SDCC 2014: Car Swarmed, Woman Injured During Comic-Con Zombie Walk

Pages PREV 1 2

BramblinTheGnome:

Uriel_Hayabusa:

Spaceman Spiff:

And you're really up-playing it by bolding it. :P

The 'zombies' weren't doing anything to the car until the driver started pushing into the crowd. I am assuming that the pedestrians were breaking the law by obstructing traffic, but the proper response to that is not to plow through them with a 2-ton automobile. A better idea would be to alert authorities to what is happening.

Yes, I emphasized because I felt that it needed to be emphasized. And the driver wasn't "plowing" through them either, he signaled for the crowd to make way and slowly approached; and the zombie roleplayers responded by hurling insults ("flip the car!" and being selfish and dismissive.

Also noted, not ok to swear at someone who is endangering your life or they get to just up and try to kill you. I love the life lessons here!

I respectfully suggest that you try to engage in an actual discussion as opposed to distorting people's points in cutesey-poo sarcastic, passive-agressive ways.

kerrowecrisis:
Smashing the windshield? If the marchers are responsible, they got quite the arm....

I know, right? I'm sure I read on Cracked that shooting through your windshield in a zombie apocalypse situation is a stupid idea because people can't just smash a windshield with their bare hands. I can't see how zombie roleplayers accomplished that with typical zombie acting.

Uriel_Hayabusa:

Yes, I emphasized because I felt that it needed to be emphasized. And the driver wasn't "plowing" through them either, he signaled for the crowd to make way and slowly approached; and the zombie roleplayers responded by hurling insults ("flip the car!" and being selfish and dismissive.

The driver forced his/her car into the group of pedestrians. He/she plowed through them. They didn't even get riled up until the car was halfway in.

Pedestrians have the right of way. The driver shouldn't be trying to part a sea of 'zombies' with his Accord.

2plow verb
: to move through, over, or across (something) in a forceful and steady way

Uriel_Hayabusa:

BramblinTheGnome:

Uriel_Hayabusa:

Also noted, not ok to swear at someone who is endangering your life or they get to just up and try to kill you. I love the life lessons here!

I respectfully suggest that you try to engage in an actual discussion as opposed to distorting people's points in cutesey-poo sarcastic, passive-agressive ways.

If you insist. Parades or crowds around convention centers and sports centers frequently block traffic. Sometimes it's poor event planning, sometimes they are allowed to and the streets are either not marked well or the drivers just ignore the markings (see this one very frequently... road closed sign doesn't pertain to me!) sometimes it's mob mentality and pedestrians just decide if the person in front gets to jaywalk that means they do too. In any case in most states there are specific laws that give the pedestrians right of way even if they ARE being jerks, because in the fight of pedestrian vs car the car wins big time. From what I could see this crowd was continuing to move forward in an orderly fashion until someone took their very dangerous machine and started to push through them endangering people's lives. The response of "what the hell dude, you could hurt someone" is justifiable and I would be more pissed if people DIDN'T try to stop him from forcing his car through a crowd of people. Beating on his car and threatening him was a bit over the top (depending on how threatened the pedestrians felt), but in the end the man showed HE was the most dangerous person there by slamming down his pedal, striking an old lady and speeding away from the scene where he most certainly knows he just committed a crime. What was actually going through his head? Not sure. However to me his actions starting from the initial push forward seem much more in line with road rage than 'my kids thought zombies were real so I wanted to leave' that he's claiming. Even if that's true, no matter how uncaring the pedestrians were, using your car to force yourself through any situation (be it a crowd or traffic) with the idea in mind of "They HAVE to move or an accident will result" makes the driver the dangerous jerk.

Thyunda:

kerrowecrisis:
Smashing the windshield? If the marchers are responsible, they got quite the arm....

I know, right? I'm sure I read on Cracked that shooting through your windshield in a zombie apocalypse situation is a stupid idea because people can't just smash a windshield with their bare hands. I can't see how zombie roleplayers accomplished that with typical zombie acting.

Maybe one of them was the Terminator...

I doubt the marchers were even trying to hit the thing hard though.

BramblinTheGnome:
Even if that's true, no matter how uncaring the pedestrians were, using your car to force yourself through any situation (be it a crowd or traffic) with the idea in mind of "They HAVE to move or an accident will result" makes the driver the dangerous jerk.

Again, the driver didn't start flooring it until the crowd was getting confrontational. I'll concede that the driver's actions weren't the ideal thing to do in the situation, but the zombie roleplayers are in no position to take the high ground considering the walk was unsanctioned and the participants were reported to have been obstructive and agressive.

I feel like their should have been something there to block off the road where the zombi walk was happening. I honestly think it's the cities fault for not properly preparing for the walk

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here