Walking Dead Producer: Piracy's Pushing Content Creators To 'The Precipice'

Pages PREV 1 2

I wonder how many shows that have been cancelled over the last few years might have been saved if there wasn't people pirating the content on the internet? The big shows like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead have enough ratings that its not a problem, but I wonder about the smaller shows that are barely hanging on.

Regarding her comments about where the show was on Google, she might have been exaggerating some, but if its like sporting events you can find a bunch of illegal stream sites when the event is airing and the broadcasters have them "disappear" as soon as they can, so if you aren't searching at the exact same time she is the numbers could be much different.

Reading her argument, I do agree that right now for a lot of the content that sees high piracy the consumer is basically stuck between piracy and paying through the nose. Its why I don't watch Game of Thrones or Walking Dead, for I don't want to pay a premium to watch something beyond what I am paying for other television shows and I can't be bothered to wait because by then it will have been spoiled by someone who has more money they I do.

Sanunes:
I wonder how many shows that have been cancelled over the last few years might have been saved if there wasn't people pirating the content on the internet? The big shows like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead have enough ratings that its not a problem, but I wonder about the smaller shows that are barely hanging on.

Regarding her comments about where the show was on Google, she might have been exaggerating some, but if its like sporting events you can find a bunch of illegal stream sites when the event is airing and the broadcasters have them "disappear" as soon as they can, so if you aren't searching at the exact same time she is the numbers could be much different.

Reading her argument, I do agree that right now for a lot of the content that sees high piracy the consumer is basically stuck between piracy and paying through the nose. Its why I don't watch Game of Thrones or Walking Dead, for I don't want to pay a premium to watch something beyond what I am paying for other television shows and I can't be bothered to wait because by then it will have been spoiled by someone who has more money they I do.

None. The majority of those people would not have watched the show anyway if they didn't have the option to pirate it. Cable networks need to adapt to suit their customers. Right now, watching a show you want to watch on a cable network is a pain in the ass. It often requires you to be subscribed an entire network, also paying for cable(A useless service in my eyes), and region locks, delays, etc.
Can you really blame people? Give people the option to pay money up front to watch a whole season of a show streamed to their TV or online without any arbitrary delays? You'd have a lot less pirates.

Does the walking dead producer have a vested interest in House of Cards. I get the feeling that this was a shameless stunt to get a bunch of people(myself included) to mindlessly Google house of cards to see if they can find the Netflix link knowing full well that it's on the first page.

Karloff:

It's worth bearing in mind that the problem isn't just a piracy issue; the business model as a whole is burdened with ridiculous policies that lock whole regions into a system in which piracy or paying through the nose are the only two options on the table. That, and long gone are the days when Australia, for example, was happy to wait a few days, or weeks, or longer, for its content. Something needs to change, Hurd's right about that; but is it Google's search protocols, or something else?

its allways painful bearing in mind the obvious thing..

imagine two lemonade stands , side by side on the left pirate peters honest quenching's and on the right AMC bros lemonade

now pirate pete is an expert hes been doing this lemonade business for years, he sees a lemonade and he knows how its made right away and "cam" make an infinite supply or "rip" up a new batch so we know what both AMC bros and Pirate pete will have the same thing.

now lets go get some lemonade,
on Facebook all my American friends have been going spastic about this amazing lemonade the Walking D lemonade its been driving me nuts because i dont want the lemonade ruined for me so i havent been talking to them , i walk down to the lemonade stands...

at first i try to walk up to the amc stand , "hello" i say "i would love to try some the WD lemonade" the standperson looks me in the eye and says "no sorry that lemonade isent being released here for another two months", "Ok... i guess i mean that dosent make any sense you have a big bottle that says the WD lemonade right there on the table" i say , "no you cant have it for another 2 months i cant give it to you" says the standperson..

frustrated i just walk over to pete who gives a toothless grin and happily gives me a slightly oily bottle of the WD lemonade free of charge , how nice of him :)

little did i know the amc standsperson was watching me and he wasent happy...

the next week i hear theres a update of the flavor on the WD lemonade and things have gone a little fruity down at the stands...

as i round the corner to the lemonade stands a burly police man walks up to me and slaps a pair of funky glasses on my head and slaps a tracking bracelet on my wrist,

"gah what the hell! what is this nam ?" i say infuriated , "its new laws , you arent aloud to go to petes stand anymore and if you do we will fine you and maybe put you in jail" says the policeman , shocked at this i nervously round the corner and look towards the stands but i cant see petes stand anymore the glasses block him out , bewildered i walk up to the AMC stand and look at the standperson. " can i have this weeks the WD lemonade?" , "no you cant" says the standperson "its not out yet here" i reply "YES it bloody well is pirate pete would have that lemonade right now!" , "well you cant go to pirate pete , thats stealing and we have made the law so you can only come to us! and those glasses block you from being able to even see pirate pete" says the standperson "WHAT? thats so dumb why cant you just give me the lemonade when it comes out ! you can do it but chose not to! petes been providing lemonade for years without this problem" i yell, "NO you cant go to pete we arent changeing the way we do busniess for some banana rebublic , there are new laws and you cant go to pete , we DO not have to compete with him hes just a thief ,a pirate" states the standperson camly.

this is insane i think , surely pete is still there blindly i take a few steps and stub my toe on another stand , pete pops the lemonade into my hand and i head off home.

why would anybody go to AMC , pete provides a much better service i am never going to amc again!

i was arrested and executed under the new laws two weeks later~~

Hmmm. Stop keeping your content behind region locks and exclusive paywalls. Or, force the new age of technology to conform to out-dated means?

Nothing like being forced to stay creative and make stuff people want to buy to keep you on your feet!

Mr.Tea:
Among all the examples of people who pirate these shows, there's one I haven't seen yet: Those who pirate it just because they want it on their computer.

See, I live in a house that is subscribed to HBO and we watch Game of Thrones as it airs... and then I also download it. I live on my computer and I could not care less about Netflix-style shitty streams that you don't even get to keep. When it comes to my favourite shows, I just want them on my computer! I re-watch them whenever I want and I'm not limited by a stupid DVR or poor streaming quality. I also make GIFs out of certain scenes.

tl;dr I just want the videos on my computer and the Blu-Rays (a whole fucking year later) don't even count since ripping them is pirating them anyways.

No ripping and transcodeing is fair use, its when you upload load them you become a dirty one legged bandit.

Let's look at the general history..

The industry (primarily the music industry) spent enormous amounts of money on creating attorney companies to sue the average person for millions of dollars or euros, which they got nothing out of, apart from destroying the lives of a few poor souls.
They proceeded to moan and whine about their theoretical losses (which was at one point far more than the global economy).
Then they said it hurt the artists and had a few faces to represent them, in order to get sympathy.
Then they sued the ISP's and convinced the governments to block sites, which people circumvented using proxies and other methods.

None of it worked in any measurable way and it lost them a lot of sympathy, especially when they essentially used mob-tactics on people to scare others.

Then they adapted to the situation through things like iTunes, Spotify and similar projects that massively boosted their sales and has (according to themselves) given them an economic golden age.

Steam, by itself, has also turned the gaming market around, giving not only major companies a huge boost but also gave a lot of smaller companies a real chance.

So... now we have a producer crying "piracy hurts us" when Netflix is a proven platform. If it and the other platforms weren't regionally locked, they'd have even more revenue. Who's fault is it that these are region locked? The damn companies who made these ancient monopoly agreements and they aren't saying a word because they know it's biting them in the ass.

Piracy hurts a broad range of markets, but the stubborn and ignorant way of handling it has cost the different industries far more money than simply adapting to it in the first place, which was public advice given for just as long as they've been trying to fight it.

Simple and easy access, fair prices and customer benefits is guaranteed to have some positive effect.

They have to get rid of the old mentality where only the biggest hits are worth investing in (such as the stupid amount of World of Warcraft clones or the likely attempts at finding the next "Game of Thrones"). Smaller projects can do just fine, whether they're series, games or movies.
What's the point of every movie release being a multi million dollar reboot of old stuff, if people moan and roll their eyes at these? Why not split the budget into five or maybe even ten smaller movies that might become cult classics?
The series I've enjoyed the most haven't been the most expensive ones, but the most creative ones with fresh actors and new content.

"Game of Thrones" is apparently one of the most pirated TV series in the UK.

"Game of Thrones" is also not on any of the "normal" TV channels and can only be watched if you have Sky.

these two things are ultimately connected.

imo they have to (re ?) learn to view TV more like radio.

Aggieknight:
"piracy" is not the problem, but a symptom.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head. This amply sums up the very issue of what I always say about piracy. The cause is elsewhere. This is only the effect.

Plunkies:
"...pointing out that in searching for House of Cards she was unable to find Netflix as an option in the first 50 hits of a Google search."

Well, she's either a liar or an imbecile. Wikipedia, IMDB, Netflix, Facebook, Amazon. Those are the first 5 I get. There's also a giant google window on the right that tells you the network is Netflix, the awards its won, where you can purchase it and for how much. Scrolling through the first 50 results I couldn't find a single site from which to pirate the show.

The amusing thing is that Google sort of tries to tailor your search results to you. So maybe she's just been surfing too many pirate sites so Google's code is helping her out.

Most of these HBO (or whatever) shows just kind of sit in limbo for me. I don't watch enough to be paying for the premium channels, and with no actual means to gauge interest, I don't have any incentive to throw down 30+ dollars on the DVDs or go hunting for download options of any sort.

Plunkies:
"...pointing out that in searching for House of Cards she was unable to find Netflix as an option in the first 50 hits of a Google search."

Well, she's either a liar or an imbecile. Wikipedia, IMDB, Netflix, Facebook, Amazon. Those are the first 5 I get. There's also a giant google window on the right that tells you the network is Netflix, the awards its won, where you can purchase it and for how much. Scrolling through the first 50 results I couldn't find a single site from which to pirate the show.

ooooor, a pirate. Google will tailor results to whomever is logged in. I take it you aren't a pirate, but that leaves a question about Hurd.

No like the record lables crying about Napster back in the day they need to wake the fuck up stop being such greedy old fucking farts and evolve with the times. When the FREE PIRATES offer a better service the the one you paying out the ass for......its not the consumers fault or even googles, they fuck themselves over constantly by churning out crap and then telling us we should be greatful. Fuck that and fuck them. Give ppl an option or stop crying. Pick one. its 2014 its the internet is the norm now. region locking is retarded.

Here in the UK you can only get Game of Thrones if you have Sky.+ TV License for one show in a sea of constant repeats and bullshit. I mean ffs there is a TV show here where you watch ppl watching fucking TV. TV License is like £120+ a year then your monthly Sky sub £40+ ?........

Are there any statistics on the actual effect piracy is having on sales? Most people I know who pirate say they just wouldn't bother watching it otherwise. Either because they don't buy DVDs, subscribe to cable, or work their lives around being able to catch something when it airs. I mean, yeah, sales are going down across the board, but most of that can be attributed to the wider range of options people have for their entertainment. Things has changed significantly since Gale Ann Hurd broke out in the entertainment industry.

I live in a country where Netflix simply does not exist and where we get game of thrones seasons way out of date, as in season 3 hasn't aired yet.

I can see why people who want to follow the show and not get spoiled go for the pirated version.

I cleaned out my room in the last week and realized that I have about 1000 dvd's.
If I see something I like I buy the dvd for it because I like the higher resolutions and dvd extras.

So... why should I be made to feel like an asshole for wanting to see things as they are released (and hence not get them spoiled) when if it's any good I go and buy it later anyway...

Piracy isn't hurting the content creators that badly, it's just making it accessible somewhere that a monopoly on distribution methods is being enforced.

Know how much it cost to see Game of Thrones in Australia? $49 an episode on Foxtel.

What other methods are there of legally watching it for the next year? None.

It's a joke.

We just got Season 3 in February.

Also that's something popular, you should talk to our sci fi girls who want their hit of Supernatural, they are years and years out of date.

Where I live you have to pay close to $100 a month to watch Game of Thrones on foxtel, I don't even think The Walking Dead is available here in any legitimate way! Hell, we can't even watch most of our national sport because channel 7 is so stingy and have to pay almost $50 to watch the other games (which are normally much better than the free to air with no craptastic commentary!). If they want us to stop pirating (I think Australia was #1 in the world for pirating Game of Thrones) give it to us at a reasonable price!

I also googled House of Cards and Netflix was the eight result, I can't even watch Netflix here!

I don't agree with pircacey generally

but then they want to fucking PUNISH people for pirateing Game of Thones in Australia...a country that has no netflix, no legit way of seeing the shows they want first...except for Foxtel

well thats bullshit

First thing: content creators is a blanket term. When we're talking about TV shows, it could actually be a serious problem. In my opinion, because the distributors aren't making it easy or convenient enough. That's not entitlement, we're in an age where you can access content you like within a minute and in your own time, and cable companies still think people want to shell out for a contract that gives them a mixture of content they don't necessarily want. I'd like to see substantiation, as well, by the way. It's not enough to tell me something is happening when we see about the most pirated thing since merchant vessels, Game of Thrones, doing pretty damn well.

Second thing: Will, won't. Eventually. She's not saying this situation has happened now, and therefore, can't say with any certainty that it will ever happen. I am of the mind that shows on Netflix and similar services will continue to do as well as they do now.

Third thing: I get Netflix as about the seventh link when I search House of Cards, and it's pages before I get to a stream or torrent. Don't know what she's on about there.

Fourth thing: Australia.

The problem that strikes me every day with these big popular shows is simply a lack of availability.

I live in Australia, so I can't watch it (and other shows) when it first airs in the US, the problem is that I play several MMORPGs and MOBAs, have lot's of friends from the US and Canada that I talk to every day, not to mention the amount of people from around the world I have on social media.

Basically my options are:
A. Drop my entire life, don't log onto Mumble/vent, don't log on or even look at twitter, facebook, tumblr, don't play games that have a chat box, metaphorically put my hands over my ears and start singing row, row, row your boat, until it airs in Australia and I can watch it spoiler free.

B. Torrent it as soon as it's finished airing (usually available within 30 mins) and watch it straight away and continue on with whatever else I had planned for the day.

If they didn't want high profile shows like GoT and TWD to be pirated, all it would take is for them to stream it online for a small cost ($1.99 or whatever) at the same time that it airs on TV or make it purchasable online at a small price as soon as it airs.

If they did either one of those things, I'd happily shell out 2 or 3 bucks to watch it at the same time other people do so I don't have it ruined before it airs here.

It is exactly what Gaben has said in the past, it's about convenience... when the choices are avoid everything online for 24+ hours (up to months and years) and watch it with 12 3 minute ad breaks or watch it ad free 30 minutes after it airs meaning you can go about business as usual, the choice is easy.

It doesn't help that our shithouse current government trashed the entire National Broadband Network (from 100/40 Fibre to the premises to 93% of the population down to a non-guaranteed 25/5 "multi technology mix" that still uses COPPER to less than 65% of the population) meaning our chances of getting any decent streaming services, like netflix, are slim at best.

Vault101:
I don't agree with pircacey generally

but then they want to fucking PUNISH people for pirateing Game of Thones in Australia...a country that has no netflix, no legit way of seeing the shows they want first...except for Foxtel

well thats bullshit

nb foxtel is garbage , its like comcast from south park but in real life , expensive as all heck too.

Well, she says there's a huge shortage of money but who's telling her that? The head guys at AMC obviously.

So, let me ask you guys something. What if the head guys at AMC are lying to her in order to look like the victim and get more money?

Just a thought.

Sanunes:

It's not that simple.

Let's say that the piracy apologists are right, and increasing the general audience's size with pirates, leads to increased word of mouth, and more legit viewers as well, enough to change ratings for the better.

In that case, there would STILL be a number of shows that just fail to turn a profit, because that's how an economy works, there must always be a marginal value, and someone inevitably has to hang just around the margin.

It's the same deal as with appealing to the poor indie game developers who are starving due to piracy: Are some developers earning less than others? Yes. Are we living in a golden age of gaming, where more studios, an individuals earn more money than ever before? Yes.

You can't treat piracy as a huge problem, just because you could theoretically imagine the industry being even bigger, than it's current vital and quickly growing self.

At best, free culture is actively leading people into fandoms, and making them end up paying for more entertainment, but IP holders want to end this just so they can more directly control the public.

And even at worst, if it isn't really helpful or beneficial, we are only talking about some freeloaders getting their own benefit from what is already a huge boom for others anyways, it's like having your whole house turn into solid gold by magic, and then yelling at psserbies for stealing your also golden mailbox.

One of my truest held beliefs is the idea that free expression of culture and ideas is so important to the growth of humanity as a whole, that to restrict it in any form, including behind pay walls, is detrimental to our growth as a species. Through the information age humans have developed a wider understanding of themselves and a wider array of, truly, thoughts. Our minds have been expanded, and artistic expression is one of the key factors behind it. Humans share their ideas and culture through art, and it is through that that humans will find their "salvation". That is why I believe a person should attempt to expand their mind in any way they can, including piracy if need be. Stanley Kubrick's The Shining changed my life with the points it makes and the thoughts it sowed in my mind. Straight up, the world would be a better place if every human had the opportunity to experience the human experience through art as in depth as they could were it freely accessible. Luckily, due to the beauties of the information age, it is.

Also, I must add that artists making a living is important, I support paying for art that touches you if you can.

Count_A'ight:
If I want to watch say The Last Starfighter again to relive the awesomeness of the film, I'll check to see if it available on Netflix to stream. If it is not available(only available on DVD), I'll hit a few sites that do have it available for streaming. I like Netflix and HBOgo as both sites stream well quickly with excellent quality, yet if their libraries are lacking, I know where to go to get my fix.

Amazon possibly to purchase a legit copy?

Just because a library is lacking, doesn't mean you get to steal it man. You have numerous options to find what it is you want. It might not be in the format you wish, but don't forget that as special as the customer might think they are sometimes, they are NEVER entitled to theft.

Plunkies:

Truth. I find that very often (especially true in politics), people with a lot of power relative to you and I who really, really want something done will cite justifications for which that have no proof, generally it's just something someone told them that they accepted at face value, or it's a deliberate lie because they know they have more ability to disseminate nonsense than you or I do to combat it with, you know, facts. (FWIW, I think Gale Ann Hurd falls in the former camp. I think she doesn't know WTF she's talking about.) Since our wonderful politicians are so often really, really out of touch - I mean seriously, does anyone really believe Verizon's bullshit claim that they have to destroy net neutrality because disabled people? - it's easy to get policy made that vast, vast majorities of people hate. I feel like GAH was giving the same spiel she'd give at a fundraiser to a sympathetic legislator or the President.

What I find disturbing however, isn't that a hollywood bigwig thinks the solution to their perceived financial woes is to destroy consumer rights. It's that in the original Guardian interview, the interviewer just let her make that bullshit claim without questioning further. I mean seriously, has he even used the Internet before ever? Journalistic malpractice IMO.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.