Mozilla Begins In-Browser Advertisement Testing for Firefox

Pages PREV 1 2

WeepingAngels:

KungFuJazzHands:
As long as the ads can be clicked away and don't mine any personal data from my PC, I'm okay with them. I'd be happier if Mozilla hadn't taken this route at all, but it is what it is and it ain't going anywhere.

WeepingAngels:
I just switched back to Firefox from Chrome and I hate Firefox 29. The refresh button can't be moved, the back button acts funny sometimes (going back more than one page) and now this. I didn't switch back because I hate Chrome, I just wanted a change and I have no problem going back to Chrome.

I updated my Firefox to v29 yesterday, and I instantly hated it aside from the fact that it seems a lot speedier on my system than the older version.

Please don't go back to Chrome. Use this add-on instead -- it restores the UI functionality of the previous build. Much more tolerable than the nasty look of v29.

Installed the add on, thanks.

Why not go back to Chrome though? Is there something I should know about Chrome?

Oh, it's just me. I despise Google and their products.

Hope that add-on helps! :)

to all people still running firefox 28 - disable automatic updates. it has updated on my laptop yesterday and first 2 hours was spend finding a way to get the damn tabs back down to the correct place instead of being productive. i had to install the classic look addon just to be able to use it properly. the new interface is fucked.

WeepingAngels:

Why not go back to Chrome though? Is there something I should know about Chrome?

why woudl you go back to chrome? a slower browser with less costumization and addons/scripts that looks horrible and acts like its somehow better. Back when it was released it had a benefit of being able to quickly parse large xml tables (and i mean like 200.000 lines large, server user statistics and stuff) but now that firefox does that even faster now for over a year theres no reason to use chrome other than "lets see how this webpage will look to new user".

KungFuJazzHands:

WeepingAngels:

KungFuJazzHands:
As long as the ads can be clicked away and don't mine any personal data from my PC, I'm okay with them. I'd be happier if Mozilla hadn't taken this route at all, but it is what it is and it ain't going anywhere.

I updated my Firefox to v29 yesterday, and I instantly hated it aside from the fact that it seems a lot speedier on my system than the older version.

Please don't go back to Chrome. Use this add-on instead -- it restores the UI functionality of the previous build. Much more tolerable than the nasty look of v29.

Installed the add on, thanks.

Oh, it's just me. I despise Google and their products.

Hope that add-on helps! :)

I'll stick with Firefox for now and I do use the New Tab Page but I use an add on called New Tab Tools so I have more customization options and all the tabs are pinned. If I start seeing ads, I won't hesitate to switch.

Strazdas:
to all people still running firefox 28 - disable automatic updates. it has updated on my laptop yesterday and first 2 hours was spend finding a way to get the damn tabs back down to the correct place instead of being productive. i had to install the classic look addon just to be able to use it properly. the new interface is fucked.

WeepingAngels:

why woudl you go back to chrome? a slower browser with less costumization and addons/scripts that looks horrible and acts like its somehow better. Back when it was released it had a benefit of being able to quickly parse large xml tables (and i mean like 200.000 lines large, server user statistics and stuff) but now that firefox does that even faster now for over a year theres no reason to use chrome other than "lets see how this webpage will look to new user".

I obviously like the way Chrome is set up and while it is slower (fuck that AppCache shit) at startup, it seems fine for browsing. I switch back and forth but when a browser starts pushing ads on me, I don't stick around.

Kalezian:

it's been done, the armchair social justice equality weekend warriors bullied the CEO for his own opinions.

It wasn't just his opinion, it was also the fact that he funded anti-gay propositions. If someone cares for LGBT rights, they surely wouldn't want to indirectly help him in his funding by using his product?

I've been using Firefox for years and I haven't seen any trace of this in-browser advertisement because my 9 new page tabs are already all locked to various sites. If this doesn't get more interrupting, like, say, opening an ad every time you open a new tab, then I have nothing against such an advertisement policy.

evilnancyreagan:
If I were a Firefox user I'd be more concerned with the fact their new CEO supported California's former gay marriage ban. Now there's some social commentary for all of you getting up in arms over Nintendo's gaff.

This is pretty funny. It's like someone who was trying to be fashionably late to a party in order to make an amazing and memorable entrance, but then arrives after a month has passed since the event.

I got to admit, a large part of the reason I gravitate to the open source world is the lack of advertising and quality products. Its been a long time though since I considered firefox to be a quality product and I'm already not using it.

WeepingAngels:

I'm going to jump in here with my two-cents:
When was the last time you trusted a program that piggybacked in with a freeware program you downloaded?

Chrome is the only one I'd consider letting install, but I still don't install it because there has to be a reason it's trying to get on my PC when I didn't ask for it.

OT: I'm not thrilled with the principle of ads in my Firefox, but they sound so completely unintrusive that I will tolerate them. I got no problem with Mozilla pulling money out of thin air like this. I'm more concerned about the new UI looking totally sweet with some of my personas, but not being able to move a few buttons off of the address bar is pretty shitty.

CkretAznMan:

evilnancyreagan:
If I were a Firefox user I'd be more concerned with the fact their new CEO supported California's former gay marriage ban. Now there's some social commentary for all of you getting up in arms over Nintendo's gaff.

This is pretty funny. It's like someone who was trying to be fashionably late to a party in order to make an amazing and memorable entrance, but then arrives after a month has passed since the event.

Not to mention, "new CEO" is factually wrong.

It's like someone was attempting to stir up a controversy that's already happened, and isn't a controversy anymore.
A nontroversy.

IceForce:

CkretAznMan:

evilnancyreagan:

Not to mention, "new CEO" is factually wrong.

It's like someone was attempting to stir up a controversy that's already happened, and isn't a controversy anymore.
A nontroversy.

Talk about awkward!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.