Game Journalist Dead in Apparent Murder/Suicide

Game Journalist Dead in Apparent Murder/Suicide

Former game journalist Jason Montes was found dead in his home on Sunday after an apparent murder/suicide.

According to police, Montes, who once wrote for outlets including Ziff Davis and IGN, called a friend and said that he had shot his wife, Serena, and was going to kill himself. Police arrived at Montes' home in Concord, California to find the couple dead. Montes had been estranged from his wife for two years.

Montes wrote for gaming publications such as The Official PlayStation Magazine and Ultra Game Players, before joining Hudsonsoft's marketing team. He had also pursued a career in web design and animation. Montes had recently filed for bankruptcy protection.

Source: Edge Online

Wow, that's quite sad to hear.
What are the chances that video games made him do it? I would like to think that they won't be even brought into discussion, as he was a full grown adult, but what are the chances?

I bet the Jack Thompson brigade will be up in arms over this. It's sad that he did this, but the fact that he was estranged from his wife for two years no doubt won't get a look in once the anti-video games brigade turn up.

There's too many variables at stake here to find a cause one way or the other.

This is unfortunate, but the relation of games to this as far as it being the cause is unclear and not really confirmed.

He did play video games for a living, so, yer, I'd say video games made him do it. There is the small factor of his relationship with his wife, but...... who knows.

If anything made him do it, I'd say it was the goatee, nothing says "I kill things with a crowbar" like having a goatee. No doubt there was a copy of the Orange Box in his disc drive.
Couldn't have been depression brought on by the bankruptcy or the fact that he had relationship issues. Nope, goatee or video games.

I blame Video Games for the tragic death of a troubled man.

Yup, Video Games.

Either way, people died. That's depressing.

R.I.P
May Karma be kind to you.

Aries_Split:

R.I.P

He killed his wife in cold blood, he's a murderer. Ok he may be suffering from mental problems but at the moment there isn't any real evidence on that, so I for one don't feel any sympthathy with him.

Of course if he does suffer from severe depression than that might change my views on him but I'm not inlcined to agree with you right now.

One could argue that, regardless of circumstances, no murderer is free from having mental problems.

What an unhappy thing to read on The Escapist. =(

MCGT:

Aries_Split:

R.I.P

He killed his wife in cold blood, he's a murderer. Ok he may be suffering from mental problems but at the moment there isn't any real evidence on that, so I for one don't feel any sympthathy with him.

Of course if he does suffer from severe depression than that might change my views on him but I'm not inlcined to agree with you right now.

A death, is always, irrevocably, a death.

If you are truly better than this man, wouldn't you want him to change? Wouldn't you want to make him better? Wouldn't you want him to repent for his crimes, one way or another?

Or would you rather have him cut down on the spot, ending anything that COULD have been?

A death is a death, no matter the circumstances, so may Jason Montes and his Wife rest in Peace. As Aeries_Split said, may Karma be kind with you.

My sympathies go out to the relatives and friends.

Sad. Sometimes you wonder what could drive a man to such a point where he would do such a terrible thing.

I will never understand people that kill their wives and then themselves.

What could they possibly be thinking to justify such a thing?

niblik:
I will never understand people that kill their wives and then themselves.

What could they possibly be thinking to justify such a thing?

Obviously he didn't justify it.

Aries_Split:

MCGT:

Aries_Split:

R.I.P

A death, is always, irrevocably, a death.

If you are truly better than this man, wouldn't you want him to change? Wouldn't you want to make him better? Wouldn't you want him to repent for his crimes, one way or another?

Or would you rather have him cut down on the spot, ending anything that COULD have been?

I'm not saying that he deserved to die as such, rather that his wife did not deserve death.

The whole act seems selfish to me, he's taking a life, hurting his family and friends, hurting her family and friends. He had better options to take, there are a multidude of different places to go nowdays where he could have got help and changed.

Instead he choose to deal with it in this manner.

A senseless, tragic event. My grief and prayers are with the afflicted.

...as is a sneaking suspicion someone will blame this on videogames.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here