The Lego Movie Sequel Set for May 26, 2017

The Lego Movie Sequel Set for May 26, 2017

The Lego Movie has grossed over $200 million worldwide since its release on February 7.

Warner Bros. announced today that the sequel to The Lego Movie will open May 26, 2017. Screenwriters Jared Stern and Michelle Morgan will pen the yet-unnamed sequel. The Lego Movie was written and directed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who will direct the upcoming animated film Ninjago, which is based on the ninja-inspired Lego sets of the same name.

The Lego Movie has held the top box US office spot since its release on February 7. The computer-animated comedy has earned $151 million in the US, with international markets adding another $52 million. The movie is expected to continue to dominate the box office this weekend. The film opens this weekend in France and Italy, and later in Russia, Japan, Australia, and Germany.

The Lego Movie has been a big hit with critics. The Escapist's own MovieBob says, "The Lego Movie is a minor miracle. It savagely mocks clichéd chosen one narratives but comes out as its very own special snowflake of a savoir." Not everyone has kind words for the film, however. FOX Business accused the film of being "anti-capitalist" for having a CEO as the film's villain.

I'm trying to reserve judgment about a series of Lego movies, especially given how strongly the The Lego Movie itself rails against the nostalgia train of toy movies that Hollywood has been riding. Until we know more, I'll be comforting myself with the official animated bloopers reel.

Source: Variety

I can seethe corporate schmucks now.

"200 million dollars!? Make me another now!"

Wait, so not only are they doing a Lego Movie Sequel, but they're also making a Ninjago film as well?

Warner Bros. should just create a "Lego Animation Studio", and let them go nuts, if all they're going to make (Animated Film Wise) is Lego movies...

MarlaDesat:
FOX Business accused the film of being "anti-capitalist" for having a CEO as the film's villain.

Finding out that those narrow minded agenda pushers at FOX hate The Lego Movie over such a superficial detail makes me love it even more. This film is apolitical. The reason the villain is named "Lord Business" is personal, not political. And thats the most I'm willing to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet. Seriously, quit straggling and go see it.

I'm going to see it again if I get the chance. Because "everything is awesome" about this movie. And if my calculations are correct, you already hate me for putting that song back in your head.

I really don't want this to happen.

Love the movie, but it works perfectly as a one-and-done film. There is no way they can make any kind of continuation that isn't totally undermined by *that* moment in the first film's third act.

Kmadden2004:

Love the movie, but it works perfectly as a one-and-done film. There is no way they can make any kind of continuation that isn't totally undermined by *that* moment in the first film's third act.

Seconded.

It ended well. The jokes and humour worked well for what it was. But to re-hash ANYTHING for a sequel takes away from this as the gem that it is.

Well, I think that the sequel hook at the end, which was

might work.

Plus, the fact that

Kmadden2004:

I hope you don't mind all these quotes because I have a feeling you're going to be seeing them alllll night...

I second (or third it I suppose) this motion.

I have absolutely zero clue how this could become anything but a cash-grab. The movie caught lightning and is making a TON of money because of it. I don't see how they could possibly do it again and keep the same charm a second time around. I hope I'm wrong because I loved "The Lego Movie" (see my Title) and I would hate to see it get pounded into the ground.

I would like to point at the Toy Story franchise to anyone doubting a sequel could work. No one thought Toy Story could have a worthy sequel, it just wasn't possible, until Pixar upped their game and showed the hell out of naysayers.

CelestDaer:
I would like to point at the Toy Story franchise to anyone doubting a sequel could work. No one thought Toy Story could have a worthy sequel, it just wasn't possible, until Pixar upped their game and showed the hell out of naysayers.

I think the main difference between Toy Story and The LEGO Movie is that there's an actual, tangible threat in each Toy Story movie, and the characters do grow from film to film because there's is a continuing story going on from film to film.

Okay, I'm going to have to break out the spoiler tags now;

Making a sequel to all that would essentially be like telling two versions of the same joke in quick succession; It doesn't matter how well you construct that second take on the joke, people are still going to know what the punchline will be ahead of time, and it just won't be as funny.

Oh good it should be released just before the first Lego movie is released in Australia. can't wait

That's actually an encouragingly long time away. More than three years!

So yeah, why not? They shattered all expectations the first time, there's no reason to think they can't do it again.

Thommo:
Oh good it should be released just before the first Lego movie is released in Australia. can't wait

My thoughts exactly haha. April can't come fast enough!

Great, there goes my plan on buying on DVD. Now I'm going have to wait for the DVDs set/ trilogy Boxset if they made a third (in saying so I already bought Wreck-it Ralph when I've read they are planning on making a sequel)!!!

Anyway I think it could work per say since while the film did explored a mixture of old and new Lego set (especially that other set at the end) but not all of them. In saying so I don't know how it will work as a plot/ story given to that twist reveal neat the end (obviously a time skipped will happened unless it take place in a different Lego set with new and different characters). I would be interesting if they brought in the Technic set in the sequel and the film will have all my loves if they brought in a proper Bionicle cameo (and no Hero Factory doesn't count)!

Scarim Coral:
Great, there goes my plan on buying on DVD. Now I'm going have to wait for the DVDs set/ trilogy Boxset if they made a third (in saying so I already bought Wreck-it Ralph when I've read they are planning on making a sequel)!!!

Anyway I think it could work per say since while the film did explored a mixture of old and new Lego set (especially that other set at the end) but not all of them. In saying so I don't know how it will work as a plot/ story given to that twist reveal neat the end (obviously a time skipped will happened unless it take place in a different Lego set with new and different characters). I would be interesting if they brought in the Technic set in the sequel and the film will have all my loves if they brought in a proper Bionicle cameo (and no Hero Factory doesn't count)!

EiMitch:
And thats the most I'm willing to spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet. Seriously, quit straggling and go see it.

If you could fast-forward time itself and release it in Australia I will happily go watch it. Like, immediately.

...please fast-forward time and release it in Australia...

well I'm sure it'll be good, but the cat is already out of the bag, there's no undoing that, so there's no way it'll be as good as the first one, I'll still go see it though

I'm afraid I struggle to see this as anything other than a cash-grab, but it'd be nice if this pulled a Toy Story 2...

Mind you, I seem to be in a tiny minority as I really didn't think The Lego Movie was that great. I mean, I enjoyed it well enough, but I thought some of the humour fell flat (though the visual gags were consistently excellent), it all felt a bit disjointed, and despite not being overly long I really thought it dragged at the end. They had a lot of brilliant ideas, but it didn't quite come together for me.

Also, a freakin' romance subplot? Seriously??!

I'd give it 3 stars at best. Please don't hurt me :P

Why the big surprise? The first movie already screamed cash cow franchise. I don't think there's any integrity to compromise at all.

If there was ever a movie in list of those I've seen in the past decade, this one needed a sequel the least. I admit I probably would have said the same about the Lego franchise in general, so hopefully the writers can make lightning strike twice and not have studio restrictions like the upcoming Star Wars film.

Kmadden2004:

I think they could make it work, reason in spoiler below

Darren716:

Kmadden2004:

I think they could make it work, reason in spoiler below

Yeah, I've expanded on my point in an earlier post. Apologies, but I don't really want to spend ages typing out basically the exact same message again, so I'm just going to copy/paste that previous one in here (it's primarily a comparison between The LEGO Movie and the Toy Story franchise, but the point I'm making still covers your suggestion);

Uh... I got nothing...

Granted, this sequel could be as good as Toy Story 2... Then again, when Pixar announces a sequel, it's usually when we either don't expect it to happen (in context) or, given the time between said sequel and original movie, it makes sense overall...

However, given how the third act went, I would not be surprised if this sequel has little to no tangent to the original besides the whole "LEGO... LEGO everywhere" concept...

Oh... and a LEGO Ninjago movie? ...Would it be better and/or worse than the series of the same name... Otherwise, I still got nothing... Enjoy your money spending spree on the sequel... (There better be a LEGO Blu-Ray box set to come out of this in the end!)

The film was fantastic. If they can make it as good or almost as good, that would be great.
A lot of sequels are sucky though, and they have massive shoes to fill. It might be a case of Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2, apparently that isn't as good as the first and it's the same writers.

We'll see! I'll still go see it. I loved it!

I was pleasantly surprised by the first movie. In the end:

And I thought that was a pretty brilliant twist.

Not sure about sequel, but hey, at least they're not doing what Disney is doing with Planes and making a sequel set to release less than a year after the first one. (Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here