Too Much Caffeine Can Make You Hallucinate

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Too Much Caffeine Can Make You Hallucinate

Fancy another cup of espresso? You might not when the ghosts start talking to you.

A study by Durham University in England, has found that caffeine doesn't just give you the shakes and stop you sleeping: it can actually give you hallucinations.

200 students were asked about their typical intake of caffeine containing products, such as coffee, tea and energy drinks as well as chocolate bars and caffeine tablets.

Heavy caffeine drinkers (7+ cups of instant coffee a day) were found to be more prone to hallucinating, with some saying they feel the presence of dead people. Those that drank less than one cup were found to have three times less chance of these weird hallucinations.

However, this isn't due to caffeine's ability to break through to the spirit realm, you'll be pleased to know, but rather the increased effect it has on stress.

Mental health charity MIND has said that the hallucinations are separate from actual mental illness, and can be caused by any stressful situation.

And, of course, the British Coffee Association(BCA) has condemned the study, saying that the study focused purely on caffeine and not the effects of other substances or situations.

The BCA also says that decaffeinated coffee carries no adverse effects and can be drunk freely, but , really, who wants to do that?

Source: Metro
(Image)

Hmmmm (takes a sip of Cup #5) that actually explains a lot about my personality...and why I'm so much spacier and much more imaginative at the end of the day.

decaf coffee...you mean ppl actually drink that stuff for the taste?

Hmmm, an experiment comes to mind...trying this on myself. I;ve always wanted to hallucinate xD

I love caffeine. The only coffee that I like is the flavored stuff that I brew at home. If I had a coffee pot at my desk at work where I made that stuff all day, I think that I would be hallucinating too.

Time for me to try that shit!

Actually, caffeine helps me sleep.

Other less-obvious means of hallucination? Nutmeg.

No, I'm not kidding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutmeg#Psychoactivity_and_Toxicity

PLEASE read that article and understand the risks IF you plan on trying nutmeg. I have not tried it and I do not encourage anyone to do so. Just sayin'... it's out there.

OuroborosChoked:

No, I'm not kidding.

PLEASE read that article and understand the risks IF you plan on trying nutmeg. I have not tried it and I do not encourage anyone to do so. Just sayin'... it's out there.

I've had nutmeg in my coffee before... sorry, kids, I didn't see strange colours or anything like that. Currently I'm enjoying espresso with a brown-sugar-and-cinnamon blend my Mom gave me as a stocking stuffer. Yum. (But no sky-ripples or marching hammers with that, either.)

-- Steve

I always thought it was the lack of sleep that caused the hallucinations... ah well, this is why I never started drinking coffee. That and the fact that I already have insomnia.

Then there's always these.

Anton P. Nym:

OuroborosChoked:

No, I'm not kidding.

I've had nutmeg in my coffee before... sorry, kids, I didn't see strange colours or anything like that. Currently I'm enjoying espresso with a brown-sugar-and-cinnamon blend my Mom gave me as a stocking stuffer. Yum. (But no sky-ripples or marching hammers with that, either.)

-- Steve

You'd have to take a moderately huge amount to get any sort of rush and the side effects don't sound worth it. Plus there's the fact that nutmeg tastes like shit.

So that's why I hallucinate at night!

Anton P. Nym:

OuroborosChoked:

No, I'm not kidding.

-- Steve

You DO know that's NOT what I was saying... AT ALL... right?

So, uh, if this study is to be trusted, I'm wondering how's the rate of hallucinations reported in India...

i have hallucinations if i dont have enough caffeine (along with vomiting headach and pure hatred for everyone around me)

I drink coffee to fall asleep. I crash pretty easy after that.

well i just downed my third litre today, and i can say that the voices have definitely been telling me to kill since way before then.

in all seriousness, i have heard that caffeine can do that. too bad that in the real world my mum drinks all the coffee. also, i can remember at least three times when i was seriously affected by caffiene. well i remember one time where i got exactly what you would think: i got a bit jumpy and couldnt sit still. when i got home i went in back with my dog as an excuse to run around. and it was raining... the other time i actually became unusually relaxed and if i was actually driving (got picked up that time) i would have probably crashed and been in a minor deadly accident or something. though i could have just been tired, but you wouldnt think i would be tired. the third time was during the movie not after, and i just had to sit still for however long, and it got slightly annoying that i wouldnt stop shaking.

You do realize thats like.... 7 Or More cups a day right?
That is a crapload of coffee.
I get tired of the stuff after cup #3...

And yes i shake like hell but I'm really good at css now.
One deags are cake...javajavajavajavajava...yum.

Edit:on second thought,since coffee stimulates the adrenal gland it's really only a small contributor compared to my daily activities.

Wait, why isn't this a Good thing? Hell, I'd change my label to read:

Coffee(tm) Now with Caffeine! (The Legal Hallucinogenic!)

Well, that explains a lot. I always wondered why I was hearing things. Now I know,I guess I should cut down. Coffee doesn't affect me much these days. I drink it before I sleep.

Canebrake:
You do realize thats like.... 7 Or More cups a day right?
That is a crapload of coffee.

7 cups of instant coffee. It's only 1.7 cups of Starbucks.

(Takes a sip out of 2nd cup of his home brewed coffee that is at least 3 times stronger than anything over the counter.)

Hmmm... Nope, so voices or visions so far.

I see enough weird things without the coffee.

Sylocat:

Then there's always these.

Direct quote from that article: "...most of them are probably spam or viruses that pop-up gaping anuses on your screen."

Best...sentence...ever.

Coffee. It tastes bitter, and makes you see dead people. Great beverage.

No idea how much caffeine I have in my diet per day, but am imagining it is probably in the 10+ cups of coffee range. No hallucinating ... but I do drink that much everyday so maybe I am constantly hallucinating and in a dream world, not the real world.... its like the caffeine matrix!

i dont Hallucinate when i have large amounts of coffee

You know whats fun?

Try going about a month with zero caffine. Then after the month has passed, down two cans of energy drink.

Now THAT is a rush.

i think this study is going to make people drink coffe, i mean come on who doesn't want to hallucinate!!!

Cousin_IT:
decaf coffee...you mean ppl actually drink that stuff for the taste?

I didn't know there was another reason. Must be my odd taste buds....

matrix3509:
You know whats fun?

Try going about a month with zero caffeine. Then after the month has passed, down two cans of energy drink.

Now THAT is a rush.

Try doing that in reversal so you can experience the classic effects of coming off any drug. I went off of a substance that my doctor gave me and I just continually kept yelling at people for being too loud or would just become extremely irritable.
This happens with any addictive substance though. Well mostly except for the yelling part when it comes to coffee.

Wait...

Does this mean my best friend Tyler Durden is a hallucination?

caffeine only does this in amounts that are akin to being more likely to kill yourself, from what i had read anyway.

That would explain why I'm better at CoD4 after a few bottles of Nos.

So wait is this actually news to anyone?

Shit I figured that out last year in my AP Gov class when I started seeing someone sitting next to me who disappeared randomly.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here