Sorry Amazon, but the FAA is Still Banning Delivery Drones

Pages PREV 1 2

Strazdas:

If a mailman enters your property to bring you mail and you shoot him, taking his wallet is still theft. and the sheer lunacy of having laws where you are allowed to shoot anything entering your properly already shows how badly the laws need changing.

I should point out that the law pertains to the disabling, confiscation and potential destruction of objects and vehicles abandoned or illegally operated on an individual's land. It does not allow you to shoot the post man.

That's what's going to make these drones difficult for Amazon here in the UK. If they go above 500ft they're in UK airspace and have an arse load of paperwork to fill in for every single drone and every possible route it could fly at that height (lest it argue with a light aircraft or Apache out on a training run). If they go under that height they're in people's property as far as the law cares and they're either going to need written permission from everyone they might overfly, or they're going to have accept that I can totally shoot one down if it annoys me by flying over my house.

Or they can wait for the law to change...

Clive Howlitzer:

venn2011:

Clive Howlitzer:
Government once again standing in the way of any sort of innovation. I am not saying that delivery drones are going to be a huge innovation or don't have problems but it is sad how fast the government steps in to stop anything from progressing, ever.

Normally I would neither agree or disagree to comments like this, but this time I'm actually glad that the government stepping in early to put a break on this.

Everyone is thinking of some lunatic mischief or some crazy guy with shotgun gunning for free prizes... but I'm thinking of a possible new way for terrorists to deliver so called "package bombs." Even if drone delivery is someday approved, I'd imagine that not too long after some terrorist organization will join the fray and hope to blend in with all the delivery drones flying around... And all it takes is one successful drone version of 9-11 to rain on Amazon's parade & drown it completely underwater.

You are right, we had better halt all progress on everything that could potentially be used as a weapon for terrorists. No offense but that kind of paranoid fear is exactly what drives me nuts nowadays. Everyone is so obsessed with stopping some kind of phantom threat, that we cannot move forward anywhere. In fact, we keep taking several steps backward.
I work for a police force and I can tell you that lunatics will find a way to circumvent any and all systems, to deliver their craziness if they are determined enough. If you spend your whole life afraid of them, and refuse to use anything that could be turned into a weapon against you. You might as well just lock yourself in a padded room and never go outside.

Haha. I suppose you're right, but that's not what I'm advocating. I suppose bad guys will do bad things no matter what the law says or does, but it's not always a paranoia to voice some concerns, is it? I must say I rather find you paranoid, voicing such strong disapproval... because I never said anything about stopping any progress. You work for law enforcement? Good for you. But it sounds like to me you just don't want any of the other side of the opinion, if such simple words are all it takes to drive you nuts... no offense.

Clive Howlitzer:
Government once again standing in the way of any sort of innovation. I am not saying that delivery drones are going to be a huge innovation or don't have problems but it is sad how fast the government steps in to stop anything from progressing, ever.

Considering how much damage a bird can do to a commercial aircraft on impact, an errant drone could cause much more.

venn2011:

Clive Howlitzer:

venn2011:

Normally I would neither agree or disagree to comments like this, but this time I'm actually glad that the government stepping in early to put a break on this.

Everyone is thinking of some lunatic mischief or some crazy guy with shotgun gunning for free prizes... but I'm thinking of a possible new way for terrorists to deliver so called "package bombs." Even if drone delivery is someday approved, I'd imagine that not too long after some terrorist organization will join the fray and hope to blend in with all the delivery drones flying around... And all it takes is one successful drone version of 9-11 to rain on Amazon's parade & drown it completely underwater.

You are right, we had better halt all progress on everything that could potentially be used as a weapon for terrorists. No offense but that kind of paranoid fear is exactly what drives me nuts nowadays. Everyone is so obsessed with stopping some kind of phantom threat, that we cannot move forward anywhere. In fact, we keep taking several steps backward.
I work for a police force and I can tell you that lunatics will find a way to circumvent any and all systems, to deliver their craziness if they are determined enough. If you spend your whole life afraid of them, and refuse to use anything that could be turned into a weapon against you. You might as well just lock yourself in a padded room and never go outside.

Haha. I suppose you're right, but that's not what I'm advocating. I suppose bad guys will do bad things no matter what the law says or does, but it's not always a paranoia to voice some concerns, is it? I must say I rather find you paranoid, voicing such strong disapproval... because I never said anything about stopping any progress. You work for law enforcement? Good for you. But it sounds like to me you just don't want any of the other side of the opinion, if such simple words are all it takes to drive you nuts... no offense.

I was driven nuts? I am just exaggerating because this is an internet forum. I care a lot less than my words here might make you believe. I gladly welcome other opinions. This is just the internet, so everyone is extreme on either end, I have to join in!

Clive Howlitzer:

venn2011:

Clive Howlitzer:

I was driven nuts? I am just exaggerating because this is an internet forum. I care a lot less than my words here might make you believe. I gladly welcome other opinions. This is just the internet, so everyone is extreme on either end, I have to join in!

Hahaha. Yeah, you are right... the internet can be very extreme. But let me tell ya, I do understand that people who think like you are just worried about our nation as a whole overreacting & going down a wrong path. And I agree to that. But what can I say? No matter how much we love or hate it, the subject of terrorist threats is real and must be taken into account. That's all I wanted to say, really.

venn2011:

Hahaha. Yeah, you are right... the internet can be very extreme. But let me tell ya, I do understand that people who think like you are just worried about our nation as a whole overreacting & going down a wrong path. And I agree to that. But what can I say? No matter how much we love or hate it, the subject of terrorist threats is real and must be taken into account. That's all I wanted to say, really.

It is probably just a touchy subject for me because I don't like the idea of sacrificing liberty for the sake of a little security. Since it is something we do on a regular basis. Terrorists never have to do anything because you get treated like a potential criminal in your own country everywhere you go. However, this is becoming a bit of a tangent. On the topic of the drones, I just think the laws need to be looked at again. They should look things over, rather than writing it all off entirely right from the get go.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.