Award-Winning Author To Write Doom 4

Award-Winning Author To Write Doom 4

I'm not sure what the point is, but id Software has hired award-winning British sci-fi author Graham Joyce to handle the writing duties on Doom 4.

Joyce has written 14 novels since 1991, along with numerous shorter works, spanning science fiction, fantasy, horror and "mainstream literature." His second novel, 1992's Dark Sister, won won the British Fantasy Award, a prize he's taken three more times since, along with two Imaginaire Awards and a World Fantasy Award for the 2002 novel The Facts of Life. As well as being a successful author, Joyce also teaches creative writing courses at Nottingham Trent University.

All of which could easily lead a person to wonder what he's doing working on Doom 4. The stories in Doom 1, 2 and 3 certainly weren't anything that any self-respecting author would take credit for, and that's always been part of their admittedly odd charm: The complete lack of any story beyond "space marine fights demons." Yet here we have a real author, who's won considerably acclaim for his work, sitting down to craft the story upon which Doom 4 will be built.

Filled with understandable doubt, CVG contacted Joyce to confirm that he is in fact working on the new Doom project. It's all true, although NDAs prevent Joyce from revealing anything more. "I can say that id have hired me to help develop the storyline potential," was all he'd admit to. id CEO Todd Hollenshead said back in August that he'd like to do another Doom movie, possibly based on the game currently in production, and if that's a serious consideration it could be a very powerful incentive to bring a real writer on board to help ensure the next Doom movie is a step up from the last one.

Is id planning to tell a real story in Doom 4? And if so, will it work? Doom and Doom 2 are among my favorite games of all time, in large part because they allow me to kill stuff without thinking about anything else. No stats, no reading, no narration, no cut scenes, no nothing except an endless supply of bullets and bad guys. And while Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil fell flat in comparison, the absence of a decent story (or any kind of story) wasn't the problem. I'll be thrilled if id and Joyce can team up to create a gripping tale of horror and survival in a demon-infested future, but first and foremost I want to see some balls-out demon holocaust massacre action. Anything beyond that is secondary.

I'd quite like to see Doom 4 upscale things.

Since the plot for all* the Doom games involve the armies of Hell escaping, how cool would it be to fight a large scale battle on the surface of Mars, or get sucked into the war that created Doom 3's soul cube?

Unfortunatel I can feel another linear jump out of closets fps coming on...

As Bollo would say, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

Dunno if itl work in this specific case. But one sure way to have the industry standard of game storywriting improve is to keep devs as far away from doing it as possible. In that respect, this is only a good thing I guess.

Getting big name writers and actors onto games generally isn't much to get excited about. Theres very few big names who have actually put any effort into it. I think either they're not taking it seriously and are just in it for the money, or they where generally intrested, took one look at the script, sighed and tried to get it over with quickly.

But, the worst thing I could see happening with Doom is this writer taking it seriously. I don't want a deep and multi-layered story about a space marien that shoots demons. But maybe a slight parady of other such games would be kind of fun.

Malygris:
I'll be thrilled if id and Joyce can team up to create a gripping tale of horror and survival in a demon-infested future, but first and foremost I want to see some balls-out demon holocaust massacre action. Anything beyond that is secondary.

This! If they can get that part right in Doom 4 then a decent story is just an added bonus. The game needs to go back to its roots in Doom 1 and 2 and have hordes of enemys coming at you.

Doom 3 and the expansion Resurrection of Evil were not necessarily bad games, they did dark horror corridor shooting well. It was the fact that they carry the Doom name that they were poorly recieved. I remember being a little dispointed when I would only get maybe four or five enemies to come at me at once. Compared with the fourty or fifty Doom 1 or 2 would throw at you just for pressing the wrong switch and triggering a trap.

I didn't know the Doom series had a story line...

xitel:

This. That was one of the reasons why I liked the first 2 so much.

This makes little sense, but hey, the industry really needs more talented writers.

I'd rather go for the Serious Sam + Crysis approach here...

I always found 3 wanted to have a story but then didn't want it to be too distracting or really mean anything. Other than a few people turning out to be evil and an illusionary choice about calling the rescue ships to Mars, the main theme of the game seemed to be that corporations aren't run by idiots and even they wouldn't want an evil demon invasion.

If you're going to do a story, then do it. Angels, theological questions about Satan and God, being descended from aliens that fled to Earth, why some people become zombies and others aren't summoned by the rapture thingy. Just go for it.

While Doom 3's storyline was pretty simple, I still think it worked well for what we were given in the game. I thought they did really well with Doom 3, I can see that my love for things that everybody complains about is going to cause a lot of problems here

He'll be quite distraught when he finds out Doom's story has no potential :)

Dectilon:
He'll be quite distraught when he finds out Doom's story has no potential :)

Truth.

Don't buy a game by id for a story. If they manage to make it cool, I'll be impressed. I can hope, but to be realistic, it will probably fail in that department but still sell because it's Doom.

Also, another movie would be good if they took the last 8 minutes of the first movie and made it the whole thing.

Valiance:

Also, another movie would be good if they took the last 8 minutes of the first movie and made it the whole thing.

Yeah, cutting it down to eight minutes WOULD be an improvement!

xitel:

It does according to Wikipedia. Basically scientists open ports to hell on Mars and demons come out. You are a space marine on a planet and must fight through the demons to get home. Brilliant writing.

Though what about Duke Nukem Forever id?

Dommyboy:

xitel:

It does according to Wikipedia. Basically scientists open ports to hell on Mars and demons come out. You are a space marine on a planet and must fight through the demons to get home. Brilliant writing.

Duke Nukem was developed by 3D realms.

Valiance:

Dommyboy:

xitel:

Duke Nukem was developed by 3D realms.

Ah, my mistake then.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or