IBM's New Microchip Simulates Human Brain

Pages PREV 1 2

So am I the only one who immediately remembered HAL 9000, which is purposefully one letter away each from being IBM?

Vegosiux:

FalloutJack:

Vegosiux:

You're not usually affected by gravity in any way that would make you consciously aware of it being there, either.

Come on, Vego. That's not a very good parallel. Gravity is completely different from anything done by a human.

No it's not, every human does gravity. NOTE: I only said this because I felt like being a smartass.

You can't tell a person that they're being prodded into everything when they alone decide. I'm here on the internet because I want to be. The only propelled force is my own curiosity, which is not an outside force. I don't HAVE TO be here or anywhere, so it's completely not like gravity at all. If this is turning into a philosophical free will debate, we're not going to get anywhere at all with it.

That depends. Our decision-making is not made in a vacuum, there's always a cost/benefit analysis involved, even if it's merely subconscious. Even decisions made on a whim, that simply means we suddenly decide there's no cost.

Or let me put it this way. People using the internet is something that's second nature to the younger generations in the Western world. They use it because "that's just how the world is these days". If that's not the penultimate example of the force peer pressure can exert, I don't know what it is.

I really doubt that every day, people consciously decide "I'm going to go on internet today".

Sarcasm and being a smartass don't translate well online. :P

Anyway, I wouldn't view that as force. That's progression. It may be subconscious, but it's not due to anyone making anyone do it except to themselves out of a fundamental wish. There are also people whose lives don't have much of this and will never. Bigger than just the exception to the rule.

Sounds interesting and all but I keep getting bugged by the billion number.
Is is 1,000,000,000,000 (as I believe written 1 million million)
Or is it 1,000,000,000 (which I think is 1 thousand million)

Frostbyte666:
Sounds interesting and all but I keep getting bugged by the billion number.
Is is 1,000,000,000,000 (as I believe written 1 million million)
Or is it 1,000,000,000 (which I think is 1 thousand million)

Well, where I live, it's 1,000,000,000,000, since we use long scale. Some places use the short scale though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.