in order to affect any choices within the second. If she doesn't use a gun at all, and was never trained with one, perhaps some point in season two she'll have to make a choice involving a gun, and that inexperience can lead to a death or incident or what have you. Or, as another example, if she was to receive the sweater/shirt/whatever in season 1, she may be more willing to steal/take what is needed or the like.

Unlike most Bioware games, especially the Mass Effect trilogy, there isn't some arbitrary good/evil mechanic within the game. And also unlike the Mass Effect trilogy specifically, it doesn't punish you again and again for ever deciding to take the "Renegade" routes throughout the game.

The problem is, a lot of those choices you can't avoid. I don't believe there's any way to avoid training Clem to shoot, using your example. You can't avoid doing a lot of the big events in the game. And the ones that seem big carry no huge consequence. And for the Steal/Take option, I'm willing to bet that's going to have the same thing as season one. There's going to be an option, left to the player, to steal or not to steal. I doubt it'll be specifically molded to the player. But Telltale is skilled at making people think the game is, based on season 1.

That said, there are some options they could carry over and have it be interesting. Such as having anyone you spared in episode two of season one come back. But even for that kind of decision, I'm willing to bet they'll have another character doing the same thing if you just killed everyone.

You compared it to Mass Effect, and I think that's a fair comparison. But between the two, I think Walking Dead gives a very good illusion of choice without actual consequences. Mass effect, on the other hand, felt like your choices didn't matter quite as much, but actually had things change based on those decisions. But Mass Effect has had three games, and Walking Dead only one season. So we'll see if Telltale keep 'illusion of choice' or has actual consequences when season two comes out.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here