No Plans for Iron Man 4 Says Robert Downey Jr

No Plans for Iron Man 4 Says Robert Downey Jr

Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man

Was Iron Man 3 the end of the era of Tony Stark -- and Robert Downey Jr. -- dominating the Marvel movieverse?

Iron Man 3 made a nice swan song for Tony Stark, neatly wrapping up his story for the eventual exit of actor Robert Downey Jr, whose iconic performance launched the Marvel cinematic universe as we know it. Though Downey is signed for two more Avengers films -- Avengers Age of Ultron in May 2015 and a presumed Avengers 3 beyond that -- he says there are currently no plans for an Iron Man 4. When asked if Downey would allow the role to be recast, the actor laughed it off, saying "I like that the idea is that it would be up to me."

With Marvel expanding its cast of movie characters, bringing in new names like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, it's not a bad time to let Tony Stark bow out. But have we really seen the last of Stark -- even if we have seen the last of Downey? Marvel's recast roles before, but none so central as Tony Stark. With Downey signed up for two more films, we'll likely have to wait and see where Marvel decides to go with the character when his contract is at an end.

Source: Variety

Needless to say, casting would be a huge mistake.

Not only is the Marvel Cinematic Universe based on the foundation of inter-movies continuity (that actor from different movies exist and interact between them in those movies), but no character seems more central to the continuity than Iron Man, in great part thanks to the iconic performance of Robert Downey... At this point, they might as well use a different character if they seriously expect to recast him.

Yes, they changed the original Hulk, but Marvel would pretty much want us to forget about Norton's Banner. Its no coincidence that movie came out at the same time as Iron Man, yet it still has no sequel, while Iron Man has two movies in "phase one".

They shouldn't recast Iron Man. That would be the worst thing they could do.

No, Iron Man 4 should actually be the first movie staring Rescue

I dont doubt that we will see him again in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Even if he is off the main team.

Other than that, given how wildly successful the Iron Man movies have been i would speculate that theres no plans for an Iron Man 4, for now.

I say let his character become a side character. He can show up from time to time in other movies, but I think Iron Man as a franchise is done. You don't want him to get over exposed and then have people getting tired of him.

Allow me to point a counter argument. Why worry about recasting Iron Man at all? What do we gain from seeing him out of armor in future continuity? We've seen the home life rise and fall of Tony Stark. Now they can just leave the suit on, and if they must continue Iron Man as a stand alone, keep him in the suit and make the movie action oriented enough that there would be no reason to get out of it. Drop Robert Downey Jr down to a voice actor, or bring him in for inside the helmet shots only.
Iron Man can step back and new heroes can take the big screen for a bit while they flush out the cosmic and supernatural branches to the MCU. Calling it now, with Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Vision in the game now, Iron-man steps out of the MCU for a more prominent role for Warmachine and we get a West Coast Avengers situation. All we need is for Captain America 3 to have Cap shot by Crossbones and U.S.Agent to step right up and take his shield.

Then, in my wildest dreams, we can have West Coast Avengers versus the Lethal Legion movie.

I'm expecting him to die in Avengers 2 even if he has signed on for another Avengers film after that. There are plenty of other Marvel characters who can benefit from a run of movies though, so I won't be too concerned if we don't see RDJ in another standalone Iron Man movie.

Works for me, the films sucked!

Cameos etc could be fine and as a character he's awesome but yeah...dem movies.

Awww, that's a shame. His performance as Tony Stark was top-notch, no question.

AndrewC:
Works for me, the films sucked!

Cameos etc could be fine and as a character he's awesome but yeah...dem movies.

Come on I agree if you think they weren't the best movies ever but there no where near Disaster Movie territory.

I hope they kill him off or pass the character down like Cap to Bucky in the comics.I hate actors being recasted unless the actor playing the character died.

I think it kind of make sense well kinda.

Ok sure they do mention upcoming future project but I think it's too soon to mention Iron Man future until after Avengers 2.

Armadox:
Allow me to point a counter argument. Why worry about recasting Iron Man at all? What do we gain from seeing him out of armor in future continuity? We've seen the home life rise and fall of Tony Stark. Now they can just leave the suit on, and if they must continue Iron Man as a stand alone, keep him in the suit and make the movie action oriented enough that there would be no reason to get out of it. Drop Robert Downey Jr down to a voice actor, or bring him in for inside the helmet shots only.
Iron Man can step back and new heroes can take the big screen for a bit while they flush out the cosmic and supernatural branches to the MCU. Calling it now, with Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Vision in the game now, Iron-man steps out of the MCU for a more prominent role for Warmachine and we get a West Coast Avengers situation. All we need is for Captain America 3 to have Cap shot by Crossbones and U.S.Agent to step right up and take his shield.

Then, in my wildest dreams, we can have West Coast Avengers versus the Lethal Legion movie.

I'm betting we'll get the Winter Solider as Cap before the U.S Agent. Which is fine by me. Sebastian Stan has done an amazing job with the character (not to mention he still has seven movies left on his contract).

Sounds like a tactic to try and keep RDJ's fee down. Everyone remember that whole "Not Recommended" scene from the end of Iron Man 2? Same deal.

gigastar:
I dont doubt that we will see him again in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Even if he is off the main team.

Other than that, given how wildly successful the Iron Man movies have been i would speculate that theres no plans for an Iron Man 4, for now.

You should not doubt it since he is signed on for them.

I agree with "for now" I wouldn't expect another trilogy but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Iron Man 4 down the line and I would not mind it. I don't want to dissect the previous one but overall they were good. Disapointments and downsides all together still good.

I actually like the idea of the Marvel continuity building to something with some finality to it, even if I'm not convinced they'll do that because gravy train. But if they did, part of that could be the original Avengers moving on/bowing out/dying and new Avengers taking up the title in some distant finale.

Give it a nice closure you never get with comics before we all become bored with the whole thing.

It'd be nice, he played the role to perfection. But, it is likely going to be too cost prohibitive to hire him.

I suspect Downey could pull a significant fee just showing up as Stark in the occasional cameo, or just doing voice-over for the CGI Iron Man. There's really no immediate need to recast him, and I suspect it would be ill-taken by the fan base.

A recast would be dreadful. The only reason they pulled it off with The Hulk is because he only had one movie, and that movie wasn't overly memorable. If they were to get rid of RDJ, they would either have to get rid of the Tony Stark character entirely, or give the Iron Man persona to another character, maybe even introduce Rescue, otherwise, it will be dreadful, because RDJ is Tony Stark.

According to Forbes, RDJ is the highest-paid actor in the world. I imagine Marvel is going to squeeze out all they can out of him in the next two Avengers movies. I also imagine they won't be able to buy RDJ for another round after that. It's a shame because I think he plays the one character that cannot be recast. Maybe Thor too, tops. But Hawkeye, Hulk, Black Widow and Captain America can easily be recast.

Laggyteabag:
A recast would be dreadful ... because RDJ is Tony Stark.

This about a thousand times.
Nobody in the world has the kind of charisma that absolutely matches Tony Stark's character like Robert Downey Jr, it just wouldn't be the same.
Sure, you can do a whole lot of things with makeup and special effects to get the look of Tony Stark and the likeness of RDJ, but you will never get that kind of performance from anyone but RDJ.

Frozengale:
They shouldn't recast Iron Man. That would be the worst thing they could do.

No, Iron Man 4 should actually be the first movie staring Rescue

Rescue is too obscure for non comic fans.

Golan Trevize:

No more obscure than Iron Man was before the films. Certainly not more obscure than Antman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vision, or really everyone other than Hulk and Captain America. When it comes down to it, that's one of the big reasons Marvel are printing money while DC keep struggling - DC keep trying to focus on the big name characters that everyone will recognise, while Marvel just throw in whichever characters they decide will work with no regard for whether people might have heard of them before or not.

Have warmachine step up to the plate... maybe even do some avengers initiative films with Iron man only showing up in cameos?

God I loved the avengers initiative, plus with ant man in the works it could happen!

I like him better in Tropical Thunder than Ironman. "I'm the dude playing the dude disguised as another dude!"

Kahani:

Golan Trevize:

No more obscure than Iron Man was before the films. Certainly not more obscure than Antman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Vision, or really everyone other than Hulk and Captain America. When it comes down to it, that's one of the big reasons Marvel are printing money while DC keep struggling - DC keep trying to focus on the big name characters that everyone will recognise, while Marvel just throw in whichever characters they decide will work with no regard for whether people might have heard of them before or not.

Iron Man was hardly obscure before the films. Guardians of the Galaxy stands on the shoulders of the movies that came before it. Its success has more to do with what is now a very successful brand and obviously being a very good film.

Sorry if I sound like a robot while typing this, but I got code on one screen and cad on the other. :D

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here