Insomniac Explains Why Sunset Overdrive is Exclusive to Xbox One - Update

Pages PREV 1 2

Neronium:
Keeping the IP huh? Well I can't blame them in that case. I'm actually rather surprised that Microsoft allowed Insomniac to keep the IP, because normally all 3 of the console manufacturers would have said that they get to keep the IP. Good on Microsoft for that one.

You know, this reminds me of LIMBO. The guys making it pitched it to Sony first, had disagreement on IP ownership and ended up publishing it for Xbox exclusive for a while.

If you're surprised, I'm here to say this has happened before.

But hopefully, (and maybe?) this means that Sunset Overdrive will find itself on other platforms.

I will buy a Xbone at some point, but if this never comes to the PS4, I can see an Xbone happening sooner rather than later. Ratchet and Clank is one of my favourite series, this game looks like Jet Set Radio mixed with R&C, awesome! So long as they don't screw it up like they did with FUSE.

So still no good reason, aside from good old fashioned just don't feel like doing it, for not making a PC version?

Neronium:
Keeping the IP huh? Well I can't blame them in that case. I'm actually rather surprised that Microsoft allowed Insomniac to keep the IP, because normally all 3 of the console manufacturers would have said that they get to keep the IP. Good on Microsoft for that one.

Well not exactly what they wanted was to keep the IP and still have the publisher give them gobs of money to make it a console exclusive. That's where it gets a little unusual. It's still the gobs of money department, but it was "whoever gave us the most gobs of money with the fewest strings". I can see why SONY might have balked at that. MS seems to have been kind of desperate to secure launch or early cycle exclusives and has offered that kind of deal a few times. I suspect it will burn them long term. Note how Titanfalls developers are already guarantee'ing that Titanfall 2 will be on PS4 and will be multiplatform etc. Where would the XBox/XBox 360 brand have been if they hadn't locked Halo to their brand?

Kinda find the update rather funny, especially the first poster having a 4chan type avatar along with the usual bold assumption we're apparently allowed to constantly make without actual evidence on our side, even when Insomniac provides an answer I know people (especially here) will still call it a lie until they are blue in the face or when Insomniac are hated into the ground and give into harsh demands, I wish gamers would just follow the damn games rather than dictate what should and shouldn't be made for other platforms, god forbid XB1 is allowed an exclusive at all in this day and age.

So if people don't understand the context of Insomniac wanting to keep their IP, it's probably because they haven't really gotten the chance to do it with any other series, which includes all of the series they're famous for. Spyro wasn't theirs and was taken by EA, and Ratchet and Clank is owned by Sony as is Resistance. Insomniac has stated they stopped working on Resistance and Spyro because they were tired of the series, so in all likelihood they just want to retain the IP so they can start and stop on it when they want and maintain creative control over it (this isn't even mentioning what happened with Fuse, where they clearly didn't make the game they intended to originally make).

An increasingly large number of people (both on and off of the escapist) are making assumptions on events like this without understanding the context or reasoning behind it.

I have to wonder if they took the deal to avoid ending up in another Overstrike/Fuse situation. I suppose I'd rather have the game exist and be fun on a console I don't have than have control given to somebody who would destroy the soul of the game and have it available on PC.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.