Microsoft's Greenberg Says Sony Is "Out Of Touch"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Microsoft's Greenberg Says Sony Is "Out Of Touch"

In response to Kaz Hirai's recent comment that the Xbox 360 lacks "longevity," Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg stuck his tongue out and said, "Nyah nyah."

No, he didn't actually say that, but he did point out what he sees as a flaw in Hirai's argument in Official PlayStation Magazine that Sony would eventually emerge as the dominant player in the videogame industry despite bringing up the rear in current-gen console sales. "This sounds like an old hardware company that's comfortable with its market position," Greenberg, the director of product management for the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, told The Bitbag. "That complacent attitude is out of touch with where the industry and consumer is today."

Also out of touch, apparently, is the idea that the best hardware will necessarily be the most successful product, a point driven home with perhaps a touch of irony by the Nintendo Wii. "This generation won't be won over just hardware specs, but who can out-innovate when it comes to online and software," he continued. "This is the kind of stuff that's in our DNA, and frankly moves the console war onto our home court."

The "console war" between the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, that is. Like a schoolyard bully who doesn't get invited to birthday parties because he won't stop beating up on the smaller kids, Nintendo finds itself essentially excluded from the tussle between Microsoft and Sony.

"I'm confident we will outsell the PS3 throughout the entire generation by providing more innovation and building the best and broadest games library while growing our entertainment experiences on the leading online network," Greenberg said. "With a U.S. install base lead now of more than 7 million units (according to NPD), I can't imagine any scenario where the PS3 can catch up with us. In fact, even if you doubled the current PS3 sales and Xbox 360 remained flat, they couldn't close the gap until 2014."

Which, interestingly, is the year VentureBeat predicted the Wii will surpass the PlayStation 2 as the best-selling console of all time.

But isn't this all getting a little tiresome? Sony babbles about superior hardware, Microsoft bleats about higher sales and fanboys on both sides of the fence explode with rage, but ultimately, so what? Both companies are pushing forward with plans they believe are the best for the industry, and unlike past years when the gamer demographic was far tighter, most analysts agree that it's possible for two or even three major consoles - which is to say, all of them - to survive and thrive in today's market. So why is it necessary to keep shooting spitballs at one another from across the room?

via: EuroGamer

In response to both Microsoft and Sony's stupidly broad statements, I Pedro Steckecilo invoke the spirit of Emperor Palpatine as he appears in Joe Loves Crappy Movies...

All together now...

Uhhhhhhh Duuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh!

(Roughly Translates To: Yeah pretty much what we expected, no suprises here, same old same old)

What I like about those whole article is the final paragraph (Not saying the rest was bad, mind you).

I can't understand why people make such a big deal over stuff like this. I can understand the employees of Microsoft and Sony making a big deal about it, since it's their job and livelihood. But why consumers? I'm pretty sure there isn't anything in the 'Terms of Use' that talks about singing the corporate anthem with gusto.

I really liked the analogy of a school playground, since people just have to grow up.

Boy, this bickering between these 2 companies makes me laugh. Eventually, Microsoft will respond by saying "well, my dad can beat up your dad!", and then sony will give xbox a wedgie, resulting in detention for the 2 until they can sort out their disagreements in a civilized manner.

Malygris:

The "console war" between the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, that is. Like a schoolyard bully who doesn't get invited to birthday parties because he won't stop beating up on the smaller kids, Nintendo finds itself essentially excluded from the tussle between Microsoft and Sony.

A fine analogy, sir. That's definetly how the companies and the fanboys are seeing it, anyway.

Malygris:
So why is it necessary to keep shooting spitballs at one another from across the room?

Because it's fun to watch. Though it's not nearly as great as "Genesis does what Nintendon't".

SEGA!

Rofl... nice article... especially since all 3 consoles become crappier with each new generation. A couple of spoiled brats roughing each other up on the school yard while the grown up are doing the real stuff ( aka playing where games are supposed to be: on the PC :P )

I think I remember a time when I cared about company mudslinging. It was about the age of 14 when I didn't know any better. That was a looong time ago.

I'm kind of mildly apathetic now and like any good brit, only look forward to the latest Sony/Microsoft spat so I can have a bloody good complain about it.

Open combat. I love it. I think Kaz could take Aaron any day of the week in an open bar brawl. More so if pool cues are present.

YEEEEEEAH SLAPFIGHT!

I do have this mental image of the two Geeks-in-Chief windmilling away ineffectually at each other while the rest of the playground stands by, watching and laughing. (And, as pointed out above, as Nintendo keeps gathering in the lunch money.)

Sad, sad indeed that multi-billion-revenue companies are resorting to this.

-- Steve

Innovation??? Who does he think he's kidding? The wii has the only thing even remotely innovative in the current gen. I think they're just bickering for our entertainment now and are actually good friends.

Screw this, can't we just have them fight to the death? It would make a great and unique way of ending the console war

I'm gonna slap slap slap ya for disrespecting me~

Great, first sony now Microsoft.

Malygris:
In response to Kaz Hirai's recent comment that the Xbox 360 lacks "longevity," Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg stuck his tongue out and said, "Nyah nyah."

That's pretty much what the console war is about. It's a pissing competition between Sony and Microsoft that Nintendo are winning.

Radelaide:

Malygris:

That's pretty much what the console war is about. It's a pissing competition between Sony and Microsoft that Nintendo are winning.

It's quite funny to think that Microsoft and Sony developed these big expensive high-end consoles and they are being beaten in sales by a console which looks like a CD drive and has far lower specs. This makes me chuckle.

Microsoft's best response would of been to laugh it off and ignore it... But no, they come back with a "OH yeah?? Well Take this!" kind of remark...

Let the flame war of corporate giants begin...

baggyn:

Radelaide:

Malygris:

It's quite funny to think that Microsoft and Sony developed these big expensive high-end consoles and they are being beaten in sales by a console which looks like a CD drive and has far lower specs. This makes me chuckle.

Sony and Microsoft: Our e-peens are bigger!
Nintendo: But it's not the size that counts, it's how you market it.

oh what did I say? that both companies were squabbling children? yes indeed! I loved in the last thread how everyone was "Oh you dont see Microsoft doing this, only Sony's acting like a child."

This is how companies work.

on the maturity level of fucking 5 year olds.

Onmi:
oh what did I say? that both companies were squabbling children? yes indeed! I loved in the last thread how everyone was "Oh you dont see Microsoft doing this, only Sony's acting like a child."

Yeah but this round score is: Sony, 2 Microsoft, 1.

This game is like golf you don't want a large score, but do not worry MS will catch up in no time! Anyway I thought the problem people had was the bitching, not anything to do with Microsoft Vs Sony.

Knight Templar:

Onmi:

Yeah but this round score is: Sony, 2 Microsoft, 1.

This game is like golf you don't want a large score, but do not worry MS will catch up in no time! Anyway I thought the problem people had was the bitching, not anything to do with Microsoft Vs Sony.

Actually it's 2 for 2, I posted stuff in the other head, hell it's probably more than 2 on EITHER side.

* And speaking of Sony's problems, Microsoft's X Box 360 campaigning during PS 3's launch was pure Take That glory. Highlights were crashing Sony's live broadcast launch party held on a ship by parking another ship in the background with a large X Box 360 poster on the side, and Microsoft employees offering chairs for people queueing up for game stores on launch day, each chair decorated with an advert for a website where you could read Microsoft's sympathies for people having to wait in rain when they could have just played a 360 ages before.

Pretty big dick move.

They've done a tonne no doubt. There squabbling children!

Is it me, or does he look like some kind of sex-offender in that picture?

I would have listened to it more and maybe given that statement a little credit if it was Alan instead of Aaron.

Wasder:
Innovation??? Who does he think he's kidding? The wii has the only thing even remotely innovative in the current gen. I think they're just bickering for our entertainment now and are actually good friends.

Im sorry but the suggestion that the wii is innovative makes me laugh. Its bought nothing new to the table, as its just a cleverly marketed (to OAP'S, small children and housewives) rehash of age old technology and games. The xbox is better, seeing as its an improvement on teh last gen, with new hardware etc, but they sacrificed technological innovation (and reliability) to get the console out early and rack up some sales. The ps3 is the most technologically innovative, but in doing so is more expensive, making it a less likely choice for people in this cash- strapped age of recession

y8c616:

Wasder:

Im sorry but the suggestion that the wii is innovative makes me laugh. Its bought nothing new to the table, as its just a cleverly marketed (to OAP'S, small children and housewives) rehash of age old technology and games. The xbox is better, seeing as its an improvement on teh last gen, with new hardware etc, but they sacrificed technological innovation (and reliability) to get the console out early and rack up some sales. The ps3 is the most technologically innovative, but in doing so is more expensive, making it a less likely choice for people in this cash- strapped age of recession

Personally I feel that all the consoles are innovative on different levels.

- Wii: New way of controlling stuff, which could lead to awesome games (but somehow doesn't :( )
- PS3: Hardware wise, definitely the most next-gen.
- 360: Live, the online functions of the Xbox have really pushed it to the next level.

I do think Whathisface from Sony has a point though. If the current gens stay around for a while, Sony could catch up to Live via 'simple' software updates. The Xbox is set in it's hardware and has no growth in that department and thus, will remain lagging behind the PS3. However, it seems MS knows this all too well and is pulling out all the stops on Live and exclusive DLC's.

The Wii meanwhile, just sits back and let's the cash roll in, capitalizing on their new casual market.

Oh yeah! BOOYAH PEOPLE!

Let the corporate wars commence!

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

I've got 1:45 odds on Kazzy and 1:37 odds on the American WITH double or nothing options! I need bets people, who's going to win?

Malygris:

"I'm confident we will outsell the PS3 throughout the entire generation by providing more innovation and building the best and broadest games library while growing our entertainment experiences on the leading online network," Greenberg said. "With a U.S. install base lead now of more than 7 million units (according to NPD), I can't imagine any scenario where the PS3 can catch up with us. In fact, even if you doubled the current PS3 sales and Xbox 360 remained flat, they couldn't close the gap until 2014."

funny how he doesn't mention the euro or japanese install base of the 360 vs the ps3, considering 1 week of ps3 sales == 1 month of 360 sales in japan. tho it trails by 7 million, the ps3 is outselling the 360

also isn't this the same sort of thing ppl were all up in arms about saying what dicks Sony was being for saying the exact same thing? where's all the hate for m$ doing the exact same thing or was i right about unjustified hate towards Sony?

When does the Phantom come out? Oh, you'll all see the light then!

cleverlymadeup:

Malygris:

funny how he doesn't mention the euro or japanese install base of the 360 vs the ps3, considering 1 week of ps3 sales == 1 month of 360 sales in japan. tho it trails by 7 million, the ps3 is outselling the 360

also isn't this the same sort of thing ppl were all up in arms about saying what dicks Sony was being for saying the exact same thing? where's all the hate for m$ doing the exact same thing or was i right about unjustified hate towards Sony?

The thing about that is Sony was basically insulting gamers. "If you haven't bought a PS3 then you're stupid."

Its that kinda thing that pisses people off. Couple that with Sony's less than hospitable customer care, and you get loads of people hating Sony.

That's not to say Microsoft is entirely blameless here. This guy's statements are the verbal equivilant of mooning someone. Not very classy, to say the least.

Whats really funny is that neither Sony nor Microsoft acknowledges Nintendo's outright dominance. Its like their saying, "If I don't pay attention to them, they might go away."

matrix3509:

The thing about that is Sony was basically insulting gamers. "If you haven't bought a PS3 then you're stupid."

Its that kinda thing that pisses people off. Couple that with Sony's less than hospitable customer care, and you get loads of people hating Sony.

That's not to say Microsoft is entirely blameless here. This guy's statements are the verbal equivilant of mooning someone. Not very classy, to say the least.

not really, they were just saying "our console is a better value" which isn't insulting it's actually the truth

and as for m$ insulting it's user base, they do that lots, i do believe they call it tuesday at the redmond office

Whats really funny is that neither Sony nor Microsoft acknowledges Nintendo's outright dominance. Its like their saying, "If I don't pay attention to them, they might go away."

actually Sony does acknowledge it, they just don't view them as competition because really they aren't, they go after very different markets and a lot of ppl who own a ps3 will get a wii and vice versa

Maybe they should stop fighting and start fixing their hardware problems?

When a blu-ray player costs less to make Sony will definitely sell a lot more consoles. I don't know if it will be as much as 360 or Wii, but it will definitely have higher sales.

cleverlymadeup:
actually Sony does acknowledge it, they just don't view them as competition because really they aren't, they go after very different markets and a lot of ppl who own a ps3 will get a wii and vice versa

Yeah, a lot of people who have a next gen system got a Wii first and then got another system. Like a PS3 or 360. Thats what me and lots of my friends did.

How can a man with facial hair that offensive call anyone "out of touch"?

Heh heh heh. I love how the two companies refuse to even aknowledge the Wii. It's outselling and outperforming them in every way but they only care about one another.

I think their worldview just doesn't entertain the possibility that a console with inferior hardware could ever be more popular. And thus they ignore it in order to keep their sanity.

Limos:
Heh heh heh. I love how the two companies refuse to even aknowledge the Wii. It's outselling and outperforming them in every way but they only care about one another.

I think their worldview just doesn't entertain the possibility that a console with inferior hardware could ever be more popular. And thus they ignore it in order to keep their sanity.

Kute Kazzy acknoledged Nincy Nintendo in the dreaded "OUT. OF. STATE TOUCH." argument. Here;

Malygris:
As for the Nintendo Wii, which continues to dominate the market, Hirai maintained the Sony line that it's not actually competition at all. "It's difficult to talk about Nintendo because we don't look at their console as being competitors," he said. "They're a different world and we operate in our world - that's kind of the way I look at things."

Oh ho, I do love boldings, italics, and underlines (oh my!)! Don't you?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here