Report: Microsoft to Show Off Windows 9 on Sept. 30th - Update

Pages PREV 1 2

But I don't want to summon aliens from dimension X!

"I heard that, curtis."

Gotta go.

Olas:

You're not uninstalling Internet Explorer though, you're uninstalling Internet Explorer 11, you'll just end up reverting to an older (shittier) version of the program. Why would you want to do that?

As far as I'm aware, even if you were to try and remove it completely using some sort of third party hack, it would have serious negative consequences on the functionality of Windows.

Why would i want to do that ? Oh simply to have my 3D programs working... Because since MS have a deal with a company, programs coming from others can't work BECAUSE of IE11.

And to be honest, i don't care at all about IE 10 or whatever, i prefer mozilla, i never used IE since... Let me think, windows 95 if i remember clearly.

So... they decided to release a new Win 8 skin and call it Win 9 because it has a metro start menu? Back in my day we used to call that a hotfix or skin at best.

I have a windows phone and must admit to loving windows 8 (recently updated to 8.1) on my little handheld touchscreen. I also have to admit to loving the idea of having cortana on my desktop.

That said, I still haven't seen any real reason to get anything other than windows 7 in regards to a desktop system. I get what they were trying to do with Win8, but there simply wasn't a demand for it and then they tried to force it on consumers. They have a bad habit of making OSs as solutions to problems that don't exist for a market that doesn't want them.

Windows ME, vista, and 8 will go down in history as superfluous. I'm interested in seeing if 9 will follow that trend. Also, god help them if the steamOS ends up being more than just another linux distro.

Finally, a non-attention fiending Metro.

Olas:

No, Internet Explorer USED to deserve the ridicule, or at least a lot of it. Internet Explorer 10 is almost objectively better than Firefox and has some advantages over Chrome such as loading speed and security features. I've used all 3 browsers (5 if you include Maxthon and Opera) quite a bit over the years and IE is currently my browswer of choice. I'm not saying I think Chrome sucks, or isn't a good browser, but at this point the only reason I see for downloading it is the one plugin that let's you see Youtube ratings before clicking on a video. Even that was only really useful for avoiding fake movie trailers.

IE10/11 still lags on startup/restore, ON MY GAMING RIG (READ: i7 3770K/16GB with all SATA3 SSDs). The IE/Office/VS team really need to stop caching the program to disk on minimize.

That said, Metro IE11 on my Dell V11P is awesome though, though I prefer using Chrome (sync/plugins/NoScript). I'd like the Metro UI more if it is not an attention fiend everytime I try to use it, ie. launching a program does not require taking up the entire screen, and playing Sudoku also does not require at least half the screen.

I'm growing tired of these sequels. Lackluster performance, poor UI management... immersion breaking notifications. 6/10 Would not play again.

About the only interest I have in this so far, is if the new OS is going to be stripped down and subscription based.

I hate Windows 8 as much as anyone, but it hasn't even been 2 years since 8 was thrown at us, as far as I'm concerned its far too early to be talking about the next damn version.

Maybe if Microsoft have realised 8 is a steaming pile of horse manure they should, oh I don't know, fix it? Yeah that might work, fix the damn product people brought and paid for rather than brining out a replacement and trying to milk more money out of us.

Shodanbot:

It doesn't show a lot of confidence in your product or respect for the early adopters of 8 to be seriously considering rolling out the next big number in a year or two instead of rolling out an update. They're gonna take the new OS instead of update regardless of complaints.

Rolling out an update and calling it a new version is straight out of the Apple playbook, so you could almost argue it shows too much confidence.

CyberAkuma:
The day I can use a tablet to edit and encode HD video or work with RAW-files in Lightroom is the day I will start giving any fucks what tablets are capable of.

Now you're talking. Give me a tablet with some beefy specs, a USB port for tethering/photo storage, a version of Lightroom with touchscreen optimised controls, and I could edit my raw files while in transit instead of having to lug a laptop with me.

Windows 8 isn't that bad, after i installed a freeware program to get the start menu back it became almost exactly the same as windows 7
the only real complaint i have is that when i try to access network settings i have to specify that i dont want to use the tablet interface for it

>insist it won't be called Windows 9

Heres hoping they name it something stupid like Windows One. I'd laugh my ass off

As for Windows 8, other than the garbage interface which doesn't even work well on a tablet, I've had my installs fail to update on multiple devices and I had to rescue the OS. After it happened the third time on my netbook, I said fuck it, it's going be a Linux only machine now. I'll stick with Windows 7 for that reason alone

So soon? Guess they really are ashamed of Win 8.

I'm not so sure the alternating good/bad win OS will hold up for Win 9.
I'd like to be pleasantly surprised but call me cynical and jaded.
I've used Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and 8.
I would like to go back to XP and continue on from there again.

Not mentioning the current GUI, I like the speed and stability.
My first experience of Win 8 was an endlessly loading startup screen. Had to send it back to the store.
They couldn't fix it, so they sent me a new machine instead. Good start.
Other than that, I've only experienced 2 bluescreens.
Both were from games (Star Ruler & Anno 1404).

What's really bugging me though is the inability to customize the interface.
I had a theme in 3.1 and used it up to XP. With some modifications along the way.
The only thing I can change today is the wallpaper really (and if the interface color will change with it or not).
They've even removed the Stars screensaver.

Ok, rant over, sorry.

Come on Microsoft, vindicate my "every other Windows" policy yet again

Vendor-Lazarus:

XP: Oct 2000
Vista: Jan 2007
7: Jul 2009
8: Aug 2012
9: ??? 2015?

Not really that soon, at least not compared to the rest of their major release history since 2007. It's been 2 years now, and this is just a preview, not the release, which will likely fall closer to the 2.5 - 3 year mark, keeping it pretty consistent with the duration between 7-8.

Of course, this isn't to say that they're not ashamed of it, just that it's not particularly 'soon' compared to anything else.

Jadak:

Vendor-Lazarus:

XP: Oct 2000
Vista: Jan 2007
7: Jul 2009
8: Aug 2012
9: ??? 2015?

Not really that soon, at least not compared to the rest of their major release history since 2007. It's been 2 years now, and this is just a preview, not the release, which will likely fall closer to the 2.5 - 3 year mark, keeping it pretty consistent with the duration between 7-8.

Of course, this isn't to say that they're not ashamed of it, just that it's not particularly 'soon' compared to anything else.

I stand corrected.

Hmm, I looked up their usual release plan and it seems like they have always done it by 2-3 years.
(except for XP of course ^^)
Is it only me or does that seem...hasty.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here