Mass Effect: The Mako Returns - Update

Pages PREV 1 2

Sanunes:
Now that doesn't mean the numbers haven't changed in the years since Dragon Age Origins, but I don't think it has progressed to the point of being a majority either.

The hell...? We're talking about Mass Effect, you realize. Turians, Quarians, Asari, Geth, Krogan, and all the rest. DA:O has nothing to do with it. O_o
Now if you want to bring in some statistical data on the ME3 multiplayer choices, that would be a lot more relevant.
Personally, I'd love the chance to be a Geth again, but I understand there's only so much you can do with customization when your character is a flashlight under metal plating.

Regarding the Mako, I loved it, flaws and all. For all its poor handling, there was nothing quite like launching a tank off a mountain and landing it on some poor SOB's face.

Firstly, the Mako was incredibly easy to use. If you complain I guess the best I can say is: Git Gud.

Secondly, the problem with the Mako was that when you used it, it was the most boring part of a pretty boring game, so why would you possibly want to return it to the series? I mean, getting as far away from Mass Effect 1 and its long boring but still clearly linear segments is the best idea ever.

EDIT: Actually bothering to watch that video has shown the Mako is actually far less slow then it was in ME 1, and handles more like a car then a moon lander buggy, so thats pretty damn good.

Joos:
Even though I didn't quite like the way the mako handled in ME1, I loved the idea behind it; free exploration. That is what I missed most in ME2 and 3.

If the next installation of ME has planets that are procedurally generated with random things, encounters and lore to find, I will squee with joy. And obviously said exploration should be done in a next gen mako. With somewhat real physics please. *goes to play spintyres*

I don't understand this. Exploration of dull and boring worlds? Whats the point? Especially when everything was copy pasted to save costs on making such things happen. In the end, it just meant ME 1 was a dull but still super linear game that let you run off and play an even duller massive amount of segments which you got sick of after the second planet because they were all the same with different horribly textured mountain ranges done in a slightly different colour and simply done to draw out a 12 hour game into a horrible 50 hour slog. The main mission planets were the only thing you could actually do anything interesting on and they were essentially really boring versions of exactly what you got in ME 2 and 3.

Plus, every single building on those worlds was a copy pasta. And the increased costs of including these areas forced them to cut costs on the things that were actually pretty good, which is why ME 2 and 3 are so much better in every way.

For the discussion Mako vs. Hammerhead that some people here started. The controls of the Mako weren't the best and definitely needed improvement. the Hammerhead had great controls but whoever the idiot was that decided the thing doesn't need a shield deserves to be shot, also the gun of the Hammerhead was awful. Since it was made out of paper I regularly tried to shot the enemies from a distance where they couldn't hit me. The problem with that approach was that the gun often decided that the target I was directly pointing at was the wrong target. That resulted in the projectile making a curve and hitting neither my target or the target that the AI chose.

Both things needed a lot of improvement and makes me question how much they tested the things (in case of the Hammerhead I doubt that they tested it on higher difficulties where a single geth with a standard assault rifle was enough to destroy it).

Now to the new vehicle, is it just me or does the design look more like a space SUV than a military vehicle?

Brian Tams:

I liked the Mako but could understand why people disliked it. It had the mobility of a barn, and a lot of the Mako levels featured insta-kill lava that would cause the Mako to spontaneously combust if it so much as brushed it.

Honestly, they should have replaced it with the Hammerhead, which was the hover-tank thing that was featured in some Mass Effect 2 DLC. Much better mobility, awesome vehicle, shame it was just for a handful of DLC missions.

Use the Hammerhead from ME2 for exploration segments like in ME1, and you have a recipe for success.

If Bioware is smart, they'll add in hover jets as one of those customization options they're talking about and let the players basically just make a Hammerhead if they want it.

I had tons of fun with the original Mako. Glad to see it back.
From what I could see in the video, there seems to be some exploration on open terrain. Unless that was just for the demo's purposes.
I just hope it's not like the Hammerhead's missions - pre-determened narrow path, with little to no exploration.

Kieve:

Sanunes:
Now that doesn't mean the numbers haven't changed in the years since Dragon Age Origins, but I don't think it has progressed to the point of being a majority either.

The hell...? We're talking about Mass Effect, you realize. Turians, Quarians, Asari, Geth, Krogan, and all the rest. DA:O has nothing to do with it. O_o
Now if you want to bring in some statistical data on the ME3 multiplayer choices, that would be a lot more relevant.
Personally, I'd love the chance to be a Geth again, but I understand there's only so much you can do with customization when your character is a flashlight under metal plating.

Regarding the Mako, I loved it, flaws and all. For all its poor handling, there was nothing quite like launching a tank off a mountain and landing it on some poor SOB's face.

DA:O does have some relevance to this, they're both Bioware games, it's likely that Bioware would look at demographics of their games to find any similarities and popular features.

PiercedMonk:
The mako was great. I never understood the hate for it.

You couldn't crash into geth colossi, or drive over mercenaries with the Hammerhead.

Spent so many hours driving around random moons and planets on that thing, I thought it had really nice movement and a unique low-gravity bounce to it.
Sure it was an insanely strong armored death machine, but the game awarded significantly less exp from mako kills, to give a nice risk / reward aspect.
<3 Mako

Kieve:

Or how they could possibly build a story around being a Geth player character when AIs are widely hated and feared throughout the entire Mass Effect universe, Geth in particular. In fact, that's probably the real reason they're sticking with human protagonists. Humans can go just about everywhere and do just about anything in the Mass Effect universe with little impediment involved, so they're just much easier to make a plot for. Not to mention the clusterf*** the inevitable romance options would be with having to take a nonhuman protagonist options into account.

That said, Hanar and Geth player characters would still be incredibly awesome regardless.

Oh thank God. Exploring in the Mako was half the fun of the first game.

"will be during Shepard's lifetime but won't involve Shepard."

So it seems like Bioware are going to take the easy route of the interquel, rather than dealing with the elephant in the room.

Can't truly say I blame them. Making a direct sequel would require cleaning up the huge mess left in the wake of the ending and I can imagine that a sizeable chunk of the fandom would find any reminders of the event quite unpleasant.

More Mako sounds good to me. I can see why people didn't like the Mako in ME1, but I really enjoyed it. It certainly had it's issues in terms of control and the level design that almost went out of it's way to make things harder than they should have been. What it felt like and represented, however, were cool enough to make me overlook the issues. I liked the ability to just land on a planet and explore. The use of the Mako made it feel more like an expansive adventure.

What does give me pause about this panel is actually that ME4 may take place during the timeline of ME1-3. I'm not sure about that. I mean, it's nice that it means things will likely be fairly familiar but given the scope of the universe shown in the MEE games I was sort of hoping for more diversity.. more time and space, not less. It's certainly possible that given the size of the universe you won't be dealing with or hearing about Shepherd at all but with the gravity of Shepherd's actions and storyline it seems impossible that there won't at least be some crossover.

Kieve:

I was arguing that using the word majority probably is an exaggeration on how many people want the ability to play another race in a single player game. I used the only example I had that shows minority of players played something other then a human player in a single player BioWare game.

We really don't know how many people really played the multiplayer game that also played the singleplayer campaign so even if I could find the numbers saying that Turian class was the most played in the game how representative of it if only a third of the people that bought the game played multiplayer?

The mako itself wasn't that bad, but the planet exploration itself sucked and that crazy terrain didn't help.

It doesn't even look like the Mako anymore. Sure this is a prototype build, and everything is subject to change, but aside from the colour of the chassis, and the amount of wheels, this: image
looks nothing like this:
I mean c'mon! It doesn't even have that cannon!

Souplex:
Also, did anyone ever actually dislike the Mako? As far as I can tell it was five people yelling really loudly.

It was quite temperemental to control on the PC version and for some inexplicable reason prone to falling through the level.

Anyone who didn't like the console variant was just bad at steering and aiming at the same time!

PS, I am delighted to see the Mako back, not least because it means that exploration should be coming back, hooray exploration!

ZodiacBraves:

The Great JT:
I'm on board. I wasn't big on the Mako sections in ME1, but maybe they've improved the controls (which was really my only gripe).

Question, did you Play the console or pc version of ME1? I ask because I didn't really care for driving the Mako on the consoles, but when I bought it for the pc they much have updated the controls/physics somewhat because I remember having a genuine blast driving the Mako around in the PC version.

Console. My computer's nowhere near good enough to handle Mass Effect.

Blachman201:
Can't truly say I blame them. Making a direct sequel would require cleaning up the huge mess left in the wake of the ending left and I can imagine that a sizeable chunk of the fandom would find any reminders of the event quite unpleasant.

ME4 is a giant reminder, the only way there can be healing is if they move beyond it ... or just go alternate universe. If the ME3 ending just keeps hanging over anything you do in the ME games it will never stop festering.

Loved the Mako and hope that the crap but fun controls stay the same.

Nothing like running over a Geth Colossus, firing a cannon at it then running it over again or hitting a normal geth and watching it fly across the surface of a random moon.

People are too used to normal vehicles. They can't handle the changes and try to drive it like a normal car, which it isn't, in what they think is an Earth environment, which it isn't. With practice, it's not that difficult to take the drifting and flipping and actually start using them as tools for mobility rather than obstacles.

I do agree that the instadeath holes were kind of silly.

Oh come on, how can people not love this beast of a vehicle?

Sanunes:
I was arguing that using the word majority probably is an exaggeration on how many people want the ability to play another race in a single player game. I used the only example I had that shows minority of players played something other then a human player in a single player BioWare game.

I was perhaps a bit aggressive in phrasing myself, but my point was that it's comparing the figurative apples and oranges. DA:O had three playable races and IMO there wasn't a whole lot to really set them apart visually - Humans, Pretty Humans with Pointy Ears, and Short Stocky Humans. You can argue gameplay stats and racial bonuses, I suppose, but appearance-wise, there's only a minor amount of difference. Mass Effect on the other paw, there's a lot of visual difference, and significantly more races to choose from. It'd be like studying housecats to learn about lions - about the only relevant comparison is they're both feline (/single-player RPGs).

We really don't know how many people really played the multiplayer game that also played the singleplayer campaign so even if I could find the numbers saying that Turian class was the most played in the game how representative of it if only a third of the people that bought the game played multiplayer?

I see what you're getting at there, and I do agree to some extent. Of all the people who played singleplayer only, how many would hypothetically pick a different race if they could? And the way multiplayer is structured by class presents its own wrinkle - who would play a Vorcha Infiltrator, if they could? Or a biotic Geth? There's a lot of variables that make it tough to paint a whole picture, of which only Bioware has access to. Personally, I think this the most telling evidence that Mass Effect players do want other playable races. They gave us Turian, Salarian, Asari, Quarian, and Drell with initial release - and then went on to add Batarians, Krogans, Vorcha, Volus, Geth, and even an "Awakened Collector" (plus more humans in different armor styles). Hell, the only ones I think missing from that list are the Hanar and Elcor.

Sadly, I also realize that Bioware's narrative-driven structure just isn't conductive to the same racial freedom games like the Elder Scrolls series can enjoy - at minimum, it would mean new voice actors, models / animations, and armor customizations for most races (Turian and Krogan come to mind, in particular). Given all the dialogue and scenes that go into their games, it would create a very substantial resource sink trying to clone every narrative path from Human into Turian / Salarian / etc. Resources that would be much better spent on expanding and fleshing out what's already there.

So yeah, even if all the statistics did align and say "Players want option X as a single-player character," I don't think we'd get it, simply because of the way Bioware's RPGs are structured. But hey, a cat can dream.

Laggyteabag:
It doesn't even look like the Mako anymore. Sure this is a prototype build, and everything is subject to change, but aside from the colour of the chassis, and the amount of wheels, this: image
looks nothing like this:
I mean c'mon! It doesn't even have that cannon!

Yeah... that was my first thought seeing it as well. "IDK what that is, but it sure ain't a Mako!" Although if I can still bunny-hop it onto a Geth Colossus at 100mph, I won't complain too much.

EDIT:

immortalfrieza:

Kieve:

Or how they could possibly build a story around being a Geth player character when AIs are widely hated and feared throughout the entire Mass Effect universe, Geth in particular. In fact, that's probably the real reason they're sticking with human protagonists. Humans can go just about everywhere and do just about anything in the Mass Effect universe with little impediment involved, so they're just much easier to make a plot for. Not to mention the clusterf*** the inevitable romance options would be with having to take a nonhuman protagonist options into account.

That said, Hanar and Geth player characters would still be incredibly awesome regardless.

This makes me think I would love to see a "Mass Effect Chronicles" game, in the vein of Sin City or Pulp Fiction - a bunch of shorter single-player campaigns with different characters that all kind of intertwine to form a more complete narrative.

Kieve:
[trimmed for length]

The reason why in Origins they were able to have different player races is for the same reason why you feel Mass Effect would do it better, for they could reuse all the animations and models from a human character and use it for the other races. The issue with Mass Effect is how many of the different scenes would need to be animated multiple times for each of the different races for they couldn't cut and paste a human model and animation for one scene and then just reuse it for a Krogan.

I think the problem BioWare faces with Mass Effect over Dragon Age is they might have to pick and choose what races could be available for the workload I would imagine for including all the ones they have already show in the past games would be a vast amount of work to make sure all the different cinematic moments would work. So they will need to try one of the following I think the first would be to deal with the negativity with having only a human protagonist, the second would be to have some additional races and deal with the negativity around not having someones "favorite" race, and finally deal with the negativity of including all the races and deal with negativity of areas that might need to be sacrificed or imagined to be sacrificed to include it.

Of course if they would include it I probably would eventually play something besides a human to see if the game reacts any differently.

Aww and i was hoping the new mass effect game would be an mmofps.
Oh well.

Souplex:
*Tries to contain squee*
This pleases Souplex.
Next thing you're going to tell me they're doing away with thermal clips, and declare the ending of 3 non-canon.

Also, did anyone ever actually dislike the Mako? As far as I can tell it was five people yelling really loudly.

I felt like mass effect 1 had some really great ideas that neededa little polish. Unfortunately Bioware threw out the baby with the bath water. Instead of fixing and refining the make, they just threw it out. They should have done what Kingdom Hearts did. I hated the gummi ship section in KH1, but instead of throwing it out they got creative and made it better in the sequel.

Yes! In your face, haters. In all seriousness I can understand why it was so divisive, but I'm happy it's back. Now I can scale near vertical rock faces like a boss.

mako was okay, what you did with it was boring. roaming barren empty worlds that look like half-developed game levels was very boring.

mass effect without shepard though? thats like lord of the rings without a hobbit. that's like a super hero movie with a sidekick. that's like popcorn without butter. that's like ..nevermind

I 'm happy with its return with one condition. Not having 80% of the missions take place in himalayan region of that particular planet. Don't get me wrong I loved the planet exploring some of those skyboxes were beautiful, but having to constantly climb mountains/mountain ranges and sheer cliffs got tiring.

I'm glad they aren't doing any more Shepard, time for a new protagonist.

I'm glad they are bringing back the mako. I just hope the planets are more interesting to explore, it was always fun at first then got dull. I know in reality the vast majority of the planets out there are going to be barren rocks, but still. You have hot blue alien chicks that can have sex with everyone. Why get realistic with this?

I'm still hoping they'll just retcon everything, cause the entirety of the third Mass Effect was just a disaster that needs to be buried.

Otherwise, I'll have to get my game fix of sci-fi chick kicking ass from Fallout 4, Wasteland 2, hopefully Cyberpunk 2077, and maybe Disney will push the order through for someone to make KOTOR3 or some similar RPG Star Wars that's not a MMO.

Simskiller:
-snip for Mako gif-

Heh, has someone been messing with their game files? ^^

OT: I can say nothing about this, other than: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

I loved the Mako in both the 360 and PC versions of the game to absolute pieces. I've never understood how anyone could not like such a responsive little go-getter with an enormous range of movement. Especially one that could take enormous punishment before ramming head long into a Geth colossus and riding over top of it as if to say: "I own you now, bitch. Gettin' all uppity with me, with your fancy head-lamp and electric gun thing. Stay down."

Also, leaping off cliffs in a tank with its own in-built deceleration system is damn fun.

The Hammerhead isn't a patch on the Mako. Yes, it hovers, but who wants something made of paper, that bursts into flame when a gun is so much as in the same vicinity as it, shoots rockets that have a mind of their own and pack about as much punch as a rotten orange, and somehow can't safely hover over hazards like acid and lava?

Gimme the Mako any day, and I'll give you one enemy base filled with corpses. Or red smears over the walls. Depends on whether or not I feel like stopping before I hit them.

Darn, still years out. I hope inquisition is good because I'm really getting that sci-fi RPG itch and a good fantasy one will at least switch it back to a fantasy itch, and there's luckily no shortage of fantasy RPGs out there.

One small thing I noticed is the female armor doesn't seem to have breasts built into it. THANK GOD.

I hated the thing most of the time but this video;

Makes me want to play Mass Effect again.

Having loved the Mako on the PC version I just had to try the infamous 360 version to see just how bad the Mako really is on the console. I still loved driving the Mako, maybe even more so because I prefer to play with a controller than a keyboard and mouse.

I beat Mass Effect 1 on the 360 a couple nights ago and have been playing Mass Effect 2 since then. I still think that Mass Effect 2 would be better with the Mako, console or PC.

I also heard complaints about the inventory system in the 360 version of Mass Effect 1. It was workable once you got used to it and it didn't really give me too many problems. I think Bioware was just being lazy when they threw out both the Mako and the inventory instead of improving them.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.