Fallout 3 Patch Released, And You're Gonna Need It

Fallout 3 Patch Released, And You're Gonna Need It

Bethesda has released an update for Fallout 3 that fixes numerous bugs and quest issues, and will also be necessary to play the upcoming DLC.

The Fallout 3 1.1 patch is available for all three platforms, fixing many minor bugs and crash errors, including oddities like falling through floors while in VATS mode, loading and saving problems that would cause erratic behavior in NPCs and crashes caused by scoring critical headshots with the Railway Rifle. Quest fixes include the infinite caps exploit in "Strictly Business," ensuring the broken Protectrons become active at the correct time in "Big Trouble in Big Town" and numerous NPC speech exploits that popped up during various encounters.

The patch is effectively mandatory even for gamers who aren't experiencing any problems, as Bethesda says version 1.1 of Fallout 3 will be required in order to play the upcoming downloadable content for the Xbox 360 and PC. The first Fallout 3 DLC pack, Operation: Anchorage, will be released on January 27, while The Pitt and Broken Steel are scheduled to follow in February and March.

Owners of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game can get the patch through Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network respectively, while PC gamers can download it directly from fallout.bethsoft.com. More information, including a full list of changes and fixes, can be found here.

How do you exploit a single player game? If someone wants to take advantage of a bug to generate unlimited wealth for himself who cares? Any game imbalance that results only affects their experience.

Not that I care if they fix the bug. Just seems silly to act like it's an important fix.

If this patch keeps my game from locking up and crashing, then I'm good with that.

Well... I already finished with it for now, but hey, if it's more stable I won't complain.

Better earn all my caps now looks like bethesdas coming to ruin my fun of killing mysterios stranger and geting his clothes....

"Falling through floors in fallout" I would pay to see that.

I don't have Xbox Live. Will it download automatically when I put the thing in my 360?

The only crashes I experienced are when I mess around with the console commands too much like player.resurrect. Also whenever I went into a certain type of basement it would cause my game to crash. Odd.

I'm going to give this patch a few days to fester before I download it.

My fear is that this patch will need a patch.

The Sorrow:
I don't have Xbox Live. Will it download automatically when I put the thing in my 360?

If you're connected to the internet, yeah. You don't need a gold account to get updates.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
Better earn all my caps now looks like bethesdas coming to ruin my fun of killing mysterios stranger and geting his clothes....

Kind of apt, actually: A Fallout fallout.

wow the patch comes out after i've finished the game

i wonder if they fixed the bug where the guy you sell scrap metal to can die by walking off something

Now I just wish it would fix the VATS garbage where the game decides to shoot into the wall right in front of you and not the guy right behind it. I mean really they couldn't have come up with something in the game that goes hey...you had a 90% chance to hit that guy and somehow you missed 7 times? error error restoring VATS points...

CUnk:
How do you exploit a single player game? If someone wants to take advantage of a bug to generate unlimited wealth for himself who cares? Any game imbalance that results only affects their experience.

Not that I care if they fix the bug. Just seems silly to act like it's an important fix.

also wouldn't it be easier to use the dev console

Has anyone found that this patch seems to make the game worse? I've never had a problem with Fallout 3 on my PC at all, i got this patch today and all of a sudden VATS is all out of whack, theres this frequent 3 second pause inbetween going into VATS and it displaying the hit chances on an enemy where i can't do anything, and occasionally my player animations screw up, often causing attacks to miss. Its ironic how Games For Windows forces you to download a patch that screws around with a game thats already working perfectly.

Indeed.

Kriegsherr:
Has anyone found that this patch seems to make the game worse? I've never had a problem with Fallout 3 on my PC at all, i got this patch today and all of a sudden VATS is all out of whack, theres this frequent 3 second pause inbetween going into VATS and it displaying the hit chances on an enemy where i can't do anything, and occasionally my player animations screw up, often causing attacks to miss. Its ironic how Games For Windows forces you to download a patch that screws around with a game thats already working perfectly.

Indeed. Chalk me up as someone else who experienced zero bugs prior to this patch. It downloaded last night to my 360, and about an hour or so into the game, I got into a situation where I became stuck in VATS mode; after all my allocated shots were taken, I remained in slow-motion mode, and the bad guys continued to shoot at me (also in slow-motion, of course).

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

The first time I can remember falling through the floor was in 1996, while playing Daggerfall. Guess who made Daggerfall?

13 years later and they still can't get this shit right.

(Just kidding, guys. Love ya, love your game.)

800 MSP i believe for the extra content, although im assuming the patch to fix all the bugs in game will be free
One big glitch i found was in the Washington monument was invisible enimies

im getting more problems with the patch than without it

go figure

Figures that the dlc wont be released for more than a week, bunch of ass holes.

Rednog:
Now I just wish it would fix the VATS garbage where the game decides to shoot into the wall right in front of you and not the guy right behind it. I mean really they couldn't have come up with something in the game that goes hey...you had a 90% chance to hit that guy and somehow you missed 7 times? error error restoring VATS points...

Not as bad as it failing to count walls in throwing grenades. Nuka-Grenades made accidental colorful suicide. At least it was a nice shade of Blue.

Well, Steam just automatically patched my installation of Fallout 3, and I can no longer play the game. I'm getting the (by now) infamous "ordinal 5360" error. It would be bad enough if the problem was in the game itself... but it's infuriating that some idiotic problem with Live is keeping me from playing a PC game.

Well, now I have a pile of wasted space on my hard drive until Bethesda fixes this issue. I have other games to play and I'm not interested in jumping through arbitrary hoops in the flimsy hope that some magic combination of actions will let me play the game I paid for again.

First of all, I'm sorry for all your troubles after the Fallout 3 patch. In Oblivion, I believe, a guy was also falling through the floor/ground (isn't this called clipping?)

Second, I don't know why Bethesda thought it was a smart move to get the DLC out through Windows Live, forcing PC owners to get onto Windows Live. (unless they're planning TES V as a MMO?) And even for PC, I think we have to pay MS points? to get the DLC, if we want it.

On the Bethesda forums, I think there is a post where you can learn how to disable Windows Live...

I appreciate the thought. Thankfully I've managed to work my way around the problem, by uninstalling all Live software and then installing the 2.0 version (which is a real pain to find through normal searching, by the way). There were apparently a bunch of other issues introduced in the game as well, though I've only seen a couple of them personally.

Y'know, I try to be a open-minded gamer when it comes to PC vs. consoles, I don't mind if other folks get their gaming on in other ways. I have no animosity towards consoles themselves. But when my PC game is rendered unplayable due to a bug in a multiplayer service meant for the XBox... well, that's when I start shaking my cane and telling those damn kids to get off my lawn.

Though the patch did fix one problem for me (Jefferson Memorial crash bug) it did not fix anything else. Ah well, at least I can finish the game on my own PC now.

On the bright side, there is a thread on the official forums asking for bugreports so that modders can fix it, since Bethesda is being a real slowpoke in this department.

Right now I can't play Broken Steel even with the patch. The only downloads that show are Pitt and Op: Anchorage, and those I bought retail.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here