Crazy-Cool DIY Project of the Day: Spider-Man Web Shooter Railgun

Crazy-Cool DIY Project of the Day: Spider-Man Web Shooter Railgun

It comes with a small grappling hook, too, true believers!

Railguns are awesome, if not pants-soilingly scary. Big versions are being used/tested as missile defense platforms, while they're also Arnold Schwarzenegger's best friend.

DIY railguns are a thing, too, although the end results aren't as lethal, or large. Take this Spider-Man-themed project by YouTuber AnselmoFanZero. The setup combines a small electromagnetic railgun with a laser (for aiming, not for melting), and a grappling hook assembly.

The power plant is a 350W capacitor bank, which is capable of putting out 100 joules of energy. The demo shows the unit firing some sort of small projectile, then using the same railgun to launch the grappling hook. There's a winch motor in there, too, to pull the hook back in.

If an engineering enthusiast can pull this kind of gear off in his house, just imagine the kind of shenanigans being cooked up by the friendly folks over at DARPA...

[Source: Hack A Day]

Devin Connors:

If an engineering enthusiast can pull this kind of gear off in his house, just imagine the kind of shenanigans being cooked up by the friendly folks over at DARPA...

Coincidentally, I just started playing Just Cause 2. While I hate the idea of applying real-world physics into a game where Rule of Cool trumps all, I've always had a gear in the back of my head trying to figure out how that grappling hook would work in real life.

This video makes me giddy for that reason. This project coupled with DARPA's legendary R&D teams could effectively yield something of that caliber. Maybe not as a magical as a grappling hook that can fling a 180+ pound man thirty feet into the air with a flick of the wrist, but something that's not as cumbersome as carrying a lenth of rope and other assorted climbing equipment around.

Also, I noticed that one of this guy's related videos is a wrist-mounted coilgun crossbow, so I'm convinced this man may or may not be some kind of supervillian.

*wild applause*

Nice, very nice. I love this with no caveats about practicality, it's just awesome that he had a concept and followed it through to this end.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.