Germans May Ditch Email for Typewriters to Foil NSA

Pages PREV 1 2

The Enquirer:
They could just use a regular computer, because, you know, there's a reason we went from typewriters to word processors, and ensure it doesn't have any network connectivity to deal with the whole Orwellian thing.

Yeah, really. Without internet connectivity, your computer is pretty much a stylish typewriter. Shouldn't these guys be spying on Russia? (Yeah, even though we heard from a Russian Escapist that the computers were still running Windows 95.)

Strazdas:

grey_space:
Obviously they've never played Civ 4. Nothing pisses off your allies more.

what? i played civ 4 for over 400 hours and never once i had an ally pissed for having my spies in thier territory.

Been playing it now for the past few weeks up to 283 hours. If the spy gets caught it'll give you either a minus 1 or a minus 2. It's not an enormous effect but it's tipped me over a couple of times from them being 'friendly' to 'pleased' or from 'pleased' to 'cautious'.

So instead of leaving a digital paper trail, they want to go back to leaving actual paper trails?

I mean yes the NSA would not be able to see/hear whats happening but doesn't this just means the CIA gets to go back to doing what it does? you know good old actual spies on the ground?

Its funny tho they cry foul about espionage when every major country does it. Just so happens the US is very bad at hiding its own espionage efforts, or so we hear.

grey_space:

Strazdas:

grey_space:
Obviously they've never played Civ 4. Nothing pisses off your allies more.

what? i played civ 4 for over 400 hours and never once i had an ally pissed for having my spies in thier territory.

Been playing it now for the past few weeks up to 283 hours. If the spy gets caught it'll give you either a minus 1 or a minus 2. It's not an enormous effect but it's tipped me over a couple of times from them being 'friendly' to 'pleased' or from 'pleased' to 'cautious'.

i see, makes sense, i sort of gave up on spy missions. expensive and low sucess chance, not worth it IMO.

I guess it depends on strategy, im the one that does not go for finances but rather invest into technology rush and labour improvements so i usually only have spare money in the endgame.

Augustine:

GamerAddict7796:

Seriously, America, have you stopped trying to stop people hating you?

People honestly still believe that people of US are in any way represented by the people who do this?
Approval rating of the federal government is in single digits, if I recall correctly.

And I am not even sure anymore if Feds have much control over NSA anymore. It's a tax-sponsored cancerous growth at this point.

If you keep voting for those people then yes, you are represented by those people. Every democracy has the government it deserves.

Edit: Switched out a word because brainfart.

RoonMian:

Augustine:

GamerAddict7796:

Seriously, America, have you stopped trying to stop people hating you?

People honestly still believe that people of US are in any way represented by the people who do this?
Approval rating of the federal government is in single digits, if I recall correctly.

And I am not even sure anymore if Feds have much control over NSA anymore. It's a tax-sponsored cancerous growth at this point.

If you keep voting for those people then yes, you are represented by those people. Every democracy has the government it deserves.

Edit: Switched out a word because brainfart.

Well if money didn't have an ability to influence people, they wouldn't be poured in to the system so much. Since corporations are, you know, people according to the Supreme Court...
People who are allowed to drown all other people with their money-powered brand of freedom of speech.

But this is a tangential discussion.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or