EA: "If The Sims 4 Isn't Successful, There Won't be a Sims 5"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

And the worst company in America, goes to EA again, for openly threatening to kill it's franchise if it's demands aren't met. Because I'm sure that the 200 dollar plus DLC packs you shovel out isn't going to make you money too. Because there are those sad enough, to collect all of them, at full price. I stopped before I got into Sims 2, got like 4 expansion packs from the original, then figured to myself " this is stupid" and never looked back.

Alright then. Don't make a Sims 5. I didn't even want a Sims 4 to begin with.
You know, companies that make their players happy don't need to resort to petty threats like this.

Scars Unseen:

Saltyk:
I wonder what their definition of success is. 2 million copies sold? 5 million copies sold? 20 million copies sold? More?

Kinda shitty to hold the series hostage like that, but at the same time, if the game doesn't do well, there really isn't a reason to keep making it. And The Sims is probably a game which we can afford to lose at this point. Especially seeing as EA loves to milk it with expansions.

Gearhead mk2:
If any Sims fans want to join me in the corner to weep for dead franchises, I've got a bottle of Serrice Ice Brandy. I was just pouring one out for Dead Space, I'll see if I can get you a glass.

OT: I really hate it when one bad entry in a franchise cans the whole thing. Hell, it doesn't even have to be bad, it just has to not sell well. Happened to Dead Space, happened to Banjo Kazooie, it came this close to happening to Metroid and Korra, it might have happened to Beyond Good and Evil and Megaman. Granted there are times when a franchise has carried on past the point it should have stopped, coughHaloGlasslandsResidentEvil6ManOfSteelcough, but seeing all that potential ignored and effort wasted because of one failure is just deppresing to me. I never played the Sims, but I can sympathise with seeing a beloved series die because of poor management.

Man, you just reminded me how shitty Capcom has been. The Breath of Fire series has basically been dead for years after the spiritual sequel, Dragon Quarter. A game, which wasn't bad, but wasn't a Breath of Fire game, either. But there is hope! Breath of Fire VI! A online multiplayer tablet based game.

Oh God, what have they done to you Ryu? You were the Warrior of the Dragon Clan of Light. The Destined child. The Dragon Prince and last of the Brood. Even a God.

Man, if Dragon Quarter didn't kill the franchise this one probably will.

And let us not forget what might have been a system seller for the 3DS early on: Megaman Legends 3. Capcom straight up trolled us with that one. First they held it hostage, and then decided they just flat out didn't care.

Oh, I know. Man, I would have loved a new Megaman Legends game. Would have preferred it on the PS3, though.

As I recall, they said they canceled it because the demo wasn't downloaded enough on the 3DS. How many people even had 3DSs at that time? As you said, it could have been the reason to get a 3DS. To add insult to injury, they've constantly been teasing us with references to the Megaman Legends universe.

Capcom
proving that EA isn't the only shitty company in gaming

"Buy this one, even though we cut many, many features and intend to painfully ring it for all the money we can with DLC, or we won't make another one."

Does it count as blackmail if the threat is actually a gift? Kind of like saying someone won't kick you in the genitals twice if you don't let them kick you in the genitals once.

If they removed anymore key features, it would just be a character creator. SiMS 5! Build a dude! Build a lady! Build... keep an eye out for the next expansion that adds houses!

Well then you better work on improving Sims 4 or make more Sims 3 expansions. Have you considered Sims 3: Mole People?

So does this mean there won't be a Sims 5 if they don't sell X or, make $X off of base Sims 4 units or, are they talking overall money made from The Sims 4 and the DLC they inevitably roll out for it? I would assume that the likelihood of The Sims 5 is also severely stunted when you consider that The Sims hasn't been rebooted yet. Maybe EA will only make $999 Million off of Sims 4 instead of $1 Billion, deem 4 a failure and decide to press the Reboot button...and probably exclusively for mobile devices too...

Not sure why it's a surprise. Of course they're not thinking about 5. 4 just came out. These games have a shelf life of at least half a decade due to expansion packs. Hell, some people think 4 came out too soon. If 4 bombs, it means the well's run dry, and at the moment (what with this installment simply tweaking a few features at the expense of straight up removing others due to self-imposed technical limitations), it looks like it's about to, so they probably shouldn't be making any more anyway. This statement isn't out of the blue. This statement is in response to a question a Simmer asked.

I hate EA as much as the next guy but... I'm gonna need some help seeing where the anger's stemming from on this one.

Just drag the franchise out the back and shoot it. People still have Sims 1-3 plus all the DLC available anyway.

Welp. Only onething to say..

R.I.P. Sims Franchise

Seriously. This crap didn't work when WB/DC pulled it with Man of STeel and it isn't going to work for You EA. Saying, you won't get a possibly better game until you buy lots of this crappy game.. Good thing we can still play the other SIms games. You know.. the good ones

I like how everyone is forgetting how bug-ridden and bloated (a ram hog, I have a computer with 16gb of ram, and with all the xp and DLC and mods, the game slows down) sims 3 was, and damn, the LOADING TIMES! damn, they were bad.

Crashing issues and cut content aside, the game loads snappy, the animations are smooth, the personality of my sims (especially those with conflicting traits, like shy confidant ambitious) are awesome.

What makes the Sims what it is are the expansion packs, dlc and mods, especially the mods.

Lets wait and see what the community makes.

you don't even have to link to a different game to talk about ditching games for sequels, because this is the fourth main line sims game

Time to go all Keyser Soze on then! Lets call their bluff. If we buy The Sims 4, the Sims 5 will end up being a visual novel anyways. We have a chance to stick it to EA by very vocally not supporting The Sims 4, and maybe, just maybe, the series might decide to make a Sims game that actually improves it, or maybe even Maxis goes independent and makes a Sims knockoff without all of the EA bullshit.

"If you don't give us money for half-assed product now, there wont be another opportunity for you to give us money for quarter-assed product down the future"

...is what they're saying.

They're really bad at this whole guilt thing.

So many nice snarky comments, I'm surprised I didn't find the "Is that a threat or a promise?" one yet.

Gearhead mk2:
If any Sims fans want to join me in the corner to weep for dead franchises, I've got a bottle of Serrice Ice Brandy. I was just pouring one out for Dead Space, I'll see if I can get you a glass.

...Yeah, definitely having Dead Space 3 flashbacks. Given how many companies EA has acquired explicitly to make use of their existing franchises, this is not a pleasing trend.

Avoiding an abusive relationship means giving the other side a way of saying "no" without punishing them for it, guys.

aceman67:
I like how everyone is forgetting how bug-ridden and bloated (a ram hog, I have a computer with 16gb of ram, and with all the xp and DLC and mods, the game slows down) sims 3 was, and damn, the LOADING TIMES! damn, they were bad.

While thats true, it was the result of trying something to drastically improve the franchise - which it did. Even if you fix the current bugs in The Sims 4, you've got less than The Sims 2 did at release, with the only exception being character creation. The Sims 4 is a blatant downgrade for the series, an insult to a long-time fan like myself. No Create a Style, no Open World, no ability to create new lots, no ability to alter the world or public lots, alongside the game being 32-bit only. This is easily the weakest iteration since the first Sims game, and the engine prevents the game from being improved. While the Sims 3 had, quite frankly, atrocious loading times, everything was loaded once the game did so, and it was improved further into the game's lifecycle. That hope doesn't exist for many of the core features that are either missing or crippled in TS4.

Racecarlock:
"Gimme the dough or I kill the broad!" - EA

Bread = the stuff you eat.
Broad = Girl/woman.

Might want to think about rephrasing that sentence of yours... lol.

OT: Tomb Raider survived Angel of Darkness. Alone in the Dark survived the fifth game (if rumors are true). Resident Evil survived the fourth and fifth game. Silent Hill survived Homecoming and Downpour. Why wouldn't Sims survive the pretty decent Sims 4? Just give the hate-train a few weeks to leave the station with its few passengers, then the large Sims-community can be happy with The Sims 4. :)

My predictions? Most fans don't care about the hate-train, and buy the game anyway. First expansion? Many buy the expansion, many buy the expansion and game. Second expansion? Same thing. Some buy the expansion, some buy the game and one expansion, some buy the game and both expansions. When it's time for an upgrade, The Sims 4 will have sold enough to more than justify The Sims 5. Nothing to worry about. In worst case, we'll get The Sims-game that's somewhat different from the rest, which pisses off some loud fans and pleases most others, just like all the other sequels (including The Sims 4.)

This is low, even for EA, they take out like, half the shit for Sims 4 and go "Hey, if you dont buy this box of shit, you wont get even get a game that might be good!" I hate EA so much.

kaizen2468:
Or, stay with me on this, or they could gauge the current market interest and release a new game that targets that market. Now this last part is crucial, give it a manageable budget to meet those expectations.

"Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa there buddy. Let's not get all scientifical and logical here. We're talking The Sims, not rocket surgery you silly goose" - EA 2014

EA, bunch of greedy leecher of society that cares only about money. Imagine if the Wright brothers was like EA: "if this build wasn't successful there wouldn't be a next build", we'll still be travelling by train,cars and ship.

This is gonna bite them in the ass in the future. Once their license of the sims expires someone is gonna take it and have the sims million dollar fanbase and ea will cry because they lost all that money.

So is this their master plan?

Step 1: Cut corners with the Sims 4 and save some money. (smaller world, no pools and toddlers, bugs, etc.)

Step 2: Threaten fanbase by not developing the next Sims game if Sims 4 is not successful.

Step 3: Make loads of money.

Step 4: Repeat.

Sounds like that turning over a new leaf thing isn't working so well right now.

EA management seems so far removed from reality, it's like they're living in a completely different universe. Alienating your fanbase by making your own failures seem like theirs is a great way to do business. It's not selling because it's shit EA! There's no greater conspiracy at work here.

Do we have official numbers yet? Because I personally know no one irl who bought the Sims 4.

Skatologist:
So many nice snarky comments, I'm surprised I didn't find the "Is that a threat or a promise?" one yet.

It's like they're saying "You can't fire me, I QUIT!" to the whole gaming community. It's hilarious.

(I considered taking that as a request, but then decided naaah.)

I'm 100% ok with that plan.

A graphics update and some minor mechanics overhaul is basically all Sims 3 needs, thank you very much. No need to try to sell us a new game.

Vault101:
do we NEED the sims 5?

cause sims 2 seems to be all you need at this point

i agree sims 2 FTW

lucky for us they gave us sims 2 ultimate edition

I'm an actual Sims fan (doll houses are fun!) but if you want to actually sell the brand to people then maybe you should give them a game that gets people excited. Throwing features out of the game that were in the orginal 3 games doesn't get people excited especially with your history. When I saw the Sims 4 I wasn't thinking, oh I can't wait to play that. I looked at the Steam Sims3 page saw that it was 360 dollars for the game and all its expansions then looked at the Sims 4 and knew that buying your game was just an invitation to get ripped off. EA you don't have a good history of selling video games and your customers don't like you, stop taking them for granted and give them value and what they want... not hostage threats and half baked maxis games.

PS: BTW nothing makes me more sad then seeing EA turn my beloved Maxis into a shaddy game developer who I have to assume is lying about their game.

CatLafitte:

Racecarlock:
"Gimme the dough or I kill the broad!" - EA

Bread = the stuff you eat.
Broad = Girl/woman.

Might want to think about rephrasing that sentence of yours... lol.

his sentence is fine. Its a quote from low life gangster threats. Dough is a nickname for money. Its basically a robbery situation of "give me money or i shoot the hostage".

This is just a natural part of EA's cycle of destroying beloved franchises for business and marketing reasons.

It's about time it died and left a vacuum for someone else anyhow. And the once amazing and proud, now sad and technically inept liars, Maxis, can go down with it.

It appears that EA is no longer satisfied with shooting itself in the foot with conventional weaponry and has upgraded to artillery...

TKhanman:
So is this their master plan?
Step 1: Cut corners with the Sims 4 and save some money. (smaller world, no pools and toddlers, bugs, etc.)
Step 2: Threaten fanbase by not developing the next Sims game if Sims 4 is not successful.
Step 3: Make
oads of money.
Step 4: Repeat.
Sounds like that turning over a new leaf thing isn't working so well right now.

Funny, you'd think they would have learned that this wouldn't work after Dead Space 3.

The Sims 4 sucks, and just like Simcity isn't selling well. However people love these games, so the best way to sell them is to threaten not to make another. EA is truely the worst video game company out there!

tippy2k2:
Oh EA, you so silly!

First you say you don't want to be considered the worst company in America again and then you state that if your rush-job piece of S game doesn't sell well, you're going to kill the entire franchise.

But yeah EA, threaten your consumer base. That's the key to not being voted the worst company in America...

No no, the statement itself is reasonable enough. After all if the franchise is no longer profitable, why should they continue it? The problem is they didn't exactly take the steps necessary to ensure that The Sims 4 would be successful and instead banked everything on name recognition.

MarsAtlas:

aceman67:

While thats true, it was the result of trying something to drastically improve the franchise - which it did. Even if you fix the current bugs in The Sims 4, you've got less than The Sims 2 did at release, with the only exception being character creation. The Sims 4 is a blatant downgrade for the series, an insult to a long-time fan like myself. No Create a Style, no Open World, no ability to create new lots, no ability to alter the world or public lots, alongside the game being 32-bit only. This is easily the weakest iteration since the first Sims game, and the engine prevents the game from being improved. While the Sims 3 had, quite frankly, atrocious loading times, everything was loaded once the game did so, and it was improved further into the game's lifecycle. That hope doesn't exist for many of the core features that are either missing or crippled in TS4.

A very good point, there is a reason I finally switched to the sims 3 once weather was finally added back in (honestly I abandoned the idea of getting the Sims 4 once they tried to pull that stunt again) and that reason is that once you get the content with expansions evened out the Sims 3 at its base did actually add things over the Sims 2 base game. I'll admit I was skeptical of the open neighborhood at first but eventually I grew to like it along with the whole story progression town aspect and I even used the create a style tool far more than I thought I would.

In the end the Sims 3 might not have been the best Sims Game ever made but it did do things diffrently and give you a reason to at least try it. What does the Sims 4 give? What makes people buy the game and try it instead of booting up their old copy of 3,2, or even 1? Yes they added in a few new features but when it comes at the cost of so many others how does it hope to balance out?

I'm so frustrated over the whole thing it's like Simcity 2013 all over again, you know someone could make a great game with the IP and some of the mechanics show so much promise (education leading to high tech factories,city specialization) yet it falls flat and seems half done like someone just wanted it out the door and making money as fast as possible.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.