Star Wars: Episode VIII Director Says Episode VII is Ditching CGI

Pages PREV 1 2

Sarge034:
We're not reaching CGI critical mass, we just don't like shit films. I mean Guardians of the Galaxy had a metric fuck ton of CGI and it seems to have been received rather well...

Yeah, my thought too. For all the spectacle in that movie, the most mind blowing thing was watching the giant wall of text that was the animation credits ^^

Also, boy I wish I had the job of marketing Star Wars Episode VII to geeks, that has got to be the easiest job in the universe. "You know that thing you hated, yeah, we're not doing that", and then just stand there taking the applause :P

Oh well, most things can be done good, anything can be done bad. It remains to be seen how this one ends up.

Oh. Yey? Honest to god perspective people. Fucking perspective. CGI, overabundent, crap or underused or anything NEVER ruined a movie. The shit writing, inept directing and horrible acting ruined a movie. The prequels were crap BECAUSE the story was moronic, the directing was amateurish crap and the actors were planks of wood with faces drawn on, not because of the way they did their special effects. Jeesus, sometimes I'm concerned for the intelligence of the movie going public (then again the new TMNT was 1st at the box office, so why the fuck do I even bother).

Oh, they are not using so much CGI, big fucking deal. Call me when you ditch that fucktard Abrams who has no place near Star Wars after what he did to Star Trek, and when money grubbing Disney isn't involved anymore.

CGI is not a bad thing you just need to use it correctly , use it to enhance shots not create everything in the film.

Look at lord of the rings they used loads of CGI but for most shots it was in addition to a miniature or to enhance a location and so on, sure there where fully digital shots but only when it was not possible or practical to build something.

That'a now to use CGI, what you should not do it place all your actors on a green screen 100% of the time.

aying that the Star Wars prequels were bad is easy. Anyone with eyes, ears and the ability to experience nausea (an inevitable side effect of using said eyes and ears) can tell you that the films are garbage.

Welp glad to see that as someone who enjoys the prequels that I apparently am not welcome as part of the community, or at the very least that I am to be regarded as someone without working eyes or ears. Way to make me feel at home in your community.

Hmmm a click-bait headline that is inaccurate; and I thought the Escapist had good journalists. 'Cutting back' on CGI and 'ditching' CGI are two very different things, and Rian Johnson nowhere in these excerpts or in the full interview ever says they're 'ditching' it outright. Also, way to go in alienating any readers from the onset that actually like and enjoy the prequels and don't consider them 'garbage'. Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion but using less inflammatory language goes a long way to keeping things even-handed for your readers, if you even care about that of course.

You know, I find myself wondering... if interacting with properly-constructed sets and props might also give a boost to acting, as middling-skill actors are able to get into the role better rather than just reading lines.

Sniper Team 4:
CGI has it's place, and if it had been done correctly, I think it could have made the prequels amazing. I was actually looking forward to the battle scenes in the prequel, because the battles in Return of the Jedi blew me away. So I thought, with the new tech we have, that these fights would be amazing.
They weren't.

On the flip side, practical effects cannot save a movie for me either. This is a good move, if true, but it will not give this movie a free pass from me, nor is it raising my hopes all that much. I'm still very leery about these rumors regarding the story. All the practical effects in the world won't make up for a terrible story.

Still, it will be nice to see X-wings and TIE Fighters actually blowing up once again.

I don't get it. Those fight scenes were far better thanks to the CGI, and literally nothing outside of the battle of Hoth even came close to the battles and fights of the Prequels. I honestly don't get what the big deal is about the prequels heavy use of CGI. Either unrealistic looking CGI or the pretty shitty sets so shit that you can barely tell the difference in pretty much every movie that gets made, and thats only if you look reeeeeaaaalll close. In terms of the battles and the scenic shots, the CGI justified itself.

XDSkyFreak:
Oh. Yey? Honest to god perspective people. Fucking perspective. CGI, overabundent, crap or underused or anything NEVER ruined a movie. The shit writing, inept directing and horrible acting ruined a movie. The prequels were crap BECAUSE the story was moronic, the directing was amateurish crap and the actors were planks of wood with faces drawn on, not because of the way they did their special effects. Jeesus, sometimes I'm concerned for the intelligence of the movie going public (then again the new TMNT was 1st at the box office, so why the fuck do I even bother).

Oh, they are not using so much CGI, big fucking deal. Call me when you ditch that fucktard Abrams who has no place near Star Wars after what he did to Star Trek, and when money grubbing Disney isn't involved anymore.

Firstly, the plot was...ok. Nothing better or worse then the originals which were hardly brilliant in that aspect. The direction and the acting was what ruined it. The CGI actually improved so much of the prequels, from introducing awesome battles, the best fights of the series, the incredible establishing shots, the amazing opening of Revenge of the Sith, the far more unique environments. These were all helped by the CGI, and turned extremely bad movies into...bad movies, but still.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.