BBC Cuts Doctor Who Beheading

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BBC Cuts Doctor Who Beheading

Recent events persuaded the BBC that an on-air beheading was a bad idea.

The Doctor Who fans out there know that on Saturday Capaldi's Doctor is about to come face to face with a very familiar folk hero. However the BBC has decided to truncate the episode, removing a beheading scene "in light of recent news events."

The recent deaths of James Foley and Steven Sotloff prompted the BBC to make this change. Sotloff's murder by Islamic militants was confirmed in a video release this week. Sotloff was murdered despite pleas from his mother to spare his life. The killers have said they will murder another hostage, this time a Briton, if US air strikes in Iraq aren't stopped.

The edited portion is believed to involve a fight scene between the Sheriff of Nottingham and Robin Hood. The episode was filmed months ago, in February; unfortunate coincidence led to this change.

"In light of recent news events, we have made an edit to episode three out of respect," says the BBC.

Source: BBC

That's a nice gesture.

Maybe they'll put it back in when the season eventually goes to DVD or something.

I would say something about hoping that it doesn't take away from the episode but they've been pretty abysmal so far anyway. XD

AKA the Japanese method of censorship, where if an unrelated event occurs it can fuck up or delay an entire episode (see the Psycho-Pass revamp, which if I recall correctly had an episode featuring a murderous schoolgirl taken out of the schedule after an ACTUAL murderous schoolgirl who liked anime killed someone).

I don't see how you're supposed to draw a parallel between the beheading of a journalist and the beheading of a medieval person, and I disagree entirely with the decision.

That a woman was beheaded in London last night probably cemented that decision somewhat

I get it, but at the same time i dont agree with it. Do they want to hold out hands thru life ? Pretty much what scotth266 said medievil setting. Its just abit "THINK OF THE CHILDREN WONT SOMONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN"

I do see why they did it. The BBC is a public funded (us the tax payers) company and they just don't want to get any complaints after what happened in London in the last 24 hours and what's been happening with the journalist. And yes people will complain to OfCom regardless. This is Britain we are talking about here.

Verlander:
That a woman was beheaded in London last night probably cemented that decision somewhat

Though domestic murders are hardly the sort of thing that makes international news anyway. So cant really expect Karloff to know about it if it wasnt explicitly mentioned.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that they were showing a beheading... in Dr. Who???!!!!???? Yeah, sure, I realize there are deaths in Dr. Who all the time, but this seems a bit out of place for the series to me. Even IF something like that would happen in the Who-niverse, I would have imagined it would have only been implied and happen off screen, not that they would SHOW it, which is the impression this article gives.

As long as the full version comes out eventually...

Im sure the full version will come to head eventually.

gigastar:

Verlander:

Though domestic murders are hardly the sort of thing that makes international news anyway. So cant really expect Karloff to know about it if it wasnt explicitly mentioned.

No, I knew about the London incident. However the BBC didn't mention it, and it's likely that the decision was already made before that crime. After all, edits - and the decision to make those edits - don't happen that quickly, and the London incident only made the news very recently.

Edit: I also suspect the BBC has that captured Briton in mind. After all, whoever it is may be the next to appear in a video, and soon.

gigastar:

Verlander:

Definitely wasn't an accusation, just pointing out for the other users that may not have heard, beheadings are kind of a sore subject right now in the UK.

Colour Scientist:
That's a nice gesture.

I can't wait to read how it's a bad thing.

*looks down* Yeah.

Anyway, it very likely will be at least a deleted scene.

"Insider sources report that the scene depicting the Doctor's conversion to Wahabi Islam will proceed."

Also: I haven't watched this show in eons, but isn't beheading a bit hardcore?

I've seen an advanced cut so I've actually seen the scene in question. I kinda see the issue (it's not the villain that does the beheading for one) but it leads to an important reveal so I'm not sure how they'll get it in otherwise...

Riff Moonraker:
I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that they were showing a beheading... in Dr. Who???!!!!???? Yeah, sure, I realize there are deaths in Dr. Who all the time, but this seems a bit out of place for the series to me. Even IF something like that would happen in the Who-niverse, I would have imagined it would have only been implied and happen off screen, not that they would SHOW it, which is the impression this article gives.

The title Robot of Sherwood should tell you why they'd show a beheading. Beheading someone who is made to be real and then going "just kidding" it was a robot would be seen as making light of a situation that really shouldn't be. It wasn't intended to be made as commentary on reality so it's cut. Since we have two reporters beheaded, and one lady in London beheaded by a crazy man with a machete yelling something about cats it's just bad timing.

Um....this is kind of messed up. It's like that whole episode of South Park where Family Guy was going to air images of Allah, only to have everyone trying to censor it or bury their heads in the sand. Why? Because they're allowing terrorists to win!. Any time a terrorist act causes a dramatic change in the way we live our lives, then they've won. The whole point of "terrorism" is to incite fear so that they can get their way. It's how DICKtators like Kim Jon Un (sp?) can rule with an iron fist in his country: he terrorizes his citizens.

This change is not for the sake of respect and is completely unrelated too. What does Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham have in common with terrorists? Is there a kidnapping where they take one hostage and behead him, pike his head, and say "stop doing XXX or we'll behead more". Maybe if they did that I can understand....but come on, this is just stretching it to an unbelievable extent.

Deathfish15:
Um....this is kind of messed up. It's like that whole episode of South Park where Family Guy was going to air images of Allah, only to have everyone trying to censor it or bury their heads in the sand. Why? Because they're allowing terrorists to win!. Any time a terrorist act causes a dramatic change in the way we live our lives, then they've won. The whole point of "terrorism" is to incite fear so that they can get their way. It's how DICKtators like Kim Jon Un (sp?) can rule with an iron fist in his country: he terrorizes his citizens.

This change is not for the sake of respect and is completely unrelated too. What does Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham have in common with terrorists? Is there a kidnapping where they take one hostage and behead him, pike his head, and say "stop doing XXX or we'll behead more". Maybe if they did that I can understand....but come on, this is just stretching it to an unbelievable extent.

in your book cutting a beheading scene due to a domestic murder-beheading in London to avoid leaving the main viewers in England with a bad taste in their mouths is a Drastic Change let alone the terrorists 'winning'?

I'm sure the IS currently being bombed to the stone age agrees with you, the cutting of this scene from Doctor Who definitely gave them a leg up in the conflict that they're going to be able to use to achieve victory.

I haven't watched every single episode of DW so I could be wrong, but isn't beheading a bit... much? It's supposed to be a family show after all.

I suppose this makes sense, places like Channel 4 probably wouldn't give a fuck and air it anyway and have to apologise after. It does seem in bad taste considering the recent story about the woman in London too.

People get beheaded all the time all across the world. Are we supposed to wait for a grace period before we can have our entertainment? The earth doesn't stop spinning every time someone is killed and we shouldn't stop going about our lives.

Maybe a little message expressing their 'condolences' at the beginning of the episode would have been a better solution.

And before anyone calls me a selfish prick I don't want those people to die anymore than anyone else. I wish that kind of thing didn't happen to anyone who doesn't deserve it.

We need to understand the context here. Ever since the beheading of Nick Berg in 2004 the Western narrative is that beheadings are barbaric and awful and the Islamic religion is barbaric by extension - nevermind the millions killed by Westerners themselves, many in gruesome manner through white phosphorus and other chemicals, or simply blown to bits by bombs, as well as the millions that die each year due to easily preventable disease or starvation due to a global economic system controlled by the West.

So bombing a village and blowing apart 100 people is "civilized", while beheading one person is "barbaric". Note that the fictional depictions of BOMBS are never cut due to "recent events" despite the constant use of bombs compared to the fairly infrequent beheadings, while the Western media treats every beheading which kills ONE person as if it's the end of the world.

So fuck you, BBC. Fuck you. You pathetic goddamned hypocrite.

briankoontz:
We need to understand the context here. Ever since the beheading of Nick Berg in 2004 the Western narrative is that beheadings are barbaric and awful and the Islamic religion is barbaric by extension - nevermind the millions killed by Westerners themselves, many in gruesome manner through white phosphorus and other chemicals, or simply blown to bits by bombs, as well as the millions that die each year due to easily preventable disease or starvation due to a global economic system controlled by the West.

So bombing a village and blowing apart 100 people is "civilized", while beheading one person is "barbaric". Note that the fictional depictions of BOMBS are never cut due to "recent events" despite the constant use of bombs compared to the fairly infrequent beheadings, while the Western media treats every beheading which kills ONE person as if it's the end of the world.

Not sure where you are from but where I'm from if you start removing heads to get people to agree with you and do as you tell them. Yeah you've earned the word barbaric and uncivilized because that shit is fucked up and the majority of the planet doesn't do that.

Oh yes, that will put the doods' head right back on their shoulders.

A pointless and ultimately defeating gesture at best.

Some kids get scared shitless by terror threats, can you imagine what a child's imagination would do with the news?
i don't see a problem with this at all, it's not nanny-state, it's just being sensitive to current events.

The better question is what the hell was the Beep thinking putting a beheading on screen in the first instance. I mean most Dr Who deaths are being zapped by something with the optional and fun second part being blown up or rendered to dust with a few on screen horror deaths (Absorption by a darlek, being flung into a black hole, etc) and the rest deaths being strict camera off sight and screaming affairs

People will never be desensitized to staged (and subsequently real) violence if TV companies keep doing this crap.

ConanThe3rd:
The better question is what the hell was the Beep thinking putting a beheading on screen in the first instance. I mean most Dr Who deaths are being zapped by something with the optional and fun second part being blown up or rendered to dust with a few on screen horror deaths (Absorption by a darlek, being flung into a black hole, etc) and the rest deaths being strict camera off sight and screaming affairs

I think the fat blue guy in the Demon's Run arc got beheaded...but otherwise, yeah - beheading is strangely out of place anyway.

I think this is mostly because it's a family show rooted in escapism, and that the beheaded may have relatives with younger children who might be watching the show to take their little minds off the fact people being beheaded is very modern and very real. The last thing anybody wants to see in that context is their family-friendly sci-fi dropping heads.

Thyunda:

ConanThe3rd:

I think the fat blue guy in the Demon's Run arc got beheaded...but otherwise, yeah - beheading is strangely out of place anyway.

He did but to my defence that season (and the one after) was kinda godawful.

briankoontz:

I think part of the thing that makes the be-headings barbaric is the fact that they're filming it and releasing the video to the victim's families and the world while the bombings and drone strikes are, at least in the U.S. kept hush-hush.

Another part of the equation that makes one method of killing "barbaric" and another "civilized" is that in the case of the beheadings there is a physical connection between the actual person doing the killing and the victim while in a drone strike, or bombing, the person is "not really doing the killing" but rather just pressing a button...button sends the signal...signal travels miles or thousands of miles...signal gets received and translated into another signal which activates mechanical levers releasing a missile...yadda yadda there's so much separation that supposedly the person pushing the button is not killing the victim but rather the missile is killing the victim.

And finally the other part that supposedly makes one more barbaric than the other is the beheading victim suffers fear and anguish beforehand, knowing for minutes, hours, days, or even months ahead what's coming to them while the bombing victim usually never sees it coming so there is less suffering involved for them.

Parnage:
Not sure where you are from but where I'm from if you start removing heads to get people to agree with you and do as you tell them. Yeah you've earned the word barbaric and uncivilized because that shit is fucked up and the majority of the planet doesn't do that.

Correct, the majority of the planet does it the civilized way of putting bullets through people's heads or blowing them to bits until they get the people to agree with them and do as they tell them.

Leave it to the internet to create a useless, stupid, nitpicking shitstorm over something so trivial as this.
I wish I could say I was surprised.
Way to go, guys. Way to go.

medv4380:

Riff Moonraker:

The title Robot of Sherwood should tell you why they'd show a beheading. Beheading someone who is made to be real and then going "just kidding" it was a robot would be seen as making light of a situation that really shouldn't be. It wasn't intended to be made as commentary on reality so it's cut. Since we have two reporters beheaded, and one lady in London beheaded by a crazy man with a machete yelling something about cats it's just bad timing.

Ah, I zeroed right in on the beheading and missed the robot part. If it was a 'bot getting lopped off, thats a bit different, I suppose.

Maybe they should cut all scenes of anyone dying, ever, then?

AstaresPanda:
I get it, but at the same time i dont agree with it. Do they want to hold out hands thru life ? Pretty much what scotth266 said medievil setting. Its just abit "THINK OF THE CHILDREN WONT SOMONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN"

This has nothing to do with the "Think of the Children" mentality. It has everything to do with the fact that several people have been beheaded. Including two American journalists while a third British journalist has had his life threatened. Add to that the countless victims who have been beheaded and had their heads placed on pikes, some even after "converting". And plenty of other horrible tortures, such as crucifixion.

If this was some "Think of the Children" nonsense, I would agree. But it's not. It's to pay some measure of respect to those victims and avoid having Doctor Who associated with acts of barbarism and torture.

Zachary Amaranth:

Colour Scientist:
That's a nice gesture.

I can't wait to read how it's a bad thing.

*looks down* Yeah.

Anyway, it very likely will be at least a deleted scene.

But don't you understand that this is a horrible thing? The absolute worst thing that could ever happen. It's censorship!
(It actually isn't censorship, but some people don't understand what the word actually means)

Seriously? I hope they cut out any death whatsoever, because people die all the time. We wouldn't want anybody to be offended now, would we?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here