Obama Staff: White House Tech Is "Atari" Level

Pages PREV 1 2

This is kinda sad news, also worrying.

Macs arent the wrost things in the world, its just that they are meant to be user friendly over workhorses. I personally am a PC supporter, the Macs just arent made to handle massive administration like windows, but they are a hell lot easier to make a ringtone on garageband with =D.

Put it this way, america survived for 8 years with 1994 equipment and we didnt even notice, thuse shows you the ability for windows to take the workload (except for vista which kinda tried but failed, although the fact that the "end now" button actually works is a plus)

Wouldukindly:
Obama brought a Wii...my faith in him is completely shattered:-P

My thoughts exactally... You would have thought he has the taste as well as the money to buy a PS3. Hell even a 360 is better than a wii

Chaos Marine:
Macs?

So what, are they looking for the Whitehouse to be cracked in two minutes?

No, thats why theyre not using windows

"Still, for security's sake, the amount of flexibility the staff will get with its information sharing will be severely limited for the sake of security."
Redundancy rules.

Personally I hope Macs in the future will support all Windows games, from Quake 1 to Crysis. I would pick one up immediately but Microsoft's dominance of the PC gaming market is holding me back.

Anyone who has worked in a large organization knows you use old stable and secure software, not to mention if you ended up doing a deal with a company like Novell or IBM for Lotus Notes you get locked into a long term commitment to sub-standard software.

y8c616:

Wouldukindly:

My thoughts exactally... You would have thought he has the taste as well as the money to buy a PS3. Hell even a 360 is better than a wii

Yeah cuz Wii is for tards hurrr hurrr hurr

oh wait you're talking out your ass. Nevermind the fact part of the reason he got it is because of his daughters. No clearly we must trust our president based on what kind of console he buys. Do you honestly think this way? Because if so I think you have a seriously problem with reality.

Jared Rea:

Welcome to the 21st Century, where multi-button mice on Macs have been common for more than a decade. Enjoy your stay.

The Apple Mighty Mouse was created in 2005. They have not made any big strides to make such a thing mandatory on their machines. It is not "common" because while it is supported out of the box, you still need to be arsed to buy the mouse. Oh and I must point out Apple tried to pass off their creation as something revolutionary, when, as you said, multi-button mice with scroll wheels had been common for more than a decade.

xitel:
Wait a minute, "Phone lines to nowhere"? How do you even have that?

Probably the same way Palin built a bridge to nowhere. Cuz hey, you gotta be able to call all those people on the other side of that bridge.

Bored Tomatoe:

doxcology:
I am not surprised at all, what the hell was Bush doing in there???

Tic Tac Toe.

I always knew he was the post-it note president

Well... better Mac than Windows... But if this would be "real" tech savvy guys they would bring some Linux PCs. There you get security AND productivity.

:P

AceDiamond:

y8c616:

Wouldukindly:

Yeah cuz Wii is for tards hurrr hurrr hurr

oh wait you're talking out your ass. Nevermind the fact part of the reason he got it is because of his daughters. No clearly we must trust our president based on what kind of console he buys. Do you honestly think this way? Because if so I think you have a seriously problem with reality.

Jared Rea:

Welcome to the 21st Century, where multi-button mice on Macs have been common for more than a decade. Enjoy your stay.

The Apple Mighty Mouse was created in 2005. They have not made any big strides to make such a thing mandatory on their machines. It is not "common" because while it is supported out of the box, you still need to be arsed to buy the mouse. Oh and I must point out Apple tried to pass off their creation as something revolutionary, when, as you said, multi-button mice with scroll wheels had been common for more than a decade.

Of course im not suggesting that i dont trust Obama because he bought a wii; but a man with his money should at least have the taste to buy a higher quality product than that in my opinion. If anything he should support American companies and buy a 360:P
To be fair though, he has so many problems to sort out that whatever games console he buys is irrelevant as his tasks ahead are more important. And now his administration have some decent computers (IE macs) to work on, so its all good:P

Macs are good for artists who are not fluent in the using of PCs. They don't do anything faster, aren't more stable, or more secure.

They are easy to use for Media applications, and to set up the hardware. (With other Apple hardware...)

Being the minority in the OS market =/= more secure, just the people creating Viruses, Trojans, etc for the general public are more likely to go for the largest market.

mrjinx:
Macs are good for artists who are not fluent in the using of PCs. They don't do anything faster, aren't more stable, or more secure.

They are easy to use for Media applications, and to set up the hardware. (With other Apple hardware...)

Being the minority in the OS market =/= more secure, just the people creating Viruses, Trojans, etc for the general public are more likely to go for the largest market.

Or the highest profile target. And now the President is advertising that he uses a Mac? Huh, nice bullseye there. Wonder what anti-virus software he's running on his Mac?

Wouldukindly:

But he does know All Your Base.
Anyway, he's our president. Do we really want him playing GoW or Oblivion?

Wow... Its nice to even be able to speculate that the president of the United States could like gaming.

Erana:

Wouldukindly:

But he does know All Your Base.
Anyway, he's our president. Do we really want him playing GoW or Oblivion?

Wow... Its nice to even be able to speculate that the president of the United States could like gaming.

Haha just remember, he isn't my President :-P I'd love to play him in Gears of War...probably the only Gears game ever with no swearing over the microphone...

y8c616:

Chaos Marine:
Macs?

MacBook Air hacked in two minutes.

LoopyDood:
"Still, for security's sake, the amount of flexibility the staff will get with its information sharing will be severely limited for the sake of security."
Redundancy rules.

Personally I hope Macs in the future will support all Windows games, from Quake 1 to Crysis. I would pick one up immediately but Microsoft's dominance of the PC gaming market is holding me back.

I'd rather this not happen. For the plain reason that to buy a Mac computer, I'd be paying over a thousand euro more than what the parts are actually worth simply because it's a Mac. Apple can go fuck themselves. Biggest bunch of con-artists I've ever seen. And then, you have the users, merciful Hades, if their egos, from the simple fact that they own a piece of Apple hardware, were combined and it were tangible the combined weight would create a blackhole so vast half the universe wouldn't survive.

And why yes, I do deal with a lot of Mac fans at work and each one seems more condescending than the last prick.

But I digress, the main reason why I'd quite computer gaming if Apple came into it and tried to take over, I like building my own machines. I like being able to decide what hardware I have in it. That goes against Apple's imperatives of deciding everything and allowing little if any hardware control beyond what overpriced version of their shackled OS you decide to buy.

In regards to freedom of choice, Apple is to Microsoft what Microsoft is to Linux.

God the obamalings WOULD use macs, wouldn't they? Throughout the entire campaign they collectively reminded me of that snooty little unkempt mac twit from the commercials.

omg im so creative and a free thinker for going with the other wannabe hippy sheeple and using macs and voting obama

p.s. my drivel comes from the fingers of an unrepentant paul tard

Chaos Marine:
Macs?

Sorry but I've had a mac for two years and haven't gotten hacked or gotten a virus.
I've actually hacked networks and local computers no prob. =}

Chaos Marine:

y8c616:

Chaos Marine:
Macs?

MacBook Air hacked in two minutes.

But thats just a MacBook Air, its just a gimmick to woo die hard Apple fans into buying it.

Railgun88:

Chaos Marine:
Macs?

Sorry but I've had a mac for two years and haven't gotten hacked or gotten a virus.
I've actually hacked networks and local computers no prob. =}

What about that statement are you sorry about? Or was it just the smugness that Apple products inject into their customers?

Couldn't help myself. It really does seem like every Mac owner starts off their sentences with "sorry", as they fix their Kangol style hat, and drip some of their cappuccino all over their ipod, which of course is listening to whatever is hip during that particular 5 minute time span.

Before nerd rage takes you over and consumes your keyboard, the above is just a joke.

xitel:

They contracted Joe the phone guy for the installation
Republican joke ba-dum-tish

I think that the White House could benefit if the only inter-department communication was drums, or perhaps smoke signals.

Chaos Marine:

LoopyDood:
Redundancy rules.

I'd rather this not happen. For the plain reason that to buy a Mac computer, I'd be paying over a thousand euro more than what the parts are actually worth simply because it's a Mac. Apple can go fuck themselves. Biggest bunch of con-artists I've ever seen. And then, you have the users, merciful Hades, if their egos, from the simple fact that they own a piece of Apple hardware, were combined and it were tangible the combined weight would create a blackhole so vast half the universe wouldn't survive.

And why yes, I do deal with a lot of Mac fans at work and each one seems more condescending than the last prick.

But I digress, the main reason why I'd quite computer gaming if Apple came into it and tried to take over, I like building my own machines. I like being able to decide what hardware I have in it. That goes against Apple's imperatives of deciding everything and allowing little if any hardware control beyond what overpriced version of their shackled OS you decide to buy.

In regards to freedom of choice, Apple is to Microsoft what Microsoft is to Linux.

You're right, but seeing a little more competition in the OS market would be nice. I agree that Apple needs to ditch the proprietary hardware... But that's where they make their money, so I don't think that will change. If it did I think (hope) a lot of the fanboyish attitudes would change because Apple would cease being such an exclusive (expensive) 'club'. After all, competition means more choice and cheaper products for the consumer, us.

You don't need to use a Mac, but you can still reserve the right to e-punch everyone who brags over voice chat that they're gaming on one.

xitel:

They were installed so George couldn't actually make any decisions. He just thought that he was talking to the Pentagon telling them to blow crap up. Cheney was the one with the real phonelines.

I like the fact that, if Sony slapped the Apple Logo on their Playstation 3, they could've sold the fucking console for a thousand dollars, and people would've said "that's cheap!"

Okay, enough off-topic. Maybe computers aren't what politics are all about? I mean, really, what software do you have to keep up-to-date as a government (except for security software, obviously)? Also, why the newest hardware? I doubt they play games or do animations there.

Gladion:
I like the fact that, if Sony slapped the Apple Logo on their Playstation 3, they could've sold the fucking console for a thousand dollars, and people would've said "that's cheap!"

Okay, I officially lol'ed.

LoopyDood:
*Snip*

I have. Nothing but constant kernal panics at start up, sudden and inexplicable frezes (Oh how I despise you bouncing rubber ball), quick time and itunes, single button mouse. That clover shit is galls me to no end. And then, there's the big annoyance. I like being able to maximise and minimise. You have no idea how irritating not being able to do that is for me. Next, and this is the doosy, I'm a PC gamer. That means I use my computer to play games. A lot of them. And boot camp? It doesn't work with all games and why exactly should I need to run an virtual computer on my machine to play current games, or half of them? I can understand using a virtual machine to play very old games like Chaos Gate, Dune and Doom reliably without needing DosBox, mainly because I have an old copy of Win98SE laying about, but paying for two OSes? On hardware that already costs too much? No bloody way.

Chaos Marine:
I have. Nothing but constant kernal panics at start up, sudden and inexplicable frezes (Oh how I despise you bouncing rubber ball), quick time and itunes, single button mouse. That clover shit is galls me to no end. And then, there's the big annoyance. I like being able to maximise and minimise. You have no idea how irritating not being able to do that is for me. Next, and this is the doosy, I'm a PC gamer. That means I use my computer to play games. A lot of them. And boot camp? It doesn't work with all games and why exactly should I need to run an virtual computer on my machine to play current games, or half of them? I can understand using a virtual machine to play very old games like Chaos Gate, Dune and Doom reliably without needing DosBox, mainly because I have an old copy of Win98SE laying about, but paying for two OSes? On hardware that already costs too much? No bloody way.

I completely agree, and I'm not accusing you of never using a Mac. I didn't even ask. I only said if they ever do become popular for gaming, you don't have to use one but you can verbally bitch slap anyone who brags that they are.

Wow. I knew that all the Live Free or Die Hard-style supercomputer rooms were fake, but I didn't know the real thing was that far back... jeez...

Jared Rea:

NoSeraph:
It's not the connectivity or the basic program that Obama's Mac-using staff find difficult.

Their problem is right-clicking.

Perhaps the joke I made was a bit unclear, or perhaps it was a bit high-brow for dear Jared Rea.

This was a reference to Obama's Democratic Party, whose political stances are commonly considered to be "left" of center. The opposite of left, Jared, is right. I tried to imply that left-leaning staff members have difficulty with "right" (sided) mouse clicks. Therein lies the humour, though I fear it is ruined. I apologise.

Thank you for your kind welcome to the present century. It's not bad, but I miss Perfect Strangers and new episodes of Seinfeld.

Is anyone thinking like I am that Obama's reign in the White House is gonna play out like an episode of Yes, Prime Minister?

merf1350:
Probably the same way Palin built a bridge to nowhere. Cuz hey, you gotta be able to call all those people on the other side of that bridge.

Correct if I'm mistaken, but I do believe that it was Gov. Murkowski who built the bridge to nowhere, not Palin.

...Anyway, I hate 'em both, Palin drew too much attention to my home, and the Murkowski's strike me as a blight.

----

Outdated tech in the White House? Believable, entirely believable.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here