League of Legends Will Reboot Story, Ditch Old Lore, in Future Updates

Pages PREV 1 2

Yep if you mention something about the lore you will have the majority of people reply: "You read the lore?". they admit they manuvered themselves into a dead end and it is very good they realised this, but the changes made so far are not good. It was mentioned as "generic garbage" before and is true it is all streamlined into well known gaming stereotypes.
I am not to thrilled that something significant will happen. They have no pressure to do things new and intersting so they'll probably play it boring save I guess.

So don't make joining the League of Legends voluntary. We, the players are pulling these characters out of their lives, their time and space, for our own little battle sport, not because they wanted to, but because WE wanted them. In fact, some of the characters might not even be aware they're being pulled into the League until after it happened, like a fish on a hook or alien abduction. I say go with that, to begin with. Let us play the role of evil, godlike entities, controlling these people and creatures as our puppets... because we are. You don't even have to undo everything you have, just say that it started out as a volunteer thing, and like any great power, eventually corrupted out of thirst for new experiences. Seriously, Riot, just let us be Q.

That also explains why the summoners are mostly dicks to each other: we are the villains.

erttheking:

La Barata:
They've completely fucked themselves with this one. They did it because they didn't feel they could do both the story AND the gameplay without fucking one of them up.

They have actually MADE THE GAME NON-CANON, according to their comments.

To be honest, storywise the game never made much sense. Why get the strongest warriors in the land if you're just going to control them as puppets? Why would Garen fight Jarvan IV when he's sworn loyalty to him? Why would Garen fight another Garen? How the Hell can they die ten times per match and still be alive? Do they have resurrection magic in this world? In that case why can't Pantheon bring his dead brother back to life? Or Riven her dead friends? Yi everyone in his village? Who are the summoners controlling the champions? What is their end goal politically? Do their views ever conflict with each other? Do the champions always agree with what their summoner team is trying to accomplish? If Swain and Jarvan IV are on the same team I highly doubt it. So why do they stay with the League?

Watch this.
In order:
1) Why have weak fighters in your game? that's not as fun... unless as a joke, like Dan Hibiki.
2) Because you're controlling him.
3) Ditto.
4) See #5
5) They don't. YOU do.
6, 7, & 8) Because s/he's not you, and doesn't have resurrection magic.
9) You, the players.
10) Sport. Fun. Amusement. Competition. It doesn't matter to us, their politics are insignificant.
11) You tell me.
12) I doubt it, but they have no choice in the matter.
13) Ditto, they have no choice. They can't run. They can't hide. They are ours to command.

Vivi22:
League of Legends has a story?

Who knew? Can't imagine what benefit it has or how it's actually conveyed in the game. I also can't imagine most people even care.

Most probably don't, but a few still do, me being one of them. I always enjoy reading character bios, and when learning all the different champions, I'd sometimes choose which one to play based on how interesting I found their lore.

Oh great, now the Lore in a Minute guys on YouTube are going to have to do another one for League of Legends. I wonder if they'll get Dodger back for it.

Some of the Character lore was sort of fun and inspiring. But overall it felt really odd, like "Oh No, Kha'Zix is going to eat everything!...Naw, don't think so, Kha'Zix, your summoner orders you to...DANCE!"

Riot has been getting around that for years already. You don't need to change the lore, just explain to people that the game League is not the same as the lore league. Basically, a lot of characters in the game are not actually part of the League, they're just significant characters within the world. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just that they've never actually explained that to people.

Rengar, pretty much any of the void champions, Nami, Lissandra, various others; all of them have pretty much 0 reason to be in the league, but they're included anyway because they're significant characters in the setting.

Phil the Nervous:

Stats ^1:
they cut the lore department years ago

This explains so much

They cut the lore department? Well, now I'm not even mad about all the shit they've pulled since then. Now I'm just disappointed. Well, at least we got some interesting champions out of them, even if they were... implausibly connected to the Institute of war. If only it didn't come at the cost of, to put it mildly, fucking up the lore or existing interesting champions like Trundle.

Is there an archive of the LOL lore before and after the edits? I'd be sad if nobody archived the old champion lore of those whom were altered.

Quazimofo:
They cut the lore department? Well, now I'm not even mad about all the shit they've pulled since then. Now I'm just disappointed. Well, at least we got some interesting champions out of them, even if they were... implausibly connected to the Institute of war. If only it didn't come at the cost of, to put it mildly, fucking up the lore or existing interesting champions like Trundle.

Is there an archive of the LOL lore before and after the edits? I'd be sad if nobody archived the old champion lore of those whom were altered.

It's all on the wiki, just search for the Journal or Judgments. Also, avoid anything written post season 2, it's absolute rubbish.

As someone who enjoyed the league of legends lore, I seem to be in the minority for being happy about this.

I enjoy all of the different characters and I'd rather they focus their lore on fleshing out the characters than trying to find ways to fit them into the league.

Also even if they change the characters official lore, they will never be able to change the characters real lore. Yi is the dunkmaster, Morde is Brazilian etc...

The silliest part is them retconning the League out of the League of Legends

lapan:
The silliest part is them retconning the League out of the League of Legends

Perhaps it is silly, but there are currently too many prerequisites that need to be met by each hero for their participation to make sense, which makes their history both challenging to write at the same time as being kinda samey, as the article says. And you can't just remove or change these prerequisites without also changing the lore of the heroes.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here