OKCupid Asks Firefox Users To Support LGBT Rights, Switch Browsers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

he's also infamous for donating $1000 to California's Proposition 8 campaign, supporting an amendment that defined marriage as solely between a man and a woman.

I feel a lot of people decided not to read that part.

Hurray, now I can continue to use Chrome and feel morally superior while doing so!

Thanks, for validating my choice of browser, Mr. Bigoted CEO Man.

viking97:

he's also infamous for donating $1000 to California's Proposition 8 campaign, supporting an amendment that defined marriage as solely between a man and a woman.

I feel a lot of people decided not to read that part.

Actually, a fair number of people have mentioned it in their replies, so yep, pretty sure they read it. ^_^

Am I a hypocrite if I refuse to eat at Chick fil e because of their anit-gay agenda but then don't switch browsers when Firefox's CEO turns out to be a homophobic jackass?

Can any other browser run all the plugins and custom scripts i run? No? Well then i dont have a choice now do i.

MorganL4:
Am I a hypocrite if I refuse to eat at Chick fil e because of their anit-gay agenda but then don't switch browsers when Firefox's CEO turns out to be a homophobic jackass?

No. Chick-stupid-name actively works against gay marriage. Firefox CEO has personal beliefs that are different but does not influence anything in his company.

Remember that prop 8 wasn't anti gay, it was anti-gay marraige.
He Could actually accept gay relationships as natural for all we know, and just believe in the 'biblical sanctity of marraige'.
I know people who have no problem with gays, they just don't want gay marriage to be called 'gay marriage' as they see marriage as a holy institution. They have no problem with gays getting all the rights of any married couples they just want it to separate to their christian institution of marraige.

people shouldn't be so judgmental based on one action. Maybe someone should try and get in contact with him and ask his opinion before crucifying him?

SourMilk:
...And what about those who seek to not give a shit? Must we embrace the spam of LGBT? I suppose nowadays you're either with them or against them.

You've managed to summarize the entire thing in one perfect sentence. In today's world, our options are ''support us or we label you a bigot and bully you to submission and run you out of business''

-A bakery in America was literally shut down with mafia tactics because they didn't want to support a gay wedding out of religious belief, even though they recommended other shops that would
-Riot police in Paris attacked peaceful protestors and used tear gas on children and the elderly
-Gay activists hurl feces at German parents protesting pro-gay school curriculum.

RJ 17:
When you boycott a company based purely upon the personal beliefs of the person in charge, I believe you're being hypocritical. You're discriminating against the company purely because the person in charge holds a different belief than yours. You're essentially using the exact same argument that the Bush administration used for those people protesting the war: "If you're not totally in support of this war, you might as well be rooting for the terrorists." Sorry, I didn't realize that I was no longer allowed to have a personal opinion. Just because someone disagrees with boycotting a company based on the CEO's personal beliefs does not mean they agree with or condone said beliefs. Just because I'm not out on the streets demanding gay-rights doesn't mean I believe that gays shouldn't have rights.

Bush was RIGHT! By not supporting the Wars promoted by a democratic leader you are fundamentally going against the concept of democracy and the nation. And that is FINE! You do not have to support the state as it is, much like you do not have to support a company as it is, but at the same time support the country/company as it could be. There is no hypocrisy here. The argument that you can go against the executive+congress+senate+supreme court+ by extension the American people and their votes, and say that you support the country is silly, you support the concept of the country without the very democratic system that is fundamentally it's nervous system and brain. America without the system is a meaningless empty concept that you can put whatever ideas you want into. The "No real Scotsmen" fallacy comes into play here, we can just call it "that's not really America(n)"

Again though, it is fine to be against your country when you think it is doing wrong. Too many of us are obsessed with the idea that you must be patriotic at all times to the point where we turn our opposition and sedition into patriotism when it's really not. And I say this as someone who is not even American, as we do it here in Israel all the time and I saw similar things in Canada when I lived there. My favourite argument was "Harper is ruining the country" when Harper was voted more then enough times into power and therefore represents the very will of the country.

Kliever:

SourMilk:
...And what about those who seek to not give a shit? Must we embrace the spam of LGBT? I suppose nowadays you're either with them or against them.

You've managed to summarize the entire thing in one perfect sentence. In today's world, our options are ''support us or we label you a bigot and bully you to submission and run you out of business''

-A bakery in America was literally shut down with mafia tactics because they didn't want to support a gay wedding out of religious belief, even though they recommended other shops that would
-Riot police in Paris attacked peaceful protestors and used tear gas on children and the elderly
-Gay activists hurl feces at German parents protesting pro-gay school curriculum.

You know this is actually an interesting point. I think what it amounts to is that even if one has the moral high ground in a given case, there are lines that you still shouldn't cross. I think the figures in history that understood this properly recognized that there are limits to how far you can go just swimming up stream. And that you have to sometimes follow the current and go for little victories, and little buy little those little victories will win out in the big picture.

In other words, Pick your battles. It makes no sense to go after every single person who doesn't share your belief. It's inherent inefficiency aside, your message will get lost along the way and you'll end up exhausting even your allies or worse, you'll create a movement against you that just hates you and doesn't care what your point is. All advocates walk that line.

Take global warming. Al Gore once blamed republicans for global warming and in doing so created a political party angle to an other wise completely science based problem. In other words, there are people who are climate skeptics because Al Gore had to make some jokes at his opponents expense. Of course it would take the LGBT community a bit more of an extreme out burst (perhaps a violent riot etc) to achieve that same kind of irrational opposition however it's important to take care and consider the big picture.

The goal is equal rights, and cultural acceptance, not catharsis.

LOL, ah they actually list Internet Explorer as an alternative browser, such silly people.

Brendan Eich can eat a dick for all I care but I'm not changing browsers, Firefox is the only browser that has all the attachments I need.

They have the right spirit, but this is just not gonna work.

Why should I be concerned with a company's CEO's political views? The browser is not coded by his political views, it's coded be the company's employees. The fact that somebody once supported something that somebody else doesn't like should not be a valid reason for people to abandon a project that has absolutely nothing to do technically with that event. I have absolutely nothing against LGBT, I'm all for human equality all over the world, but I won't switch from a browser I actually like just because somebody did something someone else didn't like.

Kameburger:

Kliever:

SourMilk:

You know this is actually an interesting point. I think what it amounts to is that even if one has the moral high ground in a given case, there are lines that you still shouldn't cross. I think the figures in history that understood this properly recognized that there are limits to how far you can go just swimming up stream. And that you have to sometimes follow the current and go for little victories, and little buy little those little victories will win out in the big picture.

In other words, Pick your battles. It makes no sense to go after every single person who doesn't share your belief. It's inherent inefficiency aside, your message will get lost along the way and you'll end up exhausting even your allies or worse, you'll create a movement against you that just hates you and doesn't care what your point is. All advocates walk that line.

Take global warming. Al Gore once blamed republicans for global warming and in doing so created a political party angle to an other wise completely science based problem. In other words, there are people who are climate skeptics because Al Gore had to make some jokes at his opponents expense. Of course it would take the LGBT community a bit more of an extreme out burst (perhaps a violent riot etc) to achieve that same kind of irrational opposition however it's important to take care and consider the big picture.

The goal is equal rights, and cultural acceptance, not catharsis.

You make a very good case. Just wish more people would realise that. You can't bully your way into acceptance. Doesn't matter what the topic is. Another problem is how many people strive to be some sort of Martyr in any way they can. They'll actually even fake the events just to gain support.. Knew a guy in high school who was bisexual but always kept picking fights with anyone who didn't agree with him. If he lost or fucked with the wrong guy, he would take pictures of his bruises and try to accuse the other guy of a homophobic attack.Sad thing is, that trick actually managed to get some lads suspended.

Not only is it despicable, but it actually mocks people who really were victims.

Oh! I'll switch back to Firefox then.

Oh noes!

A company built (in part) on recognising equality for gay people doesn't like a company run by a homophobe, and politely asks people if they'll consider using someone else's free products. The gays are taking over! The hypocrisy of wanting equality but not liking people trying to force inequality on others is staggering!

This has gone much too far, the gay panic defence probably won't get you off scot free from a murder, so obviously there is no more homophobia left. Gay people should just sit around and not make a fuss and wait until people feel like no discriminating against them anymore.

So, I might be taking the wrong lesson from all of this, but...a 1000 USD donation? Certainly, it's a lot of money to just throw away, and I strongly disagree with the political and social views that led him to donate the money, but in the grand scheme of things it seems pretty harmless. That's, like, what Flappy Bird earned every half-hour or so.

In any case, I'm not sure what my feelings on all of this are. On the one hand, he has the right to believe whatever he wants, and considering his new promotion, he'll probably shut up about it, too (Lest he lose his job).

On the other hand, I can't say I wish to support him, either.

I think I'll withhold judgement until he either does something stupid (Which would, again, probably get him fired) or I forget.

(The point is moot; I use Chrome.)

thaluikhain:
Oh noes!

A company built (in part) on recognising equality for gay people doesn't like a company run by a homophobe, and politely asks people if they'll consider using someone else's free products. The gays are taking over! The hypocrisy of wanting equality but not liking people trying to force inequality on others is staggering!

This has gone much too far, the gay panic defence probably won't get you off scot free from a murder, so obviously there is no more homophobia left. Gay people should just sit around and not make a fuss and wait until people feel like no discriminating against them anymore.

So will you accept as nicely a proposition to switch a browser because new CEO of a company that releases it is gay?

No, dating site I don't care/didn't know about before this, I will not switch browsers because someone else's viewpoint disagrees with yours.

Rastrelly:
So will you accept as nicely a proposition to switch a browser because new CEO of a company that releases it is gay?

No.

Being gay, and hating gay people and wanting them to have less rights aren't equivalent sides of an argument.

Well either this is an april fools troll or just a general "OMG look at my agenda" troll, either way the choice of my browser doesn't hinge on those and never will.

SourMilk:

Quoted for truth.

I couldn't care less what the CEO of Firefox donates to. I use FF and I didn't even know there was a change.

I can see how switching browsers might hurt Microsoft or Google (less data for them to analyse and make money off), but Mozilla is a non-profit organisation. Whether you use Firefox or not, they're not making any money, so how can a boycott hurt them? I don't think these people have thought things through very well.

People don't care since they are interested in the product and not the guy's views. Seriously LGBT community is becoming more obnoxious keep this up and many people who support you will simply stop giving a damn.

Umm, sooo? Dudes, it's just a browser. Telling people not to use it because of one guy's views is like telling people not to wear underwear because its initial creator was racist. It's just petty and unnecessary, especially since it's just a browser.

MarsAtlas:

[Smack-down intensifies]

Zachary Amaranth:

[smackdown intensifies]

You. I like you. Let's get gay-married.

But why should i care if 1 person out of - how many work at mozilla? - many people has an immoral opinion?
Do i have to boycott EVERY company where at least 1 person has anti-whatever views?

So basically i'm screwed and can't shop ANYwhere because it could be that i'd support someone who holds such views.
Sorry, that line of thinking is just not applicable in real life. And whatever this guy does in his personal life has nothing to do with Mozilla as a company.

What a load of bull.

OkCupid is the intolerant one here, pushing the false mantra of "equality" and accusing someone of "DENY love and instead enforce MISERY, SHAME and frustration are our ENEMIES..." simply for being reasonable about marriage. Assholes.

Opposing the irrational nonsense of same-sex "marriage" is not against yours, or anyone else's, human rights: get over it.
But that of course doesn't stop ACTUAL intolerant bigots from accusing those that disagree with them of a MENTAL ILLNESS for standing their ground in support of sanity.

Bah!

Kliever:

SourMilk:

[citations desperately needed]

And by "citations" I mean "credible news sites".

HEY! I SAID CREDIBLE!

SourMilk:

Don't you know? It's gaming news! Just like these global warming updates.

double post.

joshuaayt:
Proposition 8 was despicable- as is anyone who supported it.
And this guy didn't just support it internally, it wasn't just a part of him- he took action, and supported it with his wallet.

So, fuck him. You're allowed to believe whatever the fuck you want, but the second you're actively helping efforts to hurt innocent people, you become indefensible.

NO, someone is NOT despicable because he holds views different from yours - and pushing to retain marriage as something which is inherently related to procreation does NOT hurt innocent people.

This specific opinion of yours is indefensible, not otherwise - Mozilla's CEO should be proud of his support for Prop8.

Hell no! I'm sticking with Firefox until I die. It's stuff like this that make people not take boycotting seriously.

james.sponge:
People don't care since they are interested in the product and not the guy's views. Seriously LGBT community is becoming more obnoxious keep this up and many people who support you will simply stop giving a damn.

BigTuk:
So let me get this straight. They want me to switch browsers because 1 guy that works on the team; did something they don't like 'Not something wrong mind you, just something they didn't like'. Wow,. You'd thing the LBGT community would be a little more open minded and tolerant in regards to people of differing values and opinions...

DoctorM:
So apparently the LGBT community is intolerant of views different from their own.
That's pretty damn ironic.

Wait, so because a single company with a vested issue has suggested soemthing you disagree with, the LGBT community are at fault?

Is OKDating owned by everysingle person who is LGBT? You're putting the blame in entirely the wrong place, most likely because of your own prejudice.

Yeah, I don't give a fuck about LGBT. In so saying, I state that I am of an indifferent opinion until shit like this gets thrown out. I DO NOT care about them one way or another.. but its the fact that they think they NEED me to care that pisses me off.

OT: Who cares what one guy thinks? He's allowed to stand on whatever side of the fence he wants and is neither good nor evil for his views, regardless of whatever liberal self-righteousness any of his opponents may have. And as a guy already said: the CEO's opinion doesn't turn your computer into a homosexual hate machine.

Did the COMPANY issue anti-gay actions or speeches? No.

Did the CEO use his position to spread his anti-gay views? No.

Are the company supporting the CEO's actions? No.

Are this specific group of LGBT members blaming the COMPANY for the actions of an INDIVIDUAL? Yes.

Is this going to get someone fired because neither side wants to have a reasonable debate? Probably.

Should someone be fired for personal beliefs? Hell no!

Is this going to strengthen anti-gay views by making the entire group look like petty professional complainers? Quite likely.

Is this all just a publicity stunt for another company that probably doesn't care about anything but the bottom line and is clearly going to gain from the stunt? Definitely.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here