Rust Servers Under Siege by Network Attacks

Rust Servers Under Siege by Network Attacks

Rust environment

The developers of survival sim Rust are having survival issues of their own, thanks to an aggressive attack on the game's servers.

Facepunch Studios' Rust is an open-world sandbox that blends the emergent multiplayer gameplay of DayZ with Minecraft's low-tech crafting and exploration, wrapped up in a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-flavored shell. I apologize if that description made you interested, because right now the game can't really be played. Rust is an online-only title, and no servers have been available for the past couple of days as a result of an aggressive DDOS attack.

DDOS (Distributed Denial Of Service) attacks basically overload servers with more requests than it can process, crashing whatever that server was supposed to be doing. It appears that whoever is attacking Rust is taking a more tactical approach, though. "So after some investigating it appears that the servers are receiving DDOS attacks," Facepunch reports. "Not the usual ... DDOS attack. It kind of seems like someone is periodically grabbing the server list and attacking any occupied server with a bunch of empty packets."

That strategy removes any doubt - somebody is trying hard to shut down Rust players. Rust hasn't even made a full release - it's currently in alpha, available via Steam Early Access, and somebody's already targeting it. The developers have been working over the holiday weekend to implement countermeasures, and the servers have slowly begun to stabilize. Attacks are still popping up, though, so be warned if you decided to venture online. Facepunch apologizes for the difficulties, and hopes to have a long-term solution ready soon.

Source: Rust

So. Anyone wanna help me assemble a list of suspects?

Just to throw a few out there, Fans of Day Z, Fans of Infestation: Survival Stories (Formerly The War Z), Devs of Infestation: Survival Stories.

It just seems like fans of Genres like this, or ARTS/MOBAs have this uneasy hatred of one another. Though I don't know how this would benefit the fans, since they tend to hate everyone else including each other inside their fan base.

Granted I can understand their hatred, you could be gunned down by other players in Day Z, and in ARTS/MOBAs you could be brought down by one person playing badly, but still this kind of crosses the hatred line.

Cecilo:

Just to throw a few out there, Fans of Day Z, Fans of Infestation: Survival Stories (Formerly The War Z), Devs of Infestation: Survival Stories.

It just seems like fans of Genres like this, or ARTS/MOBAs have this uneasy hatred of one another. Though I don't know how this would benefit the fans, since they tend to hate everyone else including each other inside their fan base.

Granted I can understand their hatred, you could be gunned down by other players in Day Z, and in ARTS/MOBAs you could be brought down by one person playing badly, but still this kind of crosses the hatred line.

Wouldn't it make more sense to wait a bit for new info to emerge before generalizing and vilifying people? Yeesh.

OT: I am so sick of hearing about these kinds of attacks. The people/person doing it always has some kind of convoluted reason for it, but I've yet to see any form of DDoSing that was actually, provably justified.

Maybe this game is bigger than I thought so this isn't really a gift but...

This seems like it might be the best thing to happen to them. I had never heard of this game until now. That description you gave...I wants it. I wants it now...

I suppose I can't get it right now but this news story and the description of the game has piqued my interest. Without this attack, there's a good chance I'd never have heard of it.

This is just an ARG for the game. In-game you get ganged up on and destroyed by being outnumbered, now the devs are under attack by a massive amount of connections. It's all marketing, I'm telling you!

Cecilo:

You don't even need to be a fan of a rival game anymore, a lot of the "gaming community" just hates anything they don't like/play. It doesn't matter if it's a similar game, they'll attack each other over trivial shit; just look at all the console/PC shit that gets brought up on this site.

Cecilo:

I can't see this being fan based as it's too deliberate and technical to be some attempt at fan rage or mob attacks on a game people fear will detract from their own favorite.

My immediate guess is that this is business related, and quite personal, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Devs actually know, or have a strong suspicion, of who is behind it and why.

Something like Anonymous could see this done of course, but they would typically make a public statement, and honestly in recent years this seems to be a little too petty for them, especially since the game is still in alpha

Wow. I am really angry about this and I don't even play the game. I mean, this could cripple the company making the game, to say nothing of the people who payed for it (if I recall right, you have to pay to get access to the alpha, but I could be wrong). I mean, talk about dick moves.

What kind of feeble losers spend their time doing this? They must be the saddest, angriest people on earth.

RJ Dalton:
Wow. I am really angry about this and I don't even play the game. I mean, this could cripple the company making the game, to say nothing of the people who payed for it (if I recall right, you have to pay to get access to the alpha, but I could be wrong). I mean, talk about dick moves.

My sentiments exactly. It's funny how much elements of the gaming community spend time on and take pleasure in stopping others playing games.

Guess some people just can't handle all the penis this game has to offer...

RJ Dalton:

I doubt it would cripple them. The studio behind rust is also behind Garry's Mod so it's not like Rust is their sole source of income. Last I checked that's still doing pretty well and sees lots of use. It does, however, suck for them. I own it yet haven't gotten around to playing it, but the videos I've seen people do for it are definitely up my alley.

I will say I'll put in my vote for the attack being done by the Devs behind WarZ. I think they are still mad over losing their original name, and have given up on developing their game to instead attack the competition to make them look bad! They'll need a whole lot more to do that though...

Nobody claiming responsibility? Hmmmm... Need more info before we can point fingers.

All this amounts to is a big middle finger from a group of people who haven't revealed their motivations. The countermeasures will go up at the cost of development time and availability to players but it won't stop the game nor will it destroy the playerbase. Most of the people interested in the game and who have bought it/attempted to play it since the beginning of this will understand that its not Facepunch's fault. This is just a big FU to Rust from some people who clearly care too much about what gets released.

Cognimancer:
DDOS (Directed Denial Of Service)

Not quite. DDoS is Distributed Denial of Service. A denial of service attack using multiple attackers (eg a botnet) to distribute the load of connections so that you can generate a lot more traffic than you could with just one attacking computer.

Caffiene:

Cognimancer:
DDOS (Directed Denial Of Service)

Not quite. DDoS is Distributed Denial of Service. A denial of service attack using multiple attackers (eg a botnet) to distribute the load of connections so that you can generate a lot more traffic than you could with just one attacking computer.

Ah, right you are. Don't know what I was thinking, but the article's been updated. Thanks for the catch!

Cognimancer:

Ah, right you are. Don't know what I was thinking, but the article's been updated. Thanks for the catch!

Now I kind of want to see what an undirected attack would look like.

"Attaaaaaack!" *charges off in a random direction*

RJ Dalton:

Ehhh they wont be ruined.

Facepunch might sound familiar as the same guys who made and sell Garrys Mod.

Aka one of the top sellers on steam.

At this point, you'd think that server farms would have DDOS-countermeasures built-in right out of the gate. It's not like they're uncommon.

Caffiene:

Cognimancer:

Preferably while shouting "LEROY JENKINS!" at max volume. :P

This is an issue for any game that is exclusively online. It's pain in the ass. They should allow people to run their own servers right off the bat rather than only have official servers. This will go away in time. Soon this game will fall to the backdrop of the million games just like it coming out.

Edit: "All you see is floppy weiners everywhere!"

Yeah, I'm sort of puzzled as to why anyone would do this. Unless it's ripping off Day Z, which is a possibility, and these are fans trying to sabotage it. And I would get that, Day Z players are pretty protective since the War Z, which was an utter crap cash-in that rode completely on the back of Day Z with hardly any effort and was a vehicle for in-game purchases. But if it's not like Day Z that much...it's a small niche at the moment. It'd be a pity if there was only one good zombie survival game of that kind.

EDIT: Actually yeah, could be War Z devs. They seem like the kind of bitter fuckwits who would take it out on another game.

Pyrian:
At this point, you'd think that server farms would have DDOS-countermeasures built-in right out of the gate. It's not like they're uncommon.

And whats the difference between a botnet PC and a normal user? Very little, there's a reason why DDoS attacks are still pretty viable and this one appears to be more subtle (for an attack) than most.

Wait why all of a sudden are we already pointing fingers and naming fans that possibly attacked when we have no concrete proof, I thought we were better than this.

If anything it's going to be a group if not a few people, not a bloody fandom or a group that stick to one game only while hating another.

Also I'm going to have to check out Rust seeing as how Day Z standalone feels and still plays like utter trash without many signs of getting better like PA has, even Castle Story has lagged behind PA in terms of updates and actual patches.

MrBrightside919:
Guess some people just can't handle all the penis this game has to offer...

because its always the penis fault.

stay classy

The classic line "This is why we can't have nice things" comes to mind.

Still, though. It's probably better that this happens now when the game is still in alpha to lessen the chances of it happening after release.

Ed130:

Pyrian:

And whats the difference between a botnet PC and a normal user? Very little, there's a reason why DDoS attacks are still pretty viable and this one appears to be more subtle (for an attack) than most.

The targeting strategy is interesting, but they're just spamming empty packets. Hardly rocket science to identify.

Why would somone do this? This gives the game more publicity than it would ahve had on its own. Last i heard the game was so buggy that it would become obscure in weeks anyway.

Caffiene:

Cognimancer:

It exists. IT tries to attack every ip it can find live checking which ip has security and which not. it gives up as soon as it finds resistence and randomly goes somewhere else. the purpose of such attacks is to find people without security measures and turn them into bots that run DDOS like that, without them even knowing it.

Pyrian:

because such countermeasures do not exist. There are basically 3 ways you can deal with a DOS.
1. shut down your servers or keep them live but unacessible and call police, because DDOSing is illegal pretty much everywhere.
2. Be faster and have better bandwitch thank combined force of the attackers, in which case you can "ignore" it and they would achieve nothing. Considering that i could buy an internet contract with 10 dollars a month capable of sending out tens of thousands of attacks per second this becomes siginificantly difficult as people no longer use Dial-ups.
3. DDOS/hack them back. This takes even more power than option 2 becuase not only you have to handle incomming connectinos but you also need to identify and target the attackers at high speeds. Proxies are unlikely because proxies able to handle the bandwitch of DDOS is very expensive, the all the more popular remote servers - possible, so your target may not be even identifiable.

there are no "DDOS off" switch you can buy.

DDOS becomes more popular also due to the fact that it is very easy. there are multiple programs on the internet that allow you to DDOS other ips just by pressing couple buttons. Downloading and owning such programs is not illegal, because the programs themselves do not do anything illegal, however they can be directed to do illegal things. Just like you can stab somone with a knife but knife is not illegal weapon. Any kid can download and DDOS what they dont like. Also the fact that German court ruled that DDOS is a form of public protest does not help as a deterrant.

...just wow

DDOS as a form of protest? Given the right circumstances, I might even defend the practice

Dirty trick by a competing company? Despicable, but it makes sense

Hell, I'll even accept a personal vendetta against someone on the dev team and/or publishers as at least being a reason

...but if this was just done by some random script kiddie? I just... why? Why do they do these things? What purpose did this serve?
Plenty of good hackers out there & they don't do this; most just tinker with code when they're bored.
Why do trolls always take things beyond the point where anyone could/would defend them?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here