The Singularity is Near with Transverse, Piranha's New Space MMORPG

The Singularity is Near with Transverse, Piranha's New Space MMORPG

Ray Kurzweil will be all up in this Transverse business.

Piranha Games, the studio behind 2013's MechWarrior Online, is ready to talk about its next project. From a game about giant mechs beating the tar out of each other on planets in parts unknown, we are transitioning to some Futurist-looking, body-snatching "trans-humans" beating the tar out of, well, other trans-humans...on planets in parts unknown.

Transverse is an MMORPG set in the far reaches of our galaxy, set in the year 2315. The people of the Sol Republic (fancy talk for Earth and the Solar System) long ago cast the "trans-humans," -- those who would transfer their being to synthetic, human-like shells -- to The Fringe, a chunk of the known galaxy outside Earth's control. Transverse is all about how those trans-humans have factioned up to fight each other, and possibly some other enemies found out in the vacuum of space.

Along with the large-scale strategy that any space-based game promises, Transverse is bringing deep focus to vehicular/ship combat. Similar to MWO, players will have to manage ship systems during firefights, as to not overload weapons, build up excess heat, and so on. The macro-micro relationship is strong with this one.

The four factions in Transverse -- Puresect, Neostate Alliance, Exceedant States, Eriscent -- all "represent a different interpretation of trans-human values." This kind of man-meets-machine deep dive is exactly what gets Ray Kurzweil all hot and bothered, let me tell you.

Transverse smacks of Firefly, StarCraft, Battlestar Galactica, and maybe some Wing Commander canon thrown in for funsies. If the influences, trailer, and prospect of living out Ray Kurzweil's fantasies get your motor running? Piranha is already selling tiers (similar to MWO before launch), starting at $30. Not a bad entry point for an MMORPG built using Unreal Engine 4, right?

Sources: YouTube | Transverse/Piranha

So...if following their history half way though beta this will become an arcade shooter.

Jaegerwolf:
So...if following their history half way though beta this will become an arcade shooter.

And then they'll release their next project.

Micro-macro relationship...yeah, more like microtransactions and macrotransactions (like the $500 gold 'mech).

Piranha Games killed Battletech for me. Plus this game is only announced and they're selling item packs already? We don't have any information beyond the reveal trailer. And again they are going for public funding, with core gameplay features as stretch goals. Really? $2 million for spaceship combat? So what happens if they do not reach the target? Also they are not using Kickstarter, so who knows what happens to your money if they do not reach their funding target.

Nope, nope PGI, I gave you money so you could figure out how to make Battletech work as a Multiplayer FPS, and you didn't. You do not have the reputation to announce this product and expect it to be successful.

*Jim Raynor walks in into the bar*

"Whoops, sorry, thought this was a different place."

That said, it looks interesting, and as a recovering EVE player I'm curious as to how it will work. On the other hand, we're going to be getting a lot of MMO space sims in a very short timeframe, so I'm a tad worried about market saturation.

They have not even finished Mechwarrior: Online while struggling to hold enough staff to keep it afloat and they are already trying to develop another MMO?! What a bunch of dishonest wads.

In case you do not know what I am talking about: https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/108193/mwo-a-game-discussion

First off, that bar looks exactly like the one from Starcraft II.

Second off, why do people use manned fighters for light craft when you could use drones?

Third and final off, why do they think this will elicit any interest from the space-flight/fight demographic when Star Citizen is a thing?

The Gentleman:

That said, it looks interesting, and as a recovering EVE player I'm curious as to how it will work. On the other hand, we're going to be getting a lot of MMO space sims in a very short timeframe, so I'm a tad worried about market saturation.

Yeah don't bother, more than two years after the MWO's release as an "open beta" core promised features are still missing and overall development has slowed to a crawl. MWO also lacks basic features you can find in other FPS mulitplayer games, like the ability to form a lobby, vote on your next map, and the like.

Also if any of you have bothered to check out the proposed space fighter designs some of them may look a bit, uh, familiar.

PGI is a joke of a company and the people who run it are stunningly incompetent when they aren't outright deceptive.

Not touching this at all... Piranha Games nailed me with MWO, when I got beta to that game it was a mech vs mech game with even light mechs being able to take some damage and fun so I forked out some cash, when I left I was getting 1 - 2 shotted in my Atlas heavy assault mech at long range and a boring sneak about gameplay... basically CoD with awkward controls, trying to sneak about in a 100 tonne assault mech.

I know there will be some who will say MWO is good, L2P, etc etc... just that the game was so fun when mechs could take more than 1 or 2 hits to drop, you could go toe to toe with the enemy while still having to use terrain to minimise approach damage (missiles and AC / Railgun sniping fire)... even the dodgy 2 Rail Cata's needed to land more than the 1 or 2 alphas... then a update came and boom Assaults dropped faster than Lights as they were too slow in the new MechaSniperEliteCOD Online.

... my advice: Be wary of this developer, you may not get the same game you beta test when you put cash into it. PGi follows the money, no matter what it does to the gameplay, and they want quick cash so they will let you pay to win.

paragon1:

The Gentleman:

Yeah don't bother, more than two years after the MWO's release as an "open beta" core promised features are still missing and overall development has slowed to a crawl. MWO also lacks basic features you can find in other FPS mulitplayer games, like the ability to form a lobby, vote on your next map, and the like.

Not to defend PGI, but you can form lobbies now, and for some reason they seem to be getting their shit together somehow. However mechs are still overpriced.

Ha! No fucking way.

Even if this thing see's the light of day it will face some pretty heavy competition so it will need to be either really amazing or focus on a niche sector, which I seriously doubt because..

MWO is bare bones. Even though Battletech has a lot content available to work with, after 3-4 years(?) of development and several lies the game is still just an arcade shooter played on 5-7 small maps(?). And that's pretty much it.

I think I'll check MWO forums a bit, the rage there must be stronk.

Golan Trevize:

paragon1:

The Gentleman:

Not to defend PGI, but you can form lobbies now, and for some reason they seem to be getting their shit together somehow. However mechs are still overpriced.

Still, the company leaders are actively antagonising people on twitter, reddit, and have made it a bannable offense to bad-mouth the company and/or game on third party sites. The link I gave on my previous comment has 270+ pages, a time stamp if you will, of everything the company and co has pulled for the last year.

Valok:
Ha! No fucking way.

Even if this thing see's the light of day it will face some pretty heavy competition so it will need to be either really amazing on focus on a niche sector, which I seriously doubt because..

MWO is bare bones. Even though Battletech has a lot content available to work with, after 3-4 years(?) of development and several lies the game is still just an arcade shooter played on 5-7 small maps(?). And that's pretty much it.

You are too late for that, they banned everyone who mentioned "I don't know how the fuck its called" in a negative light.

Valok:
Ha! No fucking way.

Even if this thing see's the light of day it will face some pretty heavy competition so it will need to be either really amazing on focus on a niche sector, which I seriously doubt because..

You are too late for that, they banned everyone who mentioned "I don't know how the fuck its called" in a negative light.

Saulkar:

Still, the company leaders are actively antagonising people on twitter, reddit, and have made it a bannable offense to bad-mouth the company and/or game on third party sites. The link I gave on my previous comment has 270+ pages, a time stamp if you will, of everything the company and co has pulled for the last year.

Don't get me wrong I'm probably as disappointed with the game as you are, however, it would be dishonest to say that 2014 is sucking as much as 2013.

And don't even get me started on Star Citizen.

Golan Trevize:

Too late!

*Insert poorly thought out and tangentially related rebuke*

Haha! I now have your blood boiling and your desire to academically shoot down my defense of the game. You cannot resist the urge to write a three page essay on how wrong I am to like the game!

*Insert Strawman and Ad-Hominem* - It is super effective!

P.S. Yes, I am arsing around but I genuinely want to hear what you have to say.

Saulkar:

Golan Trevize:

Too late!

Haha! I now have your blood boiling and your desire to academically shoot down my defense of the game. You cannot resist the urge to write a three page essay on how wrong I am to like the game!

To put it bluntly, SC is MWO with spaceships. Same arcadey gameplay, overpriced items and promises that someday, somehow, they'll be able to fulfill the initial premise. Still, if you like SC, more power to you.

Golan Trevize:

Saulkar:

Golan Trevize:

Too late!

To put it bluntly, SC is MWO with spaceships. Same arcadey gameplay, overpriced items and promises that someday, somehow, they'll be able to fulfill the initial premise. Still, if you like SC, more power to you.

OK, perfectly reasonable reasons. I personally have not spent any money on the game for over a year and do not intend to until they have shown sufficient momentum. Still, I am hopeful.

P.S. Did you change your freakin avatar on me?! I like it.

ok rant about PGI ? check...
rant about MWO ? check...
rant about how PGI lied / broke promises repeatedly? check..
Point out that SC is coming out and question the business decision of this? check....

it is kinda like the MWO forums here from what I can tell... only this hasn't been repeated ad nauseam ....

At least we know now what they were doing with all the money they repeatedly begged from us, promising features, our fault for expecting them to be in the same game.

Saulkar:

OK, perfectly reasonable reasons. I personally have not spent any money on the game for over a year and do not intend to until they have shown sufficient momentum. Still, I am hopeful.

P.S. Did you change your freakin avatar on me?! I like it.

Of course I did, you silly goose. ;)

Ben Lyons:
rant about MWO ? check...
rant about how PGI lied / broke promises repeatedly? check..
Point out that SC is coming out and question the business decision of this? check....

it is kinda like the MWO forums here from what I can tell... only this hasn't been repeated ad nauseam ....

At least we know now what they were doing with all the money they repeatedly begged from us, promising features, our fault for expecting them to be in the same game.

Agreed, I say we call it a day.

To anyone who is considering buying one of Transverse's founders packs, my advice would be to first do some research on PGI's other game, MWO. I bought a $60 MWO founders pack 2+ years ago, and the core gameplay is still not finished, which is a little frustrating. Before you commit between $30 and $250 (lol) just make sure you're happy with what could be a lengthy development process.

In the interests of being fair, I will also say that I have enjoyed what I've played of MWO. Its just that right now its a glorified deathmatch instead of the persistant galactic war (community warfare) that was promised.

In other news, PGIs own moderators got shadowbanned from reddit because they tried to create a company controled subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskModerators/comments/2g0cxv/subreddit_run_by_developers_violating_reddiquette/

Ben Lyons:

The MWO forums recently had a purge in which any account that had ever said negative things was banned. This game was announced the next day. I'm pretty sure it's a perfect storm of slurping noises and begging for more.

Even if it's just one guy...

Yeah as another Founder and Project Phoenix purchaser here, just run, run as far away from this as you can. If you're curious, wait till "release" and try it for free and most likely have a good laugh at the inevitable train wreck of broken promises and incompetence.

That said.

If what was discussed recently about dealings between PGI and IGP being the biggest factor in MWO's current state and the promises made weren't just horseshit, then PGI might, *might* be able to turn this around but they're going to have to work seriously hard. I can't say I'm waiting with bated breath - I'd probably suffocate, I am waiting though. Unless Niko finds my post here and bans me from the MWO forums, of course.

TL:DR Don't give these guys money unless they somehow manage to un-trainwreck MWO. The balls in your court PGI.

Arquinsiel:

The MWO forums recently had a purge in which any account that had ever said negative things was banned. This game was announced the next day. I'm pretty sure it's a perfect storm of slurping noises and begging for more.

Even if it's just one guy...

iirc, the forum accounts were also the account you logged in with, does that mean those people can't play anymore? Cause if I find I can't play my £150 of mechs because I was once critical about broken promises and lack of communication I'm going to be really pissed. Just because I've not played in a while doesn't mean I don't want to play.... with mechs I've paid for....

What a transverstity.

If they don't call their player base transverstites, I'll be a little disappointed.

I wonder how long it will take to traverse the entirety of the Transverse.

I'm done.

This is the exact kind of setting I find amazing.

And you all had to stomp on it with your truths!

Excuse me while I go and weep in the corner.

Golan Trevize:

Don't get me wrong I'm probably as disappointed with the game as you are, however, it would be dishonest to say that 2014 is sucking as much as 2013.

Okay, you're right they have lobbies. For private matches only. And the process for setting them up is incredibly unintuitive.

Basically, I agree with you but it was the kind of marginal improvement I'd expect over a month of dev time, not a year.

Also: Ads in the captchas Escapist? Really?

Piss off Piranha, the internet will not forget your deceitful actions against the Battletech community.

I really want to know what's going through people's minds when they agree to put their real names next to puff pieces for PGI.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here