Guild Wars 2: Our Story So Far Marks The Beginning Of The End

Guild Wars 2: Our Story So Far Marks The Beginning Of The End

The Guild Wars 2 "Living World" saw some major changes in 2013, but even bigger things are yet to come.

Guild Wars 2 players will no doubt recognize the name Scarlet Briar, the Sylvari supervillain and driving force behind all the significant unpleasantness that's plagued the game over the past year. She's been very busy indeed, forging alliances, developing technology and putting into motion a scheme that began in early 2013 in the Flame and Frost events and continued all the way through to The Nightmares Within releases of last November.

"As we announced back in December, we're down to just four releases to go in the current storyline of living world," said Game Director Colin Johanson. "The first of those four releases is nearly upon us, and we wanted to help take a moment and look back at the key moments that have brought us up to this point as a refresher before we dive-head first into countdown to the big finale."

Her wicked machinations reach far and deep, but what's her ultimate goal? The endgame is a mystery, but this much is certain: The worst is yet to come - and the end begins on January 21. To find out more about Guild Wars 2 and the "Living World" narrative events, go to guildwars2.com.

You know, I am not amused by the title. Made it look as if GW2 is about to be shut down.

damn, i just played 5min ago. still havent finished this game. still busy discovering everything trying to achieve 100% with every map.
might be good but im also busy with other games.

Anyone else think that Scarlett bears a striking resemblance to Borderland's Gaige?

*Sigh*

I posted about this in the actual trailer thread instead, well ... I shall quote myself! :D

While I am a big fan of the first Guild Wars, the second one never warmed up to me. Sure the world was big and grant, but I couldn't level up as much as the first game, since that was maxed to level 20 and such, it made it much easier for me ... much more fun too.

Apparently the big bad of the 'first arc' of Guild Wars 2 was a bummer, that made it even worse for me.
Then there was the memory of my computer, the lengthy patches and how much I didn't play it. So I uninstalled it, I just feel REALLY unmotivated to play the game anymore.

And is it me or does this trailer just feel lackluster, not epic enough.
So the big bad of this one is a women, sure I got no problem with that but it just worries me that she isn't truly THE BIG BAD of the arc, but I can't say crap since I don't play it nor care anymore.

Shame really.

Sweet! new content patches and... broken gates? very interesting indeed. I wonder what, if anything, this has to do with the strangling vine attacking the Pale Tree from inside the dream. Is Scarlet the architect of her own accord, or is she a corrupted Dragon Champion? Could this be Mordramoth's retribution for killing off Zhaitan, or something new altogether?

This trailer makes the whole living story thing seem much more interesting than it really is in game. At least in my opinion, they attempt to give it this epic feel but it's actually pretty boring when seen in game.

VanQ:
This trailer makes the whole living story thing seem much more interesting than it really is in game. At least in my opinion, they attempt to give it this epic feel but it's actually pretty boring when seen in game.

Yeah, I got that feeling as well. It's a cool concept, I think it was something neat for the first period it was released. But MMO's are continuous, and the quicker something becomes old hat and boring, the more apparent the design flaw is.

I didn't know about the dredge and flame legion along with the other stuff. I stopped playing a while back. But my question is what about the dragons?

Aren't there like 4 or 5 elder dragons that still have to be dealt with? Who cares about Scarlet?

Ishal:

VanQ:

Yeah, I got that feeling as well. It's a cool concept, I think it was something neat for the first period it was released. But MMO's are continuous, and the quicker something becomes old hat and boring, the more apparent the design flaw is.

I didn't know about the dredge and flame legion along with the other stuff. I stopped playing a while back. But my question is what about the dragons?

Aren't there like 4 or 5 elder dragons that still have to be dealt with? Who cares about Scarlet?

Well the other dragons have kinda been laying low since they all woke. Zhaitan rose an ancient city and used his powers to instantly build an army, so I guess he felt ready to kill everyone and is also only one the alliance could reach.

Kraklkatorrik branded an area and is out in the desert sitting in a sandstorm and I believe this is the area that is swarming with a lich's army. Primordious is probably deep underground building his destroyer army, Jormag is way north doing whatever it is Jormag does. The deep sea dragon is well in the deep sea and I believe his presence drove the karka to Southsun and it took forever to get them under control, while the world seems to have forgotten about Mordremoth.

The reason anyone cares about Scarlet is because she is actively trying to destroy everyone. Dragon bash made it seem like the dragon champions were under control and if they are, lore wise at least, then she would be the only current major threat. On top of that the recent toxic alliance could be related to Mordremoth and we got mysterious probes pounding the ground all around Tyria which could be anything from Dredge related to Primordious related, so they should be coming back soon.

StormShaun:
*Sigh*

I posted about this in the actual trailer thread instead, well ... I shall quote myself! :D

While I am a big fan of the first Guild Wars, the second one never warmed up to me. Sure the world was big and grant, but I couldn't level up as much as the first game, since that was maxed to level 20 and such, it made it much easier for me ... much more fun too.

Apparently the big bad of the 'first arc' of Guild Wars 2 was a bummer, that made it even worse for me.
Then there was the memory of my computer, the lengthy patches and how much I didn't play it. So I uninstalled it, I just feel REALLY unmotivated to play the game anymore.

And is it me or does this trailer just feel lackluster, not epic enough.
So the big bad of this one is a women, sure I got no problem with that but it just worries me that she isn't truly THE BIG BAD of the arc, but I can't say crap since I don't play it nor care anymore.

Shame really.

You seem to be really sexist to think that a woman couldn't be the villain. But she's not just a woman, instead she's an anomaly plant born from the Pale Tree. The normal plants born from the tree are either of the Dream or corrupted of Nightmare; but still with a purpose set upon them. Scarlet had no purpose and instead set out to question everything, eventually turning to the brightest in the land -the Asura colleges- to teach her the purpose of the universe and the Eternal Alchemy.

The Living Story's 1st chapter/arc was really fun and interesting. It had dungeons, outdoor events, and great story instances. The death of the Lion's Arch captain and the destruction of the Nightmare Tower were both very epic in the interactive parts and the actual visual representations (i.e. cinematic).

The interesting part of this whole trailer shows a few broken/destroyed Asura Gates. I'm wondering if that's in Lion's Arch at the gate hub and whether or not that location will be permanently effected by Scarlet? Would be cool if it happened and some other city became central hub for the game (*cough* Rata Sum *cough*)

Renegade-pizza:
Anyone else think that Scarlett bears a striking resemblance to Borderland's Gaige?

Only abit cos of the similar hair style.

2xDouble:
Sweet! new content patches and... broken gates? very interesting indeed. I wonder what, if anything, this has to do with the strangling vine attacking the Pale Tree from inside the dream. Is Scarlet the architect of her own accord, or is she a corrupted Dragon Champion? Could this be Mordramoth's retribution for killing off Zhaitan, or something new altogether?

I betting she is probably related to those "Do Not Touch" pillar thing that are scatter thoughtout the maps.

Either way, does this mean we can finally get to killed Scarlet once and for all? She was an ok villain at first but now I'm sick of her and with them shoehorn her in everything in the game even if she is voiced by Tara Strong!

VanQ:

I liked the idea of living story but goddamn everytime I login and try and play some of it I feel so bloody lost, I suppose that's the inherit flaw with the living story for me, the content disappears after a certain amount of time has passed, and if you're a returning player you're completely in uncharted areas with no clue as to what's going on because one story can be connected to another.

The best content they put out was super adventure box, mostly because it was self contained, I like the sentiment of a big story but unless it's there to experience from start to finish, it just doesn't work for me.

Ugh, I missed out on so much stuff...
I simply don't have the time anymore to spent on one game,
as I have other things to do and also want to play other games.
Maybe I'll visit GW2 again on the 21th but exams are coming up :<

Scarim Coral:

Renegade-pizza:

Only abit cos of the similar hair style.

2xDouble:

I betting she is probably related to those "Do Not Touch" pillar thing that are scatter thoughtout the maps.

Either way, does this mean we can finally get to killed Scarlet once and for all? She was an ok villain at first but now I'm sick of her and with them shoehorn her in everything in the game even if she is voiced by Tara Strong!

I'm not going to spoil anything too much from the recent live streams, but those pillars are definitely hers.

Harley Quinn ftw! (incidentally... job-o-/hobo-/hoho-tron evolves into bat-o-tron? no, probably not, but how funny would that be?)

As someone who already plays GW2, this doesn't exactly make me ant to play the game. I'd go so far as saying this trailer does a disservice to the game.

If I'm being honest, this trailer makes the Living Story sound much more exciting than it was.

The Living Story has been a total failure on every level of story-telling. Scarlet herself is a Villain Sue who could teach David Xanatos a thing or two about how to plan for failure and yet have it still be "part of the plan". The alliances are stupid and in many cases violate the internal canon of those races (like the dredge, who threw off the yoke of slavery, becoming allies with a faction that seeks to dominate over the other charr legions and wants to quite literally put the charr women "back in the kitchen"). And the story itself is disjointed, each part seemingly completely unlinked outside of Scarlet showing up to claim credit for the disaster. The weasel even wormed her way into a Fractal release, for no reason other than for the writers to keep cramming her leafy appendages down our throats.

If the Living Story doesn't pick up soon, I may be quitting this game, honestly. It's spoiled so much potential for me that it'll take a real impressive lineup post-Scarlet to keep me interested and get my play time back up (as I pretty much play only for dailies now).

The Mysterious Probes that is around the maps has something to do with Dragon Energy and the Lay-Lines as Scarlet says in the Fractal. I wonder how Anet would have written her in if we would have gotten the Abaddon Fractal instead..

The problem with the Living Story is that if you don't follow it every waking minute, you will miss out and then all the quests and activities are gone, making it feel horribly disjointed, fractured even. I kinda got bored with GW2 some time ago, after spending a gazillion hours on it, so I took a short break. Then when I came back, I was horribly lost, gave up and got bored with it again. Since then I've tried multiple times to get back in, but it's just not working for me anymore. It makes me feel a bit sad, because I really want to enjoy this, being a Guild Wars fan since the first hour. I was massively excited when GW2 came out, but over time, the cracks began to show. NPCs really aren't that interesting or memorable, the main story is just plain generic (and also TRAHEARNE FFFUUUUU), cutscenes are reduced to two characters yapping in front of a still background, and the Living Story is more of a fissure than a simple crack.

That being said, I still believe it's an excellent MMORPG with very refreshing combat mechanics. It's not just idly standing around clicking your skills like pretty much every other MMORPG out there. There is actual action to it. I think it's also great that GW2 goes against the 'holy trinity' and as a result, kicked the whole notion of 'tank-healer-dps' out the door, while still maintaining a good balance.

To anyone wanting to buy a game that is a whole new breed of MMORPG I say; go for it! But as a diehard Guild Wars lore fan, I am quite disappointed.

The thing is GW2 doesn't have a living world. They just have a world that keeps doing mini-expansions with tons of people running around in them. A living world gets shaped by the activities of the player base and has little to do with what static content is currently implemented, so by that standard even Eve Online is more of a living world than GW2 is. We might be getting a living world with how destructible Everquest Next's terrain is. It would be at least nice to read about how some player broke open a hole to an old ruin and now the inhabitants of that ruin are over taking the surrounding area.

I stopped playing half a year ago because the Living World stuff was just dreadfully dull. The only new map they added during my play time was Southsun Cove and everyone who's been there knows how that turned out...

I've been thinking about restarting it just to see if anything's changed, but this really doesn't motivate me to do that.

Someone please wake me up when they finally add some new maps or content that isn't temporary.

The problem with living world, and guild wars 2 in general, is that the story is really poorly written. The game itself is a lot of fun, but almost everyone who plays it hates the main campaign story. So they do dungeons, boss fights, etc. as you would expect from an MMO, and that's fine, but this big focus on a "living world" story when writing is the game's biggest weakness. It just seems dumb to me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here