Ray Rice is Out of the NFL, On His Way Out of EA's Madden 15

Pages PREV 1 2

AkaDad:

LarsInCharge:

Scorpid:
Yeah I'm not suggesting that he needs to go back to jail or pay more fines or whatever. I think our Justice System is so fucked up that I would rarely want to see anyone go to jail except for the most violent of crimes. That said the organization allowing that scumbag to play, make money and represent them doesn't suggest anything good about the NFL. I think its immoral that they do.

Problem is that that is the same line of logic that felons get when they leave prison. They can't find a job anywhere, so they resort to crime to survive.

The NFL is his job. He served his time, and gets hate from every direction every Sunday from people like you. Let him move on from his mistake.

Punching a woman isn't a mistake, it's a choice. Nice of you to downplay it though.

Um... you do realize that he's talking about Vick, right? Vick is the guy who was involved in a dog-fighting ring and went to jail over it.

He's not talking about the wife-punching, yet-to-be-convicted Rice here.

AkaDad:

LarsInCharge:

AkaDad:

Punching a woman isn't a mistake, it's a choice. Nice of you to downplay it though.

1. We were talking about Michael Vick at the moment, not Ray Rice.

2. They both made bad choices. They both committed crimes. I would say they made mistakes.

Talking about Rice instead of Vick was a mistake. Those two made deliberate choices.

You're arguing semantics. I'm not saying "mistake" like spilling a glass of milk. I'm saying "mistake" like making a bad decision.

LarsInCharge:

AkaDad:

LarsInCharge:

1. We were talking about Michael Vick at the moment, not Ray Rice.

2. They both made bad choices. They both committed crimes. I would say they made mistakes.

Talking about Rice instead of Vick was a mistake. Those two made deliberate choices.

You're arguing semantics. I'm not saying "mistake" like spilling a glass of milk. I'm saying "mistake" like making a bad decision.

lol. You're absolutely right! Would I also be arguing semantics if I brought up the fact that you compared living comfortably off of the millions you have already earned to being dipped in acid and dismembered?

EDIT: Excuse me, that was your strawman argument. You actually compared it to being executed in an electric chair.

llafnwod:

LarsInCharge:

AkaDad:

lol. You're absolutely right! Would I also be arguing semantics if I brought up the fact that you compared living comfortably off of the millions you have already earned to being dipped in acid and dismembered?

EDIT: Excuse me, that was your strawman argument. You actually compared it to being executed in an electric chair.

It wasn't a Strawman, it was Reducto Ad Absurdium. Learn your fallacies.

The question is, what do you want? Do you want a person who has served their time in jail and now helps out in the community to pay for his crimes for the rest of his days?

For me hes committed a crime. He was issued a 2 match ban, its a criminal matter to be pursued through court rather than at work. To then change the punishment because someone leaked a video is pandering. Does it affect his ability to do his job?f

bjj hero:
For me hes committed a crime. He was issued a 2 match ban, its a criminal matter to be pursued through court rather than at work. To then change the punishment because someone leaked a video is pandering. Does it affect his ability to do his job?f

The issue is the Player Conduct Policy, where any action a player takes that presents negative attention towards the team or the league calls for additional penalties. The worse you make the league look publicly, the worse you get punished.

LarsInCharge:

bjj hero:

The issue is the Player Conduct Policy, where any action a player takes that presents negative attention towards the team or the league calls for additional penalties. The worse you make the league look publicly, the worse you get punished.

I find that interesting. So the league gives zero shits that he hit his fiance, the sanction is because people are talking about it.

bjj hero:

LarsInCharge:

bjj hero:

I find that interesting. So the league gives zero shits that he hit his fiance, the sanction is because people are talking about it.

Pretty much. You can do whatever you want as a professional athlete as long as no one rages about it.

LarsInCharge:

Scorpid:

LarsInCharge:

Problem is that that is the same line of logic that felons get when they leave prison. They can't find a job anywhere, so they resort to crime to survive.

The NFL is his job. He served his time, and gets hate from every direction every Sunday from people like you. Let him move on from his mistake.

That is the same sort of logic if you took out the disgusting amount of money he makes. The dude will make millions and millions. He could retire today and live comfortably. Athletes that stay in past a certain amount of time do it for the legacy, and he doesn't deserve a legacy for what he did. There is also the fact that as horrible as what Rice did, I've been angry before at a girlfriend I've felt that split second urge of wanting to harm them (I had the better sense to back off from it quickly) but I can guess at his feeling. I have never once in my entire life looked at a dog, any dog or pet and thought "I'd really like to see this dog fight this other dog to the death and take bets on which animal will survive. And if my dog fails I'm going to put a bullet in its head because its weak. It'll be so much fun." The line of logic is far different and I think worse in a way. One comes from anger and/or fear the other comes from a devalueing of life for some weekend pleasure. Rice deserves what he is getting but Michael Vick deserves never to play in the NFL again. If Pete Rose can get that for taking bets, if the white Sox team from like the 20s that threw a world series on purpose deserves a perma ban to prevent those people from having a legacy then Michael Vick certainly does.

Yeah, I get it. If he was publicly dismembered, you would complain he wasn't dipped in acid first.

On your line of reasoning, why not just execute him? Without football, his life is over. He has no degree, no marketable skills, and a felony on his record so he can't work in 95% of places. Why not just strap him in the electric chair and be done with him?

This is his profession, sorry that it pays more than most. You don't have to cheer for him, or watch his team, or buy his jersey. He served jail time, helps the Humane Society. I'm not sure what more you're expecting.

I said ban. Stop trying to say my argument goes farther then that. I don't think he should go back to jail either. He can easily finish his degree with the money he has and he can probably retire too. If this guy quit Football there is no chance he would just go into the bottom of the work pool. He's not going to be flipping burgers anywhere. Also he has no marketable skills?! He's a professional football player, thats not nothing.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here