Report: Microsoft to Buy Minecraft Dev Mojang for $2.5 Billion - Update 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Eric the Orange:
Hey remember when we needed more than a rumor to write news, like when Google bought twitch and everyone reported on that.

To be fair the article does make clear that that there is no official conformation and things are still developing. If everyone waited until every part of a story was 100% confirmed they wouldn't make any money because everyone else would have reported on it already. It's the nature of journalism in the internet age, even places that are trying to do good reporting need to get clicks somehow.

In all seriousness this is a good deal for Mojang. The other games have not been stellar at all. They need some guidance especially for Mojang legal and PR/social media teams whom have been dropping the ball a lot lately. I see this is a way to light a fire under the butts at Mojang and get them out of the shadow of Minecraft and create more good games.

Mojang doesn't even work on the console ports of Minecraft, that is all 4J Studios.

And nothing of value was lost. Mojang could certainly add more expansions to MC, but for the most part, they've done a lot already with a game that you can play for hours every day. We all already have it on PC, and mods satisfy most of what we're missing. And they seem to be done with updating it anyway, for the most part. By that I mean it seems they're tiring of it. I hope M$ does sink in the cash, then misses the jump and ribcages it.

This is madness! I dont see why anything they create after Minecraft would be worth them owning the developer.

Hmmm... Prehaps they are thinking of buying Minecraft so that they can produce a sequel?

Aiddon:
And we thought Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive was bad. If this is true there would be a meltdown of monumental proportions. Seriously, we would have to make an actual monument to commemorate such an event.

If this is true, this would just be MS trying to find a way to beef up their first party arsenal; the thing that has always bugged me about MS (and to a lesser extent Sony) is how they've never tried to properly expand their first party repertoire. They have Halo and Fable, but then you look at how badly they managed Rare and how few exclusives they have. Seriously, were they so busy throwing out wads of money to 3rd parties that they forgot to keep a little to themselves? Seriously guys, you eventually have to build up your own studios in order to have a selling point for your console and just a handful of titles isn't going to cut it. Consoles can't just be 3rd party machines.

Bayonetta 2 being Wii U exclusive was because no one else besides Nintendo would fund it, without Nintendo, there would be no Bayonetta 2. This is something else that will be really weird if it turns out to be true since Minecraft is multi-platform. We might see ms pull it from everything but the xbone and pc.

<.< >.>

....whyyyy?

Why would this help MS in any way? Why would this help Mojang/Notch? What would anyone have to gain from this? I...I don't....whaaaaat?

This doesn't sound particularly likely to me. Why sell Mojang? It's pretty much a pure revenue spigot at this point. What would Notch have to gain by selling the company to MS for any price that MS could hope to recover from the studio's revenue?

gamegod25:
<.< >.>

....whyyyy?

Why would this help MS in any way? Why would this help Mojang/Notch? What would anyone have to gain from this? I...I don't....whaaaaat?

Think about it: The sequal to Minecraft...Xbox One Exclusive. Or hell, even just another game from the creator of Minecraft will be a huge draw for people.
Or wait don't think about, it might give you nightmares.

There are many out there who play nothing Minecraft. Microsoft can potentially make a lot of money, and new console adopters, from this deal.

BloodSquirrel:
This doesn't sound particularly likely to me. Why sell Mojang? It's pretty much a pure revenue spigot at this point. What would Notch have to gain by selling the company to MS for any price that MS could hope to recover from the studio's revenue?

Stop asking reasonable questions!

Likely, if this is true and not just a rumor (I think it's a rumor tbh), 2 billion dollars is more than minecraft is actually worth as a property today so they're just speculating that they can exploit the brand in the future. If Microsoft is stupid enough to pay that, then why not. Notch could buy free cheese for everyone in Stockholm and have a statue and a parade in honor of him and still have 1.99 billion dollars left over.

All that being said, I'm playing Magic Farm 2 right now, so this is unlikely to affect me either way.

Perspective: Disney bought Marvel comics for $2B.

If you don't sell your one hit wonder game company for $2B you are a fool.

And now we have Bloomberg reporting about Microsoft buying Mojang. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-09/microsoft-said-near-2-billion-deal-for-minecraft-maker.html

This... I'm really confused about this. This 2 billion could have been used to help push up the Xbox's service and games. And unless Microsoft would make Minecraft Xbox specific (At the expense of the PC market and others), there'd be legitimately no point in my eyes.

Jake Martinez:

BloodSquirrel:

Stop asking reasonable questions!

Likely, if this is true and not just a rumor (I think it's a rumor tbh), 2 billion dollars is more than minecraft is actually worth as a property today so they're just speculating that they can exploit the brand in the future. If Microsoft is stupid enough to pay that, then why not. Notch could buy free cheese for everyone in Stockholm and have a statue and a parade in honor of him and still have 1.99 billion dollars left over.

All that being said, I'm playing Magic Farm 2 right now, so this is unlikely to affect me either way.

Looking at it by the numbers, in 2012 Minecraft brought in $101 Million profit, and 2013 between $150-300 Million(depending on the source). In it 5 years since alpha started, it brought in less than $1 billion total. I don't see it making $2 billion in the next 10 years. The other IP's Mojang has are not worth really much than a couple million. It a bad deal for Microsoft, a huge gift for Mojang.

Wait isn't Minecraft made in java?

EHKOS:
And nothing of value was lost. Mojang could certainly add more expansions to MC, but for the most part, they've done a lot already with a game that you can play for hours every day. We all already have it on PC, and mods satisfy most of what we're missing. And they seem to be done with updating it anyway, for the most part. By that I mean it seems they're tiring of it. I hope M$ does sink in the cash, then misses the jump and ribcages it.

^This

My first reaction was "NOOOOOOOO!!!"

But few minutes later I decided that it's actually OK

Hell, there are a lot of what mods are capable to do
Only thing that could be done is making MC much more optimized to use as little resources as possible
But it isn't sequel material, but rather a patch.

Only negative aspect is that M$ could decide to go after modpack organizers (mostly Technic and FTB)

Eric the Orange:
Hey remember when we needed more than a rumor to write news, like when Google bought twitch and everyone reported on that.

And they would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids and their antitrust laws.

This seems like an investment that isn't likely to pay off, unless Minecraft t-shirts are selling absolutely insane amounts.

Let them buy it. Mojang isn't worth 2 billion. Notch is worth more and he could use that money to start his own bigger studio and work on some amazing new IPs.

Adam Jensen:
Let them buy it. Mojang isn't worth 2 billion. Notch is worth more and he could use that money to start his own bigger studio and work on some amazing new IPs.

As much as I love Minecraft (disclosure: I'm a pretty heavy Minecraft Modder with a popular pack under a pseudonym), I don't think Notch is all that great. Don't get me wrong, he made a fun game that I obviously love, but as a programmer don't hold him in the same regard as I would say, a John Carmack, especially after looking through the code and seeing how he abused openGL :P

On the design side - well, I dunno. Minecraft is a great idea, but there's no "game" to it. It's really just an elaborate electronic toy. It's like digital legos mixed with time gating and if you're playing hardore, a fail state (otherwise there is no fail state in Minecraft at all...)

The best things that can be said about Notch is that he had a great idea and vision and has reportedly treated all of the people that work for/with him at Mojang quite excellent. He hasn't really done much other than that.

Jake Martinez:

Adam Jensen:

As much as I love Minecraft (disclosure: I'm a pretty heavy Minecraft Modder with a popular pack under a pseudonym), I don't think Notch is all that great. Don't get me wrong, he made a fun game that I obviously love, but as a programmer don't hold him in the same regard as I would say, a John Carmack, especially after looking through the code and seeing how he abused openGL :P

On the design side - well, I dunno. Minecraft is a great idea, but there's no "game" to it. It's really just an elaborate electronic toy. It's like digital legos mixed with time gating and if you're playing hardore, a fail state (otherwise there is no fail state in Minecraft at all...)

The best things that can be said about Notch is that he had a great idea and vision and has reportedly treated all of the people that work for/with him at Mojang quite excellent. He hasn't really done much other than that.

I know he's not a great programmer. But he has a famous name now. That's something Microsoft can't buy, and it's something he can capitalize on and move on from Minecraft.

Hmm, just stumbled onto this 2-year old tweet from Notch on the Minecraft reddit...

https://twitter.com/notch/status/281139739304800256

Ooh boy, Minecrosoft here we come.

M$ would have to sell a huge amount of Minecraft 2 copies to earn back that 2 billion plus and Minecraft isn't anywhere near the same league as GTA.

Are they hoping to make a successful subscription based MMO out of the Minecraft IP? I can't imagine how this could work.

Notch is lazy, period. Look at the new content from update 1.8; many things that were added came out from mods years ago. The modding API is announced for years, the whole thing is still written in Java. Just go to any Minecraft forum and you will always find a thread about the lack of new content or the massive amount of time it takes Mojang to produce same.
I think this says everything, just replace Jeb with microsoft.

Well... I'm glad I just wasted twenty bucks on the PS4 port.

The amount of false entitlement in the minecraft community is simply ridiculous.
How many devs update their 20$ game for 5 years for free?
EA would have made a sequel for everything single Feature and update that Mojang put out for free.
I agree, the modding API is long overdue. But else?
Claming lazyness or boredom is, in my opinion, unfair.
Anyway, since there was no comment up until now there seem to be things going on...

Edit: spelling

Hiramas:
Mathe about of false entitlement in the minecraft community is simply ridiculous.
EA would have made a sequel for everything single Features and update that Montag put out for free.
Anyway, since there was no comment up until now there seem to be things going on...

I agree completely. I bought Minecraft WAY back in the day and I played it for longer than I'd like to admit, loved every second of it. They pushed out updates everyone so often, I got more play out of that 10 bucks or so (probably by a factor of 10 easily) than I did Dishonored AND it's being updated still today. With AAA games now having 10 hours of gameplay as acceptable I think 10 bucks for hundreds of hours is quite good :)

If they really buy it for that price they are doing it wrong. They could do a lot more things (like make their XBox-division not suck) with that amount of money. Sure, some of that would be in MS stock but just with the cash part of such a transaction they could do more interesting stuff.

faefrost:
Billion? as in with a B?!?!?! Holy Fluq!

Dear Notch, You have our blessing to sell out. Please go for it.

I agree wholeheartedly. Sure, i'm not really looking forward to the things microsoft might do with it, but can you really be mad at Notch if he goes through this deal? 2 Billion USD is beyond most people's understanding. I can understand how much $10 million is, maybe even $100 million. But 2 Billion USD?

If he goes through with it, good on him.

hakkarin:
I know what, I think this would actually be a good thing.

Just what exactly has Notch actually done for Minecraft? Sure he created the actual core game, but the overwhelming majority of the content for the game comes from mods. Notch's actual additions to the game over the years have been very minimalistic and some even accused Notch of being lazy. If MS gets the licence, then perhaps they will actually do something with it.

Microsoft certainly has the money for it, too. Heck, maybe they can use all the cash they saved on advertising Destiny in the UK (that sony paid activision to not allow them to do..) and put it to good use here!

rofltehcat:
If they really buy it for that price they are doing it wrong. They could do a lot more things (like make their XBox-division not suck) with that amount of money. Sure, some of that would be in MS stock but just with the cash part of such a transaction they could do more interesting stuff.

Thing is... they are turning the Xbox division around ALREADY. Besides, it doesnt suck. Quite the opposite, in fact. I see this as yet another move to bolster the forward progress they are already making after their Xbox One initial debacle.

SonOfVoorhees:
Minecraft sucks, so no idea why MS is buying them. What, is there a Minecraft 2 on the horizon? I know people moan, but MS is a company and they buy and invest in other companies. Google has bought loads of companies and no one bats an eyelid - so would there be hate if Google bought out Minecraft? Its old, dont know why people are moaning, games on new and old gen and PC. So even though i dont care about Minecraft, i do wonder if they have another game up their sleeve. MS arent going to buy a company when their main game is already on the Sony console.

And Minecraft is probably the most successful game of all time at this point, with massive sales from just porting the game to newer systems, a massive merchandising wing, and an insane amount of popularity that continues to rise. To say that wouldn't get Microsoft's attention is idiocy. Regardless, this is obviously fake. Theres no reason Mojang would accept such a deal since Minecraft basically set them for life and is a massive money stream. And Notch loves being his own boss, and being able to fund any game he wants with his pocket change.

This could go either way but my guess is that Mojang will turn down such an offer. I could be wrong but that would certainly lose their 'indie' rep. If they can still be said to have that.

Riff Moonraker:

rofltehcat:

Thing is... they are turning the Xbox division around ALREADY. Besides, it doesnt suck. Quite the opposite, in fact. I see this as yet another move to bolster the forward progress they are already making after their Xbox One initial debacle.

This is news to me. From what I heard, it was doing even worse then it ever has before, and seeing as they had never ever made a profit before, I don't see that being true.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Riff Moonraker:

rofltehcat:

This is news to me. From what I heard, it was doing even worse then it ever has before, and seeing as they had never ever made a profit before, I don't see that being true.

I'm not referring to it in a monetary sense. In that regard, I dont know, I would have to go looking that up. But I thought that the Xbox division (not now, with a new console release and all) was at one point pulling a profit with the 360, even with the money they put towards fixes for the RROD. Again, I am not entirely sure if thats true, though. Also, I have heard Sony is in worse financial straits than Microsoft, and their playstation division was their ONLY shining light at the moment.

*EDIT* I tried to go look a few things up, since it was quiet at the moment and I had a few minutes to myself. Just scanning the surface, and really some of the verbage they use in ALL of these articles can get quite confusing, here is how it comes across to me:

Microsoft Xbox Division: disparaging reports that I either cannot interpret correctly, or cannot trust. Either way, some come off saying it has never actually turned a profit, per se, but in the same sentence it is sometimes painted as doing well and increasing revenue for Microsoft. Some articles seem to paint a picture like it has (not currently) and some not. But pretty much all the articles make references in comparison to Sony that Microsoft is obviously more profitable than Sony, and has much, much deeper pockets.

My take from it all... it seems that they decided they wanted to get into the gaming business, did so, had successes and failures, and are determined to stick it out longterm and make something out of it. Their other successes allow them to take plenty of hits, with their overall integrity remaining intact, and unaffected.

Sony Playstation Division: Plenty of reports, again with plenty of confusing verbage. Alot more straight across the board, than reports I tried scoping out for Microsoft. They all look pretty telling and dour. Their are some serious issues at Sony in almost every aspect EXCEPT their gaming division. They are nowhere near the end of their rope, but their seems to be some very serious concern by the japanese heads of this company.

My take from it all... going by what I read, Sony has most definitely posted profit with their Playstation division, but it doesnt appear to be something I would go running around ballyhooing. Nearly every other aspect of Sony looks to be doing its best impression of The Titanic, and that is really bad. Sony does not have the monetary clout that Microsoft has, and has been cutting every corner they can to gain and hold a lead over Microsoft, and while it is currently working, they are shaving things so thin that their profits, while indeed profits, are scant. With the rest of Sony's world not looking so well, if Microsoft does a few things right, such as another price cut on the Xbox One, certain games causing a swing in the tide of sales, etc. then Sony is going to be in serious trouble. Even if they were to drop alot of the other divisions as dead weight, and make themselves leaner, meaner, gamedivision focuses little machines, their financial clout would be reduced to such a point that they couldnt compete with Microsoft blow to blow, and that could be bad as well.

Why Microsoft, why? Why would you waste 2 fucking billion dollar on incompetent developer? Minecraft was a lucky blind hit and they didn't do anything else afterwards. They don't know shit about programming since they always keep saying something is impossible only for a single modder without an real access to the games code to make a mod.

Just buy the IP if you want, but for fucks sake don't take Mojan.

Hiramas:
The amount of false entitlement in the minecraft community is simply ridiculous.
EA would have made a sequel for everything single Feature and update that Mojang put out for free.

Edit: spelling

It's not false entitlement . Notch promised he will keep the game updated. It's his own fault. People bought the game on many promised, out which most where never fulfilled.
What EA or anyone else would do doesn't matter.

Honestly I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago. I got it during the early alpha stage, enjoyed it up until release until they started fucking up the game and I don't care anymore, but there are other people who supported the game as a early as I did and they want the things he promised. I and many other gave him money for an unfinished game on the promise on many features that are still missing from the game. And the people complaining have all the right to complain. They are entitled to it.

Who cares...
I'd rather Microsoft spent the money on some better inhouse devs, you could buy a fair few for that sort of money
Mojang is a joke as dev studios go, they were lucky with Minecraft and that's all they have. They haven't given any hope they have the ability to even recreate a small percentage of that same success and Notch is a colossal bellend who definitely should not be given such a large amount of money, he's a big enough prick as it is...

Microsoft are essentially spending $2billion for the rights to Minecraft and the name Mojang
For them to turn Mojang into a profitable company in the long term, in which they have to have other successful commercial properties, they'd have to just turn them into a normal business...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.