Disney Announces Star Wars: Attack Squadrons With Trailer and Screens

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Disney Announces Star Wars: Attack Squadrons With Trailer and Screens

Star Wars: Attack Squadrons will offer free-to-play online space combat for up to 16 pilots at once.

If you have an itch that hasn't been properly scratched since the days of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter then you might want to keep your eyes on Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, the new game announced today by Disney Interactive. It's a free-to-play online space combat sim that will let up to 16 players battle through "iconic Star Wars locations," with unlockable items, upgradeable ships and three PVP modes: Free-For-All, Team Dogfight and Base Defense.

And that's really about all we have for you, aside from some screens and a very dull announcement trailer, but more information about locations, ships - so far only the X-Wing and TIE Interceptor have been mentioned by name - and other details are promised over the coming weeks.

I'd really prefer something with a single-player focus (TIE Fighter 2, anyone?) but this is obviously still worth some attention. The best thing about Star Wars is the space combat, after all, and with all due respect to KOTOR the same can be said about Star Wars games. Star Wars: Attack Squadrons is scheduled to enter closed beta testing in early 2014 and if you'd like to get in on the action, you can put your name in the hat at starwarsattacksquadrons.com.

Looks simple, and could deliver on being a fun little game.
But it is EA making it right? So who's willing to bet that any ship design outside of TIE fighter vanilla and rebel fighter vanilla will be DLC?

Josh12345:
But it is EA making it right?

Well, it was announced by Disney Interactive. So if EA is making it, they're refraining from dropping their name (probably for good reason).

The game site (sign up NOW for beta!) mentions Lucas Arts (who don't exist anymore), Disney, and Area 52.

Area 52 self-describes as "We are an Interactive Games Studio comprised of industry veterans. Our combined years of experience means that if there's a game out there you've loved playing, odds are someone on our team had a hand in building it."

But yeah, I'm wondering if there isn't an EA logo hiding under that Lucas Arts badge.

Free to play? Dammit, another microtransaction-out-the-ass-pay-to-win grindfest like war thunder or WOT will ruin it.

and 16 players? What is this 1999?

Give us full x-wing/tie fighter games with mulitplayer like we've wanted for 20 years and dedicated servers and we'll just pay for it. I suppose they don't want to do that much work though....

This looks EXACTLY like the space combat from battlefront 2....being sold as its own "new" game.
No thank you, i'm good.

I think people would be happier seeing X-Wing, Tie Fighter, XWvsTF (all versions of the previous three) and Rogue Squadron added to GOG rather than a new F2P game involving dogfighting...

cricket chirps:
This looks EXACTLY like the space combat from battlefront 2....being sold as its own "new" game.
No thank you, i'm good.

This probably explains why it has the now-defunct LucasArts logo stamped on it.

*sees headline*
Aw, sweet! A new Star Wars space combat game!
*click*
Star Wars: Attack Squadrons will offer free-to-play..

Moth
er
fuck
er

It is, of course, completely possible that this game could be great like World Of Tanks, but the ratio of good free to play games to bad free to play games is so terrible, I'm not holding my breath.

Uhm....is this not just the Galactic Starfighter mode from SWTOR?
I mean it looks just like this

MinionJoe:

Josh12345:
But it is EA making it right?

Well, it was announced by Disney Interactive. So if EA is making it, they're refraining from dropping their name (probably for good reason).

The game site (sign up NOW for beta!) mentions Lucas Arts (who don't exist anymore), Disney, and Area 52.

Area 52 self-describes as "We are an Interactive Games Studio comprised of industry veterans. Our combined years of experience means that if there's a game out there you've loved playing, odds are someone on our team had a hand in building it."

But yeah, I'm wondering if there isn't an EA logo hiding under that Lucas Arts badge.

Lucasarts still exists as a holding company for the rights. EA have the license to develop core games but Disney still have the rights for casual games. I think they are aiming at world of tanks or something similar on the free to play model.

Oh god why did you have to remind me EA has it's mittens on this, for a moment there I was happy...
It's probably best I tell everyone about Star Conflict at this point, which is a lovely new space dogfighting game all yours for free right now, gives you a rebound buddy when this thing turns out all horrid.

While I'd much prefer a "proper" Star Wars space combat game a la X-Wing and Tie Fighter, at this point I'll take pretty much anything that plops my butt into a starfighter with full freedom of movement. I just hope the F2P elements are akin to World of Tanks and War Thunder, with no "pay-to-win" advantages.

Also, this is not EA per se, but a new company called Area 52 Games. Of course, the question remains as to who owns or controls Area 52...

So this is basically the same as the new pvp space combat addon for free to play old republic. Great....

New Star Wars Space Game! Yay!

It's multiplayer-only, free to play bullshit! Boo!

Great. More FTP nickle and dime horse shit. Yeah fuck off EA. Knowing how you do business this game is going to bring Star Wars fans about as much pleasure as masturbating with a cheese grater. Maybe even less.

Worse than the FTP is that this looks worse than star wars ship mods for ancient games like freelancer and stuff. The ship movements were jerky and unnatural, and the models looked like trash.

There was a Star Wars Game called "Star Wars 1313" in the making, that looked very promising, before Mighty Mouse swallowed Lucas-Arts.How about finishing that one ?

If they make this like War Thunder, they will have a cash cow on their hands.

You had me until "free-to-play"

I'm already well familiar with EA's definition of FTP. Remember how glorious it was to play SWTOR for free? It was essentially "free-to-download", but if you actually wanted to have the slightest bit of fun past the training grounds - pay up.

If you haven't played a starwars fighter game sense the old Tie fighter games, you might want to take a look at "rogue squadron" they have made some good games, was hoping this would be something more like that.

Now that i see its free to play, and multiplayer only, i can't see this being that good, also, if the paint jobs are custoum stuff, im sure i will get the entertainment of seeing pictures of mlp on the side of a tiefighter.

Well fuck. Online only? Free to play? I'm out. I'll stick with Rogue Squadron and local co-op thanks.

Looks like it will be an arcade shooter with zero space combat simulator in it.

LAME.

Seriously, Lucas Arts/Disney must be deaf on both ears if they don't -get it- that people want an X-Wing, TIE-Fighter game.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
*sees headline*
Aw, sweet! A new Star Wars space combat game!
*click*
Star Wars: Attack Squadrons will offer free-to-play..

Moth
er
fuck
er

I see I am not alone it getting my hopes raised and then dashed horribly against the rocks. Still, at least it's progress. Perhaps this is just a test to see if there is interest in a space combat Star Wars game (Here's a hint Disney: YES!) and then they'll make a real one?

And who did the voices for this trailer? Seriously guys, I know it's early work, but come on. Try to sound a little excited. I could have done better than that. I mean, have the people who read those lines never seen Star Wars and were just reading off of a piece of paper?

And finally, and perhaps the biggest sin of all, is that no one said, "Lock S-Foils in attack position." Honestly, do these people even care?
...what? Stop looking at me like that! :-)

Mcoffey:
New Star Wars Space Game! Yay!

It's multiplayer-only, free to play bullshit! Boo!

this this exactly this. What the fuck was wrong with tie fighter? why not just do that?

DTWolfwood:

Except there's really nothing that can compete with War Thunder at this point. Wargaming's World Of series is failing hard right now. World of Tanks is an unbalanced garbage fest, World of Warplanes is a joke, and War Thunder is about to release their Tank Warfare game mode within the month or so.

I don't see how a 16 player dogfighter that looks this uninspired is going to take on that juggernaut.

*sound of head exploding from sheer joy* If they let me make custom battles like in X-Wing alliance, I would be soooooooo happy. Jeez do I miss that game. Spent so much damn time playing it with my cousins. A-Wings FTW!!!!!

Wow, it's like if they made a Rogue Squadron 4, added multiplayer, then ripped the story mode out. And for fucks sake can we mix it up with the old and new ships? I'm tired of flying X-wings. Can I get the Actis light Interceptor without having to give up Y-wings?

X-Wing Smeckswing. Give me a new Rogue Squadron, dammit!

Zachary Amaranth:
X-Wing Smeckswing. Give me a new Rogue Squadron, dammit!

You have my guns dear sir!

(Forget Christmas, Gotta dig out my N64 now!)

This just goes to prove that the game industry is set on taking game concepts I want to see more of... and running them into the ground... :(

I got really excited there until I got to the whole 'ftp online' bullshit. Massive interest to zero interest in five syllables - thanks a bunch Disney.

Soviet Heavy:

DTWolfwood:

Except there's really nothing that can compete with War Thunder at this point. Wargaming's World Of series is failing hard right now. World of Tanks is an unbalanced garbage fest, World of Warplanes is a joke, and War Thunder is about to release their Tank Warfare game mode within the month or so.

I don't see how a 16 player dogfighter that looks this uninspired is going to take on that juggernaut.

You under estimate the fanbase of Star Wars.

It would not be competing directly with War Thunder. But if there is a ship tree and progression system where you can unlock various notable Star Wars ships it would be a gold mine for disney.

Make the old republic ships early tier, where fewer players will know what they are, thus care less, and make X-Wing or Tie-fighter late tier, the fans will play this game to death grinding to get those ships. Monetize Skywalker's X-Wing or Vader's TIE Fighter or Solo's Millennium Falcon.

The game would be brilliant and profitable. Shoot, i want to play that.

Basically, War Thunder with Star War skins :D

Well, screw that. Is there anyone who gets excited over anything Star Wars-related any more? They can sprinkle in as many tired old lines as they like.

tmande2nd:
Uhm....is this not just the Galactic Starfighter mode from SWTOR?
I mean it looks just like this

No.

Galactic Starfighter is 12 v 12.

But seriously, 8v8 is really kinda... smallish.

Soviet Heavy:

DTWolfwood:

World of series has 4x the # of players as WT and is "Failing hard"? WT balances by bank account at each tier (better planes are more expensive to repair, that makes it balanced! Honest!), making it Pay2Win, but oh no, WoT is the unbalanced mess?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here