Supercomputer Will Manage Nuclear Weapons

Pages PREV 1 2

Jandau:
If I ever end up at the head of a company given a contract to design a supercomputer to manage a nuclear arsenal, I'd call it Skynet, just to see what happens. I mean, everyone's gonna make the reference regardless of what I call it, so I might as well just go for it myself.

If you do, you should introduce it to Cyberdyne and get the ball rolling on this.

You people do realize that this computer will not have capabilities to LAUNCH nuclear weapons? At the most it will monitor them and make calculations before a launch that needs human approval. It won't even be connected in any way to the parts that ignite the rockets.

OH MY GOD!!!! They've built Peace Walker!!!

I was going to make a comment about War Games, but apparently I was beaten to it.

Is it just me that thinks they shouldn't have to build the computer in the first place?

The constant retarded threat of MAD (through nuclear strikes) is just threatening to take your ball, and going home to burn it, taken to the extreme.

I wish we (by that I mean the human race as a whole) could just do away with that bullshit, once and for all. Not build a fucking supercomputer to see if we can still use old nukes to kill nearly every living thing on this planet a decade or two from now.

fitting capcha: filthy dirty mess

A supercomputer that controls nuclear weapons?

JD?

So this is coming with half life 3 pre-installed, right?

Do you think Obama sneaks down to his nukes some nights and strokes them lovingly, whispering "you puppies are legal and aaaaaalllll mine baby!"
Cos...you know...id probably do the same if i had nukes.

Do not, I repeat DO NOT let playful teenage hackers anywhere near this thing.

"The only winning move is not to play,", anyone?

Cecilthedarkknight_234:
Welp I'm heading off for my custom fallout vault anyone care to join to me?

Well it depends, can you guarantee our vault will be one of the ones from which a hero will one day emerge to single handedly save the world? Because evidence would suggest that a terrible fate awaits the inhabitants of any vaults not required to one day produce a Fallout protagonist.

OT: In reality this story is just seems to be a case of "Government department upgrades IT infrastructure".

TallanKhan:

Cecilthedarkknight_234:
Welp I'm heading off for my custom fallout vault anyone care to join to me?

Well it depends, can you guarantee our vault will be one of the ones from which a hero will one day emerge to single handedly save the world? Because evidence would suggest that a terrible fate awaits the inhabitants of any vaults not required to one day produce a Fallout protagonist.

OT: In reality this story is just seems to be a case of "Government department upgrades IT infrastructure".

Yeah, but it is a very impressive upgrade. I mean just look at those numbers.

Come on, we've all seen WarGames (I hope). Some dumbass is probably going to hack into that and trigger WW3. Can't we just stick to launch codes, or just send all those nukes into the sun or something?

youji itami:

Astalano:
One supercomputer in charge of ALL the nuclear weapons?

There is no way this could end badly. No sir.

It's not for controlling the weapons it's for measuring there state of decay so that we know if the ones that were manufactured years ago would still work if used 10 years from now.

Which it seems totally overkill for. I'd bet a buck that Los Alamos is going to be using this baby for a lot of stuff beyond what appears in their press releases.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here