Ray Rice is Out of the NFL, On His Way Out of EA's Madden 15

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ray Rice is Out of the NFL, On His Way Out of EA's Madden 15

EA confirms that the former Baltimore Raven will soon be removed from the latest Madden game.

The biggest news of the last 24 hours in North America? Ray Rice having his contract terminated by the Baltimore Ravens, then suspended indefinitely by the NFL. Rice's domestic abuse saga reached its peak, soon after a security video showing him striking fiancee-turned-wife Janay Palmer (now Janay Rice) went public on TMZ Sports. (Warning: Video is graphic.)

Now out of the NFL for the foreseeable future, Ray Rice will soon find himself out of Madden 15, the latest entry in EA's NFL game franchise.

The story broke on Twitter (naturally), as Mike Garafolo from FOX Sports 1 tweeted the news earlier today. The report was then confirmed to USA Today reporter Brett Molina by an EA representative.

Rice's removal from rosters should be complete on or before Friday, September 12th.

Ray Rice (who was never on a Madden NFL cover, but was in the running for Madden 13), won Super Bowl XLVII with the Ravens at the end of the 2012-13 NFL season.

In related news, ESPN (I'm watching SportsCenter as I write this) just reported that Nike is also terminating ties with Ray Rice, ceasing its sponsorship/endorsement deal the former Raven.

Source: Kotaku

That escalated quickly...

We went from The Ravens front office standing by their player who made a mistake to wiping the mans existence away from the team and in digital life.

How easy the mighty can fall if they make the "right" mistake.

tippy2k2:

We went from The Ravens front office standing by their player who made a mistake to wiping the mans existence away from the team and in digital life.

How easy the mighty can fall if they make the "right" mistake.

Well, the NFL did just institute strict new domestic violence rules, so this wasn't entirely unexpected once they had definite proof. I'd say it was the right decision too. The NFL has enough PR issues with players driving drunk, getting high or carrying illegal guns. At least they're cracking down on something.

GJ NFL, now could you do the same for Michael Vick. How many dogs did he personally execute? I forget.

That escalated quickly indeed.

Its about time though that the NFL started to crack down on shit like this. People have gotten the impression that sports stars are free to get away with whatever the hell they want specifically because no one ever holds them accountable for their actions. Domestic violence. Rape accusations. Drunk driving that sometimes even leads to actual injuries of another human being. Holding dog fighting competitions.

These things happen constantly and what does the NFL do? Slap on the wrist fines and extremely short suspensions. Criminal charges are rarely, if ever, actually filed. It send a really horrible message to our youth where famous people can do whatever they want and not only do they not get in trouble, but people actually defend those fuckwads.

Scorpid:
GJ NFL, now could you do the same for Michael Vick. How many dogs did he personally execute? I forget.

I guess you missed the part where Vick spent 18 months in jail, lost $60 million, and now does charity work with the Humane Society.

I guess people who do horrible things should always be reminded if this every second for the rest of their lives, huh?

LarsInCharge:

Scorpid:

I guess you missed the part where Vick spent 18 months in jail, lost $60 million, and now does charity work with the Humane Society.

I guess people who do horrible things should always be reminded if this every second for the rest of their lives, huh?

The question is why is he still playing for the NFL when he actually killed while a guy who just hits someone gets suspended for life?
Vick hasn't even been removed from games while this guy is. Just seems the crime hierarchy is kinda messed up.

Xan Krieger:

LarsInCharge:

Scorpid:

The question is why is he still playing for the NFL when he actually killed while a guy who just hits someone gets suspended for life?
Vick hasn't even been removed from games while this guy is. Just seems the crime hierarchy is kinda messed up.

Rice is indefinitely suspended, he'll likely be back in the NFL within two years.

Vick was suspended for two years, came back by doing charity work with the Humane Society, and the world moved on. Like how the crime and punishment system in the US is supposed to work.

LarsInCharge:

Xan Krieger:

LarsInCharge:

Rice is indefinitely suspended, he'll likely be back in the NFL within two years.

Vick was suspended for two years, came back by doing charity work with the Humane Society, and the world moved on. Like how the crime and punishment system in the US is supposed to work.

I didn't think Rice would be back, I thought indefinitely meant forever.

Xan Krieger:

LarsInCharge:

Xan Krieger:

I didn't think Rice would be back, I thought indefinitely meant forever.

For the NFL, "indefinitely" means "We have yet to determine a punishment length".

It will likely be for the rest of this season, maybe more.

Xan Krieger:
I thought indefinitely meant forever.

indefinitely (adverb)

for an unlimited or unspecified period of time.
"talks cannot go on indefinitely"

Not forever, just that the duration of his suspension has not yet been decided.
Also re: Vick and dogfighting - just a reminder, dogs are not humans, even if they're loved like family (I have one of my own). Abuse and violence towards people are regarded at an entirely different level than that directed at animals.

Kieve:

Xan Krieger:

indefinitely (adverb)

Also re: Vick and dogfighting - just a reminder, dogs are not humans, even if they're loved like family (I have one of my own). Abuse and violence towards people are regarded at an entirely different level than that directed at animals.

While that may be the case, Vick received the harshest punishment in league history for it. It's not like he was given a paddling and was ready to play the next week.

LarsInCharge:

Kieve:

Xan Krieger:

indefinitely (adverb)

While that may be the case, Vick received the harshest punishment in league history for it. It's not like he was given a paddling and was ready to play the next week.

I know, it was more directed at this:

Xan Krieger:
The question is why is he still playing for the NFL when he actually killed, while a guy who just hits someone gets suspended for life?

Drawing comparisons between human and animal abuse just doesn't work that way, at least in a legal sense. They're both immoral and wrong, but trying to compare punishments is a false equivalence.

Xan Krieger:

LarsInCharge:

Scorpid:

Yeah I'm not suggesting that he needs to go back to jail or pay more fines or whatever. I think our Justice System is so fucked up that I would rarely want to see anyone go to jail except for the most violent of crimes. That said the organization allowing that scumbag to play, make money and represent them doesn't suggest anything good about the NFL. I think its immoral that they do.

Let this be known to all: don't smack people around and expect to get away with it. Thing is the whole ordeal seems to be getting even worse as now people are wondering if NFL officials tried to cover things up in order to keep the NFL's image from being sullied. Not a good thing to have

Scorpid:

Xan Krieger:

LarsInCharge:

Yeah I'm not suggesting that he needs to go back to jail or pay more fines or whatever. I think our Justice System is so fucked up that I would rarely want to see anyone go to jail except for the most violent of crimes. That said the organization allowing that scumbag to play, make money and represent them doesn't suggest anything good about the NFL. I think its immoral that they do.

Problem is that that is the same line of logic that felons get when they leave prison. They can't find a job anywhere, so they resort to crime to survive.

The NFL is his job. He served his time, and gets hate from every direction every Sunday from people like you. Let him move on from his mistake.

LarsInCharge:

Scorpid:

Xan Krieger:

Problem is that that is the same line of logic that felons get when they leave prison. They can't find a job anywhere, so they resort to crime to survive.

The NFL is his job. He served his time, and gets hate from every direction every Sunday from people like you. Let him move on from his mistake.

That is the same sort of logic if you took out the disgusting amount of money he makes. The dude will make millions and millions. He could retire today and live comfortably. Athletes that stay in past a certain amount of time do it for the legacy, and he doesn't deserve a legacy for what he did. There is also the fact that as horrible as what Rice did, I've been angry before at a girlfriend I've felt that split second urge of wanting to harm them (I had the better sense to back off from it quickly) but I can guess at his feeling. I have never once in my entire life looked at a dog, any dog or pet and thought "I'd really like to see this dog fight this other dog to the death and take bets on which animal will survive. And if my dog fails I'm going to put a bullet in its head because its weak. It'll be so much fun." The line of logic is far different and I think worse in a way. One comes from anger and/or fear the other comes from a devalueing of life for some weekend pleasure. Rice deserves what he is getting but Michael Vick deserves never to play in the NFL again. If Pete Rose can get that for taking bets, if the white Sox team from like the 20s that threw a world series on purpose deserves a perma ban to prevent those people from having a legacy then Michael Vick certainly does.

Scorpid:

LarsInCharge:

Scorpid:

That is the same sort of logic if you took out the disgusting amount of money he makes. The dude will make millions and millions. He could retire today and live comfortably. Athletes that stay in past a certain amount of time do it for the legacy, and he doesn't deserve a legacy for what he did. There is also the fact that as horrible as what Rice did, I've been angry before at a girlfriend I've felt that split second urge of wanting to harm them (I had the better sense to back off from it quickly) but I can guess at his feeling. I have never once in my entire life looked at a dog, any dog or pet and thought "I'd really like to see this dog fight this other dog to the death and take bets on which animal will survive. And if my dog fails I'm going to put a bullet in its head because its weak. It'll be so much fun." The line of logic is far different and I think worse in a way. One comes from anger and/or fear the other comes from a devalueing of life for some weekend pleasure. Rice deserves what he is getting but Michael Vick deserves never to play in the NFL again. If Pete Rose can get that for taking bets, if the white Sox team from like the 20s that threw a world series on purpose deserves a perma ban to prevent those people from having a legacy then Michael Vick certainly does.

Yeah, I get it. If he was publicly dismembered, you would complain he wasn't dipped in acid first.

On your line of reasoning, why not just execute him? Without football, his life is over. He has no degree, no marketable skills, and a felony on his record so he can't work in 95% of places. Why not just strap him in the electric chair and be done with him?

This is his profession, sorry that it pays more than most. You don't have to cheer for him, or watch his team, or buy his jersey. He served jail time, helps the Humane Society. I'm not sure what more you're expecting.

tippy2k2:

It escalated anything but quickly. A video of Rice dragging her unconscious wife out of an elevator has been out since February. It took a second video of Rice actually punching her inside the elevator (don't know why it didn't surface before) to stir any kind of fuss again.

Johnny Novgorod:

tippy2k2:

It escalated anything but quickly. A video of Rice dragging her unconscious wife out of an elevator has been out since February. It took a second video of Rice actually punching her inside the elevator (don't know why it didn't surface before) to stir any kind of fuss again.

That's what I mean.

Yesterday, it went from Harbaugh and The Ravens front office all stated that they were 100% standing by Ray Rice. He made a mistake but we all support this kind man they all said.

Now everyone on that team is scrambling away as fast as they possibly can because this video came out. Rice didn't do anything else; merely a video of him doing exactly what we all knew came out to show us what we all knew already.

It went from 0 to 60 in a day.

Huh. That's kinda odd.

Not that I really mind frankly, but am I reading this right in that the video in question was taken before they were married, meaning that she still married him regardless?

No accounting for judgement I suppose - guess I would just like to hear what she has to say about all this.

josh4president:
Huh. That's kinda odd.

Not that I really mind frankly, but am I reading this right in that the video in question was taken before they were married, meaning that she still married him regardless?

No accounting for judgement I suppose - guess I would just like to hear what she has to say about all this.

She blamed the media. Rumors are that she kept going with the marriage for the money... now that's a gonna be an issue.

Good for the bastard. Hitting a woman out of anger is in book the worst thing can do. I get so fuckin pissed when I hear or see a man hitting a woman. I always tell my sister if your husband or boyfriend ever hits you I'm gonna go off like Sonny from the godfather.

Honestly,he should have been released back in February when the initial video was released, and it's a shame that we had to actually see Rice cold-cocking his fiance into an elevator rail for actual strict punishment to be dished out. That being said, the Madden thing is superficial, but probably the right move. I highly doubt anyone is going to want to Tebow up Rice for redemption like they did in last year's game.

I know that this is done for ethical reasons and that I'm meant to care about the reputation of the game (lol, American Football), but that's not the part that caught my eye.

The first update that a game will receive will literally be removing content from it, without offering anything to compensate players (bug fixes don't count). That's fuckin' weird.

shintakie10:

Its about time though that the NFL started to crack down on shit like this. People have gotten the impression that sports stars are free to get away with whatever the hell they want specifically because no one ever holds them accountable for their actions. Domestic violence. Rape accusations. Drunk driving that sometimes even leads to actual injuries of another human being. Holding dog fighting competitions.

(bolding mine)

Wait, an accusation of a crime is equal to an actual crime now? Sorry, but FUCK NO.

Baron_BJ:
I know that this is done for ethical reasons and that I'm meant to care about the reputation of the game (lol, American Football), but that's not the part that caught my eye.

The first update that a game will receive will literally be removing content from it, without offering anything to compensate players (bug fixes don't count). That's fuckin' weird.

Because it's an EXTREMELY small part of the game that doesn't affect anything. The Ravens have Bernard Pierce, who has about the same ratings as Rice, so it doesn't even change gameplay that much.

Baron_BJ:

Under the circumstances, I'd say the first update is enhancing the game's value tremendously...

Baron_BJ:

We're talking about the equivalent of removing a single NPC in a single area of an MMO who was unimportant to the actual game. Or the removal of some armoured chaps in an Elder Scrolls game. It's impact on the quality of the game is negligible from a purely gameplay standpoint, and improves it from a PR stand point by not associating with this asshole.

The customer isn't losing anything of actual value here.

Baron_BJ:

Others have commented but I will add that this is not the first update. The rosters are updated every week to reflect injury, player stat changes, and cuts.

In fact, since this is done every week with the players, it would have been more surprising to me if they didn't do this to reflect the current team.

LarsInCharge:
Because it's an EXTREMELY small part of the game that doesn't affect anything. The Ravens have Bernard Pierce, who has about the same ratings as Rice, so it doesn't even change gameplay that much.

Ten Foot Bunny:
Under the circumstances, I'd say the first update is enhancing the game's value tremendously...

I'm not commenting on whether the removal of the man from the roster is ethical, it's readily apparent that the man is a deplorable prick. I just find it to be an odd quirk that this is pretty much the only situation where the removal of content from a game is considered a positive.

Hence my use of the word "weird" instead of "bad".

Vivi22:
We're talking about the equivalent of removing a single NPC in a single area of an MMO who was unimportant to the actual game. Or the removal of some armoured chaps in an Elder Scrolls game. It's impact on the quality of the game is negligible from a purely gameplay standpoint, and improves it from a PR stand point by not associating with this asshole.

The customer isn't losing anything of actual value here.

It's not equivalent at all, the fact that a new Madden is churned out every year is a testament to that. The games themselves have barely changed whatsoever. One of the big selling points of the series is that it has an accurate and up to date roster of the players. If people were interested in the series based on pure mechanics then there wouldn't be a new game every year. This directly ties into the man's removal from the game.

Once again, because of this system, we have a quirky situation where we are presented with what is essentially one of the lone scenarios where people would find the removal of content from a game to be a good thing. I'll bet people have trouble thinking of another situation where people wouldn't complain about having more content pre-patch.

LarsInCharge:

Scorpid:

Xan Krieger:

Punching a woman isn't a mistake, it's a choice. Nice of you to downplay it though.

Kinitawowi:

shintakie10:

(bolding mine)

Wait, an accusation of a crime is equal to an actual crime now? Sorry, but FUCK NO.

In 2010 Ben Roethlisberger was investigated for sexual assault inside the women's restroom of the Capital City nightclub. The accuser, a then-20-year-old student at nearby Georgia College & State University, was seen at several establishments with Roethlisberger leading up to the incident, including posing for a photograph with him. Roethlisberger spoke with police the night of the incident and stated that he did have contact with the woman that was not "consummated" and afterward the accuser slipped and injured her head.

These allegations led to a 6 game suspension, which was reduced to 4 games.

AkaDad:

LarsInCharge:

Scorpid:

Punching a woman isn't a mistake, it's a choice. Nice of you to downplay it though.

1. We were talking about Michael Vick at the moment, not Ray Rice.

2. They both made bad choices. They both committed crimes. I would say they made mistakes.

LarsInCharge:

AkaDad:

LarsInCharge:

1. We were talking about Michael Vick at the moment, not Ray Rice.

2. They both made bad choices. They both committed crimes. I would say they made mistakes.

Talking about Rice instead of Vick was a mistake. Those two made deliberate choices.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here