47% of Australian Gamers Are Female

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

There is a difference between a gamer and a games enthusiast.

Games are games, even the crummy ones. As a gamer myself, I'd probably rather play Bejeweled or Angry Birds over something like, say, Duke Nukem Forever or Superman 64...

Not everyone has to play Dark Souls to be a gamer.

ron1n:

It's like a lot of things though. You'll see some person wearing a band tee with the 'metal' look when in reality they often only listen to like 2-4 mainstream metal bands and aren't really into it otherwise.

It's not 'faking' it's more just a case of people who identify with the look and culture more than the actual pass time, which is fine.

Would you call such a person a "metalhead"? Would it make you a $DEMOGRAPHIC_CATEGORY-ist to suggest that such a person is not a metalhead, even if they photograph themselves in that outfit with the caption "I am *such* a metalhead!!"?

CardinalPiggles:
In fairness, you're still a driver, the same as someone who plays games is a gamer.

Worth noting that until fairly recently, "gamer" was more analogous with "movie buff" than "moviegoer", only really changing in anyone's minds as geeky subcultures became the new trendy thing. That is to say that just a few years ago, calling someone who only plays solitaire on their work PC during their lunch break "not a gamer" would not have been a problem to anyone, now it's whatever-that-person-is-ism to even suggest it.

Oh hey, it's this discussion again. Most women who play games play casual/mobile games, therefore they're not "real gamers". Never mind that in this day and age that's probably true of men to.

We really need to move into a more descriptive term for enthusiasts. Like "movie buff" or at least an analogue for "couch potato" :P

Women who play smartphone games are very much real gamers. Hell you try topping some of those scores. Holy hell! I played the entirety of what I assume is the original Angry Birds (Because I believe in getting to know something that I prefer to hate) And I enjoyed it enough to beat every core level and a few of the bonus area levels completely and entirely.

And I said, wow, that was kind of fun.

Then tried some of the star wars stuff, and said, wow, this is getting kind crap.

Yet it keeps attracting a much wider female audience.

Now let's assume an unrealistic statistic. That all 24% of farmville players were all women. And that the 15% online role playing crowd was also all female. That leaves literally 8% of female gamers being console players or PC gamers.

Now this assumes a ton of course, but let's face it, while social network games, and MMOs have female presence of female characters in some factor or another, most of the characters found in these games are not characters, but rather avatars representations of self, not actual characters in and of themselves.

I asked a couple of female video game players what it would take to get them to play a zombie game like Resident Evil, or an FPS like CoD or Halo.

Female playable characters "with" So not just female playable characters, but an added bonus, well developed character and story.

Sounds reasonable. Except the last time I played a game like that was an RPG. I've played many a zombie game, and many a FPS, but a well developed story for a zombie game or FPS not so much. Even with a playable female character in the Dead Rising series, would not a well developed story or character be present. Capcom, I love ya, but your story telling is really meh.

Assuming what I have gleaned off female gamers I have talked to, to be true, they want something that pretty much male gamers don't even have from their characters, to get them into games they currently are not interested in, and RPG's seem to fall completely off their radars at times despite having that story and background they seem to be craving, and often the representation they are looking for as well.

But yeah, women who play games like Angry Birds, they're gamers. I've seen those scores. Yes, they're gamers.

What we can make to truly appeal to them to get them to buy into the other genres is a whole different beast.

When I saw the link, I was wondering how many posts until someone tried to bring up the issue of 'real gamers." To my surprise, it was the article itself.

Drummodino:
Can someone tell me where these female Australian gamers are? I'd love to meet some of them, but they seem a lot less common than us male Aussie gamers. I think I met one female gamer when I lived in a college boarding house out of about 215 residents. In contrast there were at least a dozen men I'd call serious gamers, and many more FIFA/COD etc players.

Women might not be as forthcoming about their habits for a number of reasons. There's a social stigma against women gaming, and there's one from within gaming, too. There's harassment, antipathy, resentment and outright anger at girls being allowed in the treehouse. A large number of women say they actively hide their gender because of the way gaming treats them.

You see all these on The Escapist: testimonials of women who have at the least been told they don't fit and at most have been harassed the to point they hide their identities.

It's also been posted here many times that the most popular games with women tend to be the same games men play. Anecdotally, The Escapist population would back that up.

Maybe the question shouldn't be "where are all the females?" but "why do we expect them to be open when the males behave like hateful, childish dicks around them?"

I'm surprised there are so many women gamers, but only for the same reason I'm surprised there are so many gay Republicans, not because you don't personally see them around.

Drummodino:
Can someone tell me where these female Australian gamers are? I'd love to meet some of them, but they seem a lot less common than us male Aussie gamers. I think I met one female gamer when I lived in a college boarding house out of about 215 residents. In contrast there were at least a dozen men I'd call serious gamers, and many more FIFA/COD etc players.

Obviously this survey included a lot of casual smartphone/social media gamers. If we were to just include "hardcore" gamers (for lack of a better term), I think the results would be very different.

I know a few female gamers and no they don't play casual games. These are people that play L4D2, C&C, Warcraft 3, etc etc with the rest of us. Part of the reason I always found this whole "there's no such thing as a female gamer" so bloody strange. Glad to see the stats showing our group isn't the only one.

Zachary Amaranth:
Women might not be as forthcoming about their habits for a number of reasons. There's a social stigma against women gaming, and there's one from within gaming, too. There's harassment, antipathy, resentment and outright anger at girls being allowed in the treehouse. A large number of women say they actively hide their gender because of the way gaming treats them.

Interesting and sadly quite true point (at least in the general internet community). It's utterly stupid for a form of media to not only be seen as male only but to also harass and bully those that do have an interest in it. Think how stupid it'd be if only men watched movies, only women read books and only kids could listen to music.

As someone that usually plays 50-60 hours of games a week. If I was ever part of one of these studies and they asked "Do you call yourself a gamer?" I'd probably tell them "Fuck no, games are shit." Not for any reason other than that the gamer label has an unsavory image to it that I don't identify with it.

I have a job, I enjoy the sunlight and I shave my beard daily. And 90% of all games these days are pretty shit and the number is getting higher.

Ah, but are they *face contorts into a disgusted look* casual gamers or *lights up a smoke all cool an' shit* HARDCORE!?

Schadrach:

Worth noting that until fairly recently, "gamer" was more analogous with "movie buff" than "moviegoer", only really changing in anyone's minds as geeky subcultures became the new trendy thing. That is to say that just a few years ago, calling someone who only plays solitaire on their work PC during their lunch break "not a gamer" would not have been a problem to anyone, now it's whatever-that-person-is-ism to even suggest it.

When I was growing up, people who played a video game for five minutes were called a gamer without controversy. The concept of a "casual gamer" would have been ridiculous. The pushback seems to be headed back towards where it started in the first place. People complaining that a word is being culturally appropriated after they culturally appropriated it are really strange.

Ratty:
Oh hey, it's this discussion again. Most women who play games play casual/mobile games, therefore they're not "real gamers". Never mind that in this day and age that's probably true of men to.

But that's different because ponies.

Stupid survey.

I'm not some hardcore gamer and I honestly don't care about who is a gamer and who isn't, nor do I identify myself as a "gamer" eventhough I play a lot of games, but even I can tell that there's a difference between a "gamer" and someone who likes to play games on their mobile phone every once in a while (which is exactly where that ridiculous statistic comes from).
Not every person who plays farmville or angry birds can be called a gamer. That's, in my eyes, an entirely different industry. These sorts of people have absolutely nothing to do with the actual console/PC gaming industry (which spits out games of an entirely different caliber than say... Flappy Bird), and that's why people get "defensive" over this subject.

It's the difference between someone who plays soccer multiple times a week or even daily as a hobby or a profession, and someone who plays football during the break of school because there's nothing better to do.
Would you call the latter a soccer player? Ofcourse not.

This is not about who you are going to call "a gamer", but about statistics that have no substance, because there's no distinction made between these two groups of people.

Zachary Amaranth:
snip

RicoADF:
snip

Woah, woah, woah I'm sorry if what I said was offensive or inappropriate, I honestly didn't intend it to be. I genuinely meant it when I said that I would like to meet some female Aussie gamers (IRL, not on sites like these) that play similar games to me, not just mobile/social media games. I was just sharing my personal experience in that I have not met many at all compared to their male counterparts.

I have no problem with females enjoying my hobby, hell I wished more did. None of my close female friends do, whereas many of my male friends do.

Drummodino:

Obviously this survey included a lot of casual smartphone/social media gamers. If we were to just include "hardcore" gamers (for lack of a better term), I think the results would be very different.

I've worked with guys for years who didn't know I gamed regularly until the subject came up.

My suggestion, when you're talking with girls, bring up gaming and see if they bite or get a blank look on their face. I'd say there's a better chance you finding a girl who plays games as you would finding a girl that's a sports junkie. Like other hobbies people think as male-dominated, we're out there, you just have to ask.

I will admit, I have girl-gamer friends online I've played with for years but not one girlfriend in the area who games like I do. But then again, I don't really talk about it, so I'm in the same boat.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/5410

In a Gamefaqs poll of 38691 people, just 7.58% claimed to be female.

Broken down for Australia, 8.09% were female, which is a lot less than the 47% this poll is claiming.

There's quite a big contrast between the results of the two polls, so I wonder which source is more accurate and shows truer representation of the Games industry as a whole.

Is the industry already on the right course with it's male centric AAA games, or does it need to start focusing on more Social Media apps and family friendly activites?

I think both polls are heavily skewed towards showing the results based on the types of people they target, so it stands to reason that a poll from a old gaming website would show a male dominated results, while a poll of households that includes Facebook games at the most popular gaming genre would show a stronger female presence.

Drummodino:

Woah, woah, woah I'm sorry if what I said was offensive or inappropriate, I honestly didn't intend it to be. I genuinely meant it when I said that I would like to meet some female Aussie gamers (IRL, not on sites like these) that play similar games to me, not just mobile/social media games. I was just sharing my personal experience in that I have not met many at all compared to their male counterparts.

I have no problem with females enjoying my hobby, hell I wished more did. None of my close female friends do, whereas many of my male friends do.

I don't know about Zachary but I didn't take your post as offensive, just surprised you don't know any. Guess it's the luck of the draw as to weather you meet a woman willing to admit she plays games.

Tigerlily Warrior:
My suggestion, when you're talking with girls, bring up gaming and see if they bite or get a blank look on their face. I'd say there's a better chance you finding a girl who plays games as you would finding a girl that's a sports junkie. Like other hobbies people think as male-dominated, we're out there, you just have to ask.

I have tried talking about games with girls before and I usually get the blank face reaction, or they try and shift the conversation to another topic. Apart from the one girl I mentioned in my post, the most I ever found was a girl who played Plants vs Zombies. I guess I'm just unlucky, but I've never had a problem finding a guy to discuss gaming with.

RicoADF:
I don't know about Zachary but I didn't take your post as offensive, just surprised you don't know any. Guess it's the luck of the draw as to weather you meet a woman willing to admit she plays games.

Ah, my apologies for the confusion. I was just afraid you'd interpreted my post as being anti-women gamers.

Drummodino:

I was merely pointing to the factors that may be in play. There's no reason to infer specific offense here. I mean, I find the overall treatment to be offensive, but that's neither here nor there.

Jamash:

Broken down for Australia, 8.09% were female, which is a lot less than the 47% this poll is claiming.

Ahhh, GameFAQs, the height of polling accuracy. I mean, seriously, even their own site takes issue with the polling results.

Ratty:

We really need to move into a more descriptive term for enthusiasts. Like "movie buff" or at least an analogue for "couch potato" :P

To be fair, the men who fit into the casual market alone would also not be called "real gamers" by the same people saying that of the women.

It's a problem of definition as to a lot of people on websites like this "gamer" implies someone to be a fully into the hobby as opposed to the meaning it's taken on for surveys like this which are about as effective in demographic research as asking "do you watch television?"

Zachary Amaranth:

Jamash:

Ahhh, GameFAQs, the height of polling accuracy. I mean, seriously, even their own site takes issue with the polling results.

How inaccurate can a simple binary poll be?

I know there's no required proof and technically you could have some people claiming to be female when they're male, or some females claiming to be males, and I know that technically you could use proxies to cast more than one vote, but do you really think that this is what happened in this case?

Drummodino:

I know a decent amount of gamer girls around here, and honestly, most gamer girls I know don't like to make their gamer-habits public because asshats tend to be sexist asshats towards them and do the bullshit 'Hurr durr yurr nurrt a ruul gumurr' as opposed to actually interacting with them like a real human being.

Hell, I've gone over to a female friends house and been surprised by the fact that she owned a 360 and all the COD games - she just never spoke about it because she'd always get challenged about her interest in the series, wheras with guys they'd be considered a 'gamer' just by playing it.

So, you know, they do exist and are more common than you'd think - they just don't show it because assholes abound.

Yosharian:
24% of gamers play social network games (i.e. Facebook games). Vast majority, say 20% of that 24%, are almost certainly female. So 20% of the total percentage of 'gamers' are female and playing Farmville.

Combine this with the '47% female gamers' statistic.

I'll willing to bet that out of that 47% female gamers, a significant amount are extreme-casual i.e. consider themselves gamers because they play Angry Birds. It's not outlandish to presume that 20% of them are playing what gamers wouldn't even consider to be real games.

That leaves an actual 27% to be playing what are considered actual games, and I'd bet quite a lot of those are very casual in the manner in which they play (i.e. 1 hour every weekend of Zelda or whatever). Again, not outlandish to consider than 10% or so probably don't game seriously in any way.

Which leaves us with 17% of this 47% being actual gamers in this sense:

Which is about what I figured. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can tell you that half the gaming population is not female.

Of course, you can apply the same methodology to male gamers, but I think in the case of men, most of them play more serious games than Farmville.

The question here is, what constitutes a gamer? Time put into the game? Complexity of the game? Skill in the game? Do they become a gamer once they do the gamer ritual and sacrifice a Gamecube to the PC Gods?

Other questions include - are you a serious gamer if you only play FIFA or CoD? Lord knows I know some blokes who play CoD but aren't 'Gamers', because they play it in a similar vein as Facebook games; it's a thing to pass the time, but no serious investment in it.

My personal favorite - Are Girl gamers and Guy Gamers being held to the same level of judgement when it comes to 'serious' gaming? As I mentioned in my reply to Drummodino above, my female friend who plays CoD is constantly challenged about her gamerness whenever she slips up and lets idiots know about it, whereas male 'gamers' are often assumed to be gamers because they play 'serious' games extremely casually. Would this be skewing the results in any way, shape or form?

Now, as you said that 47% of female gamers would include people who do just play Facebook games for 5-10 minutes a week, but I would challenge the assumption that you could trim those numbers back to 17% while at the same time making the claim of male gamers being more numerous due to playing more 'serious' games. If anything I'd bump that number up to 25-30%ish (due to the nature of many gamer girls hiding their gamerness) and dock about 15-20% from the Male gamer percentage as well (if we're not including extreme casual gamers).

I'd also throw out the question - are male gamers playing more 'serious' games due to the fact that the industry is focused more on appealing to the male player base than the female player base? If so, should we then stop not classifying casual games as 'games' when they're often played because they appeal to both genders equally instead of throwing around horribly sexist content and alienating one gender entirely?

Setting aside the definition of 'gamer,' I find these findings similar to the US statistics of gamers. Of course I may be mistaken but I wanna say close to 50% of gamers are female and the average age is late 20s to early 30s. Which reflect this article.

Jamash:

Zachary Amaranth:

Jamash:

How inaccurate can a simple binary poll be?

I know there's no required proof and technically you could have some people claiming to be female when they're male, or some females claiming to be males, and I know that technically you could use proxies to cast more than one vote, but do you really think that this is what happened in this case?

The inaccuracy of the poll is due to the nature of the audience as opposed to the poll itself - the assumption that the audience of GameFAQS somehow perfectly reflects the nature of the gamer population is a flawed assumption too. Also the idea that everyone votes in the GameFAQs polls (been using the site for something like 7 years, never voted once)...

So, you know. There's a lot of inaccuracies with a simple binary poll. Namely, everything influencing the poll itself.

I really hope they don't eschew traditional genres of gaming to focus on casual and social gaming. That would suck something fierce.

I feel this poll shouldn't be taken at all seriously, the many flaws and inaccuracies are showing the unreliability of the end results.

008Zulu:
"Gamers" is an umbrella term meaning anyone who plays (computer) games. Like any genus, there are species; Casual, hardcore, etc.

People who play Farmville a few minutes everyday have the right to call themselves a gamer as much as someone who plays Halo for 8 hours.

I wouldn't call myself a soccer player if I only played from time to time with my friends. That's basically the same.
If not, a destinction between casual and "hardcore" gamers seems necessary to me. Hypothetically speaking if my mother played Minesweeper an hour every day, would that make her a gamer? Is she a part of game culture? I don't think so. Esentially though the destinction between casual and "hardcore" can be never a clear boundary, just like high and low culture.

Shanicus:
The question here is, what constitutes a gamer? Time put into the game? Complexity of the game? Skill in the game? Do they become a gamer once they do the gamer ritual and sacrifice a Gamecube to the PC Gods?

In my opinion: a mixture of those things, and other things.

I agree that that is the question, though.

Shanicus:
Other questions include - are you a serious gamer if you only play FIFA or CoD? Lord knows I know some blokes who play CoD but aren't 'Gamers', because they play it in a similar vein as Facebook games; it's a thing to pass the time, but no serious investment in it.

Depends on how often you play those games. If you own your own Xbox and you regularly play FIFA, then yeah you're a gamer. If you occasionally play FIFA while at your mate's house but otherwise aren't interested, then no.

Shanicus:
My personal favorite - Are Girl gamers and Guy Gamers being held to the same level of judgement when it comes to 'serious' gaming? As I mentioned in my reply to Drummodino above, my female friend who plays CoD is constantly challenged about her gamerness whenever she slips up and lets idiots know about it, whereas male 'gamers' are often assumed to be gamers because they play 'serious' games extremely casually. Would this be skewing the results in any way, shape or form?

Are girl gamers and guy gamers being held to the same level of judgement by society? Girl gamers are 'cute' and 'empowering themselves'. Guy gamers are 'losers', 'manchildren', 'little boys who haven't grown up'. Society likes to look down on male gamers.

So are they held to the same level of judgement when it comes to serious gaming? No. Why would they be? 'Society' is fickle, shallow and narrow-minded.

Shanicus:
Now, as you said that 47% of female gamers would include people who do just play Facebook games for 5-10 minutes a week, but I would challenge the assumption that you could trim those numbers back to 17% while at the same time making the claim of male gamers being more numerous due to playing more 'serious' games. If anything I'd bump that number up to 25-30%ish (due to the nature of many gamer girls hiding their gamerness) and dock about 15-20% from the Male gamer percentage as well (if we're not including extreme casual gamers).

You're welcome to challenge my assertion but you haven't provided any reasoning as to why I should listen to your challenge.

Dock 15-20% from the male gamer percentage: you're saying that out of the 53% of male gamers included in this survey, 15-20% of that (so 7.5-10% of the total male gaming population) are casual gamers. I think that's possible - I doubt they're playing Facebook games though. Most of them are probably dudebros that dabble in the occasional game of FIFA while at a mate's house.

Shanicus:
I'd also throw out the question - are male gamers playing more 'serious' games due to the fact that the industry is focused more on appealing to the male player base than the female player base? If so, should we then stop not classifying casual games as 'games' when they're often played because they appeal to both genders equally instead of throwing around horribly sexist content and alienating one gender entirely?

Industry more focused on appealing to male player base
|
therefore
|
Male gamers are playing more serious games
|
therefore
|
Female gamers aren't playing serious games because there are no serious games for them to play

I don't think that logically follows.

A game is a game, and labelling one thing as 'game' and another as 'not-game' is irrelevant.

What is relevant is the claim that 'women are as into gaming as men are', which is what this survey is going to be used as evidence for, and which it is decidedly not evidence of.

Tentaquil:

Trishbot:
There is a difference between a gamer and a games enthusiast.

Games are games, even the crummy ones. As a gamer myself, I'd probably rather play Bejeweled or Angry Birds over something like, say, Duke Nukem Forever or Superman 64...

Not everyone has to play Dark Souls to be a gamer.

Lemme just edit a few things for you....

Trishbot:
"There is a difference between a Gamer and a 'games enthusiast'.

Casual Games aren't games, especially the crummy ones, . As a non-gamer myself, I'd probably rather play Bejeweled or Angry Birds over something like, say, Duke Nukem Forever or Superman 64 because I'm a casual.

Everyone has to play Dark Souls to be a gamer."

I know you're joking... but....

"Casual games are games (it's in the title), even the crummy ones (they're just crummy games, like Too Human and Aliens: Colonial Marines). As a HARDCORE gamer myself, I have totally played Bejeweled and Angry Birds and enjoyed them more than Duke Nukem Forever or Superman 64, but not as much as I enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles, Resident Evil Remake, or Ninja Gaiden Black, because even hardcore gamers can play casual games from time to time, just like NASCAR drivers can drive a family minivan around town.

Everyone SHOULD play Dark Souls because it's a great game. But it's not a game for everyone."

The survey means nothing since the term "gamer" was left up to the survey participant to decide on. It is therefore entirely meaningless since it could mean one of a multitude of different things depending on who was asked. I for example would not classify someone who plays "social network games" or "mobile games" as a gamer. The first of those clocked 24% so the survey is meaningless. These are people who play games certainly, but not all of them are "gamers".

Could people focus less on this artificial brought up argument of who is and who isnt a gamer please and focus more on where these % numbers actually end up in todays gaming market?

THATS the interesting question.. THATS what we could use more data of.

Who plays what game and for what reasons and more importantly how many female gamers are really interested in the tripple A market.

And the myth about compelling female protagonists?

FAT CHANCE

Those have been presented to the market before and they where all rejected kept for lara and samus.

Also Women who claim that a well developed character would get them to play zombie apocalypse number 578923 just say that to not seem shallow or to hide their lack of interest in the matter.

No masterfully crafted protagonist is gonna make you interested in a zombie shooter if youre not interested in shooting zombies. Same goes for all those zombie survival games that pop up. Look at the last of us for example.

Or dead isle (if it actually had fleshed out characters... whose trailer generated a huge interest in the game, didnt meant that tons of female gamers flocked to the stores to buy their copy. My sister who mainly plays JRPGs like the Tales or alchemist series would never play it. Nor would she play Borderlands 2 or Bioshock infinite because she doesnt care for shooters. Same for strategy games or western RPGs where you dont play other peoples story out but are more of an avatar representation of yourselfe.

So while she is a Gamer by all means she is not part of the tripple A market... cause lets face it.. the only Japanese RPGs you could call tripple A nowadays are the final fantasy games, and we all saw what it did to the poor thing. And in the JRPG market there is a surprisingly wealth of female lead characters.

The survey should've come with a particular definition for "gamer" rather than let everyone use their own definition. Otherwise what's it supposed to be gauging?

Steven Bogos:
What do you think of these kinds of surveys?

Not much as it of little consequence for the part of the industry I care about.

Steven Bogos:
These days, pretty much everyone has a smartphone capable of playing games. Everyone can be a "gamer", but that doesn't necessarily mean they subscribe to gaming culture to the same extent that "gaming enthusiasts" (such as those of you with enough interest to read a website such as The Escapist) do.

After all, I drive a car, but i'm the furthest from what you would call a "car enthusiast."

Pretty much this. I like cars yet I still don't care about the FIAT Panda...

I am a gamer.

I have played games my whole life, starting on the trash 80 and apple II, and even created them for years.

My wife would be considered a gamer by this pole. She is.....but she is a casual gamer who only plays games on her IPAD. I have, in the past, gotten her to play a few games on the Wii....and lightgun games on other systems (Elemental gearbolt being by far her (and my) favorite lightgun game).

She...is in no way....a "gamer" girl though. She has no patience for any game that takes more then 3 seconds to figure out. I couldn't get her to play an RPG or FPS if her life depended on it. Forget about platform games, the remote would be through the window in .2 seconds.

I have heard of these elusive gamer girls. I even know people who have married them (online of course, my town isn't big enough to have any of these exotic creatures). I do have many friends, and have had many many more friends, who are gamers. They are all male. Many of them are now married. None of their wives are gamers. Many of their wives play on facebook or play other casual games. In fact, many women as a whole play on facebook or casual games on IPAD and that is their only source of gaming.

That makes them casual gamers I guess....but not "gamers" as in the kind of people who go to a store and buy a gaming system, buy physical games to put into a system etc.

I wish there was more girls who enjoy gaming. I do know they exist. I have, joking aside (hard to tell humor on the internet I know) actually REALLY have seen some. I remember back in the days when I would play dance dance revolution at arcades (against dinosaurs of course), that there was one or two female players as well. It was always shocking to see them. I think I saw 1 female player at a Guitar hero competition I participated in as well. I will say that the numbers are skewed to extremes where I live....with well over 99% of gamers (as in...xbox/ps oweners/players...not even hardcore but invested in gaming as a hobby and not just as a time waster)...are male.

Now, that being said, I have seen many females SELLING games at game stores. In theory, they played games. One would at least imagine that is the case. But as far as finding actual female gamers in real life? I have not had much luck. I have always been jelous of those who have found someone of the opposite sex that enjoys their favorite hobby as well. I used to put alot of effort into finding games both me and my wife could play (Elebits on the Wii, Light gun games, bejewled...and the original plants vs zombies..which I count as a real game that she really enjoyed!). I gave up a few years ago after we got ipads as she went down a dark rabbit hole of casual games and was lost to me. I just look for new casual "candy crush, peggle etc" type games for her occasionally and throw them into her cage to keep her happy (The cage being her Ipad which has taken over her life..and not just from casual games, she's always tweeting, posting on facebook, watching youtube etc on there).

All that aside, I have always found Australian girls extremely attractive (no, my wife isn't Australian, but she also isn't on this website) so if 47% of them really played games, then perhaps Australia is actually heaven? If we kill enough enemies in games do we get sent to Australia where 7 Australian gamer girls see to our every need in between gaming sessions? Perhaps we should start a new religion?

To me there are 3 kinds of "Gamers"

Social network game players / Phone game app players
Gamers who play very few or only one genre of games, such as MMOs or sports games.
Then the hardcore gamers who play a wide variety of different genres

I bet a lot of the people who were polled are in group 1. Sure they *could* be called gamers, but there is a big difference in the Farmville/Free Game/Phone Game players, and those who buy/play a wide variety of games.

But all in all, I'll say you're a gamer if that is typically your favorite activity to do in your free time before most other things.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here