Rumor: Warner Bros. Imposes "No Jokes" Rule On DC Comics Movies

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Rumor: Warner Bros. Imposes "No Jokes" Rule On DC Comics Movies

dawn of justice

Has laughter been officially banned from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice?

Zack Snyder is deep into production on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, a film that's not merely the second outing for Henry Cavill's Superman, the introduction of Ben Affleck as the new Batman and Gal Gadot as the first ever big-screen Wonder Woman; but also Warner Bros. big all-or-nothing gambit to launch a proper DC Comics movie brand to rival Disney/Marvel's industry-redefining Cinematic Universe.

Now, journalist and film-critic Drew McWeeny has reported that he (and other industry-watchers) are hearing a consistent two-word answer to the question of how Warner Bros. plans to set the world of The Justice League apart from that of The Avengers: "No jokes."

The full implication of the "no jokes" mandate (which was also mentioned by Badass Digest writer Devin Faraci on Meet The Movie Press) would suggest that the studio wants its superheroes to be serious business; perhaps as a deliberate contrast to the lighter Silver Age-inspired Marvel approach most recently seen in Guardians of The Galaxy - a film widely expected to become the highest-grossing film of the year in the near future.

There has been no confirmation or denial from anyone involved in the production of the DC Comics movies regarding any "no jokes" policy, nor any clarification as to whether it will extend to proposed films based on traditionally lighter/kid-friendly characters like Aquaman or Shazam.

Source: HitFix

I don't mind this, to an extent. It will help set them apart from Marvel's movies but if true, WB is kidding themselves if they are not going to allow any kinds of moments of levity in their films. They would just get too exhausting to watch.

Sounds great in theory but I some part of me doubts that they will pull it off properly. Expect a lot of grey and a lot of brooding from DC in the near future, kids.

Because darkness and grit worked so well for Man of steel.

I dunno guys, I have the feeling that total seriousness and people dressed in silly costumes with silly names punching other people dressed in silly costumes and even sillier names, don't go all that well together.

Nowhere Man:
I don't mind this, to an extent. It will help set them apart from Marvel's movies but if true, WB is kidding themselves if they are not going to allow any kinds of moments of levity in their films. They would just get too exhausting to watch.

Seems like they've been trying pretty hard so far.

Fappy:
Sounds great

We are very different people, my friend

Lol. Why? Why would you take that out of the writers tool box? I'm not saying it need to be goofy Jar Jar binks shit but even the wire which is IMO the best drama ever had some truly hilarious moments. Even Romeo and Juliet had funny moments. Laughter is just part of the human experience. Anywhere people are you can find some sort of humor somewhere. I dunno this seems like proof of a film taking itself in a direction it shouldn't by someone who has a childish understanding of what drama is.

PS: EVEN WH40k which is ALL about the grimdark has moments of humor and the community of Warhammer love to point it out. Just google Dreadknight WH40k and see what comes back at you. The world is richer with some comedy, even the drama.

nima55:

Fappy:
Sounds great

I don't have a problem with it in theory. Hell, it's actually a good decision to contrast with Marvel's films. It's just that, considering their track record so far, I really don't trust they have the talent to pull it off.

If true, it's just another reason to not watch their lame movies. Not that I needed any more as it already was. I was already lost at "Zack Snyder."

Levity and maturity go hand in hand. The harder you try to force maturity and "seriousness" the more immature and juvenile your work appears. Human beings use humor even in the most dire of situations to deal with bad things, when a person is at their lowest they want nothing more than to laugh again.

This movie is going to be a summary, a poster child for everything wrong with how hollywood often tackles certain subjects or ideas. Comics are suppose to be all about contrasting tones, about understanding the need for light hearted goofiness and grim dark horribleness. That's what makes the Joker one of the all time great villains, he mixes comedy and horrible awfulness in ways that are terrifying yet very entertaining.

Even depressing war movies have their moments of light comedy. DC seems dead set on completely misunderstanding everything their is to understand about good stories and good comic movies.

Fappy:
Sounds great in theory but I some part of me doubts that they will pull it off properly. Expect a lot of grey and a lot of brooding from DC in the near future, kids.

Sooooo pretty much what we've seen from them thus far? Sounds about right. :P

Fappy:

I wouldn't even say it sounds fine in theory. While they don't need to be full of the glib snark that the MCU seems dead set on overusing (Tony Stark's been Flanderized in that respect, I think), to just completely remove levity from the films will just kill it. There's just no way you can pull off a realistic, mature script without some gallows humor.

The suits at Warner must've skipped their Shakespeare classes if they think this can work.

Even Nolan's Batman movies have jokes, or at least moments that have an element of humor or levity. Movies completely devoid of humor have to be really REALLY solid thematically, or else they come off as pretentious.

I'm trying to think of a movie without any humor at all, and the only thing I can come up with is 2001 A Space Odyssey, but that movie barely has any human emotion at all so it's almost not applicable.

The obvious comment is that this will quite probably turn any upcoming DC movies in to one big series of jokes.

And bad movies.

(If it's accurate, that is.)

Jesus, DC.

You want to make serious, mature films? That's fine.

You want to fill a separate niche in order to contrast competition? Great.

You want to make a film that's more artistic or complex? Have at it.

But removing humor does none of those things. Even the grittiest writers know that humor has its place. Even in dark stories. ESPECIALLY in dark stories. Nobody cares about bad things happening to miserable, unlikable people. I can't believe you looked at Nolan's films and Watchmen, and the only lesson you somehow learned is that humor is bad. Your dark n' gritty garbage is best suited for emo 14 year olds.

MovieBob:

The full implication of the "no jokes" mandate (which was also mentioned by Badass Digest writer Devin Faraci on Meet The Movie Press) would suggest that the studio wants its superheroes to be serious business; perhaps as a deliberate contrast to the lighter Silver Age-inspired Marvel approach most recently seen in Guardians of The Galaxy - a film widely expected to become the highest-grossing film of the year in the near future.

whoa, wait a second, using Devin Faraci as a source?

http://www.edrants.com/why-devin-faraci-is-unfit-to-practice-journalism/

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/26/video-games-misogyny-and-terrorism-a-guide-to-assholes/

This Devin Faraci? that says he has more respect for journalist murdering terrorists than gamers?

Honestly I wouldn't take anything he says for even face value. Not after the Batman Trilogy had it's comedic moments. Not sure about the Superman films, didn't watch them myself, but comedy comes in many forms.

Plan 9 from Outer Space, for example.

EDIT for clarity: Calling out a source that has been known to make inflammatory comments and generate click-bait articles.

This can be just a guideline that is not meant to be taken literally, or this can be exactly like it sounds, which, ironically, would be quite funny. And terrible. But mostly funny.

Who's ready for more dark, brooding, grumbling, psycho-thug Batman.... Because it so freaken' refreshing to see Batman portrayed that...

A healthy ammount of MODERATION would have been in order but nooooooooooooo.... let's take all the things. Unless all the movies characters suffer from manic depression it will feel extremely unnatural if they can't ever try to distract themselves from their bleak existence as villains/heroes and at the very least just crack a fcking joke.

Reminds me of the Walking Dead TV series, which is god awful because the only emotional states the characters have are bitchy, whiny, cryi, paranoidy and angry. Is that what they want to live up to?

Kalezian:

MovieBob:

http://badassdigest.com/2014/08/26/video-games-misogyny-and-terrorism-a-guide-to-assholes/

This Devin Faraci? that says he has more respect for journalist murdering terrorists than gamers?

Dude, don't Lump every single gamer with Anti Zoe Quinn people just to make it seem like Faraci has a beef with everyone.

He obviously was talking about the jackasses slut shaming Zoe over what barely counts as something interesting. The comment was tasteless, but the endless spewing of bile of the depths of the internet can evoke an irrational response sometimes. I'll forgive him for that sooner than I will forgive what some Anti Quinn people post on a regular basis.

DrunkenElfMage:

Kalezian:

MovieBob:

Dude, don't Lump every single gamer with Anti Zoe Quinn people just to make it seem like Faraci has a beef with everyone.

He obviously was talking about the jackasses slut shaming Zoe over what barely counts as something interesting. The comment was tasteless, but the endless spewing of bile of the depths of the internet can evoke an irrational response sometimes. I'll forgive him for that sooner than I will forgive what some Anti Quinn people post on a regular basis.

I'm not lumping everyone in with the anti-Quinn crowd, and for future refrence it's more along the lines of "holding gaming journalists to the same standard as real journalists" crowd now, but that's getting off topic.

What I'm saying is Devin Faraci is known to intentionally inflame topics and harass people, and even be called out by real journalists for his lopsided articles.

Using him as a source for anything would be like asking a parrot what his views of the socio-economic climate of 1880's Russia in contrast to recent economic events would be.

the main difference is the parrot might do a trick or two, Devin Faraci will ban you, or even fight you because you think differently than him [source: http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/devin-faraci-joe-swanberg-fantastic-fest-debates ]

Now, if it was someone that actually has some integrity that part was attributed to, I wouldn't have a problem.

edit: I also assume you didn't even read about his "journalism" in the edrants article.

I wish I didn't find this plausible.

But this is DC, whose entire MO at this point seems to be aping the Dark Ages of the 1990s.

*Advances with rolled-up newspaper*

NO! Bad movie execs! No biscuit!

Don't go digging up the rotting corpse that is the Dark Age of comics! That poisonous tripe was killed and buried for a reason!

Just what modern media needs, more brooding and teaching teenagers that mature and gritty does indeed mean humourless and angsty!
Way to go WB!
I really really really hope that Aquaman escapes the humour cull, he's my bae.

Fappy:

nima55:

Fappy:
Sounds great

I don't have a problem with it in theory. Hell, it's actually a good decision to contrast with Marvel's films. It's just that, considering their track record so far, I really don't trust they have the talent to pull it off.

I see where you're coming from, but this just sounds like (if it's true) this will end up similar to the problem Jim had with FF13.

Everyone being sad/mad/upset all the time with no moments of happiness to see in contrast with the sad moments. Not that you necessarily need jokes or humor to have happy moments, but I'd think it would make it a lot more difficult to pull off in a story.

Plus, was there ever a moment in superhero comics where the villains and heroes meet face to face and don't make a wise crack or two?

D: Think of all the puns that will never be!

I know it is only two words but I read it differently. For some reason I read "No Jokes" as in we are not messing around we are giving everyone what they want from the start. Instead of stretching the story out across multiple movies each story would just be a big single important epic story. I suppose it would make sense that the big difference between them is Marvel is light hearted and bright while DC is dark but I doubt they could honestly say no jokes. Who know though, the two words is not much to go on, it is probably just some PR guy or Exec trying to sound tough and cool. WE ARE DC AND WE DON'T JOKE AROUND

evidently DC are going the Lego Movie Batman route of maturity.

DARKNESS
NO PARENTS
CONTINUED DARKNESS
MORE DARKNESS
GET IT?
THE OPPOSITE OF LIGHT!!!

Scorpid:
Lol. Why? Why would you take that out of the writers tool box? I'm not saying it need to be goofy Jar Jar binks shit but even the wire which is IMO the best drama ever had some truly hilarious moments. Even Romeo and Juliet had funny moments. Laughter is just part of the human experience. Anywhere people are you can find some sort of humor somewhere. I dunno this seems like proof of a film taking itself in a direction it shouldn't by someone who has a childish understanding of what drama is.

PS: EVEN WH40k which is ALL about the grimdark has moments of humor and the community of Warhammer love to point it out. Just google Dreadknight WH40k and see what comes back at you. The world is richer with some comedy, even the drama.

The Dreadknight is more of a fandom comic relief than an official source material. For the GW content that is funny you have the Orks, aka those cockney speaking green hulks that were based off football hooligans.

I guessed I imagined those funny moments in The Dark Knight then, that's good to know.

Oh god...it's almost like WB is trying to channel the spirit of Pa "Let The Kids Drown" Kent from Man of Steel into their entire comic film universe...

I guess they have a point though. I mean, it's not like comics can be very light hearted, funny, charming or anything positive like that...right?

They'd best not mess up superman again. They missed what I believe is the most integral part of superman- Hope, and the fact he looks after as many people as possible. No matter the situation, he wants to help. This is my favourite superman scene ever, it actually brought a tear to my eye at how touching it is:

So now any moment that could use humour will just be a scene of intense staring into the camera/at nothing as the music gets louder.

Yeah, that won't get old any time soon. Oh well, didn't have high hopes for t these movies anyway.

So while Marvel is going for the silver/bronze age of comics, DC seems set to go for the Dark Age of comics?

They do remember what happened to all that right?

Its official people, satire is dead. Warner Bros killed it.

The concept of a No Jokes rule is seriously something even the Onion would think is too on-the-nose.

If this is really true and becomes a thing, they're gonna have a rough time making Flash's movie (and maybe green lantern's) if they plan to make a justice league to counter marvel's avengers...

It's probably a good idea for them to avoid the action-comedy route, they're not going to beat Marvel by copying them. That said, if they take 'no jokes' literally, that's a bad idea. Marvel makes plenty of jokes, but they clearly don't have a 'no seriousness' rule. Brief moments of levity add contrast and respite to serious stuff.

Of course, this is minor quibbling, ignoring the more relevant fact that jokes or no, Warner Bros. is actually going to have to pull off a decent superhero movie, which I think everyone's skeptical about at this point.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here